Hondo's Bar

Working Out With Duads, Hondo's Personal Trainer

Electric Duadoman

Dear Duads

I've been training with dumbells and for about a month or two and I've built up some considerable tone on my arms. Now I want to work on some of the trickier areas, the chest and lower abs. What are the best ways to work these areas from home using minimal equipment (I'll maybe consider getting a push up bar, but right now something like a cross trainer is out of the question, as is gym membership.)

I like the look of incline chest press ups and the like but without the right equipment I can manage to do about five before I start to feel it in my back, and I just don't want to risk that.

What, is everone holding out for pics? Beach season is almost over and I need help.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you. Well, i say, lift heavy things, until your back starts to hurt. then, lift them with your back (not your legs!) to strengthen it; lesser men will say you've "pulled/strained" something, but that's nonsense, hows your back gonna get better if discs keep slipping out? Youve got to beat them back in....with dumbells!

Thank you.  Well, i say, lift heavy things, until your back starts to hurt.  then, lift them with your back (not your legs!) to strengthen it; lesser men will say you've "pulled/strained" something, but that's nonsense, hows your back gonna get better if discs keep slipping out?  Youve got to beat them back in....with dumbells!

Cool, I'll start that tomorrow, day after that, Physio!

Basically, im up mad late, so when i wake, im guessin ill have a shake (jax said one scoop per one cup of water or milk), banana, some oatmeal etc - i think you said to combine them somehow? - relax a bit, then about 10-15 minutes hitting the boxing bag to warm-up. 

The afternoon/evening is all academy, we eat a lot of grain bars, plus i bring a tuna sammich.  I get home, have a dinner (some meat, brown rice, some veggies), then later that night, assumin i have the energy, i do strength training (carefully so i dont strain shit), and end the night off with another shake, which jax says should be 2 scoops at that point.

What do you think?  I wrote down your #'s for proteins and carbs, ill try to check it against this plan.

Lets see, for one your simply not getting enough protein. With one scoop in the morning, 2 at night, meat for dinner, and the tuna sandwich, you're looking at about 140-150 grams of protein, which is what I recommend to my chick clients. I'd say double up the tuna sanwich and add a scoop to your morning shake to get you up to at least 200 grams. I don't remember the exact numbers I gave you, but your daily intake of carbs seems a lil low too. Make sure you eat enough gain bars to add up to 100 grams of carbs. For breakfast, buy a big shaker and the big tub of quaker whole grain oats, put 10 oz. of milk (milk is for babies), 2 scoops of protein, and 3 of the protein scoops of oatmeal, shake it up real good and enjoy.

- :misty:

Dear Duads

I've been training with dumbells and for about a month or two and I've built up some considerable tone on my arms. Now I want to work on some of the trickier areas, the chest and lower abs. What are the best ways to work these areas from home using minimal equipment (I'll maybe consider getting a push up bar, but right now something like a cross trainer is out of the question, as is gym membership.)

I like the look of incline chest press ups and the like but without the right equipment I can manage to do about five before I start to feel it in my back, and I just don't want to risk that.

To work your chest with minimal equipment, old fashioned push ups will do the trick. You want to do your regular flat push up, then incline push up and decline push up. Incline push ups are push ups in which your feet are elevate 1-2 feet higher than your arms, and decline is the opposite. I could give you a list of exercises for abs, but they wouldnt help to much, the best way to get abs is diet.

- :misty:

I hate running, so I'm opting to ride my bike, but I don't think riding bike can equate to running. Is riding a bike effective at all?

Since Duads hasn't answered this I thought I'd help you out.

Here's an excerpt from the Govanator's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding

Activity Calories Burned Per Hour

Walking (3.5 mph) 336-420

Calisthenics 300-360

Swimming(basics) 360

Cycling (10 mph) 360-420

Jogging (5 mph) 600

Running (7.5 mph) 900

These figures will vary depending on a person's body weight and body composition, but this is a good general guideline. If you up your intensity in cycling by going faster you will burn more calories per hour. If you wanted to walk and up your intensity to burn more calories I have read that wearing a backpack with added weight will increase the intensity and therefore the amount of calories expended in the amount of time you walk.

I hope that helps you out.

I hate running, so I'm opting to ride my bike, but I don't think riding bike can equate to running. Is riding a bike effective at all?

I've been riding a bike lately too, as opposed to running. It's not so much that I hate running as it is that I'm afraid to go for a run in my ghetto-ass neighborhood. Last time I tried it, I ended up being propositioned by a homeless crack addict. Not fun.

I've been riding a bike lately too, as opposed to running.  It's not so much that I hate running as it is that I'm afraid to go for a run in my ghetto-ass neighborhood.  Last time I tried it, I ended up being propositioned by a homeless crack addict.  Not fun.

I can just imagine you earning enough cycling skill points for you to be able to bunny hop cars. Just like I did, except in the real world and your life on the line.

To work your chest with minimal equipment, old fashioned push ups will do the trick. You want to do your regular flat push up, then incline push up and decline push up. Incline push ups are push ups in which your feet are elevate 1-2 feet higher than your arms, and decline is the opposite. I could give you a list of exercises for abs, but they wouldnt help to much, the best way to get abs is diet.

Aw no, not dieting, that word is like kryptonite to me.

• 1 month later...

Hmm...thats why i stopped doing deadlifts.

Thing is, ive gained some weight (not much), and after academy, ima try Duads' diet plan of mad carbs & proteins, cause im lifting more & more but not really bulidng. The reason i looked up the plyometrics is that while im stronger, i feel im not as fast as i was in boxing, and would like to get that back...there's a gym in kendall that spars, and FIU's got some small gig going again, gotta look into both of them.

• 1 year later...

Not really with Duado Man, but at least i'm looking to get in shape.......

Alright so. I've been getting too comfortable with Nick cuz i've gain waaaaaaaaaaaay too much weight, more than i ever have in a short period of time! :blink:

Starting this week:

No more junk food.

More gym hours maybe jogging before dinner,

Try Janet's crazy diet/workout.

Hopefully nothing crazy happens this week and doesn't screw up my sleeping habbits either...

:love:

Yeah, sleeping habits are huge, and dont forget the part about 20-30 mins cardio before breakfast, to keep your metabolism going all day and such.

Im doing something similar, so ill try to encourage you - we got the danger room, pool, tennis courts, gym right there and even a park out back to run in, so its a good idea.

• 2 years later...

^_^ alright duads, here's the score, man.

good buddy of mine that originally taught me how to workout in college just got out the navy, and we were going over my diet & such and, while im eating healthy, im doing more protein than carbs, which when coupled with my cardio explains why im not exactly gaining past 160-165 lbs. He suggested a few products im gonna try out; for one, a weight gainer (fire guys pushed nitro tech hardcore, thinking of giving that a run to replace 3 of my 6 daily meals, as it says), he also advocated syntha-6 as a protein, said it was a 24 hour one or so and might also help as a supplement, i think he even said he'd take it during his actual workout. also, he said a glutamine would help, didnt specify any in particular, so im going with a cheap one, natch. Hoping to order some of this tonight, wanted to see what you thought.

anyway, here's a (crappy) scan of my current workout, you gave it to me a few months back at this point:

1230069239.jpg

ive been pretty consistent about doing it 3x a week, few weeks only 2x when my work schedule was crazy. i tend to superset most things on there, even the ones that didnt say to do so (like, the first workout A, id do leg press and split squats superset). the only part id kinda skip were side squats or whatever, didnt feel i had the form down comfortably. also, the core shit at the end of each one - the planks, the situps/bridges etc i was less consistent, i typically dont do them at the gym, but id try to go running a few hours later that night and do them then (i tend to run about 1 mile, then stop to do push-ups/situps/whatever you had on my schedule, and keep running, for a total of 3 miles).

