Hondo's Bar

Rumors for the Future

Heh, that'd be a riot. But really - R2 is a trashcan with wheels. How much complex action are they going to have him do? I hate when they suddenly make a character cg because then it looks so different from the rest of the movies. Remember the few times in Ep2 when 3PO was cg? And suddenly he could bend his arms? What the hell was that?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, that's probably it. And now for some picture-heavy updates.

Once Upon a Time In Mexico - Some new screenshots for this Desperado sequel have been released. Forgive the watermarks.

mexiconews-11-360.jpg

El Mariachi kicking ass as usual.

mexiconews-9-360.jpg

Johnny Depp looking very...um...yeah...

mexiconews-2-360.jpg

Salma Hayek also looking very um yeah.

mexiconews-5-360.jpg

Heyyy, look who's back! The bartender never gets killed.

mexiconews-8-360.jpg

Is he reading a Judy Garland book?

mexiconews-4-360.jpg

Now here's an interesting cinematic pairing...

mexiconews-6-360.jpg

Oh...my...drool, she's in this too!? I'm there.

Garfield - A recent press teaser packet that went out for this film gives a very brief glimpse of what we can expect for the look of this character. Now, this does seem and still rather looks like one of the worst ideas in recent Hollywood memory, but with Bill Murray providing the voice there's hope. And oh yeah, guess who is credited with the screenplay - Joel Coen.

garfield2.jpg

Jon (who doesn't look nearly enough like a loser) and Dr. Liz Wilson. And finally, the cat himself...

garfield1.jpg

Mary Poppins - Please, somebody kill me, now. No, really. Take a drill to my head or run me over with a truck or something. Nono, better yet, do it to the Disney execs who apparently are completely unable to come up with an original idea, anymore. Yes! A Mary Poppins remake! What the fuck! And you know who's up to play the title role? Queen Latifah!! I'm gonna go over to Disney world and throw eggs at Cinderella's castle, now.

Bond 21 - And another nominee for the Please Just Shoot Me category: Mariah Carey has agreed to sing the theme to the next Bond film (which has no director, cast, name or script yet) but only if she can get a Madonna-style cameo in the movie or, worse, an even bigger part. Holy Christ, Mariah... You've done enough to the music industry, would you just leave the movie industry the fuck alone already?!

Gigli - In what I'm sure is a smart move, Sony has pulled all advertising for Gigli and replaced it with more Bad Boys II commercials. Most theatres have already dropped the movie to the smallest screens and it's expected to be gone as soon as the three week contractual obligation is up. Now, I might have been off on the Rotten Tomatoes mention, but this one I've double-checked - Gigli is the lowest rated movie on IMDb. It ranks at 1.5, tying it with From Justin to Kelly, though Gigli has more votes which puts it lower. A 1.5! Glitter got a 2.2. Jaws: The Revenge got a 2.6. Smoky and the Bandit III got a 2.7!

Sub-Mariner - In a horrendous casting call, it seems that Matt Damon is up to play Namor in this comic-to-movie flick. Bleh. I'd say Jude Law, myself, if they really find it all that necessary to make a Sub-Mariner movie.

Superman - It's highly rumored that McG is back in the director's chair and sets are being built as we speak on the Warner Bros. lot. Still no casting announcements.

Akira - Blade director Stephen Norrington was originally signed on to direct this live-action version of Akira, but after the debacle that was LXG, Norrington has decided to drop "out of all my Hollywood development deals because I want to pursue more creative avenues." At least the man can admit defeat.

Dukes of Hazzard - As if Mary Poppins and Bond 21 weren't enough, it's been announced that aside from Britney Spears, Carment Electra and Jessica Alba (ok, so she's cool, at least) are also up for the Daisy Duke role.

Indiana Jones Trilogy - But there's some good news! The release for the 4-disc dvd collection of Indiana Jones has been pushed up a whole month to October 21st!

Timeline Some screenshots have been released for the upcoming Michael Crichton-penned, Richard Donner-directed time travel movie. I'm currently enjoying the book right now, so I'm really looking forward to this one. Hopefully it'll be another Jurassic Park or even The 13th Warrior, and not another Congo. It stars It stars Paul Walker (who normally I hate, but is well-suited for this role), Frances O'Connor, Gerard Butler, and Il Duce himself, Billy Connolly.

frances_o_connor2.jpg

timeline2.jpg

frances_o_connor3.jpg

frances_o_connor1.jpg

timeline3.jpg

Once Upon a Time In Mexico

mexiconews-9-360.jpg

Johnny Depp looking very...um...yeah...

Looks awesome, but what the fuck is that under Depp's eyes?

Garfield

It's a sad day when in a list of movie updates, a Garfield movie is actually among the better sounding ideas. This sounds like a good idea when compared to...

Mary Poppins

Queen Latifah? I don't what to be too much of a stickler to the original material, but why not someone, oh, I don't know...British! It's not like british thespians are in short supply!

