Hondo's Bar

Working Out With Duads, Hondo's Personal Trainer

Electric Duadoman

I'm not the biggest fan of supplements, I feel you can get everything you need just by eating right (in your case, a shit load of calories). I was talking to my supplement guru about the stinging nettle extract, and it would be beneficial for your goals of size and strength. It's a mild product thats good if purchased from the right company (i.e. Divanill). The problem with supplements is while its possible to see good, sometimes great, results, its hard to maintain those results when you stop taking the supplements. Also, these products aren't evaulated by the FDA, so you don't really know what your getting. Also with the big name companies, they tend to list their ingredients in blends, so you don't know how much of any specific ingredient is in the product.

You have to really look at your goals and ask yourself what's more important, gaining mass, or gaining strength while maintaining agility and endurance. The predicament you find yourself in is that you want to put on on weight while burning tons of calories. It's pretty tough. You find this all the time at the gym with people wanting to burn fat and put on muscle at the same time. I say if your're getting stronger, your able to run longer, faster, don't worry about the putting on weight so much. It's that old bodybuilder mentality, but remember you're not training for a bodybuilding competition.

In the meantime, I will be looking at your program to help you make the right progression. :pumppump:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i get what you're saying. i gained some weight in college on creatine and lost most all of it when i stopped, shit was prolly waterweight far as i could tell. i hear its not as bad about that these days, but im still not looking to get on int. the weight gainer, like you said, its a lot of sugars and shit but the truth is im not taking in nearly enough carbs & such during the 3 meals im eating a day. again, theyre very healthy ones - no fast food, very little sodium and bullshit, and im feeling great - but you can see where my cardio regime + metabolism has left me kinda capping off around 165 tops.

and you know my goals here, too - its not a bodybuilder look im going for, or id be doing the look good naked/patentend mike rio "get swol for the bitches" workout, heh. i just cant stress enough, when im wearing nearly 50 pounds of gear and holding a 3" hoseline (trust me when i say that thing kicks), i cant help but think 10 lbs more of lean mass would make my life easier, and i know its true cause im already handling better than i did in my first academy at 150.

ok, so ill go look up this stinging nettle thing. right now, you know im just on an oxidizer before working out and whey, like i said im thinking of trying out that syntha-6 shit since i found a deal on it to see if i note a difference. i really am thinking of the weight gainer though, so if there's some other brand/type you think'd be more ideal, im all ears (is that what the nettle was for?), and again, i was thinking of a ludamine cause its cheap and you said it wouldnt hurt, but lemme know before i go buying shit cause im hoping to order things tonight.

nothin'. nothin'! you ain't scarin' nothin!

If you get a good deal on the Syntha-6, I'd say go for it. It's pretty popular and you can expect at the very least the same results you'd get with regualr whey. The Casein will be extra beneficial when taken before you go to sleep. As far as the weightgainer, make sure you look at the cholesterol and sugar. You don't want massive amounts of either. The stinging nettle extract is basically for you to boost the Testosterone in your system, which will help you gain Lean Mass (Why not just take the Juice?). L-Glutamine is a great buy as well.

ok, ill look for cholesterol & sugar then. how much is too much?

ah ok, nettle it is. wait, what juice? did you just tell me to do steroids, sir? i thought winners didnt do drugs?! :pumppump:

alright cool, ill be back from the gym later, try to pick up some shit then. i really wanna get started before the new year.

ok, ill look for cholesterol & sugar then. how much is too much?

ah ok, nettle it is. wait, what juice? did you just tell me to do steroids, sir? i thought winners didnt do drugs?! :eh:

alright cool, ill be back from the gym later, try to pick up some shit then. i really wanna get started before the new year.

The stinging nettle extract is not synthetic testosterone or a pro-hormone (testosterone precursor). The extract works by binding to sex hormone-binding globulin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_hormone_binding_globulin), which allows the testosterone in your body already that you produced naturally that would be bound to SHBG to now become free testosterone. It is my understanding that this does not cause the kind of rebound affects that steroids always cause. That's why people that use a cycle of juice usually take Novadex (spelling?) or Clomid to restart their natural production.

