Hondo's Bar

Favorite Star Wars Character

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are obviously too many, but these are the common choices. I wouldn't have put Boba except that so many people like him for some reason. I didn't put Maul because he doesn't talk as was a pit of a tool. Not 3PO or R2, sorry. And of course, no Jar Jar. IF you have a pick not listed (quite possible) post about it.

A tough one.  

Nice to have Qui-Gon, even if he was just "the mentor who gets bumped off", Im a fan o' Micheal, er Liam.

Obi-Wan's up there tho, hard not to like Ewen & Alec.  I think Obi might very well take it by the series' end, but for now, its still Han - no, not 'cause of the falcon or him gettin Lea, 'cause if you add a hat, he's a damn cowboy, and that's cool.  Theyre needed even in a galaxy far, far away & alla that. :D :D

...but i only picked 'im cause Jar-Jar aint up there.

Boba Fett! He Da Man! I voted for Boba because he's a clever sneaky wee shite, remember in 'The Empire Strikes Back' when Han attaches the Millenium Falcon to Vader's ship and then escapes with the garbage as to avoid detection? Boba was the only one who second guessed it! Hmmm, jedi qualities he may have!?!

This is something that I find really curious. What is this whole cult thing with Boba Fett? Its been a little while since I've seen 4,5 and 6 but I don't actually remember him being in them very much.

**Don't talk about Ep II with Boba's father ChristinaRicciIsReally Fett :D I HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET**

'cause if you add a hat, he's a damn cowboy, and that's cool.  Theyre needed even in a galaxy far, far away & alla that. :D :D

I've actually heard something interesting about this. It's no coinsitence you see a cowboy in Han (though with IC, he probably sees cowboys in everything  :D ). The either star wars story is very similar to a traditional western as aposed to a sci-fi. Vader = Corrupt Sheriff, Leia = Damesal in Distress, Luke = Young Foolish Hero, Ben = Old Wise Mentor, Han and Chewie = Brash Cocky Older Friends giving Young Foolish Hero and Old Wise Mentor a ride in their 'Coach'. Compare the story to most sci-fis*, Star Wars doesn't fit the mold. It's basically a Western in an outer-space setting.

And I agree about Boba Fett. He's a tool of a character and the only reason I put him up there is because there would be complaints if he wasn't in there. It never fails, take a group of inteligent Star Wars fans, and at least one is always dumb enough to like Boba the best. He's not a character! He's more like something that just happens to the real characters, like the tornado in 'Twister' or the Meteor in 'Armageddon'.

* I really think that word (sci-fi) means nothing. All sci-fi describes in a movie nowadays is the setting, and the setting should be irrelavant in genre catergorization. To you see Braveheart in your rental store as Drama or Medieval Britian? If it was under Medieval Britian, then Braveheart and Holy Grail (Monty Python) would be together. Other than having 'advanced technology', Star Wars has nothing to do with science. Science Fiction should be only be stories that take REAL science and create a fictional story around it. Perfect example: Contact. SETI and scanning the skies for radio signals for an inteligent source = REAL science. Getting a signal back = fiction (supposedly, either way the story in Contact never happened, so it is fiction).

And I agree about Boba Fett. He's a tool of a character and the only reason I put him up there is because there would be complaints if he wasn't in there. It never fails, take a group of inteligent Star Wars fans, and at least one is always dumb enough to like Boba the best. He's not a character!

First and foremost you have to remember that Star Wars is a film for kids. The first time i seen the films i was about 7 or 8 years old, so forgive me if i liked Boba Fett and his rocket flying, laser shooting and his generally small but action packed role, yes i must really be dumb then! Can you also please kindly explain to me what exactly is an intelligent Star Wars fan? There's only one tool here and it aint Boba Fett!

Ok you clearly need an explaination on this. It can be tricky, so I'll go slowly. Intelligent Star Wars Fan. This has two main component parts: Intelligent & Star Wars Fan. Now clearly Intelligent is going to be the harder of these two to explain, so I'll move on to Star Wars Fan. Star Wars was a film released in the 1977 AD. Films are a series of still images projected onto a screen so as to make the images appear to move. Many have sound accompaniment. They are offend used to tell a story. Fan is short for the word Fanatic which means a person who enthusiastically or passionately enjoys something. Now back to Intelligent. Intelligent is a word to descibe one possessing sound knowledge and/or having the capacity for thought and reason especially to a high degree.

So, to wrap it all together, an Intelligent Star Wars Fan is: one possessing sound knowledge and/or having the capacity for thought and reason especially to a high degree whom enthusiastically or passionately enjoys the series of still images projected onto a screen so as to make the images appear to move with sound accompaniment to tell a story entitled Star Wars which was released in 1977 AD.

And Boba Fett is still a tool.

Boba Fett and his rocket flying, laser shooting and his generally small but action packed role

...sounds pretty much like what i liked bout Han, minus the jetpack, which is indeed cool.  Sure, the Falcoln was cool, but again it was the quickdraw.  Those sound like fine reasons to me, tho i admit Han had cool dialogue & much, much more screentime.  

Anyway, this isnt Citizen Kane or English Shakespeare, its fuckin Star Wars, so i gotta ask: what's wrong with somethin just being cool? People ask how Episode II was, that's the first word to come outta my mouth.  That and "..purdy".

Did I know what you meant? You said

Can you also please kindly explain to me what exactly is an intelligent Star Wars fan?

It means exactly what is typed out. A fan of Star Wars who is inteligent. That's all I meant. If someone asked me what and orange frisbee was, I would assume they didn't understand what orange or frisbee meant. If they know what orange means, and what frisbee means, they needn't ask what and orange frisbee is. So I would answer such a question with the definitions of orange and frisbee. And a character can be cool, but I think it's stupid to like an entirely undelevoped one-dimensional character with barely three speaking line as your favorite when there are dozens of great characters. Even Greedo is a reasonable favorite character. And Ic, you say this isn't Shakespeare, but it's an epic story nonetheless. People could easily (and do) say the same thign about comic books, and we know how you feel about that. I think that in thousands of years, people will look at the Star Wars Trilogy like we look at the Iliad and the Oddessy. I can just imagine kids saying "Man! Where were assigned Star Wars in history class! I've got to watch the whole thing my next monday!" I might me a bit of base (The Lord Of The Rings is probably a more logical story fo that). Anyway, I think I've either made my point or rambled on about nothing at all. Either way, better stop there :D

Cmon now, that's not really analogous, is it? A series of movies vs an entire medium? Perhaps if ya mentioned a certain title, but then id have to be honest.  For instance, i could say "Spawn's cool!" but the writing/dialogue/plot is shit, shit on paper.  

Star Wars is indeed an epic, and i cant argue with the western overtones youve pointed out...heard enough of that Joeseph Campbell stuff to see it in that light. But it's never been known for its dialogue....be honest.  Certain lines were "cool" but nothin more, The dialogue is often hokey/corny, and still is.  Maybe im not one of my jedi friends who consider it a way of life, but i tend to see it as a great fantasy epic, more fun than anythin.  And if its fun im seein it for, however short, a cool-lookin guy with a jetpack & lasers sounds like fun.

I think it should be mentioned that Darth Maul didnt talk much either, but many people'd claim him as their favorite.  What's so bad bout being enigmatic?  Guy talks too much (Jar-Jar) we want 'im to shut the fuck up, guy talks too little (Bobba, Darth) we hang on their every word.   It's an effect, like Silent Bob...i dont see it as tool-like.  In a movie that i tend to see as cool/fun - it doesnt touch on the philosophical ideas presented in The Matrix, aside from the jedis and their hint at Buddhism - i cant see Boba & Darth, many people's easy picks, as ruled out.

Dath Vader had alot more lines than you remember. Watch the lightsaber fight scene in Empire for example. Vader yammers on and on and Luke hardly speaks a word. that's no the only scene he has significant lines in either. Vader is definitely a worthy favorite character.

I'm not big on Darth Maul fan myself, but if nothing else, he has facial expressions, which in Maul's case, communicate alot. I think in order for someone to be a character instead of a person in a story, then need to comminicate. Whether it be through words, facial expression or body language. Boba doesn't even have any body language. The 'second stormtropper from the left in scene 17' might as well be your favorite character.

And you're right about the dialogue (the other star wars thread we had was full of my comments about the corny dialogue), but it's doesn't take away from the great story and memorable characters. It's part of its charm. There's a reason why Star Wars became and still is so popular instead of some other movie like, say, Tron. Star Wars is good stuff. And my comment about comics was making a point about how people dismiss things they associate with being childish or not serious. People will say comics are kid's stuff, and that's clearly not true, just like someone might think Star Wars isn't serious enough to analize or have an adult discussion about.

It's the fact that Boba Fett doesn't say much that gives him the mysterious edge that makes me like him. His actions speak louder than words, for example as i have said before, he second guesses moves that on one ocassion even Vader with all his power of the dark side didn't forsee!

Fine! Boba is a great character! He's like the Hamlet of the Star Wars movies! OK? And as far as Vader not foreseeing Han's move to float away "with the rest of the garbage". You are wrong. As you'll recall, Vader arrived at the Cloud City before Han (quoting Lando, "I'm sorry, he arrive just before you did.") Do you think Han would have taken off before the Star Destroyers left? Of course not. He left so than Han would take off, and he had Boba stay behind in the Slave II (or was it the Slave I at that point? Either way) to follow him.

Guest Yahve

Star wars arguments are funny hehe.

Da Judge is right, it's a kids' series.  The prequel series is still a kids' flick with a ton of stuff for adult fanboys.  This is not a literary or story masterpiece.  It's friggin starwars!!  Great movie, fun plot, awesome music...  reminds me of Aladdin.  And I love the series, Clones is my favourite SW yet.  The only downside I think it really had was the shitty saber fights, sure Yoda fought oooh 20 years for this fight and what do we get??  PowerRanger hopping around and very little sword clashing.  They should have just kept the duel to "use of the Force" and not get into sword fighting between a poorly trained sword actor and Yoda, the CG gummi bear who bounces all around.  Yoda twirls around like a madman with his sword everywhere but near Dooku.

Hell the most action packed scene for me is the outdoor fight between obi wan and jango fett.  that was badass !!

Wow. That is possibly the exact opposite of what everyone else in the world has said about Epi2. Fansinating. All I ever hear is 'Epi2 was alright. What really rocked were the action scene. Especially the Yoda lightsaber scene!' Yahve, are you trying to instigate more passion-infused heated Star Wars arguments?

**SPOILERS**

Your telling em you didn't piss your pants laughing when Yoda took up the kung-fu position? Funniest thing I've ever seen in the cinema.

Personally I felt let down by the Samuel L and Jango Fett duel, expected Jango to put up more of a fight really.

Fave character? Gotta be Senator Palpatine aka Sith Lord aka The Emporer really. How sincere did he look in Clones when he accepted the temporary power? Hehe. :D

Guest Yahve
Your telling em you didn't piss your pants laughing when Yoda took up the kung-fu position?

That was hillarious. :D

As for jango fett, he was facing the best swordsman probably second only to yoda.  it was a way unfair matchup.  jango is pretty badass for a villian, on par with a jedi if fully equipped... not bad for a non-force using ordinary human hehe.   Jango was even good enough to shoot the lightsaber out of that jedi's hands whilst on that balcony with dooku.  Talk about making a jedi feel stupid.  :baa:

I'm sorry i didn't like half of the yoda fight.  i liked the 1st half, right up to the point where yoda swings the lightsaber and then it turns into ( as a friend pointed it out to me ) SONIC THE HEDGEHOG vs a fru fru jedi who never gives a full out swing cause he is "too good". I'm sure dooku is the shit as he kicked anakin and obi wans ass but it sure doesn't seem as appealing as a more evenly matched fight would be.... again just look at how much more we all enjoyed the jengo vs obi wan  in contrast to the mace vs jengo fight.   the more evenly paired matchup looks far better onscreen.  :D

Why am i rambling on jedi?  i have a midterm tmr !!  :D

JMT you think that us "Irish Posters" all three of us are going to fucking pick Qui Con, just cos he's played by Liam Neeson, my god your an arrogant fuck!!! Personally its Darth Vader for me, and to me Darth Vader is seperate from Anakin, although the same physical person, the new episodes have totally fucked up that notion for me!! So its good old Darth in all of his Empire Strikes back glory!!

Here we go.... First of all, Star Wars have dozens of great characters. With ten choices, you have to leave out a few. I had to leave out R2D2, C-3PO, Jabba, Padme, Darth Maul, Grand Moth Tarcan, Palpatine, and many others. So, since Anakin and Darth Vader are the same person (though very arguably different characters), I decided to condense them into one. I wouldn't have before Epi2, because Anakin in Epi1 was flat and weak and not a good enoguh character, but he was pretty good in Epi2. So I guess I put "Darth Vader/Anakin" meaning Darth Vader OR (not AND) Anakin. Second of all, I put Qui Gon as a choice because he was badass and a worthy of being on the poll whether his name was Liam or William, the comment was just in good fun. If I was that concern with representing multiple race/ethnicities, I would have included the poll choice 'Mace Windu/Lando (aka "The Black Vote")'. Hope this clears up my innocent intentions, clears my name, and somehow validates my existance as a human being.

Going back to Yahve's post, I made a point after the movie that they'd set Jango Fett up as a great villain, the Jango-Obi Wan fight was badass and both seemed evenly matched. But the Mace-Jango fight was a bit too abrupt for my liking, the only reason, apart from poor direction, we could think of is that maybe they're setting Mace up for the next one, what do you reckon?

Yeah, actually KOS that was my guess.  I cant argue with the Obi-Wan & Fett fight, that was definitely one of the highlings...me, Yahven & Chief were on the edges of our seats that whole way through, well done.

But Windu makin short work of him the way he did...yeah, i kinda got the feelin they were settin him up as "2nd in lightsaber badassness to Yoda"; *CONSPIRACY THEORY TIME WITH POSSIBLE SPOILE..ah fuck it youve read this far*

...we all kinda know (i think) that Anakin has to go on a massive Jedi-killin spree in Episode III, and the only ones spared as far as i know have to be Yoda (hides on a dark planet by that tree, accordin to the original triology) an Obi-Wan, who fucks his ass up good (hence the funny breathin apparatus).

So, if Anakin's gonna be takin down a buncha jedi, they cant all be nameless, and what better way to hype his ass then makin short work of Mace? Just a guess.  Someone mentioned to take the "Sith Lord" or whatever title it is he'd have to kill Darth Maul (possibly cloned by then, too marketable not to bring back i figure) to take his roll as Darth Vader.  What's everyone think of that?  Makes III sound pretty eventful if im anywhere near on target.  Read somewhere that Lucas commented "its going to be a dark movie, especially for Star Wars."