Hondo's Bar

Comic Industry News

The NZA

Fucking Erik Larson. I like the guy, but since I've started following him on Twitter, all he's done is annoy me. He never shuts up. Everyday its this. Even when DC and Marvel HAVEN'T fucked someone that day. This. Bah! Defending the rights of his fellow comic creators is fine, but then he starts talking about Alex Ross ruining comics with his realism. WTF? Saying some shit like: "not saying he did directly, but he did." Seriously, guy? Fucking hypocrite.

damn, i guess that one hit home with him.

Larsen used to fascinate me when i was @ CBR (ugh, those forums...), cause you could see him and Peter David really go at each other, even back when Erik was (i wanna say?) new to heading Image. i kinda gained some respect for the direction he took it in at the time, and i can't recall if i ever saw him publicly have a fit but always imagined he was pissy about Bendis dropping them for an exclusive, seemingly forever contract with Marvel.

You fanboys really amaze me man.

Roberson: I don't want to renew my contract after I'm done with these books. You seem to have unscrupulous business practices.

DC: You're fucking fired.

Larsen: That's it, I'm not working for those guys anymore.

Fans: What a bunch of whiny bitches.

yeah, im not sure what they're on about either - i looked into image and the others back when a close friend of mine and i were talking about writing/drawing a book in college, and image's then deal aside, it looked like a nightmare. i tend to lean towards the creator's end ever since, if not for the awful track record of having their rights stomped on, then seeing their visions/characters turned into something else entirely, and them not given their due.

maybe im immune to Larsen here cause i think Alex Ross is an ass, though. if you don't like drama, aside from not following these guys, you're pretty safe with the well-paid stock: follow Bru, Bendis, Johns etc. these guys rarely have a negative thing to say.

^edit: yeah, Miller's fucking nuts, has been for a while ( again i love the pedo-looks he gives on DVD extras talking about how sexual superheroes are) and i lost a bit've respect for JMS after that last stint, id never seen him take classless shots like that before.

Oh. Well, you can see how it's rather simple to assume you were referring to the incident directly preceding your comment. Ignore that then.

Frank Miller may actually be retarded. He writes like action movies, and he's good with pacing. He did some really innovative shit back in the day, no doubt, but he's an artist; not a writer.

JMS can eat a dick.

But I will never judge their creations by their personal character. That's like hating Catcher in the Rye because J.D. Salinger whines about your taste in music.

I wasn't talking about what happened to Roberson (which is fucked up). I'm talking about Larson ALWAYS sticking his two cents in. If you have to start a sentence with "I don't know if it needs to be said..." THEN DON'T SAY IT! I've been following him Twitter for a while and its always this! You are just NOW seeing his comments and think this is guy coming to the rescue of a spurned colleague. No, although this is one of the times that he seems like he knows what he's talking about. Most of the time... this is NOT the case.

Yeah, an artist having a shitty personality doesn't effect my enjoyment of their work unless their personality bleeds in a bit too much (I'm starting to think this may, in fact, be my problem with Alan Moore): Harlan Ellison is the one exception to the rule, his antisocial crankiness just makes his shit better.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Stan Lee media suing Disney for Billions

Stan Lee Media, Inc. has sought legal action against Disney, who now owns Marvel's properties, for profits earned from various movies and merchandise sales for characters originally created by the Generalissimo, Stan Lee. The claim is asking for around a hefty $5.5 billion dollars in damages.

In the legal complaint filed on October 9 (courtesy of Deadline), the defendant is identified as the Walt Disney Company, and the claim states that the ownership of the characters by Disney is false. Stan Lee Media brought the claim that they deserve "maximum statutory damages allowable" and control over rights of such characters as The Avengers, Iron Man, Spider-man, The X-Men, and others, even though Stan Lee isn't involved with the firm anymore. SLMI now seek to bring this case to a jury trial.

