Hondo's Bar

Sin City

deacon

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From here:

The adaptation of the Frank Miller graphic novels features a cast to die for: Bruce Willis, Jessica Alba, Mickey Rourke, Maria Bello, Kate Bosworth, Steve Buscemi, Benicio del Toro, Michael Douglas, Carla Gugino, Josh Hartnett, Jaime King, Brittany Murphy, Marley Shelton, Christopher Walken, Elijah Wood, Rick Gomez, Jason Douglas, Nick Stahl, Makenzie Vega, Katherine Willis, Clive Owen, Rosario Dawson, and Michael Clarke Duncan.

Shit, I didn't know Buscemi and Walken(the two creepiest guys in Hollywood) were in it too! Michael Douglas is in it too? Will the list of awesomeness never end? I still don't know who Michael Clarke Duncan and Michael Madsen are playing, but I think Madsen might be Senator Rourke.

Apple has a nice high quality non-choppy version of the trailer 2T posted a few weeks ago right here, y'all!

High Resolution Posters? You Betcha!

Action Figures? Maybe....

sinteaser.jpg

According to IMDb, Michael Clarke Duncan is playing Manute, and Michael Madsen is playing a character listed simply as "Bob".

Rourke is being played by Rutger Hauer.

By the way, I've heard that Douglas was offered a part but turned it down, and I haven't yet seen confirmation on Walken's involvement.

And I'm definitely getting the Jessica Alba action figure when it comes out. :D

Ha...so did I. I was there and I asked the manager if I could get the poster after they took it down. He said he'd do what he could, but he didn't ask for my phone number or anything, so he was only barely trying to humor me.

Anyway, Senator Rourke and Cardinal Rourke are brothers. They're pretty different, one's pretty pathetic and grovelly, the other is a pure evil genius bastard. Sin City was founded by their family.

What's that you say? You demand, absolutely DEMAND some cool Sin City Movie Production Trivia? Fine, jeesh! Don't be so pushy!

After a poor Hollywood experience in the early-'90s, Frank Miller refused to relinquish the movie rights to any of his comic works, "Sin City" in particular. Robert Rodriguez, a longtime fan of the comic, filmed his own "audition" for the director's spot in secret. The footage, shot in early 2004, featured Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton acting out the "Sin City" short-story "The Customer is Always Right". He presented the finished footage to Miller with the proclamation: "If you like this, this will be the opening to the movie. If not, you'll have your own short film to show your friends." Miller approved of the footage and the film was underway. Rodriguez also screened the footage for each of the actors he wanted to cast in the film - all of whom are reported to have been instantly amazed.

Rodriguez, who credits Miller's visual style in the comic as relevant as his own in the film, insisted that Miller receive a "co-director" credit with him. The Directors' Guild of America would not allow it. As a result, Rodriguez resigned from the DGA, saying "It was easier for me to quietly resign before shooting because otherwise I'd be forced to make compromises I was unwilling to make or set a precedent that might hurt the guild later on." Unfortunately, by resigning from the DGA, Rodriguez was also forced to relinquish his director's seat on the film John Carter of Mars (2006) (at the time "A Princess of Mars" after the book on which it was based) for Paramount. Rodriguez had already signed-on and been announced as director of that film when the DGA situation took place, planning to begin filming soon after wrapping this film.

Based on the graphic novels "Sin City" (this was the first of all the stories and originally had no title, but Miller has since re-named it "The Hard Good-Bye"), "The Big Fat Kill" and "That Yellow Bastard", by Frank Miller. The infamous "opening footage" with Josh Hartnett and Marley Shelton is from the Sin City short-story "The Customer is Always Right" from the "Babe Wore Red" collection.

'Robert Rodriguez' scored Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004) for $1. Quentin Tarantino said he would repay him by directing a segment of this movie for $1. Tarantino, a vocal proponent of film-over-digital, has said that he was curious to get hands-on experience with the HD cameras which Rodriguez lauds. When asked about his experience, Tarantino merely replied, "Mission Accomplished."

This was one of several films around the world to be shot on a completely "digital backlot" (i.e. with all the acting shot in front of a green screen and the backgrounds added during post-production). While the other movies (Immortel (ad vitam) (2004), Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004), and Casshern (2004) - two of which were shot on film) were shot first, this movie's use of High-Definition digital cameras (like "Sky Captain") in addition to the "backlot" method makes Sin City (2005) one of the world's first "fully-digital" live action motion pictures.

Originally, the film was going to include the story featured in the "Sin City" maxi-series "To Hell And Back", with Johnny Depp in the lead role as Wallace. This was scrapped before production began but will most likely be filmed for a sequel as Rodriguez plans to film all of Miller's stories at some point.

Leonardo DiCaprio was originally up for the role of Junior but eventually declined the role, which later went to Nick Stahl.

Michael Douglas was offered a role but turned it down

Kate Bosworth was the first choice for the role of Gail.

Footage has been so coveted by fans that when a 27-second behind-the-scenes clip appeared on "Entertainment Tonight" (1981) (airdate: 19 May 2004), it was quickly (though not officially by the show) placed on the internet and downloaded over one million times. The raw footage featured only quick shots of 'Bruce Willis' and a scantily-clad Jessica Alba performing in front of green-screen.

Although Benicio Del Toro already looked similar to his character, he demanded that prosthetics be used in order to perserve the comic book translation.

Ha...so did I. I was there and I asked the manager if I could get the poster after they took it down. He said he'd do what he could, but he didn't ask for my phone number or anything, so he was only barely trying to humor me.

Anyway, Senator Rourke and Cardinal Rourke are brothers. They're pretty different, one's pretty pathetic and grovelly, the other is a pure evil genius bastard. Sin City was founded by their family.

You probably won't get it. In my cinema they give the posters to staff. Just rob it.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived