Hondo's Bar

Favorite Sequels

The purpose of this thread is to prove that sequels are not inherently bad, there are quite a few great ones out there.

What are your favorite sequels and why?

Of course the first one I have to mention is the godfather II.  The king of all sequels, surpassed the original and is one of the best movies ever made.

Trilogies usually fare pretty well, Star wars, Indiana Jones, and Back to the future are pretty good examples.

James Cameron has made two of my favorite sequels, Terminator 2, and Aliens.  Both I think were better than teh originals.  He has a couple more on the way too.  True lies 2, Terminator 3, if he can pull those off, he'll just be the sequel king.

Evil Dead 2 and Amry of Darkness were also damned fine sequels, evil dead 2 being the bets in the series IMO.  

Though noone near as good as the original, I thought Hannibal was a pretty damned good movie, changed the stuff from the book for very good reason, so it's a movie about unrequited love, with slick direction and twisted humor.  Of course, Silence of the lambs is also technically a sequel to Manhunter/red dragon (which they are thinking of remaking with ed norton... hmm), but since hannibal is the only real link between em, it's not really a sequel.

Another great one I almost forgot, A Better Tommorrow 2  Woo knew what kind of movie he was making so he just said "fuck the plot."  First better tommorrow resolved itself pretty well, they didnt exactly plan a sequel, so uh... why is Chow's character back for part 2.... "uh.... he has a twin brother!... now shut up and watch things die" great movie though.

Lets here some more, I know I'm missing a lot.

"For a few Dollars More" was a great follow-up to Fistfull. Uh...Superman II, Rambo First Blood, part II...Do shows count? Cause Sopranos season 2 was fuckin great as well.

Lotta sequels on the horizon - X-Men, Blade, Matrix, even episode II of Star Wars, so I'm sure ill have more to say in the comin months.

Oh, and definitely Mortal Kombat: Ahhnialation.  Sure, MK 1 was fun, but part 2 proved to me that, if ya really want to, damn near anyone can make a movie.

yeah d00d, MK ahnihalation r0ckeD, ya know how they did the animality thing in that one?  Check this out... in part 3, I wanna put in the BABALITIES, and FRIENDSHIPS!!!!  So in teh middle of the fight kano will give johnny cage a present, and they'll hold hands, but then the evil reptile will turn them both into babies!!!  You haven't seen action untill you see Liu Kang create a rainbow out of thin air!

Well its not out yet but i saw the Preview of Star Wars Episode 2 and it is gonna kick obscene ass. Episode 1 got all the storyline in motion now were gonna see some supreme badass Jedi action. From what i saw in the preview i would even go as far to say this might eb the best SW film yet! old or new.

also on a side note harrison ford signed a contract for a 4th indy film  :D

~TD

Fromwhat i saw in the preview i would even go as far to say this might eb the best SW film yet! old or new.

Whoa there!!! Whoa whoa whoa... we all know what happens when you predict something will be better than one of your favorite movies.

"(Insert utterly horribly movie here) is going to be better than (saving private ryan/star wars)!!!!"

Now don't you go and jynx star wars.  It's looking alright so far, I have high hopes, but I don't think that the movie can stand a TD prediction/curse.  

I'm hopefull for Indy 4 too, Speiburg is gonna direct it, and M. Night Shymalan (Sixth sense, unbreakable, the upcoming Signs)  is gonna help write it.  I love the guy, I guess this'll let us see if he can write.  I said I thought the writing was a bit weak for unbreakable, but I take that back since it's supposed to be part of a series.  If that's true I'll suspend my judgement till he follows it up.

I'm just waiting for the next Beavis and Butthead movie. Come on Mike Judge, get a move on. Sorry, just thought of it as I'm trying to learn the 'King of the Hill' tune on guitar.

Actually, bit off topic but, is there a thread for posting guitar tips, tabs, etc. If not I would love to start and moderate one.

>Winks to and nudges IC

Junker - When does Unbreakable 2 come out? I here its a trilogy & Bruce is lovin it, im dyin to see more.  Again, didnt like the cop-out endin but otherwise great movie.

Bucket - Ha...post s'more and we'll see if we can get ya moderatin.  But feel free to start your own thread on guitar tabs over there in Culture, that sounds like a great fuckin idea, actually.  Gotta let BigChiefSlapaho know tho, he plays a bit too. :D :D

I don't really know when/if Unbreakable 2 comes out, it's not listed on imdb or anything.  And sure, the ending was a bit anticlimatic, but if it's just the origin story in a trilogy, I can see it fitting into part of a great story.  The movie was a hell of a refreshing take on the superhero thing, so I'd love to see more, maybe after Signs, hopefully?

Blow me, all of ya!

My predictions arent that bad. Thin red line was the only one i dragged people to that i was profusely sorry for. And besides i know the entire history for the era that the second movie is in so i know the potential and with what i've see in the trailer it looks like i'm dead on. So there!

:p

~TD

HEY, I liked Thin Red Line, that ain't a bad movie. The fact that huge actors only make a cameo was brilliant, nice to see some fresh talent. At the end of the day, it wasn't worse than bloody 'Saving Private Ryan' anyway.

As for the new Star Wars, personally I think it can only get more disappointing. It looks like Lucas is going for the teen market with his crap-looking, mushy we-love-each-other-but-your-a-princess-and-I'm-a-jedi angle.

They may as well of let Spielberg direct it with him, make a big hash of what was anticipated to be wicked (talking about A.I.).

Sorry, just venting frustration. As for anticipated films, I'm just looking forward to seeing 'The Royal Tenebaums'.

Are you serious?

Private Ryan had good acting, fantastic battle scenes, solid plot...one of the last good traditional WWII films ive seen.

Thin Red Line was goin for a modern-day "The Longest Day": all-star cast an alla that, but unlike Longest Day, it had no focus, and ended up all over the place, a messy 3-hour trial.  

The only thing worse was the battle scense: the Japs were shootin at the trees behind the allies, apparenlty, dyin like it was a new trend.  Swear to god, i was waitin to hear the Marines yell "Go Joe!"...:ill:

SPR went downhill from the opening becah landing. You say Thin Red Line didn't have any direction, I would argue the same about SPR, as it tried to both have action and show the horror of war in unneeded quantities. I prefer war films that try to achieve one or the other.

e.g Apocalypse Now - Horror of War

Full Metal Jacket - Action

Tigerland - Horror of war

Platoon - Action

I can go on....

Oy vey, you all just said a mouthfull....  First, I'd say that The Thin Red Line tryed to be a modern day Apocalypse now.    Tried too damn hard to be all philosophical and pretentious for my tastes.  I did like the idea of having huge actors drop like flies alla Hitchcock, but a movie can have all the great concepts and theoretical ideas it wants, if it doesn't so as much as hold my attention, it can't be helped.  And I don't really buy the whole action/horror of war idea.  Most war movies show both.  Platoon is not just action with no consequences behind it.  War is pretty shitty in Platoon.  I didn't think Full Metal Jacket's focus was on action at all.  hell, FMJ is almost a really really dark action/comedy.  I'd say it shows the irony of war.  Most of the action scenes were very detached, showing dots in the distance being blown away by troops.  Not much was really as intense as it gets in other movies.  I liked SPR because Speilberg is at his best when he has a subject that requires all of the insane amount of emotion that he puts into his movies.  Stuff like the holocaust and WW2 can benefit from his style, you can't put too much emotion into those subjects.  After watching an insane amount of killing, I don't think stuff like the great dog tag scene, and the graveyard scene at the end are that out of place.  Action and the horror of war go hand in hand, forget about that and you get stuff like "Navy Seals."

Oh, and IMO Speilberg would do a damned fine job if he directed star wars... how differant is it really from Indiana Jones, I mean, by way of direction?  Speilburg is quite the visual badass (AI still looked incredible, as dissapointing as it was) and directs action quite well.  When it comes to light-hearted action packed stuff, they're not that different.

Aren't I the baddie. LOL. :shoot: :D

Call me a blasphemer but I'm not a big Spielberg fan. He's done a handful of decent movies (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire of the Sun spring to mind) and then a whole load of average flicks (E.T, SPR, and a lot more).

I agree that most war movies are not clean cut one or the other but usually they have a main focus, of which I found SPR to lack. TRL instead had a focus, apart from the hill gunnar scene, the action was limited, which I enjoyed. The graveyard scene in SPR was shockingly bad. Spielberg sometimes does emotion well (Schindler's List, Empire of the Sun) but at other times it just detracts from the whole occasion and you feel disjointed.

If it is any consolation, I think Empire of the Sun is the most underrated movie of all time.

damn, MLB, you're confusing me, I'd think that Empire of the Sun would be one of your least favorites of Speilberg.  I thought it was pretty decent, but one of his more  "manipulative" movies.  I'm not exactly a Speilberg fan like I'm a kubrick and Scorsese fan, but I do think he's done some great stuff, and usually knows what he's doing.  Though he's not by any means perfect, he isn't the big commercial whore people make him out to be at all.

And sure, Austin Powers 2 was funny, but dammit it was all the same jokes from part one with some stuff added on, it was an expansion pack, not a sequel.... I want to wait till they make the last Austin Powers movie and just watch that one since it will include all the jokes from the previous movies....

Sorry, I'm not really expressing myself particularly well today. Personally I adore Empire of the Sun. My first act of finding the wonders of music file-sharing was to download Suo Gan from the film, which incidentally I found out later is actually a Christmas song.

Scorcese is fantastic, apart from the slightly disappointing 'Raging Bull'. Kubrick is good as well, although don't really know his stuff as well as other directors. The Coens are probably my first choice, and after seeing 'Man Who Wasn't There' for the 2nd time yesterday, I can only say that their movies get even better with age.

Peace out.

I like Indiana Jones: Temple of Doom, thought that was a good movie.

Aliens was a great sequel, in fact, that may be the only one worth watching... that and Alien3.

Back To The Future 2 was incredible but WAAAAAY overdue.

The 2nd Rocky kicked much ass.

And you're a FOOL if you didn't see Godfather 2.  God bless, that may be the greatest sequel ever.

And hey!  Anyone remember Mortal Kombat: Annihilation?!?!  WOW!  What crap...

• 2 weeks later...

MK2 Kicked ass so did the first one (I can't even count the times i've seen them) The effects were awesome:smile:... I Also liked Jet Li the Legand 1 & 2 If you're into Kung Fu movies this rocks :D its like a mix of action and comedy... I liked the once upon a china trilogy :wasabi: ...humm thats all I can think off right now..