Hondo's Bar

Love of Calvin & Hobbes

Reverend Jax

Am I the only one that gets misty when reading this?

0740721356.01._PE20_PIdp-schmooS,TopRight,7,-26_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Well, I don't. I have that book, and while it was interesting and educational about the process Bill went through in creating the Sunday strips, I don't think it made me misty eyed. The other books do, but after reading the other books hundreds of times before that book came out, that book didn't do much for me. I wish Watterson would come back at do new C&H work for books only (a graphic novel or collection of graphic short stories). It would free him from almost all the constrants he dealt with in the newspapers. But I guess he's left C&H behind him forever. :(

This was one of, if not the greatest comic strip that was ever printed.

While I am a huge fan of The Boondocks (the animated series in production now will now be airing on Adult Swim, not Fox, so we can expect all out Boondocks!), as well as Fox Trot, The far Side, Non Sequitor, Zits and Doonsbury, but really, nothing comes close to C&H. Nothing.

Oh god, they are making an animated series of the Boondocks! My ears doth protest!

Seriously animated series are just the worst ideas, ever. Look what happened to Peanuts, Dennis the Menace and Dilbert.

Thats the 2nd time I've been devastated in two days. The first was when my economics lecturer told me that Lewis Carroll (Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, etc) was a suspected paedophile. :D

As for C&H, it should be left where it is. It's a Magical World and There's Treasure Everywhere are the misty-makers for me.

I am torn about wanting Watterson to leave Calvin where he left him. I think he could do great things in book only format. Imagine a whole book, water colored and in a virtuely constriction less format, like the beginning of the treasuries! On the other hand, Bill doesn't want to do it, and the only way it could be good again is if he wanted to do it.

As for animated strips, as much as I love C&H, I NEVER wanted an animated series (well, maybe when I was 7 or 8). It wouldn't work at all. But the Boondocks could. Sure it will lose it sense of being topical, but Aaron MacGruder has alot of creative control, and the move form Fox to Adult Swim is clearly an indication of the desire to maintain the strip's spirit. Adult Swim provides the perfect established audience for shows otherwise not commercially palpitable. Adult Swim is edgy. That's the point of it, and a huge audience of people who gravitate to edgier programming has grown there. They will not try to tone down the edginess of the strip. If anything, Adult Swim will allow more freedom than most newspapers have allowed. I am concerned that, while Adult Swim has brought in big revenues, they won't be able to afford a series as beautifully animated as the Boondocks is drawn.

As for

Look what happened to Peanuts, Dennis the Menace and Dilbert.

Dennis the Menace is classic, but hardly has much substance, the animated series did not dumb down the strip's content at all.

Peanuts, as far as I know, never had a series, just a bunch of Specials, and the ones I've seen were great. I still read Peanuts and hear the voice actors fromt he Specials in my head for the characters. Plus, if not for these specials, we wouldn't have had Vince Guaraldi's incredible song library associated with the Specials, include the absolutely perfect "Linus and Lucy", the single greatest jazz theme song, even beating out Henry Mancini's "Pink Panther" IMHO.

And Dilbert, yeah, the characters didn't work nearly as well in the 30 minute format compared to the 3 panal strip format, but just because the show was not as good as the strip doesn't mean it was bad, just not as good.

I also thought the Garfeild animated series was funnier than the strip, but that's only because Jim Davis very quickly (in a matter of a few years) got lazier than Charles Shultz did after 50 years, repeating the same stories over and over, and not taking the strip in any new direction. Plus, Davis' characters were not nearly as awesome as Shultz's, so after a while, it's just not interesting anymore without moving into new territory, only like Peanuts, which in the same territory for decades, is still entertaining.

I'm also glad Fox Trot has never been animated, and lord knows Amend has probably been given the offer. He's very aware of the fact that his strip wouldnt' work well on TV.

I am torn about wanting Watterson to leave Calvin where he left him. I think he could do great things in book only format. Imagine a whole book, water colored and in a virtuely constriction less format, like the beginning of the treasuries! On the other hand, Bill doesn't want to do it, and the only way it could be good again is if he wanted to do it.

I do understand what you mean. I'm sure the end result would be cool, especially as Watterson's sunday strips are definitely some of the best C&H stuff. However, it'd be kind of like thinking your favourite cat is dead only for it to reappear years later. Slightly unnerving and a bit weird.

But the Boondocks could. Sure it will lose it sense of being topical, but Aaron MacGruder has alot of creative control, and the move form Fox to Adult Swim is clearly an indication of the desire to maintain the strip's spirit.

Alright, I'll hold my breath. I have no problem with McGruder trying out other mediums. I hear his collaboration with Kyle Baker on 'Birth of a Nation' graphic novel is awesome. However, I just wish that he would create something new to make inot a cartoon, not do it with the already strip-established Boondocks.

Peanuts, as far as I know, never had a series, just a bunch of Specials, and the ones I've seen were great.

Uhhh...I'm just gonna have to go ahead and ..sort of... disagree with you there

I'm also glad Fox Trot has never been animated, and lord knows Amend has probably been given the offer. He's very aware of the fact that his strip wouldnt' work well on TV.

One of my nightmares is that I'm going to switch on the tv and they are showing a sitcom-version of Foxtrot with Josh Hartnett as Peter, Haley "I see dead people" Joel Osmond as Jason, etc...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I cannot begin to explain how much I love this strip. It's just fantastic.

And the funny thing is that I discovered it when I came here to Finland, almost by accident. I was in the libary a couple of years ago and decided to go and read some book (I dont remember which one) of C&H. Boy! It was perfection all the way I looked. Excellent drawing and excellent dialogues... Anyway, I hope to buy The Complete Calvin an Hobbes by Christmas...

1560445704_cd392e6c13_o.jpg

1559570461_da03483d75_o.jpg

1559570735_75dd943dea_o.jpg

1560447422_4009922b4a_b.jpg

1559572261_01c9d904d1_o.jpg

1560448018_4b05d2c6c5_o.jpg

1559572783_6b0fe053ab_o.jpg

1559573065_aad8621bd3_o.jpg

1559573391_a8780c72a3_o.jpg

1560449810_c31749fabc_b.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

baCEB.gif

RRKNw.jpg

XYEPA.gif

zNhw5.gif

4RZ9R.gif

tenoK.jpg

Metvb.gif

Z6XfP.jpg

ZAsuQ.jpg

qxFab.jpg

7ZrxW.jpg

27149.jpg

AuQYc.jpg

o5sVz.jpgW8Rwe.jpg

0vodi.jpg

yqgxQ.jpg

ajMHb.jpg

scan0053.jpg

TelepathicMom.JPG

YourMajestysSandwich.JPG

ch930211.gif

PECU8.jpg

tumblr_m7ym8veolv1rbjw1xgn.gif

oh yeah, in lieu of merchandising:

hobbes-plush.jpg?cb5e28

how to make this

Begin by printing out my homemade Hobbes pattern (also attached below), preferably on stiff paper like cardstock.

You will need orange, black, and white fleece, with thread of the same colors. You will also need some polyester stuffing, poly stuffing beads if you want, two black 3/4" plastic buttons, and some thin black cording or yarn.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Stuf...-with-pattern/

PaPPu.png

I have never been happier to have a girlfriend who can sew. That Hobbes is will be sitting on my bed in no time. Sorry 30 inch long plush Appa, you have to move somewhere else.

Also, that fucking writer for the Onion knows exactly where in my heart to drive his rusty, jagged dagger. Seriously.

Edited by Reverend Jax