Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy XII

The NZA

Final Fantasy fans still have a good bit of waiting to do, as the long-awaited twelfth entry in the series won't land on US PlayStation 2s until October 31st, 2006.

Square's release announcement also mentions that the company will be selling limited-edition games through GameStop and EBGames: the Final Fantasy XII Collector's Edition will include special packaging, a DVD containing promo trailers for both the Japanese and American releases, developer interviews, art galleries, and "featurettes focusing on highlights of the FINAL FANTASY franchise."

Pre-order this now. Final Fantasy XII Exclusive Collector's Edition

I may actually pre-order this mainly because even though I am hating on Square lately, I respect the hell out of the minds behind this one. This may end up being the last great FF now that Sakaguchi is gone, the Tactics/Vagrant Story guys (the ones whose names escape me currently) have dipped, and the series is now firmly in the hands of Nomura.

Edit:On second thought, I'd preorder the hell out of this one, like NOW. Especially considering how hard these things have been to come by lately (MGS3: Subsistance Collector's edition).

Edited by bishopcruz

Yeah, i think i finally have a copy of disc 3 (existence) but i gotta test it out soon.

Thanks to NT, i have the FF XII demo, fighting engine's somethin new, im hopin for a lot from this one...i seem to be one of the only ones who dug X, but i didnt even touch XI.

I thought X was pretty sweet, except for the ridiculous minigames you had to go through.

Tidus: Give me my goddamn weapon, you Chocobo racing fucktard.

Chocobo guy: Nope. You need to get a time of 0:00.

Tidus: I could kill you you know.

Chocobo guy: I'd be scared if you didn't look like Meg Ryan.

Edited by bishopcruz

I was like halfway through when i noticed that, i remember flying in the ariship going "holy shit, where's the overworld part of this game?" that was really odd. didnt bother me as much as the weapon ssytem of part VIII, but yeah, it was a shame.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

B000F5IH2I.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40084861_.jpg

Anyone else keeping up with this? Reviews are heralding it as the series' return to greatness. Im hyped now.

100 Weekly Famitsu

10 / 10 / 10 / 10 - 40 [platinum ; Mar 2006]

100P lay Magazine

The scale of FFXII is so grand, so overwhelming, so vast, that comparisons to other video games--a proper review, in other words--borders on the impossible. [Jun 2006, p.69]

100 Official U.S. Playstation Magazine

Either way, Final Fantasy XII is a fitting send-off for the series on the PS2, and it justifiably has a chance to proclaim itself the best Final Fantasy on the Playstation. [Nov. 2006, p.106]

95 PSM Magazine

Even without any special incentives to replay through it once it's over, Final Fantasy XII offers a beautiful, well written, fun RPG experience that is both long and rewarding. Matsuno's team took some real chances with the gameplay this time around, but the results are pleasantly surprising. [Oct 2006, p.56]

95 1UP

From beginning to end, this is the most complex Final Fantasy game yet, and it's just as evident in its plot as in its mechanics.

95 IGN

A fantastic RPG. It blows all of its PS2 competition this year right out of the water and is among the all time elite role-players ever made for the system. "Kingdom Hearts," "Devil Summoner," "Xenosaga III," "Tales of the Abyss"... none of them are on the same level as Square Enix's bold and riveting move in a new direction.

...and so on. Shit, i shoulda spent more time on the demo! Ah well, here's to Square finally getting it right after a few near misses. This thing is sounding great.

This game is AWESOME! Other than being slow as shit to start off with combat wise, once you get some party members the gameplay is great. Not only that but the characters are great and believe it or not the acting is actually GOOD.

Baltheir may also be my new choice for coolest FF character.

Just started this game (to Nick's utter annoyance) and IT'S GREEEEEEEEEAT! I'm sssoooo addicted to it... which is a bad thing considering that I have to write two research papers due in two-three weeks... and I have no material prepared.

Damn you awesome square enix game creators!!!!

Questions for my fellow FFXII gamers

1) Does the character attack on his own? I ask because sometimes I don't press the action button and he attacks anyway...

2) Is blocking a foe's attack during battle random? If it's not random is there a specific moment when I can press the action button and he'll block the attack?

Points at Nick HA-HA :fuming:

1) Does the character attack on his own? I ask because sometimes I don't press the action button and he attacks anyway...

I can only think of 2 things

1. You have the gambits turned on which would make your character attack on his own

or

2. After you do press the action button your character will keep attacking till the target is dead.

Is blocking a foe's attack during battle random? If it's not random is there a specific moment when I can press the action button and he'll block the attack?

It's random but the odds of you blocking more will happen if you unlock it on the License board.

And now on what NOT TO DO.

Don't just attack anything that moves. Some monsters are real high level mixed in with some low level monsters. They can an will kick your ass.

Try to unlock the quicking moves as soon as you can in the board. It will come in real handy when you face a boss.

and if your fighting out in the desert an a sandstorm starts up I telling you to run like hell back to the city.

Yeah I just beat that Thextra wolfe monster, which wasn't too bad... but I berely made it out alive, BUT as soon as I tried to head back to the city HUGE EAGLE LOOKING MONSTERS MURDERED ME!

This game's awesome.

As for you Nick, You'll be all into the game during break when I'm busting my ass at VS or the post office. SO let me enjoy this! :ok:

Yeah I just beat that Thextra wolfe monster, which wasn't too bad... but I berely made it out alive, BUT as soon as I tried to head back to the city HUGE EAGLE LOOKING MONSTERS MURDERED ME!

This game's awesome.

As for you Nick, You'll be all into the game during break when I'm busting my ass at VS or the post office. SO let me enjoy this! :ok: