Hondo's Bar

Love of Calvin & Hobbes

Reverend Jax

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

New Calvin and Hobbes book releasing with in-depth Watterson interview

Here’s an excerpt from Bill Watterson’s rare new ‘Calvin and Hobbes’ interview

Amazon link to purchase: Exploring Calvin and Hobbes: An Exhibition Catalogue

JR: Are you surprised that the strip continues to enjoy such immense popularity so long after you stopped drawing it, and do you have any thoughts about why it’s had such lasting impact?

BW: It seems the less I do and say, the better everyone likes my work! (laughter) So, no, I don’t understand it at all!

I honestly assumed that the books would go out of print within a few years, once they didn’t have the strip in the newspaper to create the readership for them. But people kept buying the books anyway, and now parents are showing them to their kids, and a new generation is coming up reading the strip. That’s something I never anticipated at all.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Nice find, Jumbie. +1

You're certainly right the article has some good points about the look of the strip and its reflection on the content as well as some good personal relations by the author to Watterson's series of strips on bullying. It's interesting philosophical stuff to explore in a newspaper comic strip.