Bond 21

Oh good, Mariah Carey is singing the theme to the next bond movie. Madonna wouldn't be remembered as having preform the worst bond theme of all time. Why not Cher!? Or Barbara Streisand!?

Sub-Mariner

Poor Damon. The jealousy of Affleck getting to be a superhero finally got to him. And he used to be legitimate.

Superman...Still no casting announcements.

Will anyone ever take this role. Why don't they just give it to Dean Cain? I think he's the highest profile actor in Hollywood who hasn't turns down the part yet!

Akira - Blade director Stephen Norrington was originally signed on to direct this live-action version of Akira, but after the debacle that was LXG, Norrington has decided to drop "out of all my Hollywood development deals because I want to pursue more creative avenues." At least the man can admit defeat.

Props to Norrington for knowing what he can and cannot do. Akira could be really cool if done with a Matrix like budget and attitude towards photography, stunts and effects.

Dukes of Hazzard

I'd actually think this was a cool idea if every cell in my body didn't know they're gonna royally fuck this up.

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Thank the lord for news that doesn't make me weep for future generations.

Timeline]

I actually own the book, but haven't cracked it yet. Gotta get around to that....

I have no idea what's under Depp's eyes, but it's been in a couple of other pics of him, too.

Timeline's pretty good, from the half-of-the-book I've gotten through so far. It's not as suspenseful at Jurassic Park or as "holy shit that giant squid was scary!" as Sphere, but it'll be a fun adventure movie.

Just some trailers I've over at apple.com, along with my thumbs up or thumbs down:

New Live Action Peter Pan Movie - Thumb Up (I'm as surprised as you)

Looney Tunes Back In Action - Thumbs Down (looks almost as bad as Rocky and Bullwinkle or even Space Jam)

Wonderland - Thumbs Up (bad ass)

Once Upon A Time In Mexico - Super Thumbs Up (super duper bad ass)

The Last Samurai - Thumbs Up

The Incredibles - Thumbs Up (looks good, but I'm skeptical if it can join the likes of TS2, Mi, and FN.

Brother Bear - Thumbs Up (looks like a Disney movie along the lins of The Emperor's New Groove and Lilo & Stitch, not Atlantis or Treasure Planet)

Garage Days - Thumbs Up

The Battle Of Shaker Heights - Thumbs Up (The Winner of Project Greenlight, like pretty funny)

The Order - Thumbs Up (Super Bad Ass)

Matchstick Men - Thumbs Up (I've giving alot of Thumbs Upes)

The Cat In The Hat - Thumbs Down (Finally, something to give a thumbs down to)

Underworld - Thumbs Up (Like Blade meets The Matrix)

Paycheck - Thumbs Up (Afleck in a good movie, it's about time, adn all it took was JohnWoo adn the writer of Blade Runner and Minority Report. Awesome looking thriller)

Timeline - Thumbs Up

Envy - Thumbs Up (Jack Black is one of the funniesst men on Earth)

Being less that 3 months away, you'd think WB would be laying the advertising campaign on thick by now, but I guess not. Guess they don't want to advertise the third one until the second has made all the money it's going to make in the theaters. No trailer yet, except for the one at the end of Reloaded, and this poster is all there is so far.

revolutions_teaser.jpg

That tagline sounds like something out of Star Wars. I think it would have been cooler if it was just the regular code going down and ending with the word "end", like it's the end of a line of programming or somethin'. But that's just me.

I wouldn't exactly say that Paycheck was written by the same guy who did Blade Runner and Minority report because both of those movies (and Total Recall, by the way) are very very very loose adaptions, usually in theme only, of Philip K Dick stories.

And I think The Order (or The Sin Eater as it's being called internationally) is looking pretty good. It'd be nice to see half the cast and the director of A Knight's Tale doing some deep dark drama.

Anyway, updates.

Freddy Vs. Jason 2 - Already the studio is talking a sequel to Freddy Vs. Jason (is that out yet? Who won?). The very fact that they're considering a sequel obviously means neither of them died, but then, what else is new. Get this, though, one of the ideas that's being kicked around the table apparently is "Freddy Vs. Jason Vs........ASH!" Yep, New Line is seriously considering trying to pit these two villains against Bruce Campbell's Ash from the Evil Dead series. Neither Bruce Campbell or Sam Raimi or anyone from the Evil Dead camp has been contacted, yet, this is still just a preliminary "hey what if we did this" idea. Still, it's a fun one.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - It's official, it seems. Despite Chris Columbus showing interest again, Warner Bros has given the director's chair to Mike Newell for the fourth (and most elaborate) Harry Potter movie. What this will mean for the series has yet to be seen. By the way, Newell is best known for directing Four Weddings and a Funeral. I'm not sure whether Columbus will still be producing.

Terminator 4 - After the success of the third movie, the studio is already getting a script together for a fourth. The script should be finished in "8 or 9 months". But, wait, what if Arnie's a governor? Well, it seems the studio is ready and willing to go without him if that's the case. I shudder at the thought.

Grease 3 and Rocky VI - Yes, and yes, they both seem to be in the works. We really should just shoot whoever these screenwriters are who wake up one day and decide "I want to write another Rocky!" Olivia Newton-John has confirmed that script for a third Grease (did they not realize nobody remembers the second?) movie is in the works, and that she'll have a look at it once it's finished. Sly Stallone has already had a look at the sixth Rocky script and says it's "very good - it's a story that can relate to everybody, which is good", though admittedly very good by Sly Stallone standards might not be much, especially since Apollo Creed is supposed to be involved. Isn't he dead?

Bleh, just realized that last update had nothing but sequels. Yet more proof that Hollywood can't come up with an original idea to save their ass. Hopefully this'n will be better.

But not just yet, because our first is...

Star Wars: Episode III - Uber-producer Rick McCallum has revealed a few tidbits about the upcoming finale (if you can call it that) to the Star Wars saga. The movie will explain all of Anakin's/Darth's injuries except one - a facial scar that he got in one of the novels that covered time between EpII and EpIII. There will be a scene when Anakin is given the name Darth Vader, and an explanation as to why he got that name (hopefully it won't be something like "well, I hear Vader is Swedish for Father, so I thought it'd be a good foreshadowing for the Empire Strikes Back!"). About 80 pages of the 129 page script have been shot (including three major lightsaber duels. John Williams will begin scoring the film in November. And oh yeah, we will see Yoda fight again. We'll also see Padme pregnant, and the twins Luke and Leia at a month old. Fun.

Curious George - :sigh: If you thought Garfield was a bad idea - duck. A live-action Curious George (with a cg George) is apparently on the fast-track of production and has been given a release date for September 2005.

Fletch Won - Although Kevin Smith pushed hard for Jason Lee in the role of Fletch, Miramax refused to give in. Now Smith has come up with a list of some of Hollywood's hottest actors that he'd like to put in the role. If Jersey Girl's a success, he shouldn't have any trouble. The list: Ben Affleck (whatta shock), Brad Pitt, Will Smith, Jimmy Fallon and Adam Sandler. Smith has promised that the movie will return to the witty dialogue and quirky characters of the original Fletch books, rather than the screwball comedy of the Chevy Chase movie adaptions.

O Sister Where Art Thou - Don't even get me started on this... According to Variety, Todd Phillips (the guy behind the cinema classic - Old School [/sarcasm]) is going to "develop" this music-themed movie about 1940's female prison inmates turned entertainers.

The Punisher - Comic Book Resources indicates that the father of anti-hero Frank Castle is going to be played by none other than...uh...Roy Scheider?

Daredevil 2 - In a recent interview about the Daredevil dvd, director Mark Steven Johnson talked sequel. He said that both Miller's Born Again storyline and Smith's Guardian Devil storyline are under consideration for Daredevil 2. They also may include a villain or two such as Ramrod, Stiltman, or Mr. Fear (god let's hope not...Stiltman?). But this will be after the Ghostrider adaption he's helming, which is still set to star Nic Cage and will hopefully begin shooting in the Fall.

The Matrix Revolutions - The Herald Sun has gotten a few details on the Matrix finale. First of all, get this, the finale to the movie is a 17-minute action sequence that will end up costing $2 million per minute. The final battle will be "conducted on the scorched earth of the nuclear-ravaged real world, littered with crumbling cathedrals and leading Neo to his true destiny". Ooo, mystical. Keanu Reeves promises "a battle between Zion and the machines, and the relationship between Agent Smith and Neo is resolved. [Also] some questions of the journey of Neo as The One are answered, and lost of surprises". Fun! Oh, and Jada Pinkett-Smith says she's "more involved in the story. I help save the day, and you see my love story with Laurence resolved, I don't think anybody gets married". So, what, maybe she gets two lines instead of one this time? You wanna see Jada Pinkett-Smith in the Matrix, go play the video game.

The Brothers Grimm - Fangoria has posted the official synopsis of Terry Gilliam's next movie starring Matt Damon and Heath Ledger. "Brothers Grimm is a dark fantasy about the two "Brothers Grimm" who travel around the Napoleonic countryside vanquishing fake monsters and demons in exchange for cash. When the French government figures out what they're up to, they force the brothers to deal with the real thing, a number of murders being committed under mysterious circumstances in the northern woods between Germany and France. It is there that they have to try and discover what's really happening and deal with it before more people are killed or their lack of success leads to the guillotine". I'm up for it.

Superman - Well, those few people who want to see a Superman movie may not have to wait much longer. Warner Bros is seriously considering British actor Henry Cavill to don the red cape. The only problem might be that he's only 20 years old. But then, Jude Law and Josh Hartnett were also a bit too young for the role, too, and at least Cavill looks the part. castle002.jpg

Wallace and Gromit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit - Helena Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes has signed on to do voices for the upcoming full-length Wallace and Gromit movie (which used to be called "The Great Vegetable Plot"...that must be a helluva plot change).

Daredevil - Director's Cut - Although a release date hasn't been determined yet, Mark Steven Johnson has confirmed that an R-rated or unrated cut of Daredevil will be released on dvd. The new version has the love scene and the confessional scenes (both for apparently good reasons that are supposedly made clear if you watch the new version) removed and replaces them with over 30 minutes of story that was deleted from the theatrical release (to make room for more studio-requested action).

Star Wars - Episode III - A fairly major spoiler for the upcoming Star Wars film. Christopher Lee has apparently finished nearly all his shooting (except for a few pickup shots) for the third prequel. Why is he done so fast? Simple. Count Dooku apparently dies/is killed within ten minutes of the opening crawl.

Exorcist - The Beginning - "Controversy" is brewing over the upcoming and long-worked-on Exorcist prequel. The film originally had the late John Frankenheimer directing and Liam Neeson in the starring role. After Frankenheimer died and Neeson left, the film was given to Paul Schrader who turned in his final cut two weeks ago. Warners execs weren't happy with it because it didn't contain any of the head-turning or spider-walking or pea-soup-vomiting they were hoping for. Instead of a gore-fest, Schrader's take is supposed to be "a picture that combines colonial-era action and adventure with personal introspection and deeper psychological horror". Gabriel Mann who now stars in the film prefers it that way. "it's the film that seriously makes the closest attempt to get back to elements that made the first one so great. [it has] a kind of creeping, growing eeriness that permeates inside you until you realise you're really scared and freaked out. Audiences should expect for things not to happen the way they're used to... to think about things that are both scary and mysterious." Whether the studio will allow the film to be released under Schrader's vision, or whether they will demand the gore-fest they were hoping for has yet to be seen.

Bond 21 - They've got to be kidding. Please, somebody tell me they're kidding. There's gotta be some prankster over at United Artists leaking this information out and then giggling behind his keyboard, because this is just nuts. Remember when I said that Mariah Carey was being considered to do the theme song and have a cameo? Well guess who else is being considered for the song/cameo - Eminem. Has to be a joke, please god.

Fletch Won - Kevin Smith has officially been given the greenlight to go ahead with his long-awaited Fletch movie. After that is completed Smith has confirmed that his next project will be the often-mentioned sci-fi project he's had planned for a while, redundantly called "Ranger Danger and the Danger Rangers". He'll probably want Ben Affleck to star as Ranger Danger.

Kill Bill - The official poster for Tarantino's new film is out. It's said that Kill Bill has been split into chapters like a book, so it's appropiate that part one of the two-part movie is being called "Kill Bill - Volume One". And it's got a very nice looking poster.

killbillteaserposter.jpg

Freddy Vs Jason 2 - Well the first idea for a sequel to last week's Freddy Vs Jason has already been shot down - by the man himself. In a recent interview, Bruce Campbell was asked whether there was any possibility of him being in "Freddy Vs Jason Vs Ash". He replied, "If you believe that, I've got some ocean front property outside of Phoenix you might be interested in...".

Resident Evil: Apocalypse - A first look at the character of Jill Valentine from the upcoming Resident Evil film.

Jill_Valentine_First_LookSM.jpg

Cool, i love this thread - offhand, im actually excited about Resident Evil...the last one was surprisingly fun. Kill Bill's on m'list, and yeah, let us know bout that DD DVD...if it doesnt have the comic specials of the 1st one (prolly not, if its more of this "1.5" bullshit) im gonna be sad.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

After meeting with director Tim Burton, Johnny Depp is poised for his fourth teaming with the director. Depp has been offered the role of Willy Wonka in the Warner Bros. adaptation of the Roald Dahl classic. Depp and Burton, who previously made "Edward Scissorhands" and "Ed Wood," came away from their meeting sparked to make the film and negotiations are expected to begin shortly.

Depp is coming off "Pirates of the Caribbean," the kind of summer hit that gets an actor a sweeter deal. Talks could certainly break down between WB and Depp's UTA reps, but the betting is that Depp will be managing a brigade of chocolate-making Oompa Loompas next year. Pic is being produced by Plan B partners Brad Grey, Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston, and Michael Siegel, who manages the interests of the Dahl estate.

The pairing of Burton and Depp would establish the film as a likely golden ticket for Warners. The studio has moved cautiously over the years to mount the remake, working in concert with the author's estate. Even though Dahl adapted his novel for the 1971 film "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," he wasn't thrilled with the result.

WB brass is eager to revive the pic about a mysterious chocolate maker's attempt to find a worthy successor. Aside from merchandising and DVD opportunities, the hope is that a successful pic could spawn a stage musical. A script for the film is still being readied. Scott Frank wrote a draft, followed by Gwyn Lurie, and Warners has hired Pamela Pettler to write the latest version. She got the job after scripting "The Corpse Bride," the Mike Johnson-directed stop-motion animation film for Warner Bros. about a man who inadvertently marries a corpse.

"The Corpse Bride," which Burton is producing, features stop-motion animation like that of "The Nightmare Before Christmas," and Burton impressed by Pettler's draft.

(As reported by VARIETY, and then stolen offa Movie Poop Shoot)

Yep, I was just gonna mention that in this next update.

Helloween - Roll your eyes and raise your hands if you saw this one coming. According to "Creature Corner", thanks to the success of Freddy Vs. Jason, Dimension films it trying to find a way to bring its two big 80s horror icons together - Halloween's Michael Meyers and Hellraiser's Pinhead. It's not really a new idea, though. "House of the Dead" writer Dave Parker once pitched this idea to the studio. He even spent his own money creating a mock trailer to show them what it would look like. Maybe this is his chance to try again.

Batman - Seems that the WB is turning to England to finally find its superhero cast. After they found a decent Superman, they announced that British actor Hugh Dancy is in talks with Chris Nolan to play Batman in Nolan's next film.

Catwoman - And on a related note, Sharon Stone has been cast as the villain in Halle Berry's Catwoman movie. It's also been reported that the movie will take a "Mask of Zorro" approach, with Michelle Pfeiffer playing Selina Kyle and training Halle Berry's character into the next Catwoman.

Constantine - Rachel Weisz has signed on to play the role of Angela in the film adaption of Hellblazer. Keanu Reeves (sigh) is still playing John Constantine.

Get Shorty 2 - The sequel to Get Shorty (which may be title Be Cool) is set to start filming with John Travolta very soon. F. Gary Gray is in talks to direct.

Sharkslayer - Moviehole reports that "Disney is reportedly set to change the name of their film Sharkslayer to something less violent sounding. The film opens a month after The Invincibles." Don't put too much faith in that story yet, though. They couldn't even get the names right. Dreamworks is making Sharkslayer, not Disney. And the next Pixar/Disney movie is called The Incredibles not The Invincibles.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - It seems that John Cleese will not be appearing in the next Harry Potter movie. He will return in the fourth one, however.

Pretty good one there, SB, but i cant figure this one out...

Rachel Weisz has signed on to play the role of Angela in the film adaption of Hellblazer.

...Angela who? That one sounds made up for the movie itself; he doesnt have any family members, friends or love interests by that name that i can recall. And hopin for Ennis' Kit - tough irish chick, was great supporting cast - would be naive if Constantine's American. ???

Maybe Nick Nolte can turn up in "Hellblazer" and then in the final few scenes he can turn into all sorts a magical myterious things. Just a thought.

Michael Myers vs. Pinhead sounds like a terrible idea. Where Halloween had a few good'ns in the franchise, I never really liked the Hellraiser movies (although as a young lad I did enjoy seeing the sex scene in part 3). Anyways, I can't really see the pair meeting up anytime soon. After the piece of piss, web-cam wank that was Halloween: Resurrection, it seems that they're just gonna go straight into Halloween 9. I'd say the Pinhead thing is a longshot.

• 1 month later...

A nice long update since I haven't done this in a while, including some pics. As usual, most if not all of these should be treated as only rumors until confirmed.

The Punisher - According to a source called "Captain Red" to DarkHorizons.com: "I got a look at the script, and I'll tell you right now, Garth Ennis fans are in for a big treat. There are big portions of the first story arc, which I think is "welcome home frank" in this script, and it's cool. I enjoyed the script very much - the russian, bumpo, joan, all there. Jonathan Hensleigh also brings in his own voice, and they are trying to make Tampa WAY more dangerous than it actually is. I don't want to give anything away, but I will say that Saint is written as a very flawed character, very human. He's not pure evil, but he does do evil things. Castle is not the comic book character we all know, but he is not all that different either. He's not a one man wrecking crew so much as, like Saint, a flawed person trying to make sense of the loss of his family, and his way to do this is to kill a lot of people. BTW, His father (Roy Scheider) wasn't in this version of the script, only mentioned when he picks up his father's 45's, and parker shotguns. The big family death scene I saw is not in this script, and I'm afraid they'll cut him out of the film, which would be a shame. They are nearly done with shooting. Only a few more weeks. I believe Travolta wraps in a week, and Jane may already be done, actually. Not sure about that one. I really hope more big films come to Tampa to shoot as an alternative to Canada, because the city is ready and willing to host them". Also the Sunshine Skyway Bridge was apparently closed last Sunday for filming. Anyone who has ever used that bridge knows two things for sure - 1) there were a helluva lotta pissed of Floridian drivers on Sunday, and 2) whatever they were shooting has the potential to be an awesome scene.

