Hondo's Bar

Blade Runner Discussion

• 7 years later...

Ridley Scott returning to Blade Runner universe

After revisiting his classic Alien with the upcoming 3D Fox film Prometheus, Ridley Scott is committing to direct and produce a film that advances his other seminal and groundbreaking science fiction film. Scott has signed on to direct and produce a new installment of Blade Runner. He’ll make the film with Alcon Entertainment, producing with Alcon partners Broderick Johnson and Andrew Kosove. This would be the most high profile project for Alcon since The Blind Side.

I’m not getting a clear sense at this point whether Scott intends to do a sequel or a prequel to the 1982 film that was loosely based on the Philip K. Dick novel Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? Also unclear is whether they start fresh or reach out to Harrison Ford, who starred that took place in dystopian Los Angeles in 2019, in which organic superhuman robots called replicants escaped and are hiding somewhere on earth. Ford played Richard Deckard, a burnt out blade runner assigned to hunt them down. His tired life gets altered when he himself falls for one of the replicants and struggles to keep her from being destroyed.

"Sorry guys I couldn't deliver on that Aliens movie you wanted so I went ahead and decided to tap one of my other films for a sequel I might have a greater chance to destroy".

That about sum it up?

I'm pretty late to the Blade Runner thing myself. I've always been into the style of universe and all that jazz but I only saw it a couple years back and saw a T.V version of it at that and while I had fun with it but I didn't get all the hype which was sad because I REALLY wanted to love it.

Maybe I just expected more Neuromancer out of it?

Some people say because I watched the T.V version that might have been my problem.

I thought the Alien prequelwas still on track?!? Am I out of the loop?

In regards to Blade Runner: I dunno, I doubt the TV edit would really suck out much of the soul of the movie. I'm positive it's not as good, sure, but you no doubt would have been aware of this while watching it and given it a slight handicap. I doubt a little more cursing and violence would of changed your mind.

If you flat out didn't like it I doubt you'll like any of the other 15 versions with subtly different editing.

Personally, I like it. I don't love it, I'm not cult-y about it, but I've seen it a good 3 or 4 times. It's a solid movie and I always enjoy my time with it.

Big news on the Alien prequel front: it seems as if there is no longer an Alien prequel. What started out as a film expanding the backstory of Ridley Scott‘s 1979 sci-fi-thriller-monster movie masterpiece has become something else.

Today 20th Century Fox has officially announced Prometheus, which will star Noomi Rapace as Elizabeth Shaw, and open on March 9, 2012. What’s going on here? More after the break.

Deadline reports that the film once meant to be an Alien prequel has become something “more original,” and that the Jon Spaihts draft that kicked things off has been reworked by Damon Lindelof and Ridley Scott into Prometheus. In addition to the part being played by Noomi Rapace (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo) there is another big female role in the film, which is being circled by Charlize Theron and Angelina Jolie. Three major male roles have to be cast, too.

And I think I'm supposed to give the...directors cut a chance?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived