Hondo's Bar

Rurouni Kenshin / Samuri X

Sango

Ok, I know have the series + the OAVs in its entirety (except for the last two, workin on that) on VCD courtesy of mr Spiffytee, and Im very much in his debt.

Ill say more about why this is fastly becoming my favorite anime series when im closer to finishing it, see how it turns out...

Finally got to watch the first OAV tho, i think it's "Trust"...I was right, Samurai X is in a different style than the series, and not just animation-wise - its a lot darker, more serious stuff. Dont get me wrong, the series is again really really good but I cant wait to watch more of the movies, theyre really fucking impressive, add a whole new dimension to the character.

Spiffy, if you see this before I get a hold of ya - i know you said I could watch the first one where im at in the series; is it ok to watch the second one yet or no? Lizi-chan said there's no reason not to watch em all but i dont want anything spoiled or seen before I should...

(also, did you notice any of the easter eggs on your VCD set? Ive found a music video on one disc, and OAV disc 1 has a whole other anime at the end that ive never heard of...check out the end of disc 20 for some cool japanese game trailers)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, where you are at, it doesn't really matter now what order anymore, as long as you don't watch the tv series out of order. the oav (2 disc) is pretty much right down your alley. The movie (single movie, spans 2 discs) is pretty much a side story, like an episode of the tv series, only longer.

the reviewers are right about the middle being the big part of the series.

Ha - im on the recap special on 21 right now, we'll see....i think that CG was just the game (Mark of the Wolf - Fatal Fury 4, last game for Dreamcast)'s intro, when it finished they went to the next ones.

Cool, watchin the movies tonite then...any word back on Lizi-chan's Seisouhen? She said you could borrow it & try to copy to VCD, so get to it when ya can or lemem know if i should pick it up, buddy.

Man, those Samurai X OAV's were fuckin cool...cant believe i have to wait till the series is over to see the next one. Im checkin out the movie tomorrow night, like Spiffy said, it looks like a longer episode, here's to hoping its a good sidestory.

PS Timbo - those easter eggs are gettin weirder...you see the ones at the end of OAV disc 2?

Oh, and the soundtrack(s) you sent were really cool, but i found one that im not sure is on there...go download it when you get a chance & lemme know what you think:

TM Revolution - Heart of Sword (B.D. remix) aka "essental matt mix", its pretty cool.

If disc 22 was somehow the last one, id haunt your family for generations. That shit's mean...

As much as im lovin this, tho, i do wish i could see more in the style of the OAV's - does anyone know if the team behind them has put out anything else? Theyre a lot more somber (no speical movies, none of that) but really impressive...

right you are, tm revolution's ending theme is one of my favorite songs along with the super fast opening song that chick sings.. further on, you will find some commercials with the lead singer in em. not to ruin it, but you might not recognize him - he should wear more. there's also a music video with him (he's supposed to be part of a group, but it's just him) and he looks narcissist-like.

Saw the music video - yeah he does look that way. Seriously, go download that mix, youll like it.

Oh, you & Yahven both like the opening theme, "one half" i think its called, with the minnie mouse chick singing fast...i always fast forward that. Now, the end song, "Its gonna rain", thats a lot cooler.

(Im past 23 now, lets see how much they had left after all of that...@#$% that was climactic)

Yeah, im halfway through disc 25 now - i can see its gone back to its episodic nature, but now thats ok cause after all ive seen i care enough about the characters, so its cool.

Ill see if others are right about it being dragged out towards the end tho, but seriously im still enjoyin it.

• 2 weeks later...

Beats the crap outta me; im really greatful the Shinsen Gumi did such a good job fansubbing the series but the anime they tag on as extras is no-namer shit that doesnt look very good to be honest, but i cant complain; it is free.

Oh, all those j-pop adds for TM Revolution & that other guy, they look like freaks!

Disc 35 as i recall has solely the unrealeased finale on it (outside of more freebies); its a quiet, serene ending to the series with what strikes me as an interestin/odd use of anime and real life shots, check it out - its at least more conclusive than the ending of the Fusui arc you just saw.

Like Eva tho, im figuring the OAV's at the end are the series' true ending. I really wanna see more by the artistis who did Trust & Betrayl, i loved those ones.

ah! so you think that trust and betrayl is good enough to top your favorite, ninja scroll? everyone out there needs to check out the oav for kenshin. i know it's been said about a kajillion times.

disc 35 is really nice. the last episode wasn't included in the dvds? are you nuts? they left it at the crappy fusui stuff? that sucks cahjones. i'd be pissed. that one has beautiful piano selections (just wish the music was of higher fidelity.) it also had effects such as smoke and water. nice touches. bigger subtitle font too.

really enjoyed that wrapup. :D

Wow, now that Spiffy's seen it, fuck the spoilers! haha...

seriously, that one's unaired, if Yahven buys the rest of the DVD's, the Fusui arc is where it (abrubtly) ends.

There was some good piano in that finale, eh? Im glad you liked it.

Now get to talkin to lizi-chan, i at least wanna hear if the final OAV's do a good job topping it off!

PS ok yeah Ninja Scroll is the best one shot thing out there to get people into it, i think, but Kenshin/Samurai X...if you watch just the OAV's, its good. If you watch them where youre supposed to, where the characters & such mean something...its badass. No special moves, no "oro?" none of the things one mightve enjoyed, just...just a helluva story and beautiful anmiation at that. Really sealed the deal as the series becoming my favorite. Again, i cant thank ya enough...

You know a decent analogy for the first 2 OAVs? Theyre what Star Wars: episode 1 & 2 shouldve been, yovue seen the later stuff, you really wanna know how things went down...yovue got some idea but what happened is ten times cooler...

PS Spiffy did you get the link on the Kenshin manga translations ive found? The reason its important is.. *mad spoilers*

...you remember Tomoe's lil brother in "Betrayl", Eziki or somethin? In the manga, there's not only more Battousai background stuff, there's a "revenge" arc ive read of where he comes hunting down Himura to avenge Tomoe...! That shit has to be cool.

Also, if you look at the wallscrolls different sites have, ive seen at least 2 with Kenshin standin next to characters that werent in the series, im not sure why that is...

• 1 month later...

Finally saw Seisouhen, the final arc in OAV's...wow. Covers a lot of bases.

I wont spoil much, but its a 2-episode series, the first of which is a review of the high points of the Kenshin series basically...which is really cool 'cause you get to see some of its great moments done by the sharp animation crew of Samurai X: Trust & Betrayl, and those prequels are finally tied to the series.

To those who've watched all (or most of) the series, i cant recommend it enough...its a great finale. Thing is, its not made for those who havent watched the sereis before, much less previous OAV's.

For those interested, the DVD sees domestic release in a few days (March 25th), i intend to buy it later down the road. However, the fansubs are great quality - tho i think the translation is off in bits of the first episode - and can be downloaded from Kazaa or i can lend em to you in mpg format. Serioulsy, the series ended alright if you were able to see the unrelaesed final episode, but this one really ties things up. What a great series, prolly sitll my favorite.

Dont worry, you went above & beyond gettin the entire series out my way, im in your debt...

did you get to watch these OAV's yourself yet? You and Chihiro really should when tests are done, the two of you'll really dig em. Yahven too if he's far enough into the series.

• 2 weeks later...

They finally got round to releasing Samurai X: Betrayal on DVD in the UK. I saw the OAV fansubbed, but the translation was less than amazing and video quality was very poor. But now I've seen it all, and it is incredible. Also, have some time off Uni and 30 more of the TV series to watch. Ahhh, life is good.

For those that have already seen the OAV, check out

this pretty nice Anime Music Video.

You probably don't want to watch this if you haven't seen the 4-part OAV yet, as it contains some spoilers.

While you're there, look at the Cowboy Bebop - Kung Fu Fighting AMV, the only one I've seen where the guy has actually lip-synched the video to the lyrics.

Cool, someone else who appreciates how badass anime music vids can be! Check this thread when youve a chance

The Kenshin OAV's will not dissapoint...watch more of the series if you can, and check out its finale OAV's, damn theyre good too.

For Kenshin anime music vids...if you get a chance, jump on Kazaa and get the Trust/Betrayl Samurai X ones put to "U2- Bloody Sunday" and "VAST - Touched", damn that last one's one of my favorites.