The Matrix Revolutions - Some looks at the posters for the third and final Matrix movie (including one rather scary one of Agent Smith). Also, Revolutions will be the first movie to ever be released simultaneously worldwide. And I do mean simultaneously. This movie will open on the exact same second around the world - 6am in LA, 9am in New York, 5pm in London, 11pm in Tokyo, etc. Weird.

rv_poster_neo_med.jpgrv_poster_morph_med.jpg

rv_poster_apu_med.jpgrv_poster_smiths_med.jpg

rv_poster_trinity.jpg

rv_poster_smith.jpg

Catwoman - Yes, that costume pic that has been floating around is sadly real, but luckily for most of the move Halle Berry will be wearing a skintight (yum) black outfit that more closely resembles the Catwoman we all know and lust. Also a more informative synopsis has been released. "Patience Price, a mild mannered graphic artist (graphic artist?!), is murdered in order to keep her silent about an accidental discovery she made. An ancient myth is played out, when an Egyptian Mao cat, indebted to Patience for saving her it's own life, breathes life back into the young woman. Patience is reborn with an independent attitude, carefree behavior and the heightened senses of a cat. Now she must investigate the circumstances behind her murder and learn to accept both parts of herself". What type of deadly discovery could a mild-mannered graphic artist make, anyway? Halle Berry herself revealed a little more on the David Letterman show, recently. "She can fight. She fights like a cat. You know, she doesn't have anything super-human, y'know? But she can do anything a healthy good tiger can do...she can do". The origin? "Well, she dies, like all the other Cat-Women...she dies and is reborn a Cat-Woman. But what's interesting about the take on this movie, is that we're not saying that my version of Catwoman is the only Catwoman...She is one of an army (of what we believe) of nine Cat-Women, so we leave room for Eartha Kitt, who was a great Catwoman, and Michelle Pfeifer, who was another awesome Catwoman. And I'm just another Catwoman, because we believe that there are nine".

Batman - A release date has been set for Chris Nolan's Batman movie - July 1st, 2005. (Superman has been given a desperately hopeful release in 2006) Also John Malkovich is rumored to be up for the role of Ra's Al Ghul. Interestin'.

Kingdom of Heaven - Orlando Bloom is tipped to lead Ridley Scott's upcoming epic about the Crusades (Tripoli seems to be on hold). With this, Lord of the Rings, and the upcoming Troy, Orlando Bloom seems to be the man to beat when it comes to epics.

Logan's Run - Bryan Singer is rumored to be involved in a remake of this classic sci-fi flick.

Lord of the Rings - Return of the King - AICN-D reports that the third LOTR movie has an official 3.5 hour runtime.

Rocky 6 - "There is a certain person who does not want to make it...Let's just say it's someone who is in control of it" says Stallone in a recent interview on Access Hollywood. Bless whoever that person is. Bless them.

Sharkslayer - Dreamworks seems to be in the process of naming their upcoming cg film. "Sharktale" is the current top pick.

Tenacious D: In the Pic of Destiny - A Tenacious D movie? Looks like it! According to DarkHorizons: The latest newsletter for Jack Black's band and an interview with Black himself on National Public Radio's (NPR) show "Fresh Air" revealed a little more about the film spin-off - "He said in his opinion the screenplay is finished and now he needs to pitch it to New Line. He explained the proposed film by calling it an origin film that starts with a 10-yr-old Jack Black running away from home. He also said he would love to have Meatloaf play his father, although he has not been approached yet. After little Jack runs away, he hooks up with Kyle, they form Tenacious D, and he runs Black through a training program of rock. They then go on their first quest to be the greatest band on Earth". A late 2004 release is currently planned.

The Man Who Killed Don Quixote - Andrew Davis, director of The Fugitive, talked to Moviehole about his hopes to make a Don Quixote movie (separate from the failed Terry Gilliam project): "I’m thinking of doing Don Quixote. Not the Terry Gilliam one. This would be based on an old Waldo Salt script. I think Gilliam's one has something to do with an advertising executive or something. Apparently Gilliam still wants to do his…its very complicated.I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny Depp, with his success of late, if he says he wants to do it, they'd do it. Mine's a separate project. I’d like to make it with someone like Jon Voight you know, or someone like John Leguizamo. But I'm in talks. It's hard to think how I can make a movie that's going to be so all of the world, that's going to have somebody in it that people are going to want to come and see, because every three years someone else is 'hot' and it's such a classic story - not unlike "Holes" - that has such a following, I've got to do it right."

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - Finally some new Harry Potter casting news, the great Emma Thompson will make a short appearance as Professor Trelawny.

Terminator 4 - Even though the third installment wasn't the megahit the company had hoped for, it was still enough to make the idea-less executives push for another. Of course, with Arnie playing governor a need headliner needs to be found. It seems that Ah-nuld himself suggested Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson and the idea-less execs are giving it some serious consideration. Jon Mostow isn't interested in directing again, so they'll need a new one of those, too. Bastards. First no Cameron or Hamilton (or even Furlong), now no Arnie - what's the point?

