Hondo's Bar

Al Pacino - favorites

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Yahve

on that past kpax note, I saw it on a rental expecting shit and was thoroughly surprised.  A very entertaining film. Defenitely worth giving a shot to view.

Al is da man!  Yesterday Godfather, tonight, Godfather II :D

Hmm...aside from the final speech, id say it was Al's great portrayl of a blind man. I read somewhere that he spent months in a home for the blind to learn/practice, and in many scenes, i think it pays off - "Im in the dark here!" - etc.

Just a good story with one of Pacino's best performances, id say.  He's got the flawed protagonist down to a tee.

You been taking a swin in Lake You recently or what JMT?

Ok, i think this means 'have i been taking a swim in a lake of myself'. If that is the case, what does that mean? And working with disabled people like that is the best way to get a handle on how to play a hanicapped person. Brad Pitt spent like 3 months in a pysch ward with really messed up people to play his role in 12 Monkeys (If you haven't seen 12 Monkeys, stop reading now, and go see it). It really the best way to do it.

I think Scent of a Woman is only watchable because of Al's character. What other actor could make such a vulgar guy so likable? And who else could actually make something as odd as "hoo-ah!" an american catch-phrase. That said, though, I think his earlier performance in Dog Day Afternoon is getting over-looked

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Yeah, some say he does get typecast..not as bad as the Duke did but he is guilty of it, at times...even Insomnia had a hint of it. I just dont see that as a bad thing: if ya dont like the character, leave it be, but if you enjoyed Scent of a Woman, it means youll find redeeming things about his others.

• 5 years later...

His performance in the Godfather out shined by Marlon Brando in the first one and Robert de Niro in the second, and the 3rd while he was good in it it was a very forgettable film, and compared to pretty much all the other performances on this list it really wasn't anything special.

so because brando and de niro were better than him, take makes his performance worse?

no way is his performance in the godfather way worse than everything else on this list.

were you drunk last night? :)

They overshadowed him therefore everyone thinks "Hey remember how good Brando was in that movie?" forgetting his performance. And in comparison to his later career it was good but he outdid himself up until the mid-90s.

Edited by Iambaytor

i think baytor's right on this one, man. Brando was what's remembered of 1 and DeNiro stole the fucking show for 2. Which, as you said, doesnt undermine Pacino's grand performance, its just not one you associate as easily as, say, Scent of a Woman and such.

Scarface is a funny one 'cause to me its basically a highly-adored cult anti-hero with Pacino's overdone cuban accent that sounds nothing like any cuban ive ever met.

Scarface was not a great movie, it's a cult movie pure and simple and Tony Montana isn't a particularly well written character, Pacino just had such good stage presence with it that it's more remembered than the very similar and much better Carlito's Way.

i think baytor's right on this one, man. Brando was what's remembered of 1 and DeNiro stole the fucking show for 2. Which, as you said, doesnt undermine Pacino's grand performance, its just not one you associate as easily as, say, Scent of a Woman and such.

Scarface is a funny one 'cause to me its basically a highly-adored cult anti-hero with Pacino's overdone cuban accent that sounds nothing like any cuban ive ever met.

i can accept people thinking that in scent of a woman or scarface he gave a better performance,

but baytor saying everything on this list is far superior? nonsense

His performance in the Godfather out shined by Marlon Brando in the first one and Robert de Niro in the second, and the 3rd while he was good in it it was a very forgettable film, and compared to pretty much all the other performances on this list it really wasn't anything special.

Don't split hairs.

Dog Day is great, i try to pretend Swordfish didnt reference it. and yeah, finally saw Serpico, Sea of Love and most of his others down the road (our college had a crazy VHS selection for some reason), movie comes to mind everytime i watch the wire or the shield.