Hondo's Bar

Matrix Reloaded

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sayin'!

I think it's fair to say The Matrix is our generation's Star Wars, but The Matrix Trilogy is not our generation's Star Wars Trilogy. I remember when The Matrix came out (I saw it opening weekend), I was trying to convince my older brother than he had to go see it. He was not interested because it was his estimation that Keanu Reeves is an awful actor. He asked if he was any good in The Matrix, and I told him "No, he's not, but it's like Mark Hamill's shitty acting in Star Wars. The movie's so good it transcends shitty acting." He was compelled enough by this point to go see it, and eventually agreed with my assessment.

Considering it made like, thirty-twelve hundred eleventy bajillion dollars, alot of folks younger than us feel James Cameron's Avatar is the new Star Wars. Cameron had planned sequels years before the flick came out, and they're set to be released December 2014 and 2015, shot back-to-back. The first sequel will explore Pandora's oceans, for which Cameron has commissioned a submarine to shoot footage in the Mariana Trench (the deepest part of any of Earth's oceans). The sequels would follow the same characters, with humans being the antagonists again. If he captures the public's imagination again with these sequels, I'm thinking alot of people will look at this as the new Star Wars.

...oh, this should be good.

so what pray tell is this gen's star wars, sir?

star wars is this generation's star wars, you dolt. the original trilogy still stands. within the last 15 years star wars (episodes 4-6) have been released in theaters on dvd and soon blu-ray. the merchandise still sells. and i bet you a night in a cave w/ a pack of dickwolves that the number of kids that can identify a star wars original trilogy character outnumbers the kids that could identify characters from LOTR, MATRIX and whatever other pretender tot he throne you want to toss out next combined.

'nuff said.

2moxt0m.jpg

star wars is 30+ years old now. the matrix is 10 years old or so, yeah? i tell you what, hondo's: 10 years from now, if im bypassing quality sci-fi and talking about how its not the matrix, i hope someone uses this image on me, and i hope i appreciate it.

my only real mistake was not using Disco Stu with his graph extrapolating the inevitable resurgence of disco.

don't get me wrong, i quietly sympathize, man; MJ's gone, and one day - prolly not even far off - there will be a viable contender for the throne of pop music. and i'm going to sound just like you when that claim comes up, and it's going to be just as out-of-touch when i say it.

Wrote it? They were tracers, man! Moore was the artist and they just traced inked that bitch. :2T:

Alan Moore did not write that piece of shit, it should have been called "LD For Liberal Douchebagery"

...oh, this should be good.

so what pray tell is this gen's star wars, sir? the prequels or LOTR? i would like to preemptively scoff at both these answers.

I agree, LOTR is so far out of Star Wars league it's ridiculous.

Saying LOTR is this generations Star Wars is like saying The Dark Knight is this generations Batman Forever.

2moxt0m.jpg

star wars is 30+ years old now. the matrix is 10 years old or so, yeah? i tell you what, hondo's: 10 years from now, if im bypassing quality sci-fi and talking about how its not the matrix, i hope someone uses this image on me, and i hope i appreciate it.

Funnies

What can I say, Nick. ASC has a natural bias. You've spent time w/ him and know he realtes more to tiny, hairy footed dudes on one wild and crazy road trip through Middle Earth than he can the greatest filmed epic sic-fi fantasy ever. And after spending a week in a car w/ him through Ireland I can understand why.

LOTR is a spectacle and an achievement to behold, but at the end of the day, they are just not any fun. The original SW trilogy is fun. And it's got charm. LOTR is like a dry brilliant professor with no charisma. Like Gore Vidal, or William Buckley, or Noam Chomsky. You might listen because you want to hear what they have to say, but it's a chore to stay focused. Now Star Wars, I have seen dozens of times, and any given day I'm up for watching it again. With LOTR, I'm glad I watched them the two or three times (each) that I did, but I'd have to be trying to get laid to watch them again.

I'd disagree entirely...

LOTR is in no way a chore with me, whereas Star Wars to me looks and feels dated, and I've never really gotten the wankery over it.

With LOTR there is bags of character to it, so many rousing plotlines going on (no matter how gay they appear) and a good amount of comedic elments to it too. I've watched the trilogy in its entirity about 10+ times at this stage, and am still blown away by it.

Having spent a little bit of time w/ ASC and DOJ both, I know how to end this quickly. I'll just move this conversation to a roadside and ask them to change a flat tire. That should keep them moth preoccupied until the Rapture.

So many reasons SW beats out LOTR cinematically.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=b0sc-gS9AqM

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

LOTR is a chore, no doubt.

for one, my personal bias has to deal with years of it/its formula being ripped off. the first one i dug, the 2nd one meandered for me (and the company i saw it with sucked), third one would not fucking end and really reinforced the whole stereotype that this epic is dragging its nuts about.

its possible ill watch it again one day, closer in succession, and enjoy it more, but the end there really left a bad taste in my mouth, like i did not care for these characters' plight at that point.

matrix 1 > kill bill 1 & 2 > LOTR/SW prequels

Lord of the Rings and Star Wars are similar in that they are trilogies about people doing stuff, the similarities and comparisons end there. Star Wars is a psuedo-Western Samurai film that borrows elements from everything from comic books and movie serials to kung fu cinema and Spaghetti westerns, somewhere along the way George Lucas got caught up in merchandising and we got some Vietnamese teddy bears and a ridiculously upbeat ending that adds a new ghost every time George Lucas makes a new movie. Lord of the Rings is a psuedo-political epic having to deal with medieval politics and some ham-handed social commentary about industrialization which I'm not sure even Tolkien understood. However it's an epic like Beowulf or the story of Gilgamesh, it's not meant to be light and flaky and go down with a large coke and some pop secret, it's a sprawling story with its own share of fun moments but on the whole you don't sit down to watch the Lord of the Rings for the same reason you sit down to watch Star Wars.

It's like comparing Schindler's List and Kelly's Heroes, there's Nazis in both but what kinda fucking idiot pits them against each other?

DOJ, you also managed to masterfully smoke about three cigarettes in that time. So, you had that goin' for ya as well. :2T:

. . .It's like comparing Schindler's List and Kelly's Heroes, there's Nazis in both but what kinda fucking idiot pits them against each other?

Dude, don't you know where you're at. This.Is. Sparta! Hondo's! ;)