Hondo's Bar

Actual Suggestion Box

Regarding the blogs ( I see the our little title thingy changed again ), is there a way to have the updates for them appear on the side with the calender/birthdays. It almost seems like too distant as a feature I guess? I like the blogs myself and want to see them stay... maybe if I wrote more that would help, but that's pure laziness right there. I still acknowledge their existence. :p Thought maybe there could be a more in house way to keep us interested.

Edited by axel_napalm
  • Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

2 words: Crying. Jordan.

or 

Hondo's News Ticker   <marquee direction="left" scrollamount="4" behavior="scroll" style="width: 300px; height: 15px; color: #2b002b; font-size: 11px; font-family: Comic Sans MS; background-color

• 3 weeks later...

Hey NZA can we do something about the Skin/theme of the Sports forum?? I was trying to read the Olympics thread and I found it extremely annoying that when someone quotes something its seen as white letter on white background. Also in the main page its near invisible the number of pages every thread has...

Edited by Boogie

again, i honestly don't know.

i tried 2 other black skins to match the color scheme and the problem oddly persisted, i couldn't sort out why and i asked for help on invision forums and basically got "have them use a different color for quotes". it's the biggest remaining issue in my mind and im starting to think its one of those that'll be there until the next upgrade.

when more skins are available ill try another though.

• 1 month later...

Hondo's News Ticker

<marquee direction="left" scrollamount="4" behavior="scroll" style="width: 300px; height: 15px; color: #2b002b; font-size: 11px; font-family: Comic Sans MS; background-color: #008504;">old man logan sad there's more people alive buying pop now than when he was into hipster garage bands, news at 11</marquee>

'Cross the top of the homepage. It should happen.

• Upvote 1

haha - yeah that could be fun but i dont even put enough clever things in the little box we have now (ive meant to put my favorite quotes each week but its hard to do that sometimes without looking petty). no idea how you'd hide it though, id say custom item in adblock but mobile devices wont have that.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, heck maybe even I've done so (My memory ain't so good.), but why can't we get a message or separate notification when one of our posts has been neg'd or plus'd? They can still remain anonymous, but just a link to the post in question w/ something like: Your post received a comment.

What say ye Nza? Yes, no, maybeso?

ah, it's probably doable but it'd take a custom script. if i came across one, id have to beta it as prior notification scripts had some issues where members'd get spammed (even ones not posting anymore), which was troubling.

i'm hoping the next big software revision brings more options in smaller things like this, but im also hoping that update takes a year or more because updating sucks.

*for posterity: if any of you feel you're being attacked/unfairly bombed via the feedback system, Logans is our chief of conflict resolution and assures me he's happy to resolve these issues 24/7

Could there possibly be a way for us to customize the forums for ourselves? Like, say we post in a particular topic really often and we just pin it for ourselves, but only us. Like a favorites topic section we can jump to?

Is there a way to speed up the authorizing process on new members? I know we have all these things in place to prevent spammers and that's good, but lately I see people join, sit in awaiting authorization limbo and never post once in. I mean, they're here. Get em going! Even a few hours might be too long to wait. By that time they're long gone to greener, quicker pastures.

I was thinking this too. Sometimes it takes awhile before someone notices.

The authorization makes sense, because of spammers, Attack of the Trolls '09 and security risks.

But lately, and I've been meaning to say something (albeit more privately), I'm of the opinion that those things really aren't such a big deal.

So someone spams. So what? We clean it up, have a laugh and hit em with the banhammer.

So we get overrun by worthless trolls. It spices things up for a minute, then see above. Worst case scenario, the mods actually have something to do for a minute.

All that leaves are security issues. What I'm wondering is how many doors are actually opened if we knock down the newjack permissions to practically nothing? Can they really do much without HTML access and such?

There could also be a lot of other legit reasons for the current registration process that only NZA knows.

If not, I would be for opening the gates.

I know its possible that if we just start letting all the riff raff of the internet aboard with no limitations then we're bound to get someone that will hack the board and destroy all our life's work. BUT I feel we're TOO strict. We're not even giving these guys a chance. When's the last time we had a new member that wasn't brought on by one of us? Someone that randomly found us googling table showers? I'm just saying.

there's other ways to exploit code than just HTML - and let's not act like i don't want new people here.

the newest member passed email verification, but their IP tracks to a region which usually fronts for bots - i directly emailed them and am waiting for a response. they're in as soon as i hear back.

no actual humans have been kept at the gates so far, and given the constant security updates for our software in the last year alone: yes, i'm mindful of said gates, and yes, there's reason for it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...