As far as weight gainers are concerned, why not just drink 16oz of whole organic milk with a scoop of whey protein (whey protein without rBGH would be even better). That will give you 16 grams of caesin and 25 grams of whey. Also, you would be consuming 300 calories from the milk, roughly 120 from the whey (depending on your brand and the scoop size), and 150 extra if you add chocolate syrup. That's over 500 calories. Do that two or three times a day and I'm sure you will notice a difference in your weight. After all, milk was designed by mother nature to cause growth.

I have a lot more to say, but I'm not sure if I am suppose to be replying in Duad's thread. Is it okay if I keep going or should I send the rest direct message, or better yet just stop talking altogether?

nah, its duads' thread, but im open to whatever.

the quick answer to your suggestion (which isnt bad, sounded more natural and all): im growing lactose intolerant these days. i mix all my shit with water, supplement wise. i know what duads was saying about keeping shit natural - again, i just want to get to such a weight, then drop off & maintain - but im also thinking that i was 150, did some weight gainer (unfortunately went up to 170 but with like 22% fat ), and then shed back down, to where my body seems to want to stay around 160. im just thinking of doing this one more time, but maintaining my cardio still along the way. im really hoping to get to the mid 170s or so and just get my body used to that on the current diet im on, or at least with nothing more than what i normally do (an oxidizer and whey). plus, working 2 jobs means the idea of tossing some shit into a shake & taking it with me sounds easier. but by all means, any weaknesses in that plan or better ideas, im all ears man.

before i go picking shit up tonight, duads was saying i could look at the daily allowance of sugars/cholesterol to make sure im not beating my liver/etc up too much along the way, but again, i really just want to do a cycle of this shit for a few months, get where i want and drop off of most of it, and now that ive got a solid workout going it seemed the right time. id had it in my head that id just wait till i was hired back on, but by then most other firefighters just push the idea of juice and im not keen on playing with my hormones if i can avoid it.

I have a lot more to say, but I'm not sure if I am suppose to be replying in Duad's thread. Is it okay if I keep going or should I send the rest direct message, or better yet just stop talking altogether?

No problem man, I'm not the most knowledgeable about supplements or nutrition, I just know the basics. The more information the better!

• 2 weeks later...

alright, so my schedule's hectic, this week im looking at strength 2x and cardio mebbe 3x, im hoping to switch those 2 in the coming weeks. meantime, duads: you said youd post some links for some good rollers or whatever they were, for my back? lemme know, if one's reasonable i can push for it for my birf.

• 3 months later...

As this is the fitness Thread...

I have joined a small local gym, Intense muscle fitness training this week... omg I think they are trying to kill me

:(

I figured it was time to finally get a trainer and I did, one thing I do really like is that it's not just wieght lifing and running, they do lots of stuff with rubberbands(big ones) resitence training(they tie me up to a bungie cord and tell me to run) along with kettle bells, sleds, medicne balls and my personal fave the retardedly heavy truck tire you flip around. It's also good to really have someon who pushes me(yes nick you did but the early morning hours are better for me). If I can stick to this I should get some good results judging by the other people there... I hope...

btw I'm am so much more out of shape then I really thought.

• 1 year later...

Good stuff Angel. Best of luck with your training. That sounds a tad like the training all the actors in 300 had to go through to get so ripped haha.

Been on a fitness kick for the last 6 months or so but only really started doing it properly about 4 months ago heh. Seeing some definite results and I'm a hell of a lot less lazy than I used to be. Problem with me is I try to have my cake and eat it too. I want to get big and do lots of cardio which is just not the way to go. I've gotten into distance running and did a 5 mile race a few weeks. I've entered the 10 mile next weekend too. I've set myself some slightly more realistic goals now like getting my weight back up to 190lbs and working on lean muscle weight rather than just piling on the pounds.

