Hondo's Bar

Treasure Planet

Silent Bob

Ok, being the Disney buff I am, I've known this was coming, and I've been regretting it for years. Disney's next movie after Lilo & Stitch (which opens Friday - woo!) is a retelling of Treasure Island, set in outer space - Treasure Planet. Sound like a horrible idea? Yeah. Sound like a bad rip-off of Titan AE, which didn't do too well itself? Sure does. But, like it or not, with the voices of David Hyde Pierce, Joseph Gordon-Levitt (that kid from Third Rock from the Sun), Emma Thompson, and Martin Short, it is set to come out Thanksgiving, this year. And oh yeah, it's got songs. Johnny Reznick of the Goo Goo Dolls is providing the singing voice for the main character. So, here I was, gritting my teeth and awaiting what inevitably could be the worst idea in what is becoming a long line of bad Disney ideas. But then, today, I saw the trailer. It starts off with an incredibly well designed and imaginative opening shot and then whips us through tons of stunning shots of futuristic technology, pirate ship-shaped spaceships, stellar phenomina, and oh yeah, a cloud surfing Jim Hawkins. All with beautiful flowing realistic animation that is a welcome change from the clunky cartoony movements of Atlantis. What am I to do? What am I to say? What was once an almost guaranteed stinkfest is now looking like it could be the most visually amazing traditionally animated Disney movie since Tarzan. Could it be that Disney might finally be going back to making good movies again? Even reverting back to singing characters? (because, come on, people, the songs weren't usually such a bad thing...they are supposed to be kids movies, after all...and occasionally some of them were pretty good) Please, god, let it be true!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/disney/treasure_planet.html

HEY I Like the singing the little mermaid was good and it had singing and lets not even mention Sleeping Beauty..I love that movie.. ::sniff:: If I could only find it somewhere on VHS..hhmmm did someone say E-bay... those were good movies and I liked them and I am pretty sure lots of people liked them.. Bob you also have to remember that Disney was started in the era where if you didn't sing and tap dance you were nothing..a nobody..then there was Marilyn but hey boobs and a great butt can take you anywhere...

that is nice and all but ehh you forget that not all people have macs!!! damn all this downloading

Oh, no, SE, I've nothing against the singing. I love the singing, too. I have most've the soundtracks and pretty much every song from Oliver & Company to the present memorized. It's just that everytime I read a review or hear someone talking about a Disney movie, they're always saying "it's about time they got rid of those damn song and dance numbers, and blah blah blah". I feel like I always have to remind them that they are kids movies, to begin with. And it'll be a sad day for our culture when kids have become so jaded they no longer want to see singing cartoons.

Anyway, as for the trailer. It runs on quicktime, you don't need a Mac. I don't have a Mac, either. I hate the things.

By the by, do you have dvd? I think they re-released Sleeping Beauty to dvd not too long ago.

..then there was Marilyn but hey boobs and a great butt can take you anywhere...

Are you implying Merylin coulding sing? What about 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend'?

It's true about the sign though. As great as the songs were, it seemed silly when serious characters broke out in song. Then they were gone and it sucked. They belong there. Aladdin was my favorite movie for songs.

I've got crappy speakers on this computer, so I couldn't tell ya. I was very impressed with what I saw of the animation, though. Disney's animation seems like it's declined a little in the last few features. The effects don't really impress me as much anymore (I know it's possible for movies to make pretty much anything, on screen). The thing that does impress me, though, is the design and what looks like wonderful character animation. They must've finally gotten Glen Keane or Mark Henn back to animate characters. Jim Hawkins has Mark Henn expressions. Anyway, I just can't wait 'til they release some more footage.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

OK, I really wanted to watch this on an IMAX screen, but alas, Miami sucks (I actually wanted to see Adaptation, but that wasn't even on any normal screen near me). Not bad (Atlantis, Hunchback caliber bad I mean) but not great either (Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Lion King caliber great I mean). The visuals are the really treat. They almost had a really memorable character in Morph, which is really saying something for a shapeless blob that doesn't actually look like itself most of the time. Emma Thompson's character was very funny too. Not long enough (even by Disney standards), but I'll live. Not a feather in Disney's Cap, but it ain't no Scarlet letter either. Go if you like Disney, don't if it doesn't really do anything for you.