Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

I have no interest as to who is giving feedback, but I get the occasional unmentioned +1 that pops up in my profile. Esp for blargh posts. The post that gets the +1 shows the change, its just hunting down that particular post is all.

I too would like this.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 words: Crying. Jordan.

or 

Hondo's News Ticker   <marquee direction="left" scrollamount="4" behavior="scroll" style="width: 300px; height: 15px; color: #2b002b; font-size: 11px; font-family: Comic Sans MS; background-color

• 1 month later...

Idea #1:

Hondo's Dark Theme: for those that like dark themes and for browsing Hondo's in lowlight situations and at night. I like dark grey backgrounds, with elements in blacks, lighter greys, and the text in white.

Maybe you can just import a skin/theme to the forum or I could write one in CSS, it'd mostly just be editing the colours of the current one I guess? If not I'm willing to put together a basic one with browser extension Stylish (just CSS) for the boards I visit most.

Idea #2:

Hondo's Minimal: More JavaScript than CSS I think. This could be a proper theme rather than just skin colours.

It would get rid of the banners we have on the boards, a lot of the graphical elements and unused space, and offer a minimalist, elegant layout of the boards which would make it ideal for autists like myself, and people using mobile devices (phones, pads, netbooks, etc), and slower connections.

Like Scriptish extension, idea #2 could be run from Greasemonkey/Scriptish for personal use. I would think it best if we could have the option for these skins+themes in our user forum settings. If you could point me in the right direction/give me the current theme so I can edit it instead of rewrite that would be great.

Edited by Lorelei

fair enough:

1) i tend to lock down the skins because they come from different places & i try to optimize them for their given forums. i know my customizations (banners, etc) weight things down a bit, but they also make things messy if given the option to use in other forums. this version of the board even brought a basic hex editor, so making other colors isn't hard - if you like, ill try to look into user-specific settings for access to things like that, but they might require you to be in your own member group.

2) Bear in mind, if you access Hondo's from most phones, you'll get a mobile skin which is very basic. We have a thread for other mobile options as well. we're overdue for a board upgrade, hoping that'll bring options for more tablets/etc but i need to check on that.

Additionally, i have to dig up the link, but like many boards, there's a web-accessible minimal-as-hell/text-only skin that was built for PDA use back in the day. if you've every google searched this or another forum, it's possible you've seen it. lemme know if you wanna try that out.

as far as greasemonkey/custom scripts, that kinda stuff is always welcome; if you're proficient & have an idea, toss it up once it's done and ill put it out there for other users to try out if they're inclined. lemme know man.

When I load up Hondos on my phone (default browser), it's about as minimal as I would be able to stand. I've grown used to it, but the shoutbox and 'today's active content' would be a welcome addition.

I'm not overly concerned about any of this (although your out of place Runescape and Harry Potter skins do make me grit my teeth). That said, far be it from me to whine about an option that others would be able to enable at their whim and customize their experience as they see fit.

active content really shouldve been available, i hope it is later in the default - i'm assuming it is in some of the premium ones, no idea though. i'd not hold my breath on the hollabox, though; remember that it's a custom mod.

i really don't see how Harry Potter's bad for a most lit forum, but yeah, ever since you reminded me about Runescape (confession time: i didnt even know it was a video game, shit made me assume it was some tabletop shit when i saw it), ive all but renamed it LogansBane.ips or something. :2T:

1. There's a "new content" button, but it isn't the same. It's like the last few hours or something.

2. I cannot "remember" that the hollabox is a custom mod because I did not "know" the hollabox is a custom mod. I scarcely even understand the difference. No need to explain, seriously.

3. I forget sometimes that they also made books based on those films.

4. I suppose the name Zezima means nothing to you then. confession time: I spent several months grinding a character on Runescape in 2004ish because I saw how much they (illegally) sold for on ebay at the time. I suppose I could have made more than a few hundred bucks if I had spent that time doing...well...pretty much anything really, but it was the principle of the thing.

2. I cannot "remember" that the hollabox is a custom mod because I did not "know" the hollabox is a custom mod. I scarcely even understand the difference. My life would be that much richer if you'd just allow me to sit down on this here tree stump and have you elaborate in a non-concise manner, my friend.