Its definitely working; im getting stronger, and when ive actually gotten proper sleep, shit at work like lifting patients or heavy equipment has gotten easier. im just not gaining much mass but again, that's my diet more than anything else. all the leg/shoulder/etc shit has been having its affect, the only thing id like to add in there personally is something more for bicep/forearm, since working at a station down south has had me humping hose and holding/operating a 3" line is really tiring, id like to make that easier. to that end, when i get to Workout C lately, at the end, instead of Rope Curls, im doing the curling bar again with more weight, since the rope curls werent leaving me sore much.

what do you think, stick with this regiment or what should be changed? lemme know man, i know i owe you a fortune for this shit when i get hired to metro-dade next year.

:pumppump: alright duads, here's the score, man.

good buddy of mine that originally taught me how to workout in college just got out the navy, and we were going over my diet & such and, while im eating healthy, im doing more protein than carbs, which when coupled with my cardio explains why im not exactly gaining past 160-165 lbs. He suggested a few products im gonna try out; for one, a weight gainer (fire guys pushed nitro tech hardcore, thinking of giving that a run to replace 3 of my 6 daily meals, as it says), he also advocated syntha-6 as a protein, said it was a 24 hour one or so and might also help as a supplement, i think he even said he'd take it during his actual workout. also, he said a glutamine would help, didnt specify any in particular, so im going with a cheap one, natch. Hoping to order some of this tonight, wanted to see what you thought.

MuscleTech, the company that makes Nitro Tech Hardcore, spends more money on advertising and marketing than any other supplement company in the business. Just open up any muscle magazine and you will see for yourself. They tend to pass that cost onto their customers and I was just reading the label, which doesn't seem to have anything that should justify the cost. If you do waste your money on this uber-expensive powder, one of the cheaper places to buy it is bodybuilding.com: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/mt/tech.html

If you'd like me to go ingredient by ingredient and explain why it is not worth it, I can do that.

As for the syntha-6, if I had to wager I'd say that the main slow digesting protein is casein, otherwise known as milk protein minus the whey. Casein does digest quite slowly, but you could just drink some organic milk and avoid the testosterone reducing hormones in the protein powder.

If you are going to spend money and dietary supplements, buy something that helps your body naturally boost your free testosterone levels. If your an American male (or any other industrialized nation man for that matter), your T is drastically lower than it should be anyway. According to many researchers, the average American male's free testosterone is half of what it would have been fifty years ago. This is documented quite superbly in Dr. Leonard Sax's book, Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men. http://www.amazon.com/Boys-Adrift-Epidemic...8791&sr=8-1

It's definitely worth reading and you can check it out for free at the library (they have several copies at different branches that you can easily request if a copy isn't in your local branch).

If you want to take a supplement that boosts your test levels naturally with few to no side affects, take stinging nettle extract that is standardized to contain 95% 3,4-divanillyltetrahydrofuran. This product works pretty well supposedly (I've never taken the stuff since I'm just concerned with my health and not bulking up, although I have read about 'divanil'), but there are many more products that have this as the main ingredient but add other substances to justify a higher price: http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/nutrapl...0-capsules.html

There are many other things you could do as far as diet and avoiding certain products that could help as well.

I hope that helps.

ah...shit, that's a lot of info. cool.

ok, yeah, i mean im not married to that nitro tech one necessarily, its just a weight gainer with shit im sure others have. i checked bodybuilding.com first, but found it 4 lbs for $50. if there's something comparable for cheaper, by all means, suggest away.

yeah, my buddy was pushing the Casein stuff too. like i said, he was on about how i needed to eat every 3 hours, hungry or not, if i wanted to gain mass while keeping up my cardio regime & having the metabolism i do, so it sounded like breakfast (usually oatmeal, protein shake, banana etc), weight gainer shake 3 hours later, lunch, weight gainer, gym (i guess protein there?), wg afterwards, dinner or so. he said the glutamine could just be tossed onto whatever, if i understood it right. i read the shit might upset my stomach if i have too much, not much else on it though.

didnt know all that about testostorone levels; i dont know if its my regiment, the oxidizer thing before the gym, or just general motivation, but i feel like i got plenty of energy so long as i sleep right, and uh, get laid, also an important part of any workout plan i figure. should that really be a concern? im just hoping to do this shit to get up to 175 or so with 12% body fat or less and then switch to a maintenance regime. thoughts?

Archived