Hondo's Bar

Sin City

deacon

I keep reading these bad reviews, and of all of the bad reviews, like 80% of them had either undertones or overtones of religious dissaproval. Like this line

Rourke...dictates Sin City’s version of the Fifth Commandment: “You can’t kill a man without knowing for sure you ought to.”

But what's even worse is how they refer to Miller, Rodriguez and Tarentino as childish or immature or sadistic for enjoying watching or making violent movie with busty dames. Why can't people just appriciate art without having to agree with the morals reflected in it. Like sin is bad, so it can't even be express in society in a pretend setting.

Sigh...onto my review....

The movie was tight. It some ways it exceeded my expectations, in other ways it feel short. I had seen some clips of the movie and they were edited to be shorter, so when I saw the longer versions I was pleasantly surprised to see it be not as cut down as I thought it would be. Some really great scenes were cut from the books, some for better, some for worse. For example, the scene with Hartigan (Willis) in the hospital bed cut out alot of Senator Rourke's monolouge about what real power is. It was probably good to cut that down. It' would have gotten tedious with the films pacing. But cutting out the scene with HArtigan's wife was probably a mistake. That scene worked really well in the book and I can't see why it couldn't work in the movie. They cut out Lucille's scene in That Yellow Bastard. Why, I can't figure out. She was already cast for Marv's story. And why could they have cut Aoki Devon's hair to look like Miho's? Fuck this movie sucked!

Seriously, I have no real quams with what was adapted and what wasn't. I just found the delivery to sometimes be distractingly cornball, but that was the point and it really worked.

Grade: 95%, on the scale of Fight Club = 100%

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But what's even worse is how they refer to Miller, Rodriguez and Tarentino as childish or immature or sadistic for enjoying watching or making violent movie with busty dames.

'S funny, that's called film noir (to an extreme, granted). It's no wonder we don't have many good noir flicks these days, god forbid there are movies that show a little moral ambiguity.

Jess and I decided to wait until Sunday to go see it so we didn't have to deal with the enormous crowd of spring breakers. Can't wait, though.

Im with SB; why do film reviewers look for morality in pulp/noir tales, what about the genre are they unclear about? I thought you had to at least take intro to cinema to reivew on non-AICN sites...

Rodriguez outdid himself from Hellboy on "most accurate graphic novel translation ive ever fucking seen", by far. I cant believe Rourke made a superhuman Marv real for me, and i still cant get over how fucking cool Willis was as Hartigan.

Skeet, you're gonna love it, here's to seein a 2T review later too. Also, Jax: i asked :D , i think "The Dame Wore Red" might look at Dwight before the surgery, just so you know.

Nice, and you ougtha leave your ""most accurate graphic novel translation ive ever fucking seen" comments til you've seen American Splendor, you not-yet-having-seen-American-Splendor bastard. As for film critics, they have their genres they like and their genres they don't, just like you and me. We don't like Romantic Comedies, and even though every now and again one will come along you and I enjoy (Chasing Amy, Shaun of the Dead), for the most part, our reviews of any of them would probably stand at "Romantic Comedies suck!" Whatever. I've come to a point at my life where all the people I used to get angry at, now I just feel sorry for they lame asses.

American Splendor kicked ass.

I liked Sin City too. It would have been a good movie for the Postmodernism class I took a while ago. Fit's totally into the POMO style (examples: Blue Velvet, Full Metal Jacket, and Pee-wee's Big Adventure).

Well, Sin City brought in 28.1 million this weekend, easily the #1 spot. Pretty good, but I expect this to have a little more longevity over the next few weeks as word of mouth gets around. Next weekend, we're looking at the release of Fever Pitch, Sahara, and The Cave as the only wide releases (Kung Fu Hustle also comes out, and that one looks badass), so I'm thinking Sin City might have a shot at a second week at #1. We shall see.

Sin City did alright this weekend. It pulled in $14.1M, bringing it's total to $50.7M for 10 days. It was the #2 movie behind Sahara which grossed $18.5M, only $4.4M more than Sin City, and was able to beat out the only other wide release opening, Fever Pitch, which grossed only $13M.

Seems the Farrelly Brothers are learning the same lesson Kevin Smith learned this time last year. If you've made a name for yourself as a vulgar of shock-value filmmaker, no one's going to go see your PG-13 flick. Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

From JoBlo.com:

Now for the news that I'm sure most people will agree is absolutely great. Robert Rodriguez will be shooting back to back sequels for SIN CITY 2 and 3 starting February of next year for a release presumably summer of 2007. I guess the studio big wigs were satisfied with the commercial and critical appeal of the uber-cool SIN CITY that they jumped on the shooting back to back sequels bandwagon. Further, Rodriguez plans to start shooting a film titled CONAN for Warner Bros. after he's done with the sequels. We're not sure whether CONAN is the same sequel that's been in development for a few years now, Conan O'Brien's scintillating tell-all autobiography or something completely original.

Almost not a surprise. I'm so stoked at the potential of back-to-back sequels to Sin City, I'm actually using the word 'stoked.'

All I know about her besides being in Sin City is that she was also in 2 Fast 2 Furious, and her family is like the Japanese Mafia or something. Anyway, I think they're signing a truce with the Jewish Mafia, and Jared is negociating the terms with Miho's brothers.

• 3 months later...

Sin City on dvd = good

Dimension home video not putting a dime into a single decent piece of bonus material = bad

I know Rodriguez has promised a director's cut dvd in the future, but from the experience of waiting 2 and a half years for a director's cut of Daredevil, I don't have that kind of patience. But if you do have that patience, really, don't pick up this disc yet. It is cheap cheap cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

The best movie this summer by far was Sin city.... cinematics.... extreme prejudice from the second story (the best story btw with the guy from hellboy... i call him big diesel ;) I luved it... it was like an old fashioned comic show but super cleaned up I enjoyed it better than star wars even.

So anybody got a "Breakdown" on the dvd and if it's worth buying?

It's not. Unless you really can't wait to see Sin City again and again (like me). The dvd just has the movie and a single "making of" fluff piece. There aren't even any Sin City trailers (though they were happy to include trailers for plenty of other Dimension movies). Put it to you this way - a couple weeks before Sin City came out in theatres, I went out and bought a dvd from Best Buy. With my purchase they gave me a preview dvd for Sin City. That free preview dvd has more bonus material than this one does (in fact the "making of" feature is lifted directly from the preview dvd).

If you can wait, do it. Rodriguez promises a director's cut somewhere down the line with everything you'd wanna see.

By the way, Iceman, I'm not sure what you're talking about. No one from Hellboy was in Sin City...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived