Hondo's Bar

Wolverine

The NZA

Have you read the series so far? The first 5 were an arc, 6 was sort of the epilogue...lotta throwbacks man, i think youd dig it.

"The End" oughta be done in February or so...ill be sure to post mini-reviews here inna meantime to let ya know, but bear in mind im a wolvy fanboy. Many over at Bendis' corner & others found Origin to be boring, i was all over that bitch.

Im'a keep hypin it till more of ya jump back on; rest assured, if the new management breaks up this Rucka & Robertson team, its prolly never gonna be this good again for a long-ass time, and any other Wolvy fans like myself are gonna re-read the trades a lot.

Wolverine # 7 Preview - Rucka scripting, Lendro Fernandez on the pencils

WOLV007.jpg

WOLV007002.jpg

WOLV007003.jpg

WOLV007004.jpg

WOLV007006.jpg

WOLV007007.jpg

So yeah, he's back to bein a superhero for a bit, art-wise...and im eatin my words as i miss Robertson. Should be fun, tho.

After Larry Hama, Wolverine isn't a book I'd think of picking up. Not that I'm comaparing Rucka to Hama, it's just that I havn't picked up Wolverine for so long I kinda forget about it when looking for new books. There were some great Sienkiwitz (sp?) books back in the day, but I really got my Wolvie fill from "Marvel Comics Presents". Ann Nocenti (another sp? scenario...) wrote some great fucking stories in that book. What ever happened to her?

It's a shame that MCP got cancelled (even with it's "MidnightSons" shit and the team up with SlapStick! and Speedball...). It was cool to get a book where you could read a Wolvie story backed with a Rawhide Kid story then flip it over and get a Ghost Rider story backed with a Iron Fist story. Plus from around 70 on there were Sam Keith covers on both sides :D and the Wolvie/Venom stuff he drew was fucking amazing....but I've really veered offa the subject as usual...Tangant Man'll freak if he sees this particular post...

Back to Wolverine - the trade was in Marvel Previews so as soon as it drops I'll hook myself up with a copy.

I really dug Origin - the bit when the claws come out for the first time coulda been the biggest "holy shit" I ever got from comics. That really blindsided me - I figured he was Dog the whole time...but as for the end - maybe I'll hear what you've got ta say about it first before I lay down the hard earned bucks...

Wow...yeah, Hama & Kubert were a fun team, but if you stopped when they did (around # 100 or so), you made the right move. Crap, till Ellis' classic "Not Dead Yet" arc - found the TPB on Ebay recently, woo hoo! Gotta have ya read that'n if ya hanvet - and Larsen's stuff was fun, but man, that book was garbage most times.

Couldnt agree more with MCP, and the fact that they finally came out with a Sam Keith TPB "Blood Hunger" almost slipped right past me, was so glad i found that one, but why havent they gotten other stuff? There was some fun Wolvy tales outside of that one & Weapon X; your Venom stuff alone'd be a trip...not familiar with Ann Nocenti but ill look her up.

As for current series, i dont know if issue 6 is in the trade or not..it damn well should be, because it really makes the Brotherhood arc stand out. Imagine Wolvy at a bar with Nightcrawler, more dead-on characterization than youve seen in 'im before - he's regretful of how things went down with the brotherhood, because he's honorable, and not hollow like the Punisher. His flaws, the familiarity with "Elf"...man, seriously, even if you dont manage to read the arc, its a damn fine stand-alone. Here's a review from the4thrail.com that does it better than i do:

Highly Recommended (9/10)

Many were disappointed in what seemed like an anti-climactic end to "The Brothers" story in Wolverine, and this issue explains why: Wolverine #5 wasn't really the end of that story arc. Instead, this issue, which can also serve as a self-contained story, gives us the important, emotional-based closure for that arc, and it also just happens to include one of my favorite friendships in comics, the one between Wolverine and Nightcrawler. Given Rucka and Robertson's sort of no-costume, street tough approach to Wolverine, you'd think that a fuzzy blue elf might be out of place, but the strength of this book so far has been the characterization, and that's the strength of this issue as well, no matter how odd the characters may look.

