Hondo's Bar

Favorite RPG's

The NZA

Vagrant Story as said before, good story with one particular cutscene that's hard to top. The combining system was amazing, spent hours on that, and more bosses than you could shake a stick at.

The Final Fantasies of course, notably III, VII AND X for me, played blitzball for ages too, shame it was so linear.

Terranigma on the SNES was ace, started off like your average young-fella-in-a-strange-land-fighting-monsters game, by the end you'd resurrected life and civilisation on earth.

Well, for me the whole FF series is spectacular! I own them all. My fav out of this series would have to be FF7 but I love them all in they're own way. I haven't done the online thing because I don't feel like I should pay after I buy the game to play it. Yuk!

Xenogears and Xenosaga are great. Storylines unique and, as Nick said, controversial enough that it keeps you interested. :D

Chrono Trigger is my baby. :D I know that game inside out. Everything from hidden items to how to get all the endings without a stradegy guide. Chrono Cross was beautiful graphics with ok story... nothing beats the original.

Secret of Mana was a very good game along with the game boy version that came out recently, Sword of Mana. Very Nice.

How about the original Lufia? Anyone played that one? The proceding games were good as well but I think they made to many different stories on the same concept of the original that it was a little played out. Don't get me wrong, I love them all; the game boy games of Lufia are just as good.

Legend of Zelda is more adventure? I guess... it's still an awesome series as well.

But I think the creators are running out of ideas. :D There goes one of my hobbies.

Ah, cool! Yeah, i rented Lufia II: Sinstrels of Doom, i think it was, and that was a really fun, classic RPG there. Shame it was like $80 new, then, or idve gotten it.

Chrono Trigger's a classic...i liked Chrono Cross, but not enough to replay it like the old one, you know? Game had a lot of charm for one of those "the main character says ... "

Sword of Mana, which i coulda played that one.

Dont fret tho! Between Suikoden IV (you should really check out that series if you can; part III wasnt the best, but I and especially II for PSX were really great) and Xenosaga II, this year's end should be kind to us RPG fans.

ps KOS - never got past the hidden mine cave part of Vagrant Story... ??? how much longer did i have to go? And where's your cutscene?

ps KOS - never got past the hidden mine cave part of Vagrant Story... ??? how much longer did i have to go?  And where's your cutscene?

Hmmm, hidden mine? Not sure when you mean, been ages, I think the one you may mean is about 60% thru. This one is quite near the end, it's a cutscene leading to a fight with Kali (yep, the Hindu Kali), you definitely would know it...damn it, if I hype it any more you'll probably go back, play it for 15 hours, see the like one minute scene and come back and rail on me for wastin' your time!! :D

Damn good calls, US! Which suikoden you a fan of? I loved 1, 2 is sitll one of my favoreit RPG's....3 was alright, didnt think it was as strong. Looking forward to the upcoming 4th one!

Lunar is still one of the only reaons my Sega-CD wasnt a waste, and the playstation remakes were amazing, with all the extras and all. Man, i miss that series.

It's a tough call between Suikoden I and II. I might have liked 1 slightly better, but they were both just so amazing. Lunar was amazing on all systems (and they had that HUGE limited edition release not too long ago for the PS or PS2). I was also a huge fan of Magic Knight Rayearth and I remember enjoying the early Breath of Fires. Still, Suikoden and Lunar take the cake for me.

Youre a man of excellent taste. Suikdoen I deserved way more credit....i picked it up after a game mag review, and god knows there wasnt shit for PS2 RPG wise before FF VII...holy shit, that was a great decision.

2's plot was amazing, i stand by that game. Its worth a lot on Ebay now, but i just cant part wtih it.

Lunar's re-relases were beautiful...take an amazing series, update the graphics, add anime CGs by the ton, voice overs, all of it (and keep the epilogue mode!), and you get a series that gets a ton of my love. Here's for hoping for news on part 3.

Lunar%20Silver%20Star%20Story_B.jpg

lunarsss-luna_a.jpg

Lunar%20Silver%20Star%20Story_A.jpg

Working Designs has an excellent page for movies & wallpapers, incidentally.

UO - never played Rayearth, how was that one?

Man, i still wish i could find a Sega Saturn just to play Panzer Dragoon Saga one day.

PS RPG lovers - gameskins.com has a cool shirt in there now, check out the front design:

rpg_lg.gif

• 3 years later...
My fave RPG? Honestly? The ultra-rare Drunken RPG. Not because of the bragging rights, but because it was fun actually making it...

Hey... There's a rumor that the creator might actually make a sequel - Drunken RPG II - Drunk at Hondo's.

LIES!!!!!

Suikoden II-I-V-III

Chorno Trigger

Xenogears

Lunar I-II

Final Fantasy IV-VI-IX-XII

Dragon quest (all of them)

Secret of mana

Secret of Evermore

Earthbound

Magic Knight Rayearth

Vagrant Story

I'll try to remember the rest later.

lies, indeed, benny. :FHD:

my list is damn similar; just dropping a few of newt's titles and adding Shenmue II. Though i know everyone wants a Chrono Trigger remake (and its a fair request; fuck Mystic Quest, that was an amazing RPG even for beginners), but with western style RPG's on the rise - even influencing japanese ones - i personally think its important to get a new Mother/Earthbound out the door now.

Think about it: the wii's unique control scheme would allow for some awesome "breaking the 4th wall" moments that the series could go to town with. Graphics arent part of the game's charm; its so much else. HAL is done with Smash Bros, what are they working on now? I tell you, a new Earthbound could be one of the Wii's best games out, and one of the better RPGs right now while the western ones go full steam ahead and the J ones either stagnate or fight to incorporate western elements.

shit, at least let us get Earthbound on VC.

mother-1-2-keychain.jpg

• 3 months later...

Archived