Hondo's Bar

Road to Perdition

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably because it's the movie adaption of a graphic novel that was heavily influenced by Lone Wolf & Cub, according to the authors. Granted, of course, the differences are astronomical, but I'm sure it was that fact that led KOS to connect the two. Anyway, moving on.

• 1 month later...

Picked up the book to this one on Warren Ellis' say-so; never heard back from Junker on what he thought of the original comic.

Aint read it though just yet, but i can already see the parallel to Lone Wolf & Cub, one of my new favorites. Art looks interestin, im lookin forward to seein if the story stands up. I originally wasnt as interested 'casue of Junker's "visually stunning" comments; that sounds like a fat chick with a nice personality, no offense. Take Citizen Kane: cinematically, a monument, but i never thought it was the greatest story of all time. Certainly not bad, definetly worth seeing, but there's classics i had a lot more fun with, follow?

Just wanted to say that it looks like i just might regret not seeing this one. Ill come back after finishin the book (still got a few ahead of it, but at the pace im at itll be soon) to own up if im wrong.

*sigh* what I meant about the great visuals and all this is that the story is told well... If it looks nice but is completely out of context with the plot of the movie, the cinematographer might as well be masterbating on screen. It's a fuckin great story, and the director and actors are telling it as well as any story I've ever seen. It doesn't look cool for the sake of looking cool, its visuals and sound compliment the story perferctly.

I tried to make the point that the visuals and sound were the best things about the movie... meaning that you should catch it AT THE THEATERS. I was essentially pissed on. "Looks and sounds good?..... must be shit!"

Goddammit the story is fuckin good ok? I just meant that the Visuals, sound and acting were what impressed me the most. Just watch it, and you're gonna fucking agree 100%.

As for the comic, I grabbed it in texas, and read it, and its great. The plot is very differnt from the movie, much more action packed and john woo-ish, but the movie keeps the spirit of it very much in tact. As for it being anything like lone wolf and cub, dont expect any of that from it. The only resemblance is that theres a father and his kid involved. Stop analyzing a movie you've never seen so fucking much and see it! God forbid I give a bit of credit to the director and cinematographer of a movie... you avoid it like the fucking plague... if I say that an actor did particularly well in it you'd flock to it, it's kind of funny how that works...

So, how about this, "The visuals and sound SUCK, but tom hanks and paul newman do great jobs in it, in fact , it's essentially a sequel to saving private ryan and cool hand luke when you think about it... cause visuals have nothing to do with the way a story is told at all really... you could have a chimp pointng a camera at a good actor and you'll get a great movie..." I never thought a compliment would stop somebody from seeing shit, it's a fucking good flick and thats that, see it if you want to watch a good movie and dont see it if you still have reservations about a movie with brilliant visuals, great performances and a fine script. Al I can say is I bet you're gonna watch that shit on DVD and go "fuck, I wish I could have seen/heard that beach scene on the big screen!"

There, I now refuse to gratuitously hype this movie anymore. It's good. If you cant spend two hours of your time wtaching it after all this shit... well it's your loss for being stubborn, cause it's a good movie that should be caught in theaters. :D :ill:

Haha, well put Junker. But you gotta remember, IC is a Kevin Smith fan. He holds no value in visual quality. A Kevin Smith fan cares about visual quality like a pimp cares if his hoes got nice personalities. By the way, if you ever set up IC on a date, try not to mention the personality. Say something like "The bitch is fucked up in the head Carrie-style, but has a rack the could keep spices on" and IC will half-way to the phone to make the dinner reservations.

Well, yeah, if she's asian.

Man, you movie bitches are uptight and surly when drinking. Yes, i do flock to actors & directors i trust, and im far more turned on by a fair plot synopsis to go with it than "stunning, a tour-de-force!" or some such shit, as ive seen pretty, pretty stuff and i want soemthin backing it, which i didnt think your initial review had since it mostly went on bout pretty stuff. Didntn turn me off to it, just didnt help sell a movie i was questionable about.

Was analyzing what id read of the book, guess illl keep that kinda talk in Xavier's...Fuckin hell, i posted to say i mighta been wrong, and i intend to see it, and i still take shit? You know what, fuck drunken movie critics, and fuck Citizen Kane in the ear, that shit shoulda had Marlon Wayons and Booty Call jokes and maybe it wouldnt have been so slow to those of us not watching to take notes! Rosebud this, you fuck!