Which, of course, isn't to say that they look bad, because Robertson and Palmer's artwork is exceptional, and Robertson brings the same recognizable and yet slightly tweaked look to Nightcrawler that he did to Wolverine. His Nightcrawler seems taller and thinner than the one I'm used to seeing, but he's got the same kind demeanor that I expect, although subtle things like the pointed teeth in his mouth when he smiles make it easy to see why someone would think him a demon. Robertson also has some fun with Nightcrawler's tail, as the character uses it to grab peanuts or pour beer from the pitcher, and his visuals maintain the sort of playful side of the character, even as Rucka delves into the more serious side.

Honestly, the fanboy in me would have been happy with this story just because of the Wolverine-Nightcrawler interaction. Rucka nails all the things I like about this friendship, including a toast to the fallen Colossus (who was often the third member of their drinking group) and the connection between the two, where Nightcrawler sees through his friend's surly attitude to someone who needs to talk. It's clear from the script that these two know each other, that they've formed a deep bond through years of friendship, and they pick up on unspoken cues to know what the other is really thinking. I'm also quite pleased that Rucka hits on Nightcrawler's shaky faith, a great character trait that too many writers have fumbled or just dropped entirely because they weren't up to the task of writing a religious character.

At the core of this issue, though, is how Rucka sees Wolverine, and that's where the real strength of the story lies. Wolverine is unsociable, grumpy and downright ornery in this issue, and though that might seem like just a bit of characterization, it is an essential component to the story that was told in "The Brothers." Because while all of us fans might think that Wolverine cutting loose is an essential part of the character, but it's also the kind of thing that would have emotional consequences for any kind of human being, let alone someone heroic in nature, and this issue is all about those consequences.

By the end of this issue, we've seen Wolverine's more vulnerable side, the human side that keeps him from becoming a rage-driven cliche or an empty character like the Punisher, and it probably ranks this as one of the best Wolverine stories I've ever read. Certainly it puts all of "The Brothers" into a deeper context, and also provides a road map of characterization for future writers, a definitive moment for the character.

Anyway, as for "The End", i dont blame your caution, im sure it wont be cheap. And ill defintely be sure to post here knowin youre lookin for it...but im with you on Origin; i had bets goin on that one, damn near crapped myself..."it's him..?!". A fine, fine moment.

The Anne Nocenti arc "Typhoids Kiss" was the one from MCP I was pimping out and I found it for sale here for the meagre price of $4.29.

The review on the page kinda bitch-slaps the art but I like Steve Lightle, who's probably best known for his work on "Doom Patrol". I remember when I read it, and then subsequesntly re-read it, what impressed me most about it was while the regular Wolverine book was all tights and Savage Land, this story was alot deeper and more adult orientated. I'm gonna use the cliche here and say that "Typhoid's Kiss" was well ahead of it's time - at least for a mainstream comic anyways. It certainly wasn't typical mid-90s Marvel fare. Then again, MCP never was that kinda book.

She followed it up with a Ghost Rider story featuring Typhoid Mary, and although it was very good, the Wolvie one was a million times better, and then in issue 150, if I remember correctly another Typhoid Mary story with Wolvie, Daredevil and Vengeance (remember him? The cop ghost rider?).

As for the new Wolvie trade, I checked out Marvel Previews again and issue six WILL be in it. Didn't have a release date though, but I'm presuming that it's sometime in December. Til then I'll have to make due with the first ish, albeit the one that was printed in Wizard...

Just thought I'd put these pics up here just for shits and giggles...

i) Sam Keith's Wolvie and Nightcrawler cover...

51598259310.106.GIF

ii) Steve Lightle's Wolvie and Typhoid Mary...

51598259310.110.GIF

Also, I'd like to take back my comment about mid-90s comics...as you can see "Typhoid's Kiss" came out in 1992...either way I still think the point was valid..Liefield was on the loose back then too. X-Force anyone? Boy that GW Bridge was a badass...

Wow...see, i always passed up Typhoid's Kiss, cause - as an avid Wolvy fan - the man has a ton of shitty, shitty one-shots. "Rhane of Terra" is this bad medeival one; "Evolution" was some bad cult & Boomer (hate that ho), ended with them laughing at the puny humans - "Jungle Adventure" or whatever was him vs dinosaurs, then an apocalypse clone, then i think he fathered a baby, but they forgot bout that...? So yeah, mostly shit. Bloodlust was fun, the 2 Logan one-shots were alright, but im with Junker: Saga of Wolverine (4 parter) was great; it was an awesome history of the guy up till his own series (not like that horrible Wolverine Encyclopedia), and shows you all the cool shit that went down in the X-Men books way too expensive to buy.

But, hearin your recommendation's cool, Ill grab that one next chance i get; never touched it, or Rio something out of fear, but its on m'list now, thanks man.

Just be sure to post back here after the trade...if you, like some, walk away from "Brotherhood" feelin anti-climatic - and i really dont know how, i thought it delievered - again, part 6 not only ties it up well, its some of the finest characterization he's seen.

The bendis board people are right; he's busy this month - here, Venom, Daredevil, and he just got burned up into the sun in New X-Men...

Wolvie was inna scrap with Cap Wolf too, and Cap Wolf kick the Canucks ass like it wuddn't no thang.

I can't believe I own that issue...

The best way t'fill in all the Wolvie X-Men gaps is with "The Essential....." books. I only wish they started with Uncanny #1 instead a just hopping straight on t'Giant Sized X-Men, just to fill in the gaps of the books that I never read. Claremont is hit and miss as we all know, but when he hits he strikes with fury (how cheesy was that?)....

Yeah, i cant believe you kept that one, either...I had the Cap Annual where they straight-up fought - cool cover, but the fight was typical: 3 panels, then a team-up...zzz

Again, Wolverine Saga's good for his angle on the X-stuff (did you know he directly propogated mutant evolution with celestial beings, and met a leprechan? 's true), but dont forget they make esstential X-Men as well, i believe...i know they make the big-ass HC masterworks anyway. The saga stuff has fun moments, back when he was too loose a cannon, almost killin Shadowcat, Nightcralwer & such...but you get to see him bond with Collossus & the elf, the origin of the "fastball special", first time the mask comes off & his name comes up, etc...its really fun shit, and cheap too.

Man, lookin back at the shit that's happened since then...jesus, just enjoy the Rucka run when ya get to read it, its been a long time comin.

Yeah, I was actually talkin' about "Essential X-Men" there...sorry, shoulda wrote more than just "Esential...."

Wolvie and the Leprechans was in Cassidy Keep, right? Now that was a story! Actually how did Cassidy Keep move from Co. Mayo in Ireland (where it was in "Uncanny X-Men" and then last I remember in "Generation X" and then in "Hope", Chuck Austin had it in Scotland. Is there something that I missed there? :pimp:

• 2 weeks later...

Was reading about "The End" in Wizard and methinks that I will try it out. Jenkins was saying that his future people will still wear jeans and there won't be flying cars or any Star Trek stuff....

On a completely unrelated topic (well...Sam Keith did draw Wolvie...) I picked up the whole 5 issue Zero Girl limited series for 3 clams!

• 3 weeks later...

Ive yet to read the fill-in artists' work, but from those pages, he aint bad. More action-movie-hero than Robertson, but it seems fun, and Rucka says he's continuing the direction the last arc went in: problems Wolvy cant solve with his claws. I couldnt be more excited with this book. Anyway, here's the cover to # 10: its not Ribic, but its sharp!

1_9.jpg

Also, some info on the Wolverine: The End front - An inteview with Paul Jenkins

LOGAN_1.jpg

PAUL JENKINS ON WOLVERINE: THE END

This week marks the start of Wolverine’s end, that is, in issue #1 of Wolverine: The End, a six issue miniseries, written by Paul Jenkins with art by Claudio Castellini. Newsarama spoke with Jenkins about the series, the character, and all that Weapon X stuff in the way.

