Hondo's Bar

Metal Gear Solid 3

alter ego

• 5 weeks later...

Hope ya did, SOF.

Any actual US release date on Subsistence yet? I see the ISO's for the japanese one online, tempted to download that and guess what's goin on....hell, im re-playing the original MGS lately. Im even looking forward to just waching the cutscenese spliced together.

ps Bishop, do you have the DVD for the document of MGS2? always meant to see that...

Kojima Productions and Konami today announced a limited edition version of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1, a pre-order bonus.

The limited edition of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence is a three-disc set including the Subsistence, Persistence, and Existence discs. The Existence bonus disc (not available in the regular edition) includes a 3.5 hour movie splicing together all of the cutscenes from Metal Gear Solid 3.

Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 is a special-edition DVD gift for fans who pre-order Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for PlayStation 2. Shipping soon to video game retailers across North America, Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 features an in-depth documentary-style video feature that details the Metal Gear series’ story from beginning to end.

Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1

Spanning five games and just as many decades of fictional history, Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 ties together the game’s complex narrative in chronological order, from the 1960’s—with the heroic origins of Big Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater—to the cliffhanger conclusion of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, set in the early 21st century.

At a running time of 30 minutes, Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 features five chapters, one for each of the adventures of Solid Snake:

Chapter Game Title Setting (Year)

CHAPTER 001 METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SNAKE EATER 1964

CHAPTER 002 METAL GEAR 1994-1995

CHAPTER 003 METAL GEAR 2: SOLID SNAKE 1999

CHAPTER 004 METAL GEAR SOLID 2005

CHAPTER 005 METAL GEAR SOLID 2: SONS OF LIBERTY 2007-20XX

Produced by Hideo Kojima and directed by Ryan Payton, Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 features voiceover work by Jack N. Merluzzi, who also provides narration for the Snake Eater movie to be included with the limited edition of Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence. Metal Gear series creator Hideo Kojima also appears in a series of candid interviews, recounting the origins of the series and sharing its secrets, such as the original setting of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, his thoughts on the infamous NES game, Snake’s Revenge, and what gamers can look forward to in the forthcoming Metal Gear Solid 4 for PS3.

Metal Gear Saga Vol.1 also includes the entire library of trailers created by Kojima Productions all available in the DVD’s “Extra” menu:

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 (E3 2005)

METAL GEAR SOLID 4 (TGS 2005)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SUBSISTENCE (E3 2005)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SUBSISTENCE (GC 2005)

METAL GEAR SOLID 3: SUBSISTENCE (TGS 2005)

METAL GEAR AC!D 2 (E3 2005)

METAL GEAR AC!D 2 (TGS 2005)

Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1, will feature a foil-embossed cover and artwork by Yoji Shinkawa.

Gamers can look forward to receiving this special edition DVD at the moment they pre-order Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence at video game retailers across North America. The Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence pre-order campaign – featuring the Metal Gear Saga Vol. 1 DVD – begins mid-February 2006.

Care to gess what I'm pre-ordering next month. ^_^

See Nick I look out for you.

Almost forgot the actual US release date 3/14/06 :D

• 1 month later...

I'm at work and somehow found myself done with work for the day. It's about 7:30 when I'm like "oh, shit MGS3:Subsistence is out today" I got my ass in my car and took off for gamestop. Not only do I have the game all paid for but they threw in the strategy guide for free. Yeah that's right free. So now I have this and like 20 other games I need to play. Now all I need is some free time and I'm good to go.

Oh yeah, here's what the new Metal Gear looks like.

metal-gear-solid-3-subsistence-20050517054945868.jpg

Well, I guess I won't see you guys until, Monday, maybe Tues? ... LOL...

Thank you to Newtype!

I forgot all about this, until I saw his post and went right out and bought it this am at EBGAMES.

Nice post and reminder Newtype, I'm psyched!

See yall later...

Ill post my thoughts on this later.

Been playin this allllllll day.

PLay by Play is that this is AWESOME.

Cam took some getting used to but hands down the best PS2 game since God of War.

I shit once, pissed twice, came thrice.

IC....

GO

GET

THIS

ASAP...

It's that good. Full review next week.

Boy it's a good thing I had the money to buy this. I'm also glad I have a PS2 to play it on. Yup, good thing I didn't sell it to make rent. Sure am glad.

Hey Newtype...

out of curiosity, since you have the strategy guide.

The 4 qustions at the beggining...I like MGS1,2,3 etc...

I know 2 makes your playable character "2- Jack, 3 -"Snake" etc. - what do the others do? Which did you pick,

...Just wondering. :humping:

Post any tips ya got too. Thanks. :humping:

yeah, see i remember the demo kicking my ass....learning curve on this one's a bitch, i kept gettin spotted for a big stretch of the game, finally got it down right about a lil more than the halfway point. youll get it, tho, man - where about are you now? Notice any differences from what you played of the original version?

newtype - sure am glad i got my own place. :humping:

Dammit.

