Hondo's Bar

Comic book movies

taken from Comic Book Resources.com

Daredevil writer/director Mark Steven Johnson has said in recent interviews that the character's renaissance in the comic books has reignited his passion for the medium. Not surprisingly the movie pays homage to past and present creators.

Of course Stan Lee is making one of his patented cameos in the film, playing the elderly gent that Matt Murdock saves while sacrificing his vision.

Kevin Smith, whose run on the book marked the beginning of a new era for the man without fear, also filmed a bit role in the movie. His character was named after none other than Marvel legend Jack Kirby.

Comics2Film has learned of two more nods to comic creators that'll be found in the film. At this past weekend's Motor City Comic-Con David Mack, whose "Parts of a Hole" story arc followed Smith's, gave us the scoop.

Mack told us to watch for characters named Mack and Bendis. Brian Michael Bendis, of course, is the current writer on the book. Mack did not say if either comic creator would visit the set.

daredevil_1stlook.jpg

There you have it...Affleck's the Man Without Fear.  Tho i'dve preferred Damon or better yet Norton, i think he'll do fine, he's done the Irish thing before.  The rest of the casting call's out too, only guy i remember is Kingpin played by the big black guy in "Green Mile", i think he's great for it.  Elektra & Bullseye are in as well.

Comic movie licenses are hotter than ever right now, which may or may not be a good thing.  Expect to see this one, as well as Hulk, Ghost Rider, Spider-Man & X-Men 2, Punisher, and Dr Strange, possibly even Namor: Sub-Mariner, Fantastic Four, and finally Iron Man (the one role i think Nick Cage would be great for).  I'm excited, by I hope we dont fall back into the 80's version of this, where were just churnin out crap. I truly hope both X-Men & Spider-Man were starting points, at least for those series.

i think he'll do fine, he's done the Irish thing before

I have to say I don't really know the character too well, is he Irish?

I'd heard about the movie, I reckon if it's any good, Colin Farrell who's playing Bullseye, will come out better than Affleck.

(For SuperE:)

2274.jpgfarrell_colin1.jpg

Don't forget Spider-Man 2, already underway (struggling to contain self). Are far as I've heard, the only ones of those scheduled for summer 2003 are X-Men 2, Daredevil and Hulk. Is that correct, or are we seeing any others summer 2003. And where the hell is DC in all this? I know the comics industry is more than Marvel and DC, but as far as recognizible superhero characters, it's mostly between DC and Marvel, and DC ain't showing any intent to make films. You know how (especially in Marvel), characters from other comics jump in and out of other comics like it's no big deal. I'm pretty sure it used to be a big deal, something worthy of big letters on the cover and such. Since all these comic movies are being produced around the same time, I think I'd be cool if maybe a few X-Men cameoed in Hulk or something. Probably a bad idea actually, but nice to think about it. Anyway, IC, didn't you give me a hard time a little while back about topics going in the right place? I believe your rant included how comic based movies belong in the movies forum, not the comic forum. Not that I care, it's just curious to me that you did and now your posting without attention to proper factionization.

Only problem is Marvel don't make the movies, the movie rights have been sold to various companies, so I dunno if we'll ever get any crossovers.

As for DC, they may have a resurgence, there's Batman:Year One and Catwoman on the way, the reason there aren't others in the pipeline is cos they don't seem as secure an investment as Marvel.

Remember, Marvel over the last couple of years have gotten a lot of new readers by aggressive business tactics, DC have kept their heads down and are suffering for that.

DC's doin nothin of the sort.  The Superman movie's still somewhere in limbo, League of Extrordinary Gentlemen has already landed Connery, Batman: Year One has a chance at kickin all of these movies' asses courtesy of Anoughsky, Green Lantern is up for production, Catwoman, rumors of a Justice League one...and that's before their Vertigo label.

Preacher, Hellblazer (Nick Cage, for now) & Transmetropolitan (very possibly Patrick Stewart, that'd be badass) are all gettin films, albeit low-budget.

As for thread relevancy...dont get cute Jack.  This forum's a slow one, and this is a thread bout a comic license, albeit one ya didnt mention much of.  The example youre usin was of a thread on a comic no one's readin and you talked bout everythin but it. Bein a visual art, one can easily compare comics to cinema, i just try to keep this forum somewhat relevant - its not gonna get bigger till i get more actual comic fans on it, but till then, it'll go for quality over quantity, like the Lyceum, if i can help it.

Hasn't Superman been in the works for years? I guess Spidey was too though. Anyway, as for the movie thing, sorry just thought you had a certain policy and I thought this went against it, so I was confused. That's all. Jeesh. So...how about that Affleck as the Daredevil? Huh? Yeah! Woo! Yeah! Good stuff.

Why aren't they putting the little double D on the outfit's breast (at least it looks like it's not there)?

Yeah, Supes' been goin for years, always wanted to read that Kevin Smith script - damn thing's on my drive, just never got around to it.  Damned if i know when that film's seein the light of day, but the recent sucess of comic flicks should all but ensure it.

Hmm...now that you mention it, where the fuck is the DD symbol?  Wonder if it made the costume look hokey or somethin? Kinda hope they keep it, but then again if it really looks shitty i can do without - he's pretty obviously Daredevil, unlike Dolph Lundgren's Punisher, who was just a guy in a skull-less shirt.  :D

Funny, i've been tellin Yahven that Daredevil's logo would make a great one for this site as well.  Hey, you think Affleck's trippin all over the place in that blind suit?

I just noticed something you said above. A Namor movie?!? Namor is just Marvel's really sad and blatent attempt to have an Aquaman parallel character, and Aquaman has be something of a joke for a while now too. I know, there have been some relly cool incarnations of him, especially when they put emphasis on his king of atlantis role and he looks more like posiden than a gay gymnist, but he'll never live down his trite superfriends style years. Anyway, the point is, Namor's even worse.

Also, forget a Justice League movie. Movie studios always insist on the first movie they do in a (potential) series being an origin story. And besides, they are always best when they deal with character delevopement over plot, and the Justice League has way too many characters. I mean read Bruce Timm's take on doing a JL animated series. He only agreed to doing it if he could make all 2-or