Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

There's 10 or so now. The Suggestion Box still needs to be a place that's only relevant to the board itself, an announcement forum. If im, say, collecting funds before were gonna get closed down, i dont want that info 2 pages after back-and-forth tangets where it gets ignored.

Trolls get to run free everywhere else. Everywhere. They simply cant vote (agreed upon a while back so polls seem to actually reflect something). I'm not about to go messaging any that're active right now, might be active soon, or keep tabs on new ones and basically invite them to come here and violate a suggestion, because you and Ly think im somehow killing the very spirit of the board by trying to emphasize things in one corner. Youre being ridiculous.

Besides, i cant keep individuals out of a forum, access goes by member group.

Then put madman in his own group, along with any other public troll and ban that group.

Your notion that sending this PM (And you could send ONE PM to multiple recipients) would be an invitation to the trolls to come mess shit up here is wrong. Remember, the trolls are just Real members wearing masks. That's why I'm for banning public trolls. With the private trolls a PM is actually talking to a real live member and once they understand your reasoning, they'll be cool.

I mean, I think your reasoning is quite correct. Suggestion Box SHOULD be troll free.

Right, its real members behind (private) trolls, but while theyre usually there more to make a joke than be outright antagonistic, you know asking them to stay out is like inviting an invasion. On other boards, trolls are kown only for flaming and crapping on things, i like to think of the ones here as more discordian, and theyre certainly not of the character to do what theyre kindly asked. Its almost the antithesis of their creation.

Youve yet to establish why simply locking them out is so horrible an alternative that doing all of this is somehow better. Also, giving madman his own group will only empower him. Its right out of the book of Longshanks.

Locking them out is restriction of speech of individual members. Explaining why not having them here is better for the forum and then having the puppet masters keep them away is much more to my liking.

As for why the troll should listen to you... well, Like I said, the troll doesn't have a separate PERSONALITY. A PM takes place out of the public view, so when you send a PM, you're talking to the man/ woman behind the mask without any mask involved, really.

If you challenge the trolls publicly, then they kinda have to respond in character for the sake of their street cred.

And it's hard to imagine madman more empowered than he is now. You've already made him a martyr for his people by blocking ALL of them because of what he did.

I didnt block them all because of him, i mean IN, Kap'n and others, i belive, have been in & out of here recnetly. Its just been a policy i sat on till i felt i needed to. madman's like half a mod, that's all the empowerment i can see he got.

By your logic, trolls are nothing more than extensions (masks) of their original posters, who are pefectly within their rights to post here, so im unsure who's be censored, then. Besides, now that this conversation is public, its an invite for trolls to invade if i lift the ban. I mean, id love to see more of Tangent Man (and thusly cotangentx), Pink Hulk, TourrettsMan and others around, but since were both agreeing they dont belong here, it should be a moot point. The individual members themselves arent having their speech restricted one bit, just that of their puppets.

But when you can't speak as one of your personalities, your speech has been restricted.

2nd, I think you should at least do the PM request thing, and if the private trolls *do* flood you with crap, then I'll support the ban and you can get Jax to move their posts to the crapshack AND I'll buy you one sixpack of whatever the beer of the week is...

I think this entire argument is rediculous, and the counter arguments are rediculous.

It's simple: in a serious thread, no trolls. Because trolls are used by members, this is a no brainer. This doesn't 'hamper anyone's free speech', it isn't 'censorship'. It's keeping a thread soley about the technical runnings of the boards clean, and the reasons given are easy. But this back and forth between the pair of you is absurd. Jumbie, you're being contrary just for the sake of being contrary. Knock it off. And Nick, you KNOW he's doing it just to be difficult, stop playing into his needs.

Geez. This should not have gone on as long as it has.

haha, good point.

arch - i tend to indulge here, even when i feel its getting ridiculous cause i dont want policies to be entirely arbitrary, members gotta have the right to dispute them here, however minute. He's a right to plead his case for troll-love.

normally I would agree, but this is arguing for the sake of being argumentative. There's no restriction of speech here, real or imagined. Trolls aren't members of this community: they're amusement. It's like arguing whether or not Big Bird or Mickey Mouse can vote. This is beyond absurd, and the fact that it's gone on this long is taking it into Wonderland.

You know Jumbie is like this, why play the game? if he wants attention, I'm sure there's a topic in philosophy you two can go back in forth on, but this is stupid.

It's like arguing whether or not Big Bird or Mickey Mouse can vote.

No, it's like argueing whether Jim Henson or Walt Disney are allowed to speak in an alter-ego persona as Big Bird or Mickey Mouse. Anonimity or perspection of one's identity is a dimension of free speech.

And I don't believe Jumbie is just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. I believe you are accusing Jumbie of being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative because you not only think you're right about everything, but you believe that deep down, everybody argees with you about everything, and that everybody but you refuses to admit what they know to be true. So you don't believe that people have geniune concerns that you don't share; you think everyone's just being a dick and trying to be difficult. It's why you've put two of the four people that you have to converse with in the Politics forum on Ignore, a move which continues to dimish your standing among one than just myself.

I hereby cosign Jumbie's proposed agenda of free speech on Hondo's Bar. If you don't like it, you can go to Cuba and start a discussion board there. I'm sure the government would be more than happy to collaborate with you in a shared vision for a highly regulated forum. In the meantime, Hondo's Bar is still based in America, land of the free, home fo the brave. :) I'm sorry to hear that America's values just aren't good enough for you.

Edited by Jack's Meandering Thoughts

This is rather childish don’t you think? I merely asked for my rights as a mod to be activated as is right. Seriously I try to voice my opinion and I get kicked out. For no just reason and for no just crime have you exiled me. Your hands are not clean of me.

Holy fuckin shit, Arvchangel thank you so much for opening my eyes! I never realized that I was such an attention-seeking whore who only posts to make others notice me.

How naive of me to think all along that the things I post about, in an admin forum no less, are about what I believe in.

---------------------

YOu know, You've blocked me and sworn at me and called me all kinds of horrible things, and I just smiled because it was nothing less than I expected of you.

But for you to imply that I take this board lightly and that I have frivolous reasons for my positions on board policy is petty of you to a new extreme, besides being completely unfounded.

The position I've taken on trolls is the kind of position I have always taken on board admin matters. YOu weren't even around when Me and Bacchus and Yahven fought the edit wars back in Drunken Deities to make Politics the section of the board with the most freedom to speak your mind, so maybe you don't know, but the topic of speech in Hondo's is something I take real seriously.

-----------------

I'll listen to every argument you have to make for banning trolls and consider them, but I think you need to stop and think before you go accusing me of taking up this fight to get attention.

This is rather childish don’t you think? I merely asked for my rights as a mod to be activated as is right. Seriously I try to voice my opinion and I get kicked out. For no just reason and for no just crime have you exiled me. Your hands are not clean of me.

madman is a hydra with no accountability and no way to reason with him.

Any old fool can stick his hand up his butt and make him speak. Giving madman admin abilities means power in anonymous, unaccountable, hands and that's not a good idea.

What do you think things are like now? Who are most of these administrators and how can they, even now, being held accountable or at least in check? I show up to post my concerns as madman and bam madman gets blocked and even though I'm crying a river madman still can't come back in here. Was madman even made admin of Fight Club for a reason or as a joke? Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree because I actually don't know if his power has been granted. If so then let me know IN.

Isn't Madman "The People's" troll? Why was he given mod rights in the first place, anyways? I must have missed something. But at any rate, As he was The People's troll, why did this person change the password? I think that if you lock everyone else out of that account, then you should lose any rights to mod or even post yourself.

Words!

madman was never given mod powers

He was just named a mod as a joke.

The current admins/ mods ARE accountable, because we knw who they are and can discuss with them. If a mod edits someone, it'll say 'edited by ______' at the bottom and we can argue with that person.

If madman edits someone, then we don't know who did it cuz madman is a public troll. That leaves things open to abuse.

That may not apply anymore however, according to what MH is saying.

mARVeN, If you've taken over madman and changed the password so that only U can use him then it's true that he's not a public troll, but you've taken away the only thing that ever made him interestin (his multiplicity) and the rationale for naming him a mod in the first place disappears.

Cue whore number 2:

No, it's like argueing whether Jim Henson or Walt Disney are allowed to speak in an alter-ego persona as Big Bird or Mickey Mouse. Anonimity or perspection of one's identity is a dimension of free speech.

No, it isn't. The question here is not to limit free speech in any way, it's to determine when speech is appropriate and when it isn't, an argument that goes on even in the highest levels of ALL free governments. In the very laws you wish to cite, in your lack of knowledge of said law, you merely support my statements: Freedom of Speech does not mean anarchy. A limitation on speech includes any speech which hinders government operation. If you wish to use the same analogy that you yourself brought up, then the free speech of this board should not hinder the running of this board. for those very reasons, it is unlawful for a protester to protest in Chambers while Congress is in Session, so to should it be against board regulations for the same form of activities on the one thread that is specifically set aside for the running and management of this board.

Jim Henson and Walt Disney did not develop Mickey Mouse and Big Bird as alter-egos. They are trademarked characters in the respective business they created, which are separate entities from Walt Disney and Jim Henson. Look up the definition of alter-ego.

And I don't believe Jumbie is just being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative. I believe you are accusing Jumbie of being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative because you not only think you're right about everything, but you believe that deep down, everybody argees with you about everything, and that everybody but you refuses to admit what they know to be true.

deflection, Jax: attacking me isn't going to improve your position at all, and is only enforcing the point that both you and Jumbie argue for the sake of being argumentative, you moreso than Jumbie (I'll give him that).

It's why you've put two of the four people that you have to converse with in the Politics forum on Ignore, a move which continues to dimish your standing among one than just myself.

my decision to ignore Jumbie and Dickweed has nothing to do with this thread, nor is it, frankly, any of your business. Whether you choose to mis characterize it is your affair, but I certainly don't have to justify my decisions to you, Edwardo.

Besides, the only person of note I'm ignoring is Jumbie. NO ONE pays attention to what Drifter says. I'm only officially doing what everyone else does passively.

Edited by archangel

sERIOUSLY try out his passWORD becauSE eVen thouGH i havE BEEN useIng HIM he Has REMained inTact and It's just THat these Folks are jusT tyPING in the wrong PASsword. HERE's a hINt itS not SUger DroPS and IF THat iSn't cleAr enough then YOU JusT dON'T dESErve to use his POwER. herE's a quIck questioN JumBIE, SINce yOU A quIte fAMILIER wITH hIS RisE TO mODERATOR, who WANted MADMan TO be thE mod IN, OR ARc, oR SKeETer?

I'm not THAT familiar, but I know it happenned back before Skeeter had too much to do with Fightclub. My guess would be Irish Ninja listed madman as mod as a joke, but I can't be sure.

I am very sure his elevation to mod was a joke.