Fell out of my normal routine as it was pretty busy in work recently with 12 hour days and the like and my weight started to slip down to like 175 at one stage. Given my body fat rarely goes above 13% and I'm a tall fucker I looked a bit decrepid. Kinda scary. I'm either blessed or cursed in the way that I need to literally eat like a pig (3 large meals a day plus snacks plus supps) to put on a decent amount of weight.

yeah, same dilemma here, shane - i shed weight with any real cardio too...tried mixing that and upping my caloric intake/supplements, but it's very, very slow going and getting sick even once or just skipping meals would drop me back down with a quickness.

i had to cut out heavy aerobic cardio entirely for the last few months at least, eating a bit more but not tremendously - i got on a regiment my friend recommended for supplements, and by doing that plus strength 4x a week (1, sometimes 2 days of short bursts/anaerobic cardio, usually boxing), and i jumped up to 175 or so (from 160-165 prior), ive been @ 180 but with what im thinking is 15-20% body fat, certainly more than usual...im realizing what a lot've guys have told me, its easier to bulk up and then shed back down to your ideal weight & retain lean mass with my boy type (ectomorph). i'm thinking of taking it up a notch next week; i'd like to see if i can get up to 190 without too much more body fat, then shed back down & try to maintain around 180 or so, hopefully with 12% fat or so. i miss going for runs (weird to say that, i used to hate them) and would like to start again at the end of the year or so. so yeah, if you want ideas on my route, lemme know man, we're in the same boat.

i miss going for runs (weird to say that, i used to hate them) and would like to start again at the end of the year or so.

yeah, me too. our nearby bridge, however, is a little more challenging but i have to say that the view is much nicer than the bridge we used to run together. Let me know if you want to run it sometime:

30_527_395_800px_port_boulevard.jpg

that is quite fancy indeed! and i do so miss our runs - you, me, eli, bish, arch, gun, sen, whoever'd show up, really.

gonna make use of that bridge again, mark my words. also, i love how that pic makes me want to go in that water, when we both know that's prolly not a good idea.

yeah, it probably isn't a good idea but i'm sure you wouldn't be the first.

I've been trying to get my cardio back in shape by running on the treadmill before i try to tackle that thing. my ultimate goal is to run the ING half-marathon this year. Mile 12 is right at the intersection of my condo so when i finish, i can just walk back home=bonus.

yeah, same dilemma here, shane - i shed weight with any real cardio too...tried mixing that and upping my caloric intake/supplements, but it's very, very slow going and getting sick even once or just skipping meals would drop me back down with a quickness.

i had to cut out heavy aerobic cardio entirely for the last few months at least, eating a bit more but not tremendously - i got on a regiment my friend recommended for supplements, and by doing that plus strength 4x a week (1, sometimes 2 days of short bursts/anaerobic cardio, usually boxing), and i jumped up to 175 or so (from 160-165 prior), ive been @ 180 but with what im thinking is 15-20% body fat, certainly more than usual...im realizing what a lot've guys have told me, its easier to bulk up and then shed back down to your ideal weight & retain lean mass with my boy type (ectomorph). i'm thinking of taking it up a notch next week; i'd like to see if i can get up to 190 without too much more body fat, then shed back down & try to maintain around 180 or so, hopefully with 12% fat or so. i miss going for runs (weird to say that, i used to hate them) and would like to start again at the end of the year or so. so yeah, if you want ideas on my route, lemme know man, we're in the same boat.

In all fairness I bring it upon myself. I skip meals, don't get enough sleep (a fucking killer for lean mass I'm told) and generally do all the things they tell you not to do. That said my weight yo-yos wildly between 170 and 185 anyway on an almost weekly basis. Rarely goes near 190 which is strange for a guy of my height and build. It doesn't help that the trainers at my gym are a pack of ignorant fuckheads who care more about grab-assing and talking on the phone than y'know training people. Makes it easier to slip and get into bad habits you see.

Thanks I may take you up on that offer.

Archived