Hondo's Bar

SIGNAL answers all of your questions

Signal08

• Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You say Gouda is gross, but others say Gouda is a Dutch cheese made from cows milk (of course you may use any type of milk you would like). It has a mild taste and an even texture. What is great about Gouda is that unlike most pressed cheeses, it only has to age for 25 days, during this time an outer rind develops. Gouda can be aged for a longer period and if done so, it must be waxed. Traditionally it is waxed bright red. If you age the cheese for up to 6 months it will develop a stronger flavor and harder texture. This cheese tastes great on dry crackers with a glass of Chardonnay to wash it down!

INGREDIENTS

1 Gallon Fresh Milk

4 oz. Mesophilic Starter Culture

1/4 tab Rennet

Warm the milk to 85 F (29.5 C).

Add 4 oz of mesophilic starter culture and mix thoroughly with a whisk, the culture must be uniform throughout the milk.

Dissolve 1/4 tab rennet into 3-4 tablespoons COOL water. Hot water will DESTROY the rennet enzymes.

Slowly pour the rennet into the milk stirring constantly with a whisk.

Stir for at least 5 minutes.

Allow the milk to set for 1-2 hours until a firm curd is set and a clean break can be obtained when the curd is cut.

With a long knife, cut the curds into 1/2 inch cubes.

Allow the curds to sit for 10 minutes to firm up.

Slowly raise the temperature of the milk to 102 F (39 C). It should take as long as 45 minutes to reach this temperature. During this time, gently stir the curds every few minutes so they don’t mat together.

Once the curds reach 102 F (39 C), allow the curds to settle, then carefully remove 3 cups of whey from the top surface.

Replace the lost whey with 3 cups of 102 F (39 C) water.

Cook the curds at 102 F (39 C) for another 45 minutes. Every 15 minutes remove 3 cups of whey and replace with 102 F (39 C) water.

At the end of the process, you will have removed whey three times.

Drain the whey by pouring through a cheesecloth lined colander.

Carefully place the drained curds into your cheesecloth lined mold.

Press the cheese at about 20 lbs. (9 kg) for 45 minutes.

Remove the cheese from the press and flip it.

Press the cheese at about 40 lbs. (18 kg) for 3 hours.

Remove the cheese from the press, careful it is still very soft.

Float the cheese in a COLD brine solution** for 3 hours. Be certain to flip the cheese over every 45 minutes or so to ensure even rind development.

Pat dry the cheese, you will notice the outer surface has begun to harden.

Place the cheese in your refrigerator to age for 25 days. You will need to flip the cheese over every day or it will dry unevenly.

If too thick a rind begins to develop, place an overturned bowl on top of the cheese, or place it in a covered container. However, continue to turn the cheese daily and do not wrap it in plastic.

Inspect daily for mold. Should mold develop on the cheese surface, simply remove it using a paper towel dipped in white vinegar.

At the end of 25 days you can age it further by waxing it or you may use it immediately.

If you wax the cheese, continue to flip the cheese every 3 days or so.

It is also the cheese of May for many cheese clubs

I actually don't like the signature. I think that scene is a good one to make an animated signature out of it, but it cuts back to Jamie Foxx at all the wrong times. Where are the two shots the first guy gets to the chest? Or for that matter, the final kill shot? Those were the most impressive in the shot. On top of that the "New News" just bugs me.

JAX, let me get it with the sound removed. Dante helped me get it, so I will get with him to remove the sound.

DJ, the scene was froma free downloaded bit, and the best gun shots are missing yes. I am going to try to find the scene with the gun shots included and foxx removed.

I am well aware you hate cheese because you dare to be different. The entire world likes cheese. So MH says 'hmmm, what one way can I be unlike everyone else to draw attention to myself...AH I know! I can hate cheese!!!!" i mean MH seriously,.... even lactose intolerant people like cheese. but thats ok, we all know you are different...and cool, so its acceptable.

FTEV01P01_19.0952.jpg

FTEV01P02_08.jpg

FTEV01P02_04.0952.jpg

HA! that pic is great JAX.

Wallace loves cheese. Maybe...a little bit too much....

Question: Is it safe to have high hopes for the Wallace & Gromit feature length film?

Well, it is about as safe as the president on the couch in his jammys watching tv and eating pretzels... It was a funny series, but does the film have any originality or will it be a fluke. The previous films "The Wrong Trousers and A Close Shave" were funny, and pretty original, the trend must continue. It seems to me that once a series like this tends to get sloppy in time, but the one thing going for it, is the time lapse between films> I think it will be a decent film yes...but I havent seen the previews, so I cant do my ebert thumbs up or down just yet.

Are you getting nervous because SiBobs question thread is slowly catching up to yours and will soon have more posts?

No, it isnt about quantity, its about quality. And he is my best friend so fi he surpasses me I would be happy for him. Granted you and MH are flooding him and neglecting me... but thats ok, I won't judge. We are here to laugh and have good times.

that and SiBob has always been better at everything anyways. He is the one who brought me here. Long live the Mute Bob!

That, and I dont get nervous... I just deal with it. If you get nervous you get all worked up for nothing.

oh, and for as long as I have been on here, I have been surpassed my many.

Archived