Hondo's Bar

Movies I hate that begin with T & end with itanic

How do you feel about Titanic  

14 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I absolutely love this movie. It's in my all-time top 10 favorite movies of all time. I was ultra-super-mega obsessed w/ the tragedy even before the movie came out. So seeing the ship reconstructed and knowing the lengths they went to going for authenticity and historical accuracy...man, you can imagine how swept up in it I got.

Of course I've got books, documentaries and been to the traveling Titanic exhibit several times over the years (at the 100 year anniversary exhibit - I got a bunch of White Star Line replica silverware and dishes - I am obsessed w/ the horrible tragedy...it's one of my passions.

The movie itself is an undeniable technical achievement - it is a cinematic milestone of epic proportions. To simply pass it off as just a 'chic flick' is such a shame. It's two fictional characters falling and bouncing off the historical events like balls in a pachinko machine - I'd much rather have that - than 'finding' and taking two real people's 'budding romance' and dramatizing their relationship for cinema' sake.

I think I'd be much more bothered by that - than other 'mandatory' dramatized changes made for cinema's sake...of which, they were a few...but the overall result and the effort to achieve 'accuracy' and 'authenticity' is nothing short of straight-up amazing film making. It's a beautiful film. One of the best films ever made, in my opinion.

titanic-sinking.jpg

LOL - yeah, dude - hence the Plus One! My jaw dropped when I saw the first bullet point! I was like, 'No. Way...' That is insanely hardcore.

That ship went down in just about 2 hours, 40 minutes after it hit the iceberg. You could survive in that water for 'bout 20 minutes before hypothermia got ya. The first time out - the maiden voyage of a ship fucking built and billed as 'unsinkable'. What a nightmare.

What a...'oh, shit' moment that must've been - knowing in a couple of hours, everyone would be all drifting out in the middle of nowhere in lethal water...in the middle of the night. Completely unprepared - because of hubris.

I'd have spent my time building a raft outta chairs or wood or life preservers - which is actually how some people survived the waters. A lot of people refused to believe the ship could even sink - even as the waters slowly rose! They figured it would eventually 'even out' - 'it's unsinkable'! The arrogance of - the whole thing! Not just a maritime disaster, but a horrible chapter in humanity's 'quest for omnipotence' over mother nature. I remember a survivor saying, 'We were flying in the face of God.' So damn compelling, such an interesting and utterly fascinating catastrophe.

titanic-disaster-london-evening-news.jpg

Then there were the Senate hearings and investigations, the search for bodies and the controversy over eye-witness accounts on whether the ship broke in half or not. I mean, the whole...thing spoke so much about us as a species, at a time in our evolution where we were seriously crossing a threshold into 'decadence'.

It's easy to see this - perfect storm of a tragedy enter...essentially romanticized myth of legendary proportions - which it did pretty much immediately did.

• 11 months later...
  • 8 months later...