Hondo's Bar

What are you listening to right now?

The NZA

On 19/12/2017 at 6:46 AM, Little Nemo McFly said:

If you haven't ever experienced the 'Celebration of the Lizard' - I implore you, to set aside 17 minutes of your life...put sum good stuff in you (I'm currently @ 2 bottles of wine) - n' grab sum solid headphones, kick back n' close your eyes.  (I know ASC knows what's up...)  Put this in you.

this stuff's great, thanks for introducing

On 4/13/2018 at 12:36 PM, Lorelei said:

is this nu-metal?

Eh, not really. Wiki lists them as Heavy / Doom Metal / Hard Rock / Psych Rock / Prog. Rock which is close. I saw someone recently refer to them as Scooby-Doom Metal, which kinda feels like an accurate description. The lead singer changes his persona with each album, but it's always an Anti-Pope (well...Cardinal this time) of sorts. There's an interesting story from album to album, and the music is pretty good.

Is fun.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

not gonna lie, giving it a go on the strength of "white nationalism is for basement dwelling losers" title alone

track listing is a hoot too

• Hmmm 1

Not quite this band, but this song. Nothing against their other stuff, I just haven't heard most of it, listening to another of their tracks now, but generally I don't want to check out more Coup just yet, I just want to hammer this track again. ( oh, if anyone knows how to get the movie Sorry to Bother You on poor people VOD, let me know)

Speaking of hammers, I discovered (or rediscovered, there've been some blurry years) this track. Several times a day: 

Saw Danny Brown support Run the Jewels(who definitely have their moments), he was gash live, I'm not used to live hip hop, I don't know if he was missing some flanking hype men or if we just failed him as a crowd, or maybe he's just one of those people that can bottle lightning, but can't generate it on command. Anyway, on record, especially on his heavier tracks, it was the quieting noise I need. 

As do these young women:

Also, everyone as a qualifier of World citizenship, everyone should listen to the album Wild Planet by the B52's who are actually the greatest band of all time, a fact masked all through my childhood by the sheer adequacy of Love Shack. 

• Like 1

yeah, sucks to hear about danny brown, but i can see his style not lending itself as well to live shows - that's true of a number of hip hop artists i've seen, though.  it's a shame, but makes me appreciate their studio efforts more.

i imagine RTJ killed it though, they're usually pretty good with crowds & energy. and damn, haven't heard the coup in a minute! 

Aye, they seemed to have done this before. To be honest, I have this problem with almost all gigs, I spend an hour or two processing my own thoughts, in this case trying to spot any black people in the building discounting those that were paid to be there, by about the encore I'm willing to concede that some things are just arbitrarily determined to be of interest to white people and it's OK for me to admit I am one and enjoy some music and then it's time to go home. 

• Haha 1

To be honest, I'd be quite happy if ginger dude just faded into the background like Dave Stewart/ Chris Lowe/ Danny Brown's guy and Killer Mike just handled the vocals. Course they'd need about 75% more lyrics, but I honestly don't think that would even be a problem.