WELL SINCE YOU INSIST :lecture:

custom mods are just scripts like what loreli's talking about, that people in the community of IPB (our board makers/host service) throw together, like the custom skins we use before i butcher them. if we lose features on upgrades (the wiki, the box for a minute there, who's signed on today, member anniversaries etc) 99% of the time, its because it was a custom mod seemlessly integrated into the old version. most big upgrades are coded so differently, it means all our old skins & mods will not work. years ago i learned to give it 6 months+ before jumping up cause new features are nice, but if there's no support for stuff like that, no one's gonna give a shit when they realize the hollabox wasn't a standard-issue thing.

see this post. realistically, with most of you agreeing that seeing who left you the feedback could be potentially disastrous (drama-wise), there's nothing in the current board version, or any i see in the next, that could fix this. you guys kinda have to make peace with it, or just ask somewhere who left it, if it vexes you so.

yeah, right now, i kinda use a custom mod to see that data easier, but a) it's only admin accessible and b) you can't see one without the other. knowing there's an interest in it, i will keep an eye out for a script for that specific wish though, can't imagine you guys are the only ones who wanna have that option.

I've gotta give a disclaimer because I'M the guy suggesting this. I swear my motives aren't self serving.

Would it maybe be possible to scale the amount of +1's available by post count? Like, if you're a more active member of the community, you get to give a little more feedback. It seems perfectly fair to me.

I've given no thought to the details, so just an arbitrary number for the sake of example: Let's say for every 500 posts, you get another +1 to give away. This gives a nice little pat on the back for all those people who have contributed so much and a minor incentive to remain active.

Maybe also take away the ability to +1 yourself as well, or make it so any post that is self +1'd gets publicly tagged for it, so you can wallow in the shame if you so choose.

I usually squander mine almost as soon as I remember that they've reset. There are times I'd like to just +1 someone's unintentionally human and beautiful series of pics from a photo booth, but I already spent it on a racist joke from JZA.

Just a thought I randomly had.

metagaming cheeve whore weighs in on rep system, all goes according to plan

Would it maybe be possible to scale the amount of +1's available by post count? Like, if you're a more active member of the community, you get to give a little more feedback. It seems perfectly fair to me.

I've given no thought to the details, so just an arbitrary number for the sake of example: Let's say for every 500 posts, you get another +1 to give away. This gives a nice little pat on the back for all those people who have contributed so much and a minor incentive to remain active.

this isn't an awful idea. right now, you plebs have 1 to + and - a day, while my dirty assistants have 5, and i have a meager ∞ . encouraging activity is a plus, maybe when the revision's done we'll implement something that scales per thousand or more posts, but the trick right now is that the #'s are set by member group - meaning, with you (logans) as an example, any new amount of feedback you'd be allowed, so would all other sr. members. might have to sort that when the time comes.

Maybe also take away the ability to +1 yourself as well, or make it so any post that is self +1'd gets publicly tagged for it, so you can wallow in the shame if you so choose.

oh, i would love this, and the moment i see a mod for it, ill implement it, please believe. :2T:

• 3 weeks later...

6237990396_7a900e9dcb_b.jpg

DIDN'T I BAN YOU, SISTER!?

LET THIS BE A LESSON TO ALL WHO TAKE THE NEW RULES LIGHTLY. IF IT CAN HAPPEN TO SOMEONE AS LOVABLE AS RAY-RAY, IT CAN BE ANY OF YOU NEXT.

especially logans.

okay im gonna go unban you but you gotta tell me who was trying to login to the admin CP the other day! im on alert with that shit after the intrusions we had this summer.

yeah, didnt bring it up because i wanted to patch it up before publicly discussing it. still working on security.

over a month ago, someone tried logging into the admin control panel with every account - they got in with MH, jax (his pass was like 1234 or something), and i wanna say StillB, fortuntely none of them have abilities right now because after the last upgrade it all reset and i still need to talk to people to divy up what they can do, but none of the 3 have been super regular lately/kinda busy with their own stuff so i've held off, and it paid off since whoever got in was powerless anyway.

changed all 3 of their passwords, banned the IP (for what that's worth) and tried out some security measures, the funniest of which was a popup to get into the admin logon that i dont recall what pass i put it on, so failing a few times got me IP banned from the site, that was a funny call to our hosting service. gonna try a few other measures first, but id like to implement that one later - id just have to make sure the deputies all know their shit or they too will get IP banned hard and just 404's everytime they visit. but yeah, fuck that intruder.

poor ray-ray failed a login the other night, and her IP (for whatever reason) didnt match her usual ones - i know they're usually not static but this traced to washington or some shit so i banned it. oops! haha, all fixed now.

Oh damn, that's some shit.

What a weird place to target, it's not like we have credit cards attached to the profiles or anything (yet, can't wait for those microtransactions!).

Musta been some random cunt that wanted to ruin someone's day.