• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

First nail in the coffin

Variety Staff

The Simpsons” has lost one of its most recognizable voices. Harry Shearer, who voices Mr. Burns, Ned Flanders and Principal Skinner, is leaving Fox’s animated series after 26 seasons.

He tweeted the news on Wednesday night.

“This because I wanted what we’ve always had: the freedom to do other work,” he wrote.

His message suggested that his departure was over a contract dispute. Shearer wrote that the lawyer for “Simpsons” producer James L. Brooks’ delivered the news: “‘Harry will not be part of it, wish him the best.'”

“Simpsons” exec producers Matt Groening, Al Jean and Brooks confirmed the news, releasing a statement that read “Harry Shearer was offered the same deal the rest of the cast accepted, and passed. The show will go on and we wish him well. Maggie took it hard.”

They added that the show will recast characters like Burns and Flanders “with the finest voiceover talent available” rather than killing them off.

Fox recently renewed the venerable series for two more seasons through 2017.

The rest of the “Simpsons” voice cast recently signed two-year extensions, logging on for seasons 27 and 28. Production on season 27 has already begun without Shearer.

The show has survived contract issues before, although without losing its cast members. In 2011, 20th Century Fox Television looked to cut costs of the aging show by dealing a hefty pay cut to the voice cast. The cast did eventually agree to the cut after tense negotiations, though the salary reduction was not as steep as the studio originally proposed.

The season 26 finale of “The Simpsons” will air Sunday on Fox.

• 4 months later...

Al Jean: Simpsons 'likely' to end after season 30

You're renewed through season 28, with the cast signed on with options through season 30. Do you want to do more after 30?

It's quite possible that we don't have to go through the whole negotiation for 30. I wouldn't be stunned if we stopped at 28, but my bet is on at least 30. But then you'd have to resign them again. If you made me pick one, I'd say the likeliest is ending after 30, but I've been wrong before. I thought five seasons was good when I got there (laughs).

Have you thought about what a series finale of The Simpsons would look like?

If it should end, we want it to be a fulfilling ending for the viewer. To be honest, there was one point where we thought it might end in season 23, with the Christmas episode, "Holidays of Future Passed," (1989) but we didn't end there, so no plans at the moment. I had an idea, I thought it'd be cool if the last episode ended with them getting ready for the Christmas pageant that appeared in the first episode, so that the whole series was a loop that didn't have any beginning or end. That's my two cents — but no one has approved that or anything.

138th_Episode_Spectacular_(Simpsons_Now_and_Then).png

lqPoI.gif

xlzd3xvoe94ooqbxapqs.gif

Bartkira_cover.jpg

I thought it'd be cool if the last episode ended with them getting ready for the Christmas pageant that appeared in the first episode, so that the whole series was a loop that didn't have any beginning or end.

God, I'll pull the trigger myself.

Just get 'em ready pa. I'll make it quick.

• 2 months later...

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/10/8382545/the-simpsons-dvd-releases-ending-blu-ray-fox

Fox is discontinuing home video releases of The Simpsons, said series showrunner Al Jean on Twitter yesterday.

"I personally am [very] sorry to see DVDs discontinued," said Jean. "We did [audio commentaries] purely for the love of hearing ourselves talk."

Earlier reports weren't clear about the fate of The Simpsons on Blu-ray, since Jean used the term "DVD." But a source at Fox Home Entertainment confirmed to Polygon that the company is ending production of all physical disc releases, both DVD and Blu-ray box sets, for individual seasons of the series. Fox has put out 18 seasons of The Simpsons on DVD since 2001 — the first 17, plus season 20 — with Blu-ray versions alongside them starting with season 13 in 2010.

simpsons-dvd-image.0.jpg

The reasoning behind Fox's decision to end production of Simpsons box sets comes down to the "collapse of [the] DVD market and rise of downloads," according to Jean. But the Fox Home Entertainment source told Polygon that home video is still a major source of revenue for Fox, and pointed out that The Simpsons is a special case because of its digital presence in the form of Simpsons World, the series' streaming archive.

Fox launched Simpsons World last October, providing on-demand streaming access to all episodes of The Simpsons (569 to date, with season 26 airing currently). Simpsons World is available on the web and in Fox's FXNow app; both require authentication through a participating pay-TV provider, and are accessible in the U.S. only. Asked about the regional restriction, Jean said, "That really bothers us too; all I can say is we keep pushing to get everything available to all."

Jean added that he and others involved with The Simpsons will continue recording audio commentaries, with plans for them to be made available digitally alongside episodes in Simpsons World. There's also the possibility of Fox producing a "master DVD when (if) show ever goes off air," said Jean.

Sucks - I was committed! I got Seasons 1 - 12 and 15 on DVD...aaand Seasons 14 n 16 on bluray. I hoping to have the whole series.

Seasons 1 - 9 are part of my DNA code. I got those as soon as they came out on DVD. A few years ago, I decided to start working on completing the series after I saw the later seasons going for $15 at Best Buy.

Watching the seasons from where I stopped watching years ago was cool 'cuz I was watching Simpson episodes I'd never seen before and they were from like, the early 2000s and all the references were so dated - it was a surreal experience. Like, "Cool - brand new Simpsons season! Wow - an episode devoted to buying a computer..."

The Simpsons seasons have always been great buys - loaded w/ extras and the commentaries rock. I hope they eventually finish putting the whole series out in a physical format.

And Harry Shearer is staying after all - they called his bluff.

I have seasons 1-12 on dvd, and as I've said many times here before, as far as I'm concerned I own every episode of The Simpsons. I totally agree with you that seasons 1-9 was the golden age (although if we're being honest I'd say seasons 3-9 (with a few eps from 2) was really the greatest era).

The first nine seasons of The Simpsons are ingrained in me on a level normally reserved for religion. Or as you say Nemo part of my DNA. I have no doubt that if I had never seen The Simpsons growing up that I'd be a very different person today. I often joke about it, but a lot of my understanding of American culture, history and politics came directly from The Simpsons. My budding love of pop culture, was vindicated and embiggened. As we all know it was far from the coolest thing in the world to read comic books in the mid 90's, eleven and twelve year old ASC used to pretend to only collect them for art reference. I'm certain that seeing the most popular show in the world pay tribute to, discuss, parody and obsess over comic books, sci fi, weird old movies, weird old music etc helped give me to the courage to embrace my nerdiness openly in school (not that I was bullied or anything, but it's still tough to feel like the odd one out).

Because of all this, it hurts me when I realise that The Simpsons has been crap for far longer than it was good. My brain struggles to wrap itself around that. Probably the greatest and most influential tv show and one of the greatest works art, full stop, of the 20th century. And when I'm flicking through the channels, I wouldn't even consider watching it it's gotten so bad. Fucking Bizarro World man.

The first nine seasons of The Simpsons are ingrained in me on a level normally reserved for religion.

giphy.gif

LOL! Seriously, a lot of who I am - stems from that legendary time when the Simpsons spoke it's own language and you were lucky enough to understand. Springfield was home. I remember first catching them on the Tracey Ullman Show and calling them the Simpletons. I remember being pumped for the first Christmas episode...I use to record the show religiously on VHS starting w/ Season 2...I was 9. I'd analyze that show on a freeze-frame level. It was obsessive...I was already a budding animation freak - I studied it, man. Still got all my tapes of the precious first-airings...and I made it a point to record any movie trailers that popped up during commercial breaks - my form of time-stamping! LOL!

The old-timey jokes and obscure sci-fi / movie references - I didn't get a lot of them, but connected with for some reason. As I got older, I'd recognize things and understand jokes that I knew by heart - it was the show that kept on giving even when you weren't watching! I remember seeing Citizen Kane for the first time and screaming, "It's Burns' mansion!" LOL! "I know those gates...and that music!"

Ah, the 'classic 9'...gold!

F6E.gif?2354

tumblr_mq749sQiGw1qfrrv2o1_1280.gif

ASC hit the nail on the head. I would make references of bits of pop culture to my parents, some Beatles stuff or song lyrics from certain songs (My name is Luka, I live on the second Flo-or!). My mom would be like where the hell did you hear that and most of the time it was from the Simpsons. For me I can pinpoint the moment when things changed with Phil Hartman's last episode (Bart the Mother, with the lizards Bart raises after killing a bird) I remember seeing that episode, even though I was pretty young, I would have considered myself a Phil Hartman fan back then and knew the show was gonna be different after that. If I could +1 all this Simpsons nostalgia talk between ASC and Nemo I would. How about a good ol' fashioned :FHD: for the both of yehs.

I'd love for them to do a Halloween Special - that was basically a half-hour movie-version of Bart vs the Space Mutants. I'd seen them do a Lego special and a Family Guy...thing and a Futurama crossover.

I've always dreamed of a Bart vs the Space Mutants episode. With retro stuff being 'normal' now, hardcore fans would love it and it can be entertaining on it's own for the casual.

dscn3506.jpg?w=500

The movie, though: Should've taken place in Springfield. Burns should've been the antagonist. Homer flipping the bird made me cringe...the same w/ Marge yelling 'goddamn bomb'. It was a'ight - it was like a really long episode of the Simpsons. It was disappointing, though. I wanted it to be more of a celebration of all things Simpsons...it felt like the tv show would cameo here n' there.

I can watch current episodes - I always stop n' watch if I bump into it. They haven't left me w/ an impact that I know at what time and day they air so I can catch it. They're definitely not horrible - just really different...borderline shallow. The times and humor have obviously changed - I give 'em credit for surviving this long.

Edited by Little Nemo McFly

Oh, yeah - I forgot about that part.

No, I immediately rolled my eyes. I was like, "Awwww...really? We taking it there?" I shook my head like a disappointed parent. Flanders yelling, "Penis!" when he hit the window was funny! "Bountiful penis...amen."

I didn't need to see it, though. I mean, I got the joke - I remember Homer n' Marge doing the same bit - but...it just didn't fit the Simpsons I knew. There was definite disconnect for me. (shrugs) I hope to never see Milhouse's dinky either in a sequel. Don't care how 'clever' the reveal is.

natural-born-kissers.gif

bart-simpson-penis.jpg

simps2-620x.jpg