Hondo's Bar

Best John Hughes film

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Much tougher. It was actually a tie between The Breakfast Club, Planes Trains & Automobiles, Christmas Vacation, and Ferris Bueller. But since Ferris Bueller is my personal hero, I'll hafta go with that one.

"So he makes this flick, Sixteen Candles, right? It's ok, there's tits in it, but no bush. But Ebert over here don't give a shit about that sorta thing. Because he's like all in love with this John Hughes guy. Goes out and rents like every one of his movies. Fucking Breakfast Club, where all these stupid kids actually show up to detention. Fucking Weird Science, where this babe wants to take her gear off and get down, but oh no, she don't, because it's a PG movie. And then, Pretty in Pink, which I can't even watch with this tubby bitch, anymore. Because everytime it gets to the part where the red-head is about to hook up with her dream guy, he starts sobbing like a little bitch with a skinned knee and shit. And there's nuthin' worse than watching a fucking fat man weep."

• 7 years later...

Yup. I stand by my vote for Planes Trains and Automobiles. The best speech of Steve Martin's career:

You know everything is not an anecdote! You have to discriminate! You choose things that are funny or mildly amusing or interesting. You're a miracle! Your stories have NONE of that. They're not even amusing ACCIDENTALLY! "Honey, I'd like you to meet Del Griffith, he's got some amusing anecodotes for you. Oh and here's a gun so you can blow your brains out. You'll thank me for it." I could tolerate any insurance seminar. For days I could sit there and listen to them go on and on with a big smile on my face. They'd say, "How can you stand it?" I'd say, "'Cause I've been with Del Griffith. I can take ANYTHING." You know what they'd say? They'd say, "I know what you mean. The shower curtain ring guy. Woah." It's like going on a date with a Chatty Cathy doll. I expect you have a little string on your chest, you know, that I pull out and have to snap back. Except I wouldn't pull it out and snap it back - you would. Agh! Agh! Agh! Agh! And by the way, you know, when you're telling these little stories? Here's a good idea - have a POINT. It makes it SO much more interesting for the listener!

I voted Christmas Vacation but I zealously protest the lack of Dutch!

If we're counting writing credits, then I vote Beethoven's 1st-5th.

They kind of lose steam at 3rd, then 4th gets your attention, then 5th slams it home and wraps up the series in epic fashion.

C'est magnifique.

If we're counting writing credits, then I vote Beethoven's 1st-5th.

They kind of lose steam at 3rd, then 4th gets your attention, then 5th slams it home and wraps up the series in epic fashion.

C'est magnifique.

You were wearing your irony pants when you wrote that, right? Cuz that made about as much sense as baytor's criticisms of no Dutch. Seriously though, if you're counting writing credits you've got to include The Great Outdoors, Home Alone (and I'd say 2 & 3 as well but I lost my irony pants), Opportunity Knocks, and most importantly National Lampoon's Vacation.

i liked Dutch, but i thought this poll was for Hughes' work as a director? cause IMDB says he wrote it, but directed by Peter Faiman.

That's actually news to me, mostly because the DVD case is dense with his name. I guess Hughes is like Spielberg and plasters his name on movies that he only really produced, or wrote, or watched once in a drunken stupor.

Anybody who's seen STEPHEN SPIELBERG'S POLTERGEIST directed by Tobe Hooper knows what I'm talking about.

Some of that might be his ego, but at least most of that has to be the studio wanting to capitalize on the credibility his name lends to something. I mean, since he co-founded Dreamworks, technically he's a producer on every Dreamworks film, but he's not having his name plastered on most or any of those films.

Some of that might be his ego, but at least most of that has to be the studio wanting to capitalize on the credibility his name lends to something. I mean, since he co-founded Dreamworks, technically he's a producer on every Dreamworks film, but he's not having his name plastered on most or any of those films.

With the shit they're steadily grinding out can you blame him?

Man, the Haterade is strong with this one. What about Tropic Thunder? I seem to remember you liking that one. The issue isn't whether you like the films, it's whether Spielberg's name gets attached to the titles of project he's only mildly involved in because he's got a big ego and he's demanding his name be on it or because his name helps a movie out and OTHER people put his name on it. You said Spielberg "plasters his name on movies that he only really produced, or wrote, or watched once in a drunken stupor" and I'm saying it looks like it's not him that does it.

Man, the Haterade is strong with this one. What about Tropic Thunder? I seem to remember you liking that one. The issue isn't whether you like the films, it's whether Spielberg's name gets attached to the titles of project he's only mildly involved in because he's got a big ego and he's demanding his name be on it or because his name helps a movie out and OTHER people put his name on it. You said Spielberg "plasters his name on movies that he only really produced, or wrote, or watched once in a drunken stupor" and I'm saying it looks like it's not him that does it.

I thought we were talking about John Hughes still, in which case the films aping John Huges coming out of dreamworks have just been one long ropey turd of disappointment. And Spielberg did tack his name on Eagle Eye which was the cinematic equivalent of distilling Down's Syndrome into a syringe and injecting it directly into your eyeballs.

Edited by Iambaytor