By god ill rename this thread Festivus 2: Die, Junker, Die!, itll be gold!

If I may interpret Junker's review, his fasinaction with R2P was he wasn't excepting such create cinematography. He was expecting a great story, so when he got it, he wasn't so flabbergasted by it. Just like with the Matrix. Everyone knew it had great visuals. Anyone with eyeballs and a TV screen knew that. But when I told my older brother that the movie was actually good, he was reluctant to believe me. "C'mon, Keanu Reeves! How can it be good?" When he walked out of the theater, just like me, he was caught off guard be the movioe having substance adn depth and being...good! Because he wasn't expecting that. That's how Junker felt about R2P. ?He was expecting the substance and the depth and the goodness, but the visuals caught him off guard and so that was what he was compelled to talk about. Junker may correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I think he meant.

Heh, posting drunk rocks... I stand by my drunken alter ego all the way. Yes, the storyteller is just as important as the story he's telling. If Carlos Mencia tells a joke, it'll probably be funny, even if the joke itself isnt that good, but if poor dinghy tries to tell one she might break down laughing before it gets out and forget half of it and it wont be very funny regardless of how good the joke was.

Oh, and on sort of a tangent, Citizen Kane is much more than just a bunch of cool visuals. If ya watch it the way you watch a regular movie you'd enjoy it just fine, great acting, story and really cool dialogue. Its jjuts that when people watch it they feel complelled to watch it as "the greatest movie of all time" not just as a fuckin movie.

Your drunekn ego is a cunt. Ill most likely see this one on DVD on a small TV with a great stereo that aint hooked up right, interrupeted by the phone, and thinking about how id rather be jerking off. Ill now speculate wildly on the plot, having not actually seen it:

Oscar-Winner Tom Hanks gives a tour-de-force (fuck does that mean?) performance as a man who's just crashed from the Apollo 13 onto an island he had to escape which wasnt very easy because he's not a very smart man, but he knows what love is...and then runs into his son (played by Oscar winner Maculy Culkin), moments before a freak accident causes them to travel back in time to take on Al Capeone, which results in them switching bodies, and then hijinx ensue!

"Hanks and Culkin are the new Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder...two thumbs up!" - Fox Movie Review

*Look for the soundtrack from Epic records, featuring:

Linkin Park - Momma didnt love me

Lil' Bow Wow - Bust a move

Limp Bizkit & POD - Parentz just dont understand

Enrique Iglesias & Ricky Martin - Chubacabra of your heart

In closing: As Junker should know, seeing movies with this group here in Texas is impossible. I said im interested, leave it at that.

PS Fuck you.

muhahahahahahaha, best part is that yer gonna watch it and go "bah, motherfucker had a point." B)

Speaking of caulkin, caulkin's brothers are pretty decent actors, the little one was in signs, and the big one was in murder by numbers (shit movie with good actin by him) and a new one called "Igby goes down" is supposed to be cool. And on the subject of seeing stuff in theaters, they're releasing Apollo 13 at Imax theaters, so that should be pretty cool, I'd like to see more stuff like that at Imax, 2001 maybe?

Yeah, I bet Macully watchs those movies with his brothers and thinks to himself "I never would have expected this back in '92!" But I thought he rocked in The Good Son. I think we call all agree on that!

Igby Goes Down looks cool. But I'll skip Apollo 13 in Imax, I wanna see Treasure Planet on Imax (simultanious release on regular and Imax screens!).

Well R2P finally comes out here on Friday, dunno when I can get to see it though, I'm over to England this weekend. I do intend to see it in the cinema, I'll get back to you when I do...

And IC, it's thinking like that that led to me missing LA Confidential in cinemas, I thought, 'loads of good acting but I'll see it on video'. If I'd been told, 'big fucking shootout at end' I'd have been there! :shoot:

forget it KOS. You can lead a horse to water, you can drink that water while rubbing your stomach and licking your lips, you can call the horse fucking gay for not drinking, you can hit him in the head with a wrench the size of a baseball bat, you can hold a gun to his mother's head and rape his sister, you can peirce his lips with a few 30 pound weights when his head is right above the water, but you can make the mother fucking horse drink the fucking water. But at least hurting horse is a fun way to pass the time, and once he dies from a combination of stubberness and beatings, you can have some great juicy horse steak. Mmm Mmm good!

• 3 weeks later...