In the suit, SLMI states that Stan Lee signed over the rights of the comic book characters to make a future corporate predecessor in October 1998. Stan Lee was paid for the rights in shares of Stan Lee Media, Inc., although the shares were deemed worthless in the late nineties after the burst of the internet bubble, causing the firm to go bankrupt in 2001. SLMI now shares the amended version of the agreement, claiming that the document points to their rights for the Marvel properties. However, the complaint states that Stan Lee signed off the characters to Marvel, to which rights is now transferred to Disney after their acquisition of the comic company for $4 billion dollars in August 2009.

Looks like Stan Lee's former company has an uphill battle, since they do claim the ownership of Marvel's characters along with billions of dollars from the profitable films and sales. However, there is an update by a Walt Disney spokesperson who responded to the claim:

"
This lawsuit is without merit, it arises out of the same core facts and legal claims that have been rejected by three federal district court judges.
"

Well, I guess it seems like their case won't be going through. If anything else comes up, we'll definitely let you know.

Edited by axel_napalm

• 4 months later...

comic con info dropping, and i'm too lazy to find all the threads it'd go in so here goes:

ECCC: DC COMICS THE NEW 52 LIVE!

"Justice League of America" came up including the incoming backup in the series focusing on Martian Manhunter. "I always throught Superman would be the hardest character to write, but Martian Manhunter is like Superman with mind powers which is even harder," Kindt said. He explained that the backups will not only play off the main feature by Finch and Geoff Johns. It will also tell the Manhunter's origin in the New 52.

Snyder called "Batman" #19 and 20 "my ode to 'Batman: The Animated Series'" promising a fun adventure story before moving on to the next epic arc. He described the incoming 11-part story starting in #21 will be completely stand alone with no event launching from it. Snyder is looking forward to telling a stand alone tale akin to his "Black Mirror" serial.

Tynion talked about the future of Talon as in the wake of issue #5 the full cast has been set into place including regular villains. "This is where things really start ramping up...we're going to get more information on how the Court of Owls operates now, and we're going to meet the current grandmaster of the Court of Owls and understand that a bit more...there's a very major figure coming up that nobody is expecting, and it's going to be really cool," he said,

Higgins spoke on the incoming move to Chicago for Nighting, saying, "This is kind of our huge opus Nightwing story." He and artist Brett Booth "are looking to world build" making the Windy City its own history and mysteries as it relates to the superheroes of the DCU.

Lemire spoke about a number of his upcoming plans including what's next for "Green Arrow." He said that the popularity of The CW's "Arrow" allowed him to give the book a brand-new start to draw in new readers. The writer will be developing the world of the island that Oliver Queen lived on when he became Green Arrow, using it to introduce new villains like Komodo, but he'll also soon bring back many classic GA villains into the fold.

Fraction will do an issue about sign language when Hawkeye's hearing is damaged again.

lettered Age of Ultron preview

1362165705.jpg

All Skottie Young Variants being collected!!!

The Age of Ultron begins this month, and opens with an already destroyed Marvel Universe, having been conquered by the robotic despot. Little detail was given about this long-teased event, other than it being sold as Bendis’s swan-song on the Avengers, and also ending in a colossal reveal that will lead into another event following.

Editorial refused to give up any information upon the recently teased “First” storyline, despite prompts from the audience. Threats of death from the highest powers were mentioned.

Creators on the panel also had the following reveals for their own respective titles:

- Captain Marvel is about to have a crossover with Avengers Assemble. It begins in May with Enemy Within #1. Despite involving Carol Danvers and the connotations a title like that bring up, Deconnick insists that it has nothing to do with Ms. Marvel’s Immortus cosmic rape-baby-thing storyline, and further that she would never ever use that story in any of her books. Scott Hepburn is the new artist on the book.

- Morbius will continue to have his character re-established in the first 5 issues of his own series, and will become part of the larger Marvel U again in issue #6 and #7, featuring an appearance by the Superior Spider-man.

- Deadpool’s current story will wrap with issue 6, and from there he’ll have a stand alone story that puts him in the 1980′s, messing with Demon in a Bottle era Tony Stark. Dugan promises the title will have moments with more horrifying implications in the future, as well as an appearance by the Superior Spider-man.

-Elaborating on his pitch from Saturday, Fraction clarified that the murder mystery in Hawkeye #11 will be solved by Pizza Dog. In all seriousness. Also FF will feature a pool party, Yancy Street, a Skrull Ben Franklin, the Big Bang, and the Big Crunch… perhaps not in that order.

- Humphries will be introducing the West Coast Ultimates, including Wonderman, Vision, Black Knight, Tigra and Quake. Uncanny X-Force will be delving into Bishop’s life while he was trapped at the end of time, and Fantomex and Betty’s relationship will be examined before bringing the return of a big and classic X-villain.

- Mark Waid’s lucid dreaming led him to a story about Daredevil behind the wheel of an epic car chase, so expect that to eventually make it into an issue. Meanwhile, the villain behind everything since DD #1 will finally be revealed. Over in Indestructible Hulk, Walt Simonson joins the title for a 3-issue arc with Hulk and Thor battling frost giants, before Hulk an Daredevil have a team-up.

• 3 weeks later...

Neil Gaiman Returns to Marvel (Age of Ultron spoilers)

Later this year, writer Neil Gaiman makes his return to Marvel Comics. According to The New York Times, the "Sandman" and "Eternals" writer will re-enter the Marvel Universe with a collaboration on the final issue of "Age of Ultron" with writer Brian Michael Bendis before co-writing "Guardians of the Galaxy" #5.

Perhaps even more intriguing is the announcement that Gaiman plans to introduce Angela to the Marvel U, a character the writer originally created as part of Todd McFarlane's "Spawn" mythology. Gaiman won a long-running legal battle in 2012 , awarding the co-creator 50-percent ownership of the character with McFarlane. While a crossover between two publishers is hardly unprecedented, this is the first time a character from another publisher has been introduced with the intent of being a larger part of the other's universe.

"We were looking for a good entry point to tease our fans and to let them know [Angela] was going to be a major player [in the Marvel Universe]," CCO Joe Quesada told the Times. Marvel's Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso likened Angela's appearance in the final issue of AoU to "the post-credit scenes in one of our Marvel studio movies," saying it's designed to get fans hungry for more.

Gaiman was already slated to make his comics comeback this fall with Vertigo's "Sandman" prequel illustrated by artist J.H. Williams III, but his return to Marvel opens up a number of other possibilities. Gaiman was well known for his attempts to obtain the rights to Marvelman/Miracleman, writing "Marvel 1602" in 2003 specifically to fund a legal fight over the character. Marvel announced it had acquired the Marvelman rights in 2009 and began printing previously-released material by the character's creator Mick Anglo, but the disposition of the rights -- and whether Marvel has the legal capacity to print new material featuring the character -- is still not publicly known. However, given Gaiman's new relationship with Marvel, the possibility that he'll write the character again in new stories seems stronger than ever.

"I know that we’ve been trying our best to reach out to all the creators involved, but I believe there are still a few that we either haven’t heard back from or that we still need current contact info for," then-Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada said following Marvel's announcement in 2009. "And yes, that night, after the announcement, when I finally got back to my hotel room, my email inbox was filled with creators who had ideas and pitches. It really is thrilling to see what this character brings out in the creative community.

Stay tuned to CBR News for more on this story as it develops.

Gaiman is the only person allowed to touch MM, and I'd really like him to finish that story. Moore doesn't count, because it's an impossibility.

So anything that makes that closer to happening is a-okay in my book.

Anyone else and I start flipping tables.

I kind of get the impression that Marvel doesn't have the rights to make new material or reprint the Warrior re-boot books though. From a financial perspective, why wouldn't they reprint the Moore/Gaiman run? It's the only thing anyone gives a shit about, and it would sell like a motherfucker. I think they only own the rights to the painful golden age shit and they just don't wanna admit it.

Edited by Thrizzle

Considering Moore never had the rights to begin with, the whole thing is a legal stygian knot that I don't think will ever be unraveled. The only thing I know in my heart with certainty is that Todd McFarlane gets NOTHING. Seriously fuck that guy. Fuck him to Hell

• 4 months later...