And no, it wasn’t a coincidence that Jenkins was tapped for the writing gig on the Wolverine installment of Marvel’s The End projects. After all, he showed the beginning in Origin. “That was the idea – and writing the first and last story of Wolverine is pretty cool,” Jenkins said. “I feel pretty lucky to have been able to tell these stories with the character. With the origin of Wolverine, we did not do this mad, Weapon X-type story, but rather sought to look at who this guy is as a person. In the case of the last story, the question is then, ‘what’s this person’s most definitive moment? What defines him and what can you say about that? What’s the last, ultimate thing that can be said about the character?’”

Unlike Origin though, The End won’t be completely devoid of continuity, although, like the aforementioned miniseries, Jenkins tends to stress character over continuity. In the case of The End however, continuity has to play a role just by virtue of the story’s setting – that is, Wolverine’s continuity has all happened to him.

“I think moreso than in Origin, we come up with little bits of answers that pertain to the old continuity,” Jenkins said. “But my feeling is that I hope someone could come in off the street, never having read Wolverine, and understand that this is the last Wolverine story, and here’s this guy’s life. With that in mind, if we’re going to do anything that pertains to past continuity, we better do it as it pertains to the story instead of just expect that readers know that he’s lost his memory.

“That said, we really do have a very in-depth look at him as a person, having arrived as a much older person, and having gone through what would be about 200 years or more of life. He’s still not really old, but he’s getting older. He’s been beaten up, and at this point, just wants to live on his own, but things develop around him.”

The miniseries starts with an aged Logan living a hermit-like existence in the woods. His solitary existence is upset when he learns of the death of an acquaintance, and the subsequent funeral opens up memories the man had long since forgotten – or suppressed (a possibility put forth by Jenkins in the story is that Logan’s healing factor extends to his psyche as well, blocking out traumatic memories and experiences, allowing him to survive unscathed, emotionally and mentally). The memories will then head into some familiar areas for Wolverine, long-time readers, and, thanks to X-Men 2 anyone who may pick up the comic without knowing the character’s long and convoluted background.

“We’re going to get into some of the specific things about Wolverine – namely, the Weapon X area,” Jenkins said. “When I was asked to do this story, they asked what would be my idea of the ultimate, final Wolverine story, and I told them that you have to look at Weapon X. At that point, they all groaned and pretty much came back with a unanimous, ‘Fucking hell, not Weapon X…’

“But think about it - Weapon X was the ultimate question and the ultimate problem that this guy has always had. Forget the fact that he can’t remember, forget this and forget that. If you want to talk about the one moment that defined Wolverine, it was when he was raped – violated by Weapon X. When I told that to Marvel, they were quiet and then said, ‘Oh yeah – now that you put it in those terms, yeah.’

“So what we’re really talking about is that if this guy is defined by one event, it is that he was violated completely by these people, and they did something to him that no one should ever endure. So the big Wolverine question is how does he resolve that? How does it all work out for him in the end?”

The inclusion of Logan’s Weapon X years will lead to some large revelations, but, as Jenkins sees it, he’s not including them for the sake of gratuitously sating fanboy desires. “All the revelations about Weapon X are done for the sake of saying, ‘If he gets to this point in his life, how can we describe and understand the things that have driven him, including the most important thing that has driven him over the years?’ At the beginning of the story, he just wants to forget about it, but he really doesn’t. When the subject is then brought to him, it’s then something that he can put his finger on, and it just seems that it’s the right time to go after it.”

That’s the model Jenkins had, and the approach he took with the older Wolverine – a warrior who could not escape the war, because it was still a part of him in a sense. Until he resolves his past, he will never be free. While “who is he?” was the seminal question about the character that Jenkins sought to answer in Origin, he’s also putting his stamp on the other question that has always dogged the character – “What the hell happened to him?” – once and for all.

“Wolverine is chased by his past, and he needs to work out if what he thinks happened did actually happen, and if this really did affect him,” Jenkins said. “It’s his past that he needs to try and catch up with, because he doesn’t remember it so well, but he does know that something has been done to him, and that has had a profound affect on his life, as well as deeply affecting the man that he would become.”

And if those weren’t teases enough, Jenkins offered up one final hint – another door that he’s looking to finally close with The End. “We have a major revelation in it about a character that’s long been hinted at to have ties to Wolverine – draw your own conclusions from that.”

LOGAN002.jpg

Art piece 1

Art piece 2

• 10 months later...

Millar & Romita Jr's "Enemy of the State" looks fun...the idea's been kinda done before, but it looks like theyre pushin the envelope, cant wait to see where Millar takes this one...after Wanted, i think he's the man to take this up a notch. Toss in a potentially new badass villian, and im hyped!

PS Romita Jr should always draw people in the rain.

wolverine23.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dont know who else here's a wolvy fan, but from now till Oct. 26th, you can vote to convince Millar who Wolverine should fight, via a poll over at Marvel...right now, Venom's winning at 36% ( :D ), followed by Bullseye (could be interestin), Blade, Silver Samurai, Namor, and Mystique. Vote! Milliar might listen, i think.

• 4 weeks later...

...someone didnt read "Ultimate War"....your boy's not secretary of defense any more, id image he's hanging out in the dark, thinking bout how much money he's lost, drinking away his troubles....waiting for the sweet, merciful end that only m'boy Wolvy can bring him.

I mean, he did it for Magneto, why not Tony?

wolverine249.jpg

like a can opener, baby

• 2 weeks later...

So, in another week or two, Stark will be educated, and after him...? Evil Wolverine vs everybody!

Newsarama brings you a 9-page preview of # 23, the fourth chapter of Millar & Romita Jr's Enemy of the State.

Marvel has provided Newsarama with nine pages of Wolverine #23, part four of Mark Millar and John Romita Jr.’s “Enemy of the State” storyline, pitting Wolverine against….virtually the rest of the Marvel Universe. According to Millar, the carnage will cut close to home as one of Wolverine’s upcoming victims will turn out to be a well-known X-Men – and a funeral in issue #26.

As previously reported, issues #20-#22, the first three parts of “Enemy of the State” are being collected in a “Must Have” edition, which will be on sale December 22nd. Issue #23 will be on sale December 15th.

Marvel’s solicitation for issue #23 reads:

“Brainwashed by the Hand, an evil Wolverine is wreaking havoc all over the country. Elektra's tracking his trail of destruction...and tracking her are a couple dozen Hand ninjas... Sitting back and watching with glee is Baron Wolfgang Von Strucker...whose work and personal lives are about to get a little too close for comfort, thanks to The Gorgon.”

The opening pages of issue #23 find Nick Fury and Elektra trying to make sense of Wolverine's trail of carnage.

WOLV023002s_col.jpg

WOLV023004_col.jpg

WOLV023005_col.jpg

WOLV023006_col.jpg

WOLV023007_col.jpg

WOLV023008_col.jpg

WOLV023009_col.jpg

WOLV023011_col.jpg

...ok, so that was mostly Elektra, but DD fans'll surely enjoy seeing JR JR's pencils on her again. And if that's not enough, lookit who ends up in Hell's Kitchen the next issue...!

wolv.jpg

Uhm...Super Donut does, if he ever comes back. And yeah, that team was short-lived, given that Wolvy & the Hulk dont get along, and Spidey's not usually a team guy either.

You should check out New Avengers when it starts soon; half that team is on board, with Captain America.

SB - whaddya think of Romita Jr's work? I think he's progressed in his years, but he still draws people best when theyre sulking in the rain, i think.

Bet you do, Chiefy.

I've always liked JRJr's artwork. I know some people have accused him of being a little sloppy sometimes. I've heard him call that his "deadline style"..."whatever gets done by the deadline, that's my style". And I think for the most part it works pretty well. You're right, he's definitely getting better too. This stuff you're showing is some of the finest I've seen out of him. And whoever they got to do the colors really knows how to work with his style.