Hondo's Bar

Waking Life

B00005YU1O.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1056707063_.jpg

Man why is it that no one thought to do that cool thing they do with the film? The very first moment, I was impressed. 5 to 10 minutes in I was sold. and you know what, it had conflict, it hadcharacters, good ones, it even had PLOT dammit....well maybe nt as much but it was still fuckin great.

I'd like to know what other ppl thought, those of you that have seen it, before I start recommending it to ppl. so post away

No plot to speak of, be honest.  

But brilliant, if you even remotely dig philosophy/provoking thought, cell-shading & various kinds of animation, etc this one's really worth a go, im pickin this one up for my collection this weekend.  I wouldnt recommend it to everyone, but if youve passed through the Lyceum & participated, you may very well really enjoy this one.  

Let it never be said that Junker recommends bad movies, fuck that was a great call.  Now his brother & Thin Red Line... :D (Heh, where'd TD go?)

Let this be a lesson to ya.... if I keep bugging you to watch something....  (*coughbeingjohnmalchovichcough*)

Hell yes, I love the movie.  It had enough of a plot to tie itself together without being completely all over the place.  What really tied it together for me though was the recurring themes in the conversations, those seemed more important than any literal plot.  The movie created over a dozed great characters.  You agree with some, don't agree with others, but none of them are bad characters, they are all fairly realistic and I think the acting is great.  Most of the movie consists of people talking to the main character, who is fairly quiet.  The fact that we could stand listening to these people talk for so long is a testament to both the acting and the animation.  The animation is obviously fucking amazing.  They do a great job of keeping your eyes busy but just about every bit of animation relates to the subject at hand... it always aids the conversation that's taking place.  Even the music was great.  I can't say enough good things about the movie.  It's insanely original, thought-provoking, and absolutely fucking cool.

Oh yeah, I loved the music!

Ok, I'm off to reccomend this to my ex professor. I was concerned about whether it would be boring to listen to ideas/concepts/theories that you're already highly familiar with. But our resident cowby's a fickin major in the shit and he still loved it so...

oh, yeah, I almost forgot, they have a site up selling art from the movie.  Not a huge selection of stuff but they have some nice parts for sale.  Holy fuck, um, I just kinda realized how expensive it is though...  Only 100 productions of each image is made, ever, and they're all signed by the director and artist so um... if you really liked it, and won the lotto... and are willing to spend hundreds.. um, check it out.... yeah... kind of pointless to even post about it now that I see the prices, but hey, I already typed it out, so check it out anyways, see how cool the movie looks.  Check out the general waking life site too, cool stuff on there, trailers and such... shouldnt need to see a trailer though, I say just see the thing...

Waking Life Art

Wakinglife.com

I agree completely, Junker know's his movies. I was excited about Being JM when I first heard about it. See it when it first came out. That moive was extremely impressive in many respects, but if one single element of it blew me away more than anything else it was that Cameron Diaz could actually look homely! Never saw THAT coming! Can I borrow Waking Life from anyone?

It's sort of a new movie, came out last year.  It got a little (very little) more press during oscar time because most people were angry that it wasn't up for best animated movie.  But I'm not surprised that noone's heard of the thing, the only reason I caught it in theaters (a sight to be seen on the big screen) is because I check reviews regularly and read about it.  Regardless, it's now out on video and DVD and very easy to find.

Well, here's the thing with the oscars. They aren't allowed to have a catergory at all unless at least 8 films qualify to be nominated. Most years in the past it's been one Disney film and a few odd others. But 2001 have 8 animated films (Shrek, Atlantis, Monsters Inc, Final Fantasy, Jimmy Neutron, Wakign Life, and ugh, two others I guess). And if you have 8, you can only nominated 3 films. Once you reach another magic number, you can nominate 4, and then another magic number, and you can nominate 5, and that's the limit. Now, Shrek and Monsters Inc needed to get nominatted. Haven't seen Waking Life, but those two were shoo-ins. Jimmy Neutron was a lame choice though, and seemed like an obvious filler to me, which pissed me off because I thought Final Fantasy, though, for some reason, a flop at the box office, was much better than Jimmy Neutron, and would have given it a mix of comedy and drama. Americans, as we all know, need to get it out of their heads that animation can be dramatic. At least we've made a little progress in that lots of people don't think animation is only for kids. But they still don't believe animation can be anything but children's movies and comedy. Maybe that's why waking Life didn't get nominated, maybe that's why Jimmy Neutron did. Any other thoughts?

PS Has an Anime ever been nominated for best foreign film?

It is true that when they think of animation, the closest thing to an adult move that they think of is shrek.  But still, yeah, mainly everyone said that jimmy neutron had no place being an oscar nominated movie, and that waking life should have taken the place of that.  The big deal was that they make this new catagory to recognize the skill that it takes to make an animated movie, and the possibilities that animation gives you in a movie, then they shun a movie that used animation in a completely original way, and exploited it's endless possibilites.  So they kind of fucked this catagory up in the first year it existed.

Now I wouldn't say they fucked it up. I mean, it's not like Jimmy Neutron won or anything. What would have been the point of nominating Waking Life anyway, it was Shrek's win before they even announced the nominees. I guess it did deserve the recognition that comes with nomination. Can i borrow it from anyone? Junker?

Wow. Monsters Ball isn't that old, but 40 days and 40 nights is pretty old to just be arriving.That was back when anne heche had just come out of the closet. Hope that news has gotten to you guys already, otherwise I'm letting the cat out fo the bag befroe you guys are supposed to know about it. :D

• 4 years later...

I did see this a few years ago. I liked it for what it was: a film that's interesting what hard to sit through. I'd probably sit through it again if I was watchign it with a chick whom I'd suspect watching Waking Life will would make her hot and turned on (a Philosophy Major chick, I guess). And I own I Heart Huckabees. I believe I was the first one on Hondo's to post the trailer to it and the first one to post a review of it.

• 1 year later...