Hondo's Bar

Talib Kweli & Mos Def (Blackstar)

The NZA

Nah, Mos only started sucking with this Black Johnson group of his that feels like the low-rent Roots. Now he's all hit and miss (mostly misses, admittedly) but did you listen to his first solo, Black on Both Sides? there's hardly a bad track on that one.

Ive got a few Urban Thermo Dynamics mixtapes, theyre ok, but his best stuff was with Blackstar and that first solo joint. Same goes for Kweli, though - the further he gets from his first album the less ive gotten into him. The two really need to do another Blackstar with Hi-Tek or someone on the beats, i think. Like you said, even another Reflection Eternal'd be amazing.

that i havent heard, good?

Mos' lyrical content can be solid but it doesnt usually have Kweli's depth, that's true. its just his style/flow sounds better to me a lotta times; i mean, you still hear Miss Fat Booty off that album, but New World Water, Hip-Hop, Mr. Nigga and such have some depth and just sound tighter to me. again, havent liked him nearly as much since then, sadly, and im thinking his great job on Umi Says convinced him he should sing more than rap, and that's not been a good plan.

kweli's just so much more 'intellectual'

and liberation was dope in places yeah

that 1 joint 'funny money' had a wikid sample in it. best alternative mc and best producer i reckon, album overall wasn't gold though

• 1 year later...

still havent heard Mos' last one, "Ecstatic". at this point im almost convinced he & Talib need to get on with the next Blackstar and stop wasting time.

That said, here's a fun freestyle with Mos, Black Thought (Roots) and Em back when he tried.

Mos was good (he's done that one before though), Thought wasnt bad but he's done better. Em's highlight was the end, "Now that I’m a little calmer I’m a cross between, Osama, Dahmer, Obama, and the Dalai Lama"

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

eh, honestly....past Blackstar & Reflection Eternal, he doesnt have a lot. i loved his first one, "Quality", but his regular albums - Beautiful Struggle etc, even the mixtapes, are big hit & misses. i realized one of my favorite tracks of his past his work with Mos & Hi-Tek was the one he did with the Roots...kinda made me realize im not as big a fan of his solo shit as i thought i was, he just works really great with certain dudes.

oh yeah, dude sounds way different live, too. its weird. but yeah, that's why im excited about another Reflection Eternal joint...but he and Mos need to stop fucking around and do another album.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived