Hondo's Bar

King-Fu/Martial arts flicks

Well, it got plenty of hype & its really more of a Kabuki thing, i thought, but Id say Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, that was pretty good.

Uh...most kung-fu flicks ive seen in the last few years have been Jackie Chan slapstick stuff....if youre goin for the plot, there's not much, but theyre cool to watch.  Cant profess to seein much of em; saw the old Wu-Tang ones and standard Bruce Lee back in the day, that's about it.

Hey, not to alter the topic, but what's everyone's favorite kung-fu movie fight sequence?

My favorite two kung fu movies hands down are Jet Li's fist of legend, and Jackie Chan's Drunken Master 2.  Those are just too badass for words, and each guy's best movie, IMO.  As for favorite fight scenes, from Drunken Master two it'd be the factory fight at the end, Fist of legend has lots of my fav fight scenes.... the last one with the general/chinese M. Bison and the one in the dojo, just badass.  Iron Monkey did also rock, and Wing Chun is another great one that comes to mind.  Good call on Crouching Tiger, I love that movie, the fight scene with all the different weapons rocked, can't beleive that Ang Lee is directing the Hulk movie, bound to be good.  As you can tell I'm a HUGE fan of Yuen Woo Ping, the martial arts Choreographer for ALL of the movies I mentioned so far, as well as the Matrix.  I want to clone this guy and have him choreograph every fight scene ever made.  He deserves as much as if not more credit than the stars in these movies.  There's a movie he choreographed coming out soon in american theaters called "Zu Warriors."  Anybody heard about it?  Supposed to be real big in China or somethin.  It's a Chinese fantasy movie... much more so that Crouching tiger's high jumping, this has people flying aroud shooting fireballs at eachother and stuff.  Trailer looked ok, and it's directed by Tsui hark (better tommorrow 3, once upon a time in china, Peking opera blues), who is a badass in his own right.  Looks promising to me.

1st Jet li Rocks all though there is just one thing that I dislike in some of his moves that is just a little to unreal it is that when in one of his movies he has a wife and he doesn't as so much touch her come on  your telling me that a new wedded couple wouldn't even as so much as touch another isn't a lil' strange...Anyways I agree with you about ping that man is the king of fights he justs make you want to bow down and :D My favorite fight scene would have to be in Red Dragon I love all of the fight scenes except the cheese first one...Iron monkey totally rocked...I saw a movie that just so out there it was very Fantasy I don't know if anyone has heard of it is called storm riders it was kinda cool it had that whole fire ball thing and ice and a lot strange anime like things going on...I love the fight scene in MK with kang and subzero although that its not part of the topic but it was cool...The One was okay I wished it could have been better it was intersting watching jet lee fight against himself...you know I hated the Kiss of the Dragon movie he had like almost well what felt like 30mins of like everyone talking but jet he had like almost no lines and he was the main charater of the movie HELLO that wasn't leathal weapon Four but i guess the writer didn't get that part of the movie right... Put like always in all of jets movies the action fights rocked...

Cant really say, most the Kung-fu films I've seen are with my brother-in-law but I don't catch the names. I loved the weapons fight in Crouching tiger, with the restaurant fight a close second! The entire final match in Shaolin soccer is fantastic too, not all fighting but cool mystical kung-fu effects!

Saw some of that Warriors of Zu one but it was in Cantonese with no subs! :dissappointed:  There were some great effects tho, this guy with metallic wings that are all seperate blades and he can spin them round like a buzzsaw, very cool! I stopped watching it tho, wanted to wait till I could see a version when I knew what the hell was going on, who was everyone, what are they fighting over, etc.

hmm, cool Zu warriors is supposedly coming out here soon, I'll check it out.  As for Kiss of the Dragon, I enjoyed it.... but not for the reason I should have.  It was one of those "so bad it's good" movies for me.  I thought it was just absurd and funny, with a big black guy bursting in to fight jet li for no reason and stuff like that...  Hookers headbutting each other... priceless.  Not very good as a serious movie though, I'll agree.

• 7 years later...

wise fwom your gwave, thwead

been on a kung-fu flick thing lately, finally sat down & watched The Five Deadly Venoms, which was ten kinds of awesome. i forget how much fun these things are, like superhero movies done right - id post a review, but itd basically be "just watch it, the frog and scorpion are awesome." Looking forward to revisiting Master of the Flying Guillotine soon.

but yeah, this thread served also for "best fight scenes", so before we load it up with bits from Enter the Dragon, i thought id do some fun one-shot scenes, as theyre a somewhat recent trend that impresses the shit out of me.

First up is the most known one, from Oldboy, Park Chan-wook's seminal vengeance flick:

in that vein, a better one from Tony Jaa, which reminds me that i need to see Ong-Bak 2:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Twitch

The original team(star, writer, producer and director) from Ip Man are returning for IP Man 3D. They are looking for a young actor to portray Bruce Lee. It has a targeted release for 2013.

Donnie Yen is awesome, looks like i gotta get around to watching 2 now.

• 3 months later...

n89no.png

Kung-Fu wednesdays are off to a slow start, but my Gordon Liu fest was predictably awesome, as there's tons of Shaw brothers gold in here. wanted to try some others tonight, but i couldnt help but return to Shaolin vs Wu-Tang, shit's so classic.

ive seen a number of these (many as a kid with a friend who shared these, godzilla flicks & comics) but it's been so long, it's like rewatching most of em.

ps still got the Musashi trilogy on DVD, and another 20 GB folder of the complete Zatoichi!

Wow I didn't know we had a Kung-fu thread...

Let's see, have everything Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao, Gordon Liu (I think) and Jet Li have starred in. Like major roles and not just them playing "Thug #2." Just got the complete Zatoichi too! Even the new ones (not starring Shintaro Katsu). I remember me and Logans watching a newer Zatoichi film without subtitles once. The only thing that threw us off was the damned androgynous male trying to be a female whore. Never know if they were male or female or what. I also managed to get all of the Lone Wolf and Cub series, which I hadn't seen yet. I thought Shintaro starred in those but it turns out it was his brother (which explains the close resemblance).

What I did want to comment on is that it seems like Wu-Dang clan is the bitch clan they always beat up in the begining of the movie. I've seen countless films where Wu-Dang were sitting in some restaurant and in comes the badass of the film and he opens a can of whoop-ass on like 6 Wu-Dang members and they run off like little bitches. I know Wu-Tang couldn't have called themselves Shaolin Clan or anything like that, but why pick such a bitch clan to name yourself after?

Also just for arguments sake I would say Jet Li is probably the best all around martial arts star of all time. Jackie Chan and Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao are damn close and the more I see of Yuen Biao the more I like him and his style. Tony Jaa is another great. Ong-Bak is one of those movies i pretty much made everyone I know sit down and watch at some point in time (much like Salo) but it is such a fucking badass film. It is also good to see Donnie Yen finally getting some well deserved screen time. Though his reliance on Bruce Lee at first was somewhat discomforting (Bruce Lee was cool, but I just don't like his stuff as much as other stuff during the same time). Though it was pretty cool seeing a young bruce lee walk into Ip Man's studio at the end of Ip Man 1.

do you recommend Ong-Bak 2 and beyond though? cause ive wanted to check them out but haven't heard nearly as much good about em.

as for Wu: most of the 36 chambers quotes came from Shaolin vs Wu-Tang and a few others where they were a more respected school, though...RZA's book cites exactly which, but i''d guess it was largely that. god knows they've split between marvel characters (blaze, starkey love) and other shaw stuff from that era (Liquid Sword, Kid with the Golden Arms, Chess Boxing, 8 Diagram etc).

