Hondo's Bar

Cowboy Bebop

Guest Yahve

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bebop is a great series, I love it to death but I did always feel that it suffered from Multiple personalities. I just felt that the main story arc of the show was just so damn friggen dark that things like Ed and stuff just didn't gel with where the series went. It's like there is a happy go lucky-ish adventure series sandwiched between a very dark John Woo Hong Kong action flick. Still has to be watched by anyone who is an anime fan.

• 9 years later...

Cowboy Bebop (finally) releasing in Blu-Ray form in North America

Funimation announced that Shinichiro Watanabe's classic Cowboy Bebop television anime will be released on Blu-ray and DVD in North America in December.

The 26-episode series will be released on DVD, standard Blu-ray, and in Amazon and Funimation.com premium Blu-ray/DVD editions. The two Premium Editions will each feature different packaging and premium items, but their precise details will be announced later.

Funimation describes the story:

Explore the far reaches of the galaxy in this undeniably hip series that inspired a generation – and redefined anime as an indisputable art form.

The Bebop crew is just trying to make a buck. This motely lot of intergalactic loners teams up to track down fugitives and turn them in for cold hard cash. Spike is a hero whose cool façade hides a dark and deadly past. The pilot Jet is a bruiser of a brute who can't wait to collect the next bounty. Faye Valentine is a femme fatale prone to breaking hearts and separating fools from their money. Along for the ride are the brilliant, but weird, hacker Ed and a super-genius Welsh Corgi named Ein. On their own, any one of them is likely to get lost in the sprawl of space, but together, they're they most entertaining gang of bounty hunters in the year 2071.

The anime streaming service Daisuki announced last year that it intends to stream the series before it is released on home video.

Bandai Entertainment previously held the license to the series. The series originally aired in Japan in 1998-1999.

3804429-6306133870-13917.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got my Amazon set a week ago. Was holding off for the blu-ray rerelease (which was announced years ago) to show this to the wife. We got through about 3 episodes and I was pretty underwhelmed by the transfer. Realized this morning that this release includes DVDs of the series as well.

We had been watching the DVD copy of Disc one wacko.png

Word to the wise, the blu-rays start on 6th disc in the set....

• 2 years later...

So I finally "get" your name Space...Looking forward to diving back in when college allows.

Thats where it came from, yup. I watched bootleg copies of the first 2 episodes as the show was airing in Japan and fell in love. It started coming out here on VHS with a whopping 2 episodes per tape. Then the DVD came out which had 5 episodes!! I bought it without actually owning a DVD player. This was actually the reason I was excited for the PS2, so I'd have something to watch it on!! LOL!!