Star Wars: Episode III - "Revenge of the Sith" (almost as dull as Attack of the Clones) is the latest rumored (and horrible) title for the final Star Wars flick. Hayden Christiansen talked about the prequel recently to LatinoReview: "It still has to reach out to a specific audience, but it will be substantially darker than the previous films. I will say, on the record, the final fight sequence in this film will, in my opinion, and not having seen any of it cut together, should surpass any fight sequence that has been put on film so far. It’s the longest, I can’t give you specifics, but it is quite the bad-assed fight scene. Nick Gilliard has done an amazing job instilling an arc of story in the fight. It justifies, because you know Anakin and Obi-Wan have it out, but Anakin is the chosen one-he is supposed to be the best. But he comes out on the shorter end of the stick in the fight. It justifies it really nicely as the fight progresses".

The Mask of Zorro 2 - Martin Campbell confirmed in LatinoReview that a sequel is in the works and he is at the helm. "We're going to be doing The Mask of Zorro 2. Antonio is already on board...We're in talks at the moment to bring Catherine back - we'll see." Catherine Zeta-Jones may be a tough act to get now that she's one of Hollywood's biggest stars and has a recent Oscar on her mantle. It also sounds like Anthony Hopkins is in talks to appear in flashbacks. Cool.

King Conan: Crown of Iron - Arnie broke a lot of hearts when he was elected governor. Now it seems that director John Milius is determined to make another Conan movie without the Ah-strian. Milius is thinking that wrestler Triple H may be the right candidate. He likes his acting and thinks his age would be perfect for the flashbacks that would be required (with makeup for transformation to the older Conan). Milius and Triple H are already working together on an action flick called "Journey of the Deadman".

Life of Pi - According to the Hollywood Reporter, M. Night Shyamalan is looking into directing this comedy about a zookeeper's son stranded on a lifeoat with various animals. Heh, that's funny already.

Birth of the Pink Panther - According to CNN, Steve Martin is the top contender for the lead role of Inspector Jacques Clouseau in this remake. Ican Reitman is already signed on to direct, and Martin is expected to give his answer shortly, though naturally he's a little hesitant to step into a role formerly played by the late great Peter Sellers. Still, if this is a success (and that's a big if) it could give Martin the comeback he desperately needs in his career right now.

Alien: Director's Cut - Sadly, Fox has decided to cut the number a theatres for this re-release from 1200 to only 350, nationally. No word as to why.

Jurassic Park IV - According to The Billings Gazette, paleontologist Jack Horner (on which the original Alan Grant character was based) is working closely with Spielberg on a fourth movie. He also hints that there will be "a lot of velociraptor action"...as if that's anything new.

Schindler's List - Spielberg's best is finally coming to dvd next year, says Hive 4 Media.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Strangely, director Jay Roach has left the project he's spent almost a decade developing just a week after it finally got the greenlight. Disney is frantically searching for a replacement. No word on why Roach made his decision.

X3 - The British magazine New is saying that Britney Spears is eagerly vying for a role in the third X-flick. And I thought Keanu Reeves as Constantine was a bad idea... Also here's a first-look at concept art for a Sentinel. This artwork was done for an earlier draft of X2 and is now almost certainly going to be seen in X3. This particular piece of art and more will be able to be accessed on the upcoming X2 dvd.

SentinelsArtwork02.jpg

Karma - According to Variety, New Line Cinema has given the go-ahead to an interesting sounding live-action/cgi comedy starring the Rock. It tells the story of a safecracker who dies and then is reincarnated as a series of different animals, working his way up the foodchain. The writing duo behind "Shrek" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" are penning the script.

Ocean's Twelve - It sounds like Billy Bob Thorton has joined the already stellar cast of this Soderberg sequel, according to Bernie Mac.

Pirates of the Caribbean 2 - Gore Verbinski has officially signed on to direct the sequel to this smash-summer-hit. Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, and Keira Knightley are all showing interest in returning.

The Passion - Gibson's controversial film is getting retitled to "The Passion of Christ" (as if it hasn't been in the news enough for people to know it's about Christ, already) and is aiming for a release in late February 2004.

Yay! always was a fan of this thread. Here's my reaction, before Jax follows my lead (heh)

Punisher - Sounds good. Ennis stuff + new angles could really work, and bad first picture aside, this guy seems really eager to play the part right.. As a fanboy, i hope the director doesnt go too far on a limb, like Daredevil watchin a few guys die (the equivalent here would be, i dunno, Punisher crying a lot or trying not to actually kill his enemies). The hero/villian parallel could be fun if done right.

Matrix - :D This is my series, man.

Catwoman - 9..? Well, its not like i read the book or there's a big mythos arleady so yeah, make it up as ya go, i guess thats alright.

Batman - Ra's Al Ghoul? Cool! He's not very well known to the mainstream yet but he can be a really interestin villian if done right. I like that idea lot more than the Scarecrow, myself.

Logan's Run - Heh, Singer & Logan...please get Jackman in on this somewhere. Ill watch it.

LOTR - Damn, that's a lotta sittin. Hope its worth it.

King Conan - Hahaha hold up, i gotta tell :D - its Triple H now, that's great. That's like gettin Devito to play my boy Wolvy.

Star Wars - Im with Bob, this stands to be the coolest one. Youd really have to try hard to fuck it up, and i rather enjoyed episode 2...you know, outside of Anakin.

Jurassic Park - I cant say a damn thing here. I saw part 3 cause i wanted to see Pteradactyls. Oh, ill bash 4 if trailers look like ass, but ill see a raptor & whore myself out, lose like $7, bitch, then do it again in a few years. I hate that.

X3 - Spears? I thought Storm was the team's whore...if Singer were a lesser director, id fear a part written just for her, but thank god he isnt.

And wait, Sentinels? Damn! I mean, looks cool, but now we got, wha, Sentinles, possibly Beast and/or Gambit, plus the Phoenix in this one...? Hey, by now i prolly sat 3 & 1/2 hours through that elf movie, so if Singer needs 4, im down.

Brittany's X3 thang sounds like Jessica Simpson's Fantastic Four thang - complete bullshit...I hope... :(

Anyways;

The Punisher

It seems the film makers are gearing up for potential attacks on the movie's violent nature. Producer Gail Anne Hurd (who also took part in Hulk-Cock) said, "Obviously, we aren't in a position to rate the film. But in terms of the intensity and in terms of the action and all of that, the intent was certainly not to make the G, PG or PG-13 version. That's certainly quite a distinction from the Hulk and Spider-Man and the characters by rights that belong into a PG or PG-13 world. The Punisher doesn't." Marvel's Ari Arad added, "I think he was someone most people discovered later. We never wanted to try it as PG-13. It's going to be The Punisher. It's going to be intense. We never wanted to water it down for a younger audience."

The Poster got released as well...kinda better than the teaser, don'tcha think?

punisher_poster_2.jpg

Gale Anne Hurd also said that the character's motivation comes not only from the murder of his family, but a sense of betrayal.

"This is a guy who has always abided by the law and only used those abilities when he was given orders," Hurd said during The Continuum's visit to the set in Tampa, Fla., last weekend. "And to have that whole sense of right and wrong turned on its head when he's powerless to do anything about his own family... And the fact that he's never going to get justice from the system that he upheld for so many years, that he devoted his life to.

"And that's what created The Punisher. It's more than just his family. It has to do with this whole system in which he has been a willing soldier not giving him the justice that he feels is deserved when killers walk free."

Although the movie is an origin story, Hurd said it doesn't have to deal with how Frank Castle acquires his skills.

"(Being) a special forces operative prepared him for this," Hurd said. "It's not like he has to come into his powers. He already has them. Now it's just a question of whom he uses them against."

Be Cool

MGM will begin production in January on "Be Cool," the "Get Shorty" followup that F. Gary Gray will direct, with John Travolta reprising his role as Chili Palmer.

With Travolta in final negotiations, the studio has begun seeking cast around him, and first up is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who is being courted to play a bodyguard-singer who develops an uneasy alliance with Palmer. Studio is slotting the film for a holiday 2004 release.

The film is based on an Elmore Leonard novel hatched after then-MGM head Frank Mancuso asked the author at the "Get Shorty" premiere if he had a sequel idea.

"Be Cool" moves the loan shark-turned film producer Palmer away from the feature film business and into the music industry. In short order, Chili witnesses the murder of his music industry friend by the mob, he agrees to manage an up-and-coming singer, and he's threatened by her mob-connected manager.

Enter the Rock. He's being courted to play the manager's bodyguard, a big guy who wants to be a singer and who happens to be gay. After beating him up in their first encounter, Palmer tries to help the tough guy become a film star.

WMA was working quickly to close deals for Travolta and Gray, the latter of whom will tap his musicvideo background to secure established music talent for the film. The Barry Sonnenfeld-directed "Get Shorty" used feature cameos to give the pic an air of reality. UTA-repped Rock just toplined "The Rundown" and the MGM remake "Walking Tall," and he'd squeeze in "Be Cool" before starring for Universal in "Spy Hunter" in May.

A deal is in place for Jersey Films to return, as Danny DeVito, Michael Shamberg and Stacey Sher will produce with author Leonard and Michael Siegel. MGM's Michael Nathanson and Elizabeth Cantillon are shepherding the pic. The script by Peter Steinfeld includes onscreen reprisals for James Gandolfini's stuntman character and DeVito's Martin Weir character, though is is unclear whether either will be back.

Archived