Had to take a break...

The differences in the graphics with the Hi def pack are surreal. Fuckin hard game though, the AI is unusually hard.

Let's see..

Bolshaya Past Base ...okay...

When you enter head North immediately, stay low on the ground and I take out the guard just standing near the trees. Let's see, I head back down near the entrance of the base. If I crawl toward the base about halfway past it to the East ...

another fuckarn' guard standing near the door, eliminate him and then the other guard wandering around near the gun turret on the East side (note to self: Do not USE the gun turret, as fun as they look they are very fuckin' loud!) Hmmm.

Yet another guard is

patrolling the Northeast area, okay a small problem sneaking up behind him. A fifth guard is manning the gun turret on the North end.

Christ.

Okay, Run to the Southwest of the base and up a ladder on the outside of one of the buildings. Climb it, ...cool.. find the Water camo. Drop down the West side and get into the trench, under the wooden board is the Snow face paint.

Now what?

Check this shit out...

mgs3sub1.jpg

Edited by MusicManiac

NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE.

I saw a few walkthroughs online. I hate to cheat per se, but this game is so in depth... here's the low...

A.) My eyes are burning from the cam angles.

B.) Wish Snake moved like Gabe from syphon Filter/Sam from Splintercell cause he moves like a truck especially when stealthin' up on the enemes.

C.) The reading, cut scenes on the radio are really too long.

Overall Im happy though. I like it alot. The muscle memory still hasn't fully returned yet to having a MGS mindset on the controller flawlessly, and I fumble during the battles too much.

I blame that on pushing through SC (Spintercell 1-3) last few weeks, and having just come out of that trilogy.

I'm impressed though. The new scores are pretty cool, The R1 addition works like a charm and the weapons still can be a little sucky, and take getting used to when aiming. The learning curve isn't long , but I'm having trouble feeling totally comfy on the controller.

What about the questionairre at the beginning? Can you play as Boss?

Edited by MusicManiac

i dunno, its dialogue-heavy but i always liked that, myself. you want something awesome? when, uh, something unfortunate happens to snake during an unfortunate scene and he's, uh, stuck somewhere....save & quit out, turn the game off, then come back in....its cool, i swear.

if i recall correctly, your answers in the beginning (of the normal game) only affected how you look in the gam'es begging scenes or so...

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

crap...thing is, i dont wanna spoil a great scene for you if you didnt get far enough to see it before.

look, try this: something happens with snake, youll say "holy shit!" and the next chance you get to control him, youll be closer to your nickname "naked snake"...youll know when it happens. save, quit out and shut down your PS2, then turn it back on, load, and see what happens. be sure to radio everyone afterwards, too, its worth it.

• 1 year later...

Well, thanks to bishop, i got to play and finish Metal Gear: Portable Ops this weekend (im on a roll, just finished the original 1 & 2 MSX ones on Subsistence).

I gotta say, i was expecting another Acid game that meant nothing, but this was indeed a valid chapter...its a direct sequal to Snake Eater, and really bridges the gap between the fallout of that ending and what becomes of Big Boss by the time Snake starts up in the original Metal Gear. The pokemon-like way of raising your army surprisngly fits well with this plot (and the devleoping idea of Outer Heaven), its great seeing all the characters from MGS 3 and the new ones, but the story advances in a way i didnt expect, having not seen/read the Digital comic release (also for PSP). See, the comic is drawn by Ashley Wood, who im guessing they went with cause his look is similar to original character designer (Yoji Shikawara? or something like that) but it always looked like ass to me; in Sons of Liberty, any time Vamp or someone was fighting, it was a mess of gray and brown and i had to wait till afterwards to know what hapened. However, the same art, with voice-overs (Hayter as snake, natch) and cinematic motion to transition frames came off cool as shit; anytime there was gunfire or a boss moving, it just looked great.

So yeah, i clocked in between 13-15 hours (standard fare) after sidequests and all, as i was having fun building my team by sending spies to find items, recruitment, etc. The boss fights were fun as usual, and more or less every plot element idve wanted tied up to really make the series/timeline flow was done so by the after-the-ending-ending, in true kojima form. Much love again to Bish for insisting i play through it, here's to hoping it gets that sequel, cant believe i almsot missed out such a great chapter from my favorite game series.

...even if i did end up with some awful ranking like "zebra on fire" or some shit like i always do, you just cant get spotted over 100 times and get treated fairly in the end.

ps if anyone else is as into this series as i am...if you ever play through the original (MSX) version of part 2, its kinda funny to see all the things Kojima basically re-did the way he prolly wanted them originaly once it went 3-D in MGS. Im talking entire boss fights, levels/scenes etc. I mean, ive taken down so many fucking Hind D's by now, stock in the fucking thing hs plumetted.