Hondo's Bar

Movie Sequel Release Dates!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, yeah that was a great movie.

"Now that's a real shame when folks be throwing a way a perfectly good white boy like that."

"I've been going to this high school for seven and a half years. I'm no dummy"

And back on the subject

May 21, 2004 - Mission: Impossible 3

To me, John Woo directing M:I2 was an indication that it would be good. And David Fincher hasn't had much luck with his previous directions of 3rd in a series (Alien 3). Sigh, agian, it's easy to be skeptical. Always remember kiddies: La esperanza es la degacion de la realidad. Or for all you anglos out there: Hope is the denial of reality.

Yeah, but Alien3 was his first feature. He's had a pretty good track record since then. And Woo didn't do that bad. Cruise's wish with the series (as executive producer) is to have a completely different vision with each installment. He wants each one to explore different styles of action movies (if you believe there is such a thing). Woo's film certainly did that. It explored the plotless, stunt and set piece driven type of action movie. Whereas De Palma's explored the plot-driven espionage movie. I have no idea what Fincher's gonna do, but he's certainly a much different director from either of the first two.

I'm with bob on this one.  I wonder what movie people were watching when they expected MI2 to have a plot... it made itself very damned clear that it would be popcorn balls out action and I thought it delivered.  After seeing panic room, I would guess the the next mission impossible will be a hitchcock-style thriller.  I think that would be pretty damned cool.

My point is that, if you watch the movie, after about 15 minutes you will realize that it is very much unlikethe first one, and it's sequel is a popcorn action flick.  Sure, maybe for those 15 minutres or so you're confused, but after that you've noticed that it's a very different movie....  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it in this movie that they reference hitchock's "McGuffin" theory?   The idea that there is no real deep plot, there is simply a plot device that everybody wants, regardless of what it is (secret microfilm, maltese falcon, maltese donut, doesn't fuckin matter) that moves the story along so that we can get to the good sequences.  I don't remember, I have to see it again, but I think they mentioned the Mcguffin thing in MI2, and I thought it was a fucking brilliant way of saying "There is no real plot, enjoy the movie."

People act as if a plot is absolutely essential.  It isn't. Yes, that sounds bad, but dammit, can't you enjoy a scene where two guys on motorcycles joust without a deep plot to explain it?  All we fucking need is a good guy to root for and a bad guy to boo sometimes.  Sure, MI:2 wasn't truly great, certaintly because of the absence of a plot, but it was good because the extremely well crafted action sequences carried the movie well enough for me.  

Heh, it'd be funny if people hated the Fincher's MI:3 because of it's lack of action, I mean, it's the sequel to an action packed movie, and it will probably be a thriller with a plot... these poor bastards might go the whole 2 hours expecting tom cruise to pull out two guns and get on a motorcycle!  Then again us intelligent people (after the first ten minutes or so) will probably realize that it's simply another way of presenting the same story and enjoy it.

I just think that you shouldn't hate a movie because of a certain expectation you had of it.  MI:2, as a stand alone movie, is a cool popcorn action flick.  Fuck the fact that the first one was a complicated thriller, the second one disragarded the fact the the first onn ever happened, and I'm sure that the third one will disregard the fact that the second ever happened.  :ill: :D

But you can have a action film with plot. IF you want your movie ot have great action, why not have a plot too? The Matrix is the ultimate proof that you can have the world's best action sequences and still have a great plot that could stand on it's own. Some plots don't need action and do better without it, but action can always use some plot. So I ask you, why not expect some plot to go with it. If you don't want plot you can ignore it. You didn't need to pay attention to the plot to enjoy The Matrix; I know plenty of idiot who loves it without understanding the plot at all. Same for Fight Club. I find plotless action flim insult my inteligence by saying that I don't want substance, all I want is style and glitz. They could have had found a way to work a plot into M:I2 without losing all the action sequences, but they didn't, adn the fact that they could have but didn't it what offends me.

Dammit, the entire point of the post seemed to have cpompletely missed you.  I don't remember saying that you can't have plot and action, I also don't remember saying that MI2 was as good as the matrix.  I do remember saying that a plotless action movie can be very enjoyable.  Not every movie is the matrix.  Do you mean to tell me you've never enjoyed a kung fu movie then?  Cause very few of those fucking things have plots, even some of the classics.  But the plot isn't the purpose.  It sounds great to say "I need a plot in my movies", but then that means that you don't like any Jackie Chan, Jet li, or bruce lee movies.  Yes, it would have been very nice if MI:2 was this incredible movie with a great plot and crazy action.  It'd be great if every movie was a fucking masterpeice, but it don't happen.  In these movies the style is the substance.  I can appreciate a well made action sequence about as much as a well made dramatic scene.  You act as if the action took no work or talent.  Find me another director who could have filmed those.  Shit, the abbot and costello movies didn't have plots, but they were hilarious...  I mean, if you're not big on action, you dont need to like it, but it's not hard to understand that the movie could do just fine without a deep plot.

The truth is, in action movies having any sort of decent plot rarely happens. In fact, it's rarely possible. Since it's rarely logical to have that much action in a two hour time period, in the real world, plots have to be rarely logical as well. Even that beloved Matrix of yours sacrificed a lot of plot for its action scenes. I mean, it starts with some great philosophical ideas and what does it lead us up to? An hour long action sequence as a capper. I think Dark City did a far better job with the subject matter, because it stayed away from action that just slows such a plot down. You can't expect so much from these movies. You just usually can't fit action and plot together coherently unless you make a 3-fucking-hours-Lord-of-the-Rings-long movie. M:I2 was a decent action movie because it delivered just what it promised. If you were expecting more, you must not have paid attention to the trailers.

• 1 month later...