Hondo's Bar

De Niro

Was lookin at IMDB.com, one of Junker's favorite sites, to see what certain actors were up to - Pacino's gonna be busy, Eastwood's got one comin up, and De Niro...has 2 sequels on the way, both of his comedies.

Unless its a joke, I'm seein "Analyze That" and "Meet the Fockers" (sequel to "Meet the Parents")....certainly the man's free to do as he damn well pleases, and he doesnt havta consult Sorcese on every flick, but over the least few years, ive really enjoyed a few - Ronin, The Score, etc - but i guess i just wanted others to know what he's up to, makes me kinda sad I guess.  He's certainly still got some years of actin ahead of him, just hopin he'll take on another serious project sometime's all.  

Again, before i get flamed here, I'm not sayin the man has to do Godfather II again, but even a cameo like Brazil would be a lot cooler than another Bullwinkle.

Analyze this and Meet the Parents were certainly nowhere near Rocky and Bullwinkle...  This happens to lots of actors, after years of being an award winning, ultra serious actor, he wants to have a bit of fun.  And so far I think it's worked for him.  Analyze this was awesome, I thought meet the parents was funny enough, and Showtime was great.  I like the comedy stint he's on.  I'm not too sure about the sequels, just because I hate when they make sequels just because the former movie made money, but I have no problem with Deniro being a versatile actor that's trying out new things and doing well.  I mean, we already have dozens of great serious deniro roles, I don't mind having a few comedies to watch him in as well.  I doubt he's sticking to comedy for the rest of his career, but he doesn't want to do the same thing time and time again.  Maybe it's a sign that he's getting sick of the same roles and he'll do something completely different like frankenstein again.  I guess hollywood kind of needs him now, not too many other great recent comedies I can think of.  I'd much rather see Deniro and Eddie Murphy play off each other than watch a bunch of teenagers recycle all the jokes from "There's something about mary" time and time again.

PS Oh, and if you're suffering from De Niro withdrawal, watch King of Comedy!  Now there's a great fucking movie.

Never saw Analyze this or Showtime, havta give em a try i guess. Again, the man's entitled to do those or the next 12 Bullwinkles if he wants - flicks like Deer Hunter, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver entitle you to do whatever the fuck ya want in my book - , but...eh, Ill give your King of Comedy a go, you have that one?

I was about to mention 'King of Comedy' as De Niro at his non-ganster best. That movie is so class its unreal.

Personally though I prefer Pacino, his humorous roles ('Dog Day Afternoon', 'Serpico' to an extent) are brilliant, alongside his De Palma films. Whats he up to? I really am too lazy to bother visiting the site.

Also, can you see what different directors are doing at the moment? If so, I might have to take a look...

Aw, see, if you havent seen analyze this and showtime, you havent seen how good teh man can be at comedy.  Meet the parents was cool, but mostly a ben stiller movie.  DOn't have king of comedy cause they wont make a fucking DVD for it!  Bastards... should be readily available at blockbuster tho.  And as for IMDB, yeah, you can see what different directors are doing, what different writers are doing, hell, you can see what different key grips are doing.  Fucking invaluable site.  Has the filmographies of everyone who's just about ever been in a movie, as well as upcoming stuff.  And when you pick a movie it usually has some pretty good trivia on the side for each one.  User comments are alright, gotta watch for spoilers, but it's obvious who knows what they're talking about and who doesnt.  A just plain great site, reccomend it to everyone.  www.imdb.com

HOLY SHIT!

Went to the site. Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem for a Dream) is writing and directing 'Batman: Year One' due for release in 2003, a movie depicting the caped crusaders origins. That is gonna be so the bishiznit! Dude, thats going straight onto my favourites.

you didn't know?  I guess my constant posting and ranting about it whenever batman was mentioned wasnt enough... but yeah, I've been salivating over that for a while now.  There's no way it could turn out bad, he's a great fit to do batman and miller is helping him write it, so it's gonna be gold.

Oops, sorry must have missed those. Gonna get a much darker, broody Batman I reckon, not like the action-filled crap of the latest ones.

Also, gonna keep a keen eye out for 'Below', Darren's offering out this year about a lost submarine or something.

That man can do no wrong!

There's no way it could turn out bad

I beg to differ. It's exactly when you start to have faith in a writer that he will disappoint you. He's done Pi and RFAD, sure, but Batman is a completely different animal than those two. You are dealing with a set of character and a story line we all already know. That sort of thing leads to alot more constraint that when you can write your own characters and plot. I'm not saying it'll turn out one way or another, but George Lucas wrote the first three Star Wars films (4 thru 6) but still screwed up (relative to the first three if nothing else) when writting a script for the next installments. All I'm saying is while the new Y1 flick is sounding more and more like it's going to be sweet, the writer is no definite indication of anything other than is name appearing in the credits. I want just as much as anyone here to see a decent Batflick, but I'm not holding my breath.

god damn... and I thought I was cynical...  I am holding my breath for this one because him and miller have been working really closely on it.  Miller doesnt just get writing credit because he wrote year one, he gets it because he's pretty much co-writing, the screenplay. And while you may have doubts about arronsofsky being able to write batman, I have no doubts that miller can write batman.

George Lucas wrote the first three Star Wars films (4 thru 6) but still screwed up (relative to the first three if nothing else)

This may verge on blashemous but if you watch the Star Wars films closely (4-6), the scripts really ain't that great.

"It'll be like shooting womp rats back home", being just one of many horrible lines.

Aronofsky on the other hand can write his way around anything, mark my words. Miller will be able to add the detail to cater for the hardcore fans but bear in mind Darren is also directing so it really is his baby.

Its gonna be the best I reckon, no doubt about it. As long as they don't screw up with the casting, its gonna be a site to behold.

Come release date I'm gonna expect an apology JMT  :p

• 1 year later...
DeNiro & prostate cancer

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Actor Robert De Niro has been diagnosed with prostate cancer, his spokesman said Monday.

De Niro's cancer was "detected at an early stage" due to regular check-ups, and doctors "project a full recovery," said spokesman Stan Rosenfield in a statement.

The statement did not disclose what sort of treatment De Niro was undergoing for his cancer.

De Niro, 60, one of the most acclaimed actors of his generation, has appeared in more than 60 movies in a career stretching back 40 years. He has been nominated for six Oscars, winning as best actor in 1980 for "Raging Bull" and as best supporting actor in 1974 for "The Godfather, Part II."

Man...im glad its goin well for the man; we'd really've lost one of our best if this wasnt caught as soon as it was, hope his recovery is kind to him.