Hondo's Bar

Comic Industry News

The NZA

The Thanos Imperative: Ignition is out now.

Thanos-Imp-1_02.jpg

WARNING MASSIVE SPOILERS AHOY!

Mar-Vell (the real one) is lord of the Cancer-verse.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5527/lordmarvell.jpg

I remember there being a What If where he found a cure for his cancer which somehow made him a carrier of a contagious super-cancer that virulently spread throughout the galaxy.

• 1 month later...

switching Domino for Psylocke...well, i like both, if even just for eye candy. Did Vanisher die? i forget...just read the last issue & am waiting for Second Coming's finale, sine marvel dropped the ball and already launched the new X-book ahead of schedule ( :FHD: ). was ready to drop this title again, but might check it out for Fantomex, even if im not sure anyone past Grant knows what to do with him and his wacky ship.

• 11 months later...

Ok so from what *I've* read of X-men. (stopping at the beginning of X-force) if Warren gets his wings torn off, the DNA Apocalypse infused him with kicks in and he gets his razor wings and go to berserk Archangel mode.

Think of it like when Wolverine lost his adamatium.

He then hunts down the person who stole them till he can reclaim and reattach them.

In that book, there was this amazing painted scene where he got his wings back and...

Wolverine, who is narrating says that he had never seen death like he saw it that day. And it cuts to a painting of Warren, laying passed out and naked with his wings reattached over a pile of dead bodies. It gave me chills and I'd love it as a poster.

Well fucking played.

• 1 month later...

man, i love wood (you heard), dont know how good a match this is but following the "goes to hell" arc, i'm down for whatever that's not that. if he's got a plan, here's to hoping it doesnt get gutted like Rucka or even Larsen in the day.

...i forget, do we use this thread for industry gossip, or comics blargh? time to just merge em

"Marko Djurdjevic flips out at comic panel and quits Marvel"

"Around this time, Djurdjevic received a cord for his MacBook, cut Hickman off and began to share variations on his Spider-Man redesign. Coming from a video game background, Djurdjevic said he usually bills hourly. "Not in comics." Hickman said."

"Exactly — and you keep on doing it and doing it," Djurdjevic replied. "I was fighting with the guys at Marvel about this. You can't make people re-work your shit because you can't decide what you want. Either pay or leave."

"When I get hired for movie work or video game work, I get hired for my creativity," Djurdjevic said. "At Marvel, I get hired for what they know sells. It's really just a pigeon hole for an artist."
Asked by Epting if he wished he did more interior work while with Marvel, Djurdjevic replied, "They never put me with any writers that I liked," before launching into a tirade about Marvel and ripping into writer J. Michael Straczynski, whom he said writes "like toilet paper."

Mark Waid's twitter takes the high road:

"Dear #MarkoDjurdjevic : you will not be missed."

marko kinda goes crazy on his site sometimes

JMS responds

Joe Michael Straczynski has posted on Facebook his response to the reportage of Thursday night's Team Spirit panel at Fan Expo Toronto. And the words of a certain Marko Djurdjevic. However tempered by Jonathan Hickman.

Several folks have emailed to ask what I thought of Marko Djurdjevic's reported breakdown or tirade (depending on who's doing the asking) in which he savaged Marvel and said in passing that I "write like toilet paper."

I was at first concerned by this because I was pretty sure toilet that while one can write ON toilet paper, toilet paper itself doesn't actually write because it can't hold a pen, dictate or use a keyboard. Then I thought, maybe I missed something. I could be wrong. So I contacted the TPADL (Toilet Paper Anti-Defamation League) to get their response, which follows.

"We at the TPADL are tired of these sorts of baseless and discriminatory comments. We cannot and do not write, it is an ignorant and foolish comment. We are often written upon, but that is not the same thing and we should not be held responsible for that content. We had this same problem with the collected works of Jacqueline Susan and Harold Robbins. We didn't do it, we were simply the messengers for their shit. What Mr. Djurdjevic clearly meant to say, and would've said if he were sober, is that Straczynski writes like shit, a sentiment that all sentient life forms would agree with."

I thanked them for this clarification and for me the matter ends there, except to wish Mr. Djurdjevic the best. I think it's about time somebody in the comics business gave Charlie Sheen a run for his money, and I have absolute faith that Mr. Djurdjevic is just the man to do it. I stand beside him in solidarity, with confidence and with a roll of toilet paper poised and ready for his next missive. Go get 'em, Marko!

JMS also let us know that he has handed in the final pages for Superman: Earth One Vol 2. On digital toilet paper, obviously.

from Marko's FB:

Thanks to the asshole on comicbookresources for a completle biased and villainizing article. Next time, get your facts straight. Misqouting and purposefully changing the context of a conversation is the easiest way to portrait someone as a villain. Many thanks to my friends at Marvel who've been nothing but supportive over the years and especially in this situation.

And to clarify, I've survived worse stink than this. I know who I am and I know who he people who support me are. What pisses me off to no extent though is that a jackshit news coverage like this could have cost a newcomer his entire career. The guy who wrote the article clearly went for a pulitzer price, by adding all the fictional elements into a tongue in cheek conversation between three creators.

thoughts? i dunno, i think he's a great artist & this might be blown outta proportion but its hard for me to not see Marko as a huge dick here for airing out his grievances in public like that.

as an aside: (taken from original article) marketing has a bigger hand in these events than some are aware:

In a flurry, Hickman arrived about a quarter of the way through the panel. Apologetic, he immediately won the audience over, blaming his delayed flight for his late appearance. Almost breathless and cheeks glowing bright red, the writer jumped directly into the thick of the discussion, saying that rebranding the Fantastic Four wasn't really his plan when he took over the title.

"Steve came on and book sales kind of jumped up. Then we had this big event with Johnny dying," Hickman said. "Marketing saw a chance to rebrand the book, and so we decided to make a little bit more money and get a few more readers. It worked."

see, i remember reading the ben reilly files and thinking it was just typical heavy-handed editors in the day...i still stand that with all the new villains & stuff they were trying, if the clone saga hadn't pulled the switch between Reilly & Parker, it wouldve been like Age of Apocalypse: remembered as a big, fun 90s arc. Kaine, Traveller and lots of others were worth the cost of say Spidercyde and too much Jackal.

maybe from a writing perspective they're the same thing, i just thought editors telling you what to do/which characters needed to crossover into your book was different than marketing interjecting with sales #'s and saying a creative team needs to drop and the book needs to go in a "hot" new direction. maybe not?

Marvel probably is a pigeon hole for an artist, but I'm not sure why he wasn't aware of that going in. They aren't going to want you to be as creative as you can, especially for a cover artist. You're basically drawing advertisements.

Show off a main character, sell the book. I'm sure they're pretty specific and will reject anything too 'artsy'. "Um, yeah, can you just make Thor look realistic? And let's see some muscles. Thanks Djiudjijudjdjiudick, you're a peach."

It's improved a bit in recent years, but the business model that the comic book industry still uses to pay their artists can certainly fuck someone in the ass and no doubt be frustrating coming out of a different, more reasonable industry.

"I did a couple color sketches, and it just went into revision mode for the face paint forever and ever," he said, forever being about two weeks. "I think I made so many face variations for that character until they finally decided, 'Oh yeah, that's the one that people are going to recognize forever,'" Djurjevic recounted, mocking his editors in a high-pitched voice, yet again.

Most industries would pay you hourly for that, or keep you on a salary. 2 weeks? TWO WEEKS of redrawing shit until they get something they like, and you get paid once, by the page. For the one drawing that they approved.

It's not a place to be if you don't just love the work, because you will get screwed once you start dancing with the big companies.

I obviously haven't heard Marko D's panel, but from what I'm reading in the posts above, it just seems like he's a brash guy who likely thought he hit the big time when Marvel came a callin' yet found out the hard way how the big boys can screw over artists and vented during a panel. Hell, that's exactly the kind of shit I'd go to a panel to hear. Honest opinions on how the industry works and not just an hour of ass kissing other creators. And JMS's TPADL retort to Marko"TP" comment was infintely more lame than Marko's original statement. The guy is obviously speaking English as a second language and was trying to find a less vulgar way to say he writes like shit.

I honestly thought the treatment of artists in the industry had improved since the Image artists' exodus, but then again the biggest extent to which I ever followed "industry" news was reading Wizard. I think Logan probably has the most knowledge in this area.

So, Logans, is this Marko situation really something you feel is "love it or leave it" or do you think there's need for reform in the way the big boys handle artists? I agree, it's shit this guy works for two weeks on revising one piece. But the skeptic in me wants to say, "Really, Marko? Two weeks?" Couldn't he have just photoshopped a bunch of various facial expressions and e-mailed them in all at once?

I think Logan probably has the most knowledge in this area.

O RLY

i know gossip is entertaining, but no, if i was there, idve been pissed for him cutting off/being a dick to Brubaker & Epting. Marko does some impressive pieces (check page 2, those are his wraparound poster ones), i just thought it was kinda a weak way to go about burning bridges. Bru didn't do any of what he's on about.

and yeah, JMS' reply was corny, but the man's a good writer when he's on the right character. he just struck out big with supes & wonder woman, but he brought spidey back up (in the 616) and i dug Rising Stars & Midnight Nation.

but yeah, back to you, logans. i thought you nailed it with

You're basically drawing advertisements.

Show off a main character, sell the book. I'm sure they're pretty specific and will reject anything too 'artsy'. "Um, yeah, can you just make Thor look realistic? And let's see some muscles. Thanks Djiudjijudjdjiudick, you're a peach."

work-for-hire prolly isn't any less shitty than when comics made money back in the 90s and before that, i imagine. its funny how i can love this & the gaming industry, but couldnt see myself working for either.

So, Logans, is this Marko situation really something you feel is "love it or leave it" or do you think there's need for reform in the way the big boys handle artists? I agree, it's shit this guy works for two weeks on revising one piece. But the skeptic in me wants to say, "Really, Marko? Two weeks?" Couldn't he have just photoshopped a bunch of various facial expressions and e-mailed them in all at once?

I'm not really sure it can be fixed, honestly. The industry is driven by completed pages delivered. There are a lot of outfits out there that are more than happy to let someone do their thing and create what they feel is best. Marvel ain't one of 'em. They've got entire generations of history, plus movies and toys to sell. You wanna start mucking with their universe, you've gotta play by their rules. You wanna draw Wolverine and get payed for it, you're gonna draw the Wolverine that they approve of. The longer you fuck around with it, the longer it's gonna take you to get that check.

He's kind of being egomaniacal if he thought they were going to treat him any differently than every other artist they've ever employed. The dude is talented, no doubt, but they could tap some painter from Deviantart tomorrow and have him gleefully producing gorgeous covers to their precise specifications, and they know it. He should know it too. Artists are hired thugs.

It's a bit hypocritical that I have less sympathy here for the artists than I do for the writers.

The guy makes some points, and since he's coming from other fields with more logical pay scales I can sympathize with his frustration. He's still being an asshole.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
-Later that night author Chris Roberson (Cinderella, iZombie, Superman) tweets that he's quitting DC Comics citing his moral objections to the ill treatment of its creators over the years. Roberson's last work for the company will be the finale of iZombie and a Fairest arc that's already been scripted.

-DC doesn't waste time. In another tweet, Roberson tells followers that DC has decided that his services are no longer required. He'll be paid for any unpublished work completed, and that work will likely remain unpublished.