Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

The NZA

Well, Yahven may not be a part of this board anymore, but no reason he cant be discussed.

Ok people, here goes:

On the board's new skin

I really want to distinguish us. This isnt a "hey, its post 9-11, lets ditch all the images of the towers" thing; we came from Drunken Deities, and that's cool. But this new place, i like drawing a line in the sand with it: this isnt what was Yahven's, this is a public board, just with me runnin it. There's a big difference, and i'd like to do some ambitious things with it, as ive been sayin.

But for iconic value, i really wanted to get out of the default blue skin. I know many of you are fond of it, but every other board uses it, and we should have somethin different. I tried to pick a board overall skin that was

1) Easy to read

2) Most like the blue one

and such; if enough of you dont like it, back we go, but if its only a few, id like to remind you that you can change the skins in this forum or any other (for yourself) from your control panel, skins & language options...try it, there's a few extra ones in there i dont use that are just there for some of you, like an X-box one for Spiffy.

Anyway, I want us to take a different look is the point, and Im hoping youre all with me here; post here & lemme know when you can tho, i'd appreciate it. Also, if i can find em, watch for seasonal ones & such when the time comes!

- :D

PS i expect some heat for Bullet Bill here for "new posts here" bf_new.gif - I'm not married to the idea. I tried other Goombas, various mario icons, and this one really looked the smoothest; others had a gray background & such. If you have somethin in mind that i can make that size, and its cool, we could try it out. I dont necessarily mean to turn this place into a 8-bit heaven, but...well it certainly looks that way, ill admit. Lemme know, people!

Ok, after readin up a bit, some changes've been made:

-"Flood Control" has been removed for most of you, post whenver you want, how much you want.

-Most of you now have ability to PM up to 5 people at once; its not that handy, but i figure if its an option, it oughta be open.

-Almost all of you can add events to the calendar. Your birthdays, if you put em on your profile, should already be there. But you can add big release dates for movies, albums etc, same as you would a post, so feel free to put in pics, links etc for hype if ya like.

Its also good for cultural/religious etc days youd like to share, so help yourself. I think you can get to it by clicking "calendar" at the top right of the board; "add new event" oughta be in there somehwere...just dont abuse it, ya know?

-Those of you with over 1,000 posts - again, the Senate is done, your group is your call, and it can be more than one word, doesnt bother me. Oh, and if youd like a non-purple color for your group, just ask - any but green are prolly up for grabs, within reason.

-Im tryin to save room; older groups get 50 private messages, others get 25, should be enough, right?

More options as i find em, as always. Let me know bout the front page skin too, people!

Definitely dig all the new changes IC Is there a way to change my clock to account for the lack of daylight savings time? The board is an hour ahead of me. The time thing in My Controls only seems to allow me to choose my time zone, which, to my knowledge has not yet changed :D

Glad to hear it - yeah, if you found your way to the time zone part of your options (in control panel), right below where you pick your time zone, there's a box to check or uncheck for daylight savings time - i too found this out a week or so ago, think if you uncheck it (or opposite if its empty), you should be back on track.

• 5 weeks later...

Ok...so, this new option of a SPOILER tag to hide text until its highlighted didnt work out, guess we'll stick with jax's idea of white font until i can get it goin...

...the good news is, check the bottom of the board, we now have Member of the Day & Week shout-outs! Not to mention thread...member's based on the number of toipcs you started (not replied to), and thread is replies...i cant choose it from here, honestly. There's an option for member of month & year but that's a lil much...anyway, congrats to 2Track on being our first member o' the day, as well as the week! :D :D :D Drinks on him at the forum pub!

Lemme know if you guys dig this option; im tryin to find others...its tricky, i have to back every move i make up since i suck with coding. There's a lot of other mods/options but nothin ive seen yet that we could use, honeslty...most of em are built by admins, so theyre shit like "how to block everybody from getting in" or "how to read everyone's private messages" (heh) and im really not interested. There's a cool RPG one that'd give you guys Hit points, experience, level up etc based on activity but that might get kinda crazy/complicated, so i reluctantly pass.

I cant stress how welcome you are to check out the mods availiable for our board (version 1.2) over at IBPlanet where theyre all kept...you can take a look at descriptions, demos of them in use, see them rated by people, etc...if something catches your eye & you think we could use it, lemme know. You should be able to browse just fine, if they give you any shit, lemme know that too & ill set us up a public account, for those interested.

Anyway, heres to some sleep, then findin more customizations for us later...again, gimme some feedback, and g'nite everybody.

- :D

Ok...not a big fan reaction on my mod, 's a shame. ???

Anyway, since it goes mostly on "new topics" and its my job to hunt for shit to steal share here, its redundant, ill win month/year a lot by default. But those of you who make new topics or reply to a lotta shit will win the day one, so i think that's the only catergory ill leave for a while, see how it goes.

On busy days, ill encourage folks (once ya'll notice the feature more) to celebrate your victory as "Member of the Day" with an acceptance speech over in the pubs...mebbe have competitions sometimes, on who can make more irrelevant toipcs, etc...we could have fun with it. What do you guys think?

No dobut you will...

Well, im off, but if i get a chance tomorrow, i wanna fiinsh working on a few projects here, one of which will intergrate the rest of the site (links, pic/art of the week, etc) more easily into the board, ive been trying to do that without the use of what's called a "portal" page, standard in most boards nowadays - the ones that force you to go there before the forum...our front page is a mock-version of that i made, but its not supposed to hold you up, i figure. Im working on a kind of taskbar thing, if i get it goin...itll be cool. Anyway, there's that (a huge change) and a minor one if i can implement the Spoiler tags - does anyone think well use this much?. That's all i got goin right now, aside from some holiday stuff. Cmon people, tell me what ya think of alla this.

Ok that means ill finish up the Spoilers later, too...itll basically just put whatever text you put within em into a paragraph that says "click for spoiler", and you click it, and boom.

The bar is somewhat customizable, as far as text & colors...what do you think? All i cant do so far is get it to scroll down as you do, its supposed to...otherwise, its about how i want it so far...any ideas? Comments, thoughts, etc? Cmon, it took effort...

• 1 year later...

Hey The Nick, I got a suggestion for ya!! Go to the tanning salon, you pasty bitch!! Nah, for real though... is it possible ta put the "Lo-Fi Version" of Hondo's tab at the top of the front page? I go on Hondo's on my phone when at work and the "regular" Hondo's is to much for it! Every once in a while it lets me stay on long enough to chose the lo-fi shit... so I was thinkin' if it was at the top I could choose it right away before I get booted!! Can you do that for your buddy, old pal?

Jesus man, you're askin me to re-code the board's entire layout to do that....damn. I didnt even know people used that feature, that's cool.

Tell you what: can you just learn/write down this link? ill see if i can find a simpler, easier-to-remember one...

*done: just try hondosbar.com/forum/lofiversion! i think that'll do it.

Edited by Irish Cowboy

Thanks Nick! I guess it's just not ment for me to post from my phone! I get the lo-fi version from that link, but I still can't log on through there! The reason that I wondered if you can place it at the top, was so that I can log on first, THEN switch to lo-fi mode!! Don't worry about it, man!! It's cool... I was just wonderin'!

• 7 months later...