Hondo's Bar

Comic Industry News

The NZA

I don't know if anyone heard about this, but last week Alfonso Frank Frazetta, son of legendary artist Frank Frazetta, was arrested for attempting to steal $20 MILLION worth of his fathers' paintings, about 90 in all.

He used a backhoe to break into a museum that was displaying the work and was arrested attempting to load it into his SUV and trailer.

Update:

More details emerged Wednesday in the family feud that led to the arrest last week of Alfonso Frank Frazetta Jr. on charges of stealing 90 of his father's paintings from the Frank Frazetta Museum near East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania. A notary supported Frank Jr.'s claim that his 81-year-old father had authorized him, in a signed document, to secure the paintings "by any means possible." The notary also said she revoked the power of attorney held by Frazetta Sr.'s other three children Bill Frazetta, Holly Taylor and Heidi Gravin. A judge reduced Frank. Jr.'s bail from $500,000 to $50,000. Meanwhile, Frazetta Sr.'s art collection, valued at $20 million, has been removed from the museum by Bill Frazetta, who says, "They're not going to be displayed back here in the Poconos after this."

I'm kind of confused why having the blessing of the artist makes it OK to drive a backhoe through a museum. If I tell someone to do something "by any means possible", I don't see how that makes them less responsible for illegal activities.

==========================================================================================

=========

Also, Gilbert Hernandez was chosen as the recipient of a $50,000 United Artist grant! Go 'Beto!

I don't know if anyone heard about this, but last week Alfonso Frank Frazetta, son of legendary artist Frank Frazetta, was arrested for attempting to steal $20 MILLION worth of his fathers' paintings, about 90 in all.

He used a backhoe to break into a museum that was displaying the work and was arrested attempting to load it into his SUV and trailer.

Gee, based on his artwork you'd never have guessed the Frazetta family would be anything less than bumbfuck crayzee respectable.

Same here, she had the exact same haircut and everything.
That's the impression I got as well.

OK, so we're all agreed JZA is a racist that thinks all black people look alike then? Glad that's settled.

Edited by Mr. Hakujin

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Same here, she had the exact same haircut and everything. I must say I vote no against casting Eminem in ANYTHING, and yes I've seen 8 Mile. The only other creature to slither out of my state that I hate more than that cocksucker is Nelly.

Interview with Millar on Wanted said despite the physical appearance being based on Halle Berry, he would have wanted Pinkett-Smith for the movie as he felt she had the steel to pull off the character better. Me personally, I think Berry fucking owes the comic community some profane. gunweilding gratuitous nudity steelgunfucking after Catwoman.

• 2 weeks later...
The New New Thunderbolts

tbolts.jpg

Luke Cage

Man-Thing

Juggernaut

Ghost (Fuck yeah!)

Moonstone?

Crossbone

Okay, a lot of that doesn't make sense. SUPER BLOCK OF SPOILER TAG ATTACK!!!

So obviously Nuke/Scourge, Mr. X, and Headsman aren't going to be continuing service since two are Osbourne loyalists and one at a facefull of bullet. Clearly Antman doesn't have the stomach for this kind of work anymore and Paladin never stays with a team for long anyway. So that pretty much leaves Ghost (since we never got the payoff on the REAL Ylena Belova that Norman had in stasis, I don't know what the fuck that was all about) and I suppose it just isn't time for Mach IV (I guess he's Mach V now), Blizzard, and Fixer to rejoin the team but I would have thought they'd bring back Mockingbird and maybe even Radioactive Man, but I guess not. It's a shame, they had a good chemistry.

Now Ghost and Juggernaut make sense, they're good antiheroes (they're arguably better at being bad heroes than they ever were at being villains), and i don't know who Crossbone is but I'll say he makes sense too. But why is Moonstone still hanging around? Can't they have her offed by some shitty hero like D-Man or Frankencastle during Siege or something? Karla Soffen should have stayed dead the first time.

But the two that really perplex me are Luke Cage and man thing. I guess this was where Cage got thrown now that he's too black anti-heroey to be in the New New Avengers (though I expected all the awesome new members like Wolverine, Spidey, and Cage to go out with this event anyway so they could make room for cool members like the other Mockingbird and Ms. Marvel :) ) but why is Man-Thing on this team? Does Man-Thing even know how to be on a team? He's like a wild animal and the only thing he's ever seemed to like is Jennifer Kale (In retrospect maybe that's her in the middle, and not Karla Soffen). Not to mention he's supposed to stay in Citrusville to protect the Nexus of All Realities and so he doesn't die from not being on fresh earth.

I mean I'm a big Man-Thing fan (yeah yeah, say it, i know someone will) and would like to see more of him in every book because he's an awesome character and way better than that overpowered plagiarized tit Swamp Thing, but he's not really a team player. I mean, people are going to get scared and he's going to get pissed off and melt them. It will happen.

I remain optimistic about this team because it's a pretty awesome line-up, but I've not seen a team roster this random since X-Calibur.

/largely agreed. whole thing's news to me, by the way.

Juggs & Ghost seem like great candidates, Crossbones is a classic Cap villain played a small part in his death, im guessing he's the new bullseye "kept on a leash" one? and yeah, Man-Thing might not even know he's there, poor bastard. just glad Sentry didnt really kill him.

Cage...im guessing there's some kinda major falling out after Siege to land him here. what a weird choice, i thought he was a shoe-in Avenger, too. i wonder if this happening has anything to do with Alias putting on the spandex again...?

I just wanna say that 'Baytor earned about 10,000 cool points for having Man-Thing love...

...and then lost a few for not appreciating Swamp Thing. In the 70's, it's a no-contest, Man-Thing by a mile. Gerber was tearin' shit up and Swamp-Thing was unreadable. But in the 80's that Man-Thing re-boot was kinda shit.

I understand that it's dif'rent strokes for different folks and all, and I'm not trying to lay the smack-down for an opinion, but you really didn't like Anatomy Lesson? There's so much awesome there. The revelation that he was never Alec Holland, sex with Abby, vampires logically living underwater (no sunlight when you get deep enough), lycanthropy tied with menstruation, zombies, making Etrigan cool...

I understand hate for a lot of it, especially the preachy enviro-bullshit and the outer space story arc (but that Green Lantern on the planet of plant-people story was BADASS), but I always considered the beginning of the Vertigo run pretty much universally appreciated. /endof :ohface:

No need for explanation, I'm used to this sort of thing by now, I just wanted to express that I'm confounded.

Even with the cool point demerit you're doing a damn sight better than Haku :arty:

Edited by Thelogan Prime
my smiley wasn't working...

baytor: see, i knew so little about Man Thing, i didnt know that. thought he was a goner, and yeah, for no real reason either.

Logans - you exist to remind me that ive finished neither Miracle Man nor Moore's run on Swamp Thing. is that what you're referring to? i kinda skimmed your stuff for not wanting to have it spoiled, but the GL and other bits sounded interesting, you gotta give me issue #s or something.

I just wanna say that 'Baytor earned about 10,000 cool points for having Man-Thing love...

...and then lost a few for not appreciating Swamp Thing. In the 70's, it's a no-contest, Man-Thing by a mile. Gerber was tearin' shit up and Swamp-Thing was unreadable. But in the 80's that Man-Thing re-boot was kinda shit.

I understand that it's dif'rent strokes for different folks and all, and I'm not trying to lay the smack-down for an opinion, but you really didn't like Anatomy Lesson? There's so much awesome there. The revelation that he was never Alec Holland, sex with Abby, vampires logically living underwater (no sunlight when you get deep enough), lycanthropy tied with menstruation, zombies, making Etrigan cool...

I understand hate for a lot of it, especially the preachy enviro-bullshit and the outer space story arc (but that Green Lantern on the planet of plant-people story was BADASS), but I always considered the beginning of the Vertigo run pretty much universally appreciated. /endof ^_^

No need for explanation, I'm used to this sort of thing by now, I just wanted to express that I'm confounded.

Even with the cool point demerit you're doing a damn sight better than Haku :arty:

I hate the character, not the book. The Vertigo Swamp Thing was a lot like the Vertigo Animal Man, it started out great and did some awesome things with the character, introduced cool spin-off characters that are still around (Though John Constantine>>>>>>>Freedom Beast), made older slightly lamer characters cool (Etrigan and Mirror Master) but with both series, once the character reached their god-hood they stopped being interesting and just boring. But like I said, I'm not hating on the book (though like you said, the preachiness and outerspace arcs weren't great) but on the character. I think the one appearance of Swamp Thing that really pissed me off was one in an issue of Batman that involved Killer Croc running away to the swamps and Swamp Thing shows up and tells Batman to leave Croc alone because he's a swamp creature and a jail is no place for him and blah-blah, the environment, blah-blah, he is considered evil by the world of man and he is just an animal trying to live his life, bullshit, fluff, blah.

Man-Thing's general confusion and lack of awareness really work to balance the character's nigh-invincible nature into something that I actually want to read. If both series were to start up anew I would read Man-Thing, but I think all the good stories have been told with Swamp Thing, and without returning him to his horror origins there's really nothing that can be done.

I think I would be less pissed at Swamp Thing is people didn't praise him and claim Man-Thing is a cheap ripoff, because it's not true. To be fair, they're both ripped off of an old comic character but the creators of either respective series were room-mates and the Swamp Thing creator stole the Man-Thing creator's origin story. The only reason it never went to court was because the characters each went their own unique directions after that.

Ah, right on. The only other Swamp Thing I've read was something called Roots (I think). It was some sort of weird prequel and it wasn't very good. At no point was someone required to declare that their name was Toby.

To be fair, they're both ripped off of an old comic character...

Trufax

250px-Airboy-Heap.jpg

• 1 month later...

whoah, so...Johns is moving up, but DC's letting Rucka go? fuck is Dido doing?

Comics Alliance has dropped a bombshell from WonderCon — that Greg Rucka, the driving force behind the new Batwoman, is done both with Kathy Kane and DC Comics for the foreseeable future.

CA’s Laura Hudson, who moderated the Greg Rucka Spotlight panel in which he released this news, also got some bad news about whether or not there would be an upcoming Rucka/J.H. Williams III Batwoman series, to further flesh out the character. “I don’t know if I’ll ever get to do it,” he said. Rucka will instead focus on working on his Queen & Country series, as well as a few as-yet-undetermined projects.

For those who have been living under a rock, Rucka’s Detective Comics — particularly his rendition of this new Batwoman — has been getting rave reviews (including a few from us), not to mention winning a GLAAD Media Award. Best of luck on your new endeavors, Greg!

"There is no drama here, folks. It is as it appears," Rucka wrote this morning. "I’m stepping away from DC to pursue different opportunities. Nothing more nefarious than that. Nothing less sinister. Time is a commodity that is as precious to me as it is rare, and there’s simply not enough of it."

I know this only concerns to a couple of you but anyways...

Berserk #34 has a release date!! :2T: Dark Horse says that this book is gonna be for sale on August 25, 2010. Fucking A!!

And im happy that Gunnm Last Order #13 has a release date as well....