Baytor pretty much summed it up. 2 is ok with some good fighting. 3 I fell asleep during the first 30 min so I don't really know. My wife said the ending fight on 3 was good though. Jaa needs to stick to listening to what other people tell him to do and not trying to direct or do anything other than choreography and/or acting/fighting.

as for Wu: most of the 36 chambers quotes came from Shaolin vs Wu-Tang and a few others where they were a more respected school, though...RZA's book cites exactly which, but i''d guess it was largely that. god knows they've split between marvel characters (blaze, starkey love) and other shaw stuff from that era (Liquid Sword, Kid with the Golden Arms, Chess Boxing, 8 Diagram etc).

Yeah I am sure Wu-Tang has some movies where they are the badasses, I just thought it was funny that a lot of the movies I had watched had Wu-Tang (Wu-Dang) as the inept evil clan. I do need to find a dubbed version of Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang though. And I did hear a sample they use for one of their songs openings on an OLD Jackie Chan film.

Donnie Yen to film Ip Man 3 (Bruce Lee's story) in 3D

5311.jpgtumblr_m3sisqIJbZ1qig7bzo1_500.jpg

Due to the two extremely successful Ip Man <葉問 > movies, a third installment was frequently rumored to be in the works. It was announced yesterday that Donnie Yen (甄子丹) will return for Ip 3, which will focus on the story between Ip Man and his disciple, Bruce Lee. Ip 3 will be filmed in 3D format at the end of the year!

Feel the Power of Wing Chun in 3D!

In the beginning of 2012, producer Raymond Wong (黃百鳴) consulted with the original cast and crew of the Ip Man franchise on how to make the third movie more compelling. The production crew decided the answer would be 3D. This will give audiences a more thrilling experience and magnify the power of the Wing Chun martial arts style. Mr. Wong stated, “3D will add more dimension to the action scenes. Since the movie will be filmed in 3D format, the production costs will be higher than the first two Ip Man movies.”

Featuring Bruce Lee’s Story

Ip Man 3 will focus on the relationship between Ip Man and his most famous disciple, Bruce Lee. The scriptwriter for Ip Man 3 was Raymond Wong’s son, Edmond Wong (黄子桓). The story for Ip Man 3 was still being conceptualized, but Edmond revealed that it will follow a young Bruce Lee training under the grandmaster.

The actor to play Bruce Lee has not been determined yet. Edmond Wong said, “Perhaps, we may cast an overseas actor. Actors who have played Bruce Lee in past films were Aarif Lee (李治廷) and Danny Chan (陈国坤). However, they may be too old to play a 16-year-old Bruce Lee. We will have to wait for director Wilson Yip (叶伟信) to decide.” Edmond added that Ip Man will remain as the central character in the Ip Man 3.

Donnie Yen has already expressed interest in filming Ip Man 3. Donnie’s public relations representative, Ms. Cheung, stated, “Donnie anticipates working on the movie. He had preliminary discussions with Raymond Wong already. Since Donnie did not see the script yet, he is not clear on the details of the story.”

Since the script was currently under development, Raymond Wong indicated that it was not clear as to whether the movie will feature Ip Man in his old age. Ip Man 3 will start filming at the end of 2012

Author Notes - Jayne: Really looking forward to Ip Man 3 in 3D! I will pay the extra $5 to see it in 3D. Feel the power of Wing Chun! I hope they find a good actor to play Bruce Lee! Ip 3 may be the most promising among the trilogy!

There already is technically Ip Man 3. Unless they want to call it Ip Man -1 since it deals with the early years, but either way, don't care about 3D but all 3 of the Ip Man movies have been really good so far (even the one without Donnie Yen) so I am definately looking forward to this.

I saw another martial arts flick that was apparently made for 3D but I only saw a 2D version and you can tell when they are purposely doing something for a 3D effect and I gotta say it kinda takes away from the action a little. Still more Donne Yen is a good thing always, unless he starts making romantic drama's like Jet Li....ugg.