Hondo's Bar

Final Fantasy XII

The NZA

I haven't gotten there yet!!! :ok:

But i did see the demo and it does look amazing. can't wait!

haha I haven't even started playing... I've been avidly watching CJ the entire time. That's kind of like playing it, only he's super awesome and shit.

...I can't wait for you guys to meet him in Febs!

• 2 months later...

anyone complaining is either a) not an RPG fan or b) hasnt played this yet.

Im only lvl 20, like 20 hours or less in, but the characters are great, there's no real tag-alongs so far (penelope or whoever she is aside), the plot's exciting, and the battle system is a huge breath of fresh air - props to the FF series for once again giving me a system that i hope others mimic. They havent done that since wha, the creation of Active Time Battle?

Gambits add strategy and can make the game moove easier for you, while the license board adds a new dimension that doesnt annoy me nearly as much as it sounded it would.

So, 2 major series flaws (for me) cleared up:

1) I liked FF X a lot, but when it came to my party? There was meg ryan, Auron, and whoever, i didnt really care. I think i went with Lulu for her rack, but didnt care about much anybody else.

Now, its Vaan, Baksh or whoever and Ashe something. I love Balthier and wish he could fit in there too, and even Fran's cool, not just for eye candy value or the fact she sounds to me a little like Bjork. Point is, theyre all more or less interesting enough to want around as well.

2) Random battles can fuck themselves, instead, i find myself actually dungeon crawling and hunting beasts cause i want the license points and dont mind the battling. Set your gambits right, get a strategy, put the battle speed to max and it just flows, no loading screens - we fight right here, goddammit! i love this.

Toss in great plot so far (please dont fall apart at the end...) and excellent voice acting, and im extremely impressed. we'll see if this one takes my # 2 spot after VI or so by its end.

Im just amazed, looking at the guides at gamefaqs.com, how many variables and actual strategie there are on this one - weapons are totally different by class, and have way more to do with things beyond just the stats they boost, all kinds of things come into play, even environmental factors. Taking on hunts and clan work is cool too, its like they took all the ideas that'd grown stale or were just mediocre and made them work for me. This has FF Tactics and Vagrant Story written all over it, from the moment you realize its in Ivalice. I gotta follow this creator's future works now.

oh, and for those wondering what the japanese FF XII PS2 system looks like:

060106_scph75000ff.jpg

Anyway, im playing it simultaneously as Sen, and its just awesome.

It better be cause I haven't been impressed with any Final Fantasy since 6. I mean yeah I liked all of them (minus 11, I will not pay $15 a month to kill rabbits for 3 months before moving on to slightly more powerful rabbits. I play Final Fantasy for the interesting stories and characters, not for the mostly average MMORPG gameplay) but none have really matched the sheer enjoyment I got from 6 and I feel that 7 is the most overrated game in the series with 10 coming in close second.

i agree mostly across the board, only, i seem to be one of the few in my circle of freinds who dug FF X. VII was great for what it was, but im with you in it being overrated.

Its just that, i wasnt even that hyped over thsi one anymore, as id kinda grown bored/weary of the FF series and didnt even bother with X2 or XI, for the same reason as you on the latter. When i got tired of Shin Megami kicking my ass, i finally gave this one a go, and havent put it down since.

reading the guides again...there's a lot of math, if youre one of those crazy stat-buildng whores that longs to be level 99, something i havent one since FF IV myself. But going through it is cool, its just...prepare to get housed once in a while, and save a lot. If you dont have the libra spell on alla time (lets you see enemy stats before you start some shit) youll think your party's doing well and some elemental fuck with destroy you with the quickness.

the game adds long overdue featuers, like...when your squad dies? If youve got all 6 or so characters, you can now pull up the reserves and try to save face win, or run like hell. Its not game over till everyone's dead. But you can still get housed, i assure you.

Soundtrack coulda been better, but...again, they improved a lotta boring shit and seem to have jacked some of the features from FF XI to make it look more onlne or something, but it works. The treasures are even random, so you only need a guide for bosses slaughtering you, or, say, tactical ideas.

I made a major bonehead mistake early on going going after the T-rex and some enemys later on (RE: just about all of them) really fucked me over hard.

P.S You better learn the quicking real fast cause your going to need it and DON'T USE THE ELIXIRS EARLY ON CAUSE YOU CAN'T BUY THAT SHIT.

Good advice. Wish idve known which treatures not to open to get the Zodiac Spear, ah well. I just started learning quickenings recently but it looks like i gotta get to work on them.

Id like to add WHEN YOU SEE GLOWING ORBS OF DIFFERENT COLORS, HOLY CHRIST RUN MOTHERFUCKER RUN THEY WILL HIT YOU SO HARD YOUR ANCESTORS FEEL IT damn you elementals, i shouldnt get that nervous in an RPG. ill figure out how to beat you 14,000 HP having fucks yet.

Good advice. Wish idve known which treatures not to open to get the Zodiac Spear, ah well. I just started learning quickenings recently but it looks like i gotta get to work on them.

Id like to add WHEN YOU SEE GLOWING ORBS OF DIFFERENT COLORS, HOLY CHRIST RUN MOTHERFUCKER RUN THEY WILL HIT YOU SO HARD YOUR ANCESTORS FEEL IT damn you elementals, i shouldnt get that nervous in an RPG. ill figure out how to beat you 14,000 HP having fucks yet.

You do know THAT IF YOU DON'T ATTACK THEM OR CAST MAGIC WHEN THEY'RE NEARBY THEN WON'T ATTACK YOU. :ohface:

Bonus Time: If you have more 2 or more people fighting that have quicking you can chain them together for a monster attack. (Just make sure everybodys magic bar is full.)

Yeah, i figured that out about them. Where you able to kill them later on, though? i just hate the fact that i always gotta run from them, one's blocking me from completing a hunt. i guess ill just havta wait till it stops raining, but can you ever beat them, and how?

i gotta go read a guide on how the quickenings work. why can i never use them? youre saying i need full MP or wha?

That Zodiac Spear thing was some horseshit. That was one of the few things that annoyed the hell out of me with this game, it was the fact that there was absolutely NO way that you are going to figure that one out on your own, I mean it's a series of random chests all over the world that you can't open. No visual cues or anything!

Overall this game friggen rocks thoogh. Gotta go back and do some of the hunts I never did, I'm nearly 80 hours in and there was still a ton of stuff to do (optional stuff), tons of espers to get, and other shit.

I'm so addicted to this game right it's so sad... I don't want to share gaming time, not even with Nick!

I'm nearly 80 hours in and there was still a ton of stuff to do (optional stuff), tons of espers to get, and other shit.

I'm at level 29-30 and almost 50 hrs into the game AND I think I'm only half way done. I spend a ton of time doing hunts, side quests, and leveling up. There's just so much to do and see, I loose track of time. Sometimes though I get bored of running back and forth especially when I can kill the monsters in that area with 1-2 slashes, but usually the outcome is good (a weapon, good armor, etc.).

I just finished the Mines in Galmore Jungle (after visiting the Viera village)... I think I need a new strategy with my gambits and all... I'm high leveled for some areas but man, some hunts and bosses can kick my ass... Esuna is veeeeery important.

Anyone have any decent strategies they'd like to share? For instance, magicks or techicks that work well all through out the game?