Hondo's Bar

City of Heroes

BigChiefSlapaho

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.  Will be resuming the updates to City of Heroes ASAP.  Info has been tight for a while.  The members of the forum at COH are expecting the release of the beta any day now.  Game was expected for final release in Summer of this year.  Let's cross our fingers & hope one of us dorkies gets a shot at the game.

Oh... also... I'm one of the moderators here now... so... not that I know what to do with all this immense power... but I'll be watching you guys... watching & waiting...

• 1 month later...

Ok, first update on this in a long freakin' time.  Here's the deal.  The COH site has been quiet for a bit, haven't been uploading a whole lot of information, but just enough for us to know they're not out of business or anything.

Expecting a huge display of their product @ this year's E3.  After which, the beta may or maynot be released.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I know this topic has been long dead... but since revisiting the site this week, I feel its a good time to get to know City of Heroes again.

Their site has progressed tremendously and most of the areas describing powers & types of hero origins are done. The enemies section has had several major updates with new enemy groups added often. Better yet, the screenshot page has been updated a few times... and its orgasmic.

Give it a looksie City Of Heroes

Nah, they got together w/ a big MMORPG company and are restructuring the game. They're working on a Blizzard-esque time table. At least they'll get the game working right the first time. I'll wait.

Too many MMORPG's coming out tho. SW:Galaxies is coming soon. Knights of the Old Republic will shortly follow. There's talk about a Matrix MMORPG. Too many monthly fees. I need a jobby job.

• 3 weeks later...

From the frontpage of www.cityofheroes.com

Hey gang! I’ve been asked to provide an open letter detailing something every City of Heroes fan wants: NEWS! Yep. Some honest to goodness news. So here we go...

As many of you know, MMORPG’s take a lot of testing – and we’ve been doing that here for quite some time. Balancing a game of such epic proportions is nothing less than a Herculean effort. And we’ve come up with some good stuff – but as a result, we won’t be able to start-up the Beta at the end of March like we originally thought. The game, however, is really going to benefit. I don’t want to promise a specific date for Beta until it is rock solid, because that’s what is most fair to you guys.

For the next three or four months, we’re going to put our noses to the proverbial grindstone. We’re working on the game and nothing else, so you’ll see few, if any, updates here on the web site during that time. Why three or four months? Well, E3 is right around corner – and expect City of Heroes to come out of the box with a bang. You can look for Statesman to return to the web page with a vengeance in May – and then we’ll start letting our cats out of the bag.

Now for a couple of exciting staffing changes. Michael Lewis, our initial investor, has recently joined us as interim CEO. Those devoted fans who’ve followed us from the beginning might remember that it was partly Michael’s vision to create this game in the first place. I can’t even begin to tell you how much excitement and enthusiasm it gives the team.

Rick Dakan is now our official Fiction Writer. Yep – the big guy who’s penned the great Paragon City histories and the villain group backgrounds is going to be focused entirely on the fiction side of the game. We want City of Heroes to be a game of stories – where the players determine the result – and having Rick as our #1 writer is the best way to do that.

We’ve also hired several more artists and programmers in order to continue the growth of the game. And if you’re interested in getting into the game industry – keep your eyes peeled to the Cryptic Studios web site for openings.

Now what about moi? Good question. Statesman is kinda shifting his role – I’m now Producer and Lead Game Designer. Needless to say, I’m not getting much sleep anymore! But if you’ve followed my Statesman’s Statements or my interviews, I have a passion for super-heroes and comic books. Heck, comic book ink runs through my veins. I want City of Heroes to be the game that brings all of us fans – gamers, comic book readers, super-hero enthusiasts – into one big melting pot. A place where we can meet – fight evil – and then bask in the glory. As I said, I won’t be as active on the site as I’ve been, but I’ll be back – armed with tons of stuff on the game we’re all so excited about.

So there you go: news! Maybe not the best – but certainly not the worst. Cryptic Studios and NC Soft are absolutely dedicated to making the best game we can. So, in the short term, we won’t be able to do as much as we’d like on the web site, but in the end, it will all pay off.

See you in Paragon City.

-Jack Emmert

Statesman

• 2 months later...

As you may or may not know, MMORPGs (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games) are the shit. but the same ole' knight andd wizard stuff gets old.... however, the crazy folks over at cryptic studios are comming up with a very interesting Concept. City Of Heroes.

This game will be about making your own superhero, picking your own superpowers and even designing your own Costume!!! you are then placed in a city with other superhero-wannabes and have to prove yourself and earn fame. you save people, fight villians, prevent muggings or just run around and throw cars at pickpockets if that's what you want. go to their site, 'cause it's a cool Idea. and open beta for it will be starting soon.

Hey... here's an idea.

Thinking ahead to the release of this game... I was wondering what type of hero I would design my character to be. The COH website goes in depth on the classification of hero's available for choosing, as well as shows a small list of powers you can make use of when decorating your guy...

So... what type of hero would you make? What attributes would you like to mess around with?

I guess for me, its a toss up between being a Gadgeteer class or a Cyberware class hero. Those who know me know I've always been into the Iron Man thing (even though he fucks sheep), and I guess I'd like to model a character somewhat like War Machine or something. Being a gadgeteer would allow him to use a ton of special weapons made / found along the way. Being a cyberware would make his abilities built in (not requiring special add ons) and powered by "batteries" for quick recharge (yet not as frequent use), so less variability but more specialization. He'd definitely have to shoot some mad stuff... maybe beam weapons, maybe missles of somesort. I'd like him to be able to fly, but I'd trade that off for strength if I had to. If I could get him an armored look I'd like to make him somewhat of a tank & be resistant to physical damage somewhat (not invulnerable, just thick).

So what are your ideas? Check out the site & describe your hero.

I'd go for a superior human, myself. I'll have to see where they draw the line between Superior Human and Gadgeteer, because it'd be cool to have gauntlets and grappling hook guns and such, without having to go in the whole Iron Man direction. Not sure about the costume, yet, but I think whatever it was would have to have a trenchcoat and a fedora, like an updated Rorschach. Dunno, yet. They should put a program on there that shows you all the character options so people can start figurin' it out.

Right... the idea of maintaining one extremely large adaptive city where thousands of people can physically impact the appearance of the city w/ skyscrapers & other objects has been done a zillion times for sure! :D

Name another comic book style superhero game that's MMORPG.... still waiting... there is none. It's the first of its kind and so far is promising to dethrone EQ, Ultima, and many of the other MMORPG in playability & popularity.

It's funny how nobody walked into the "Capcom" thread & said the same thing... "This fighting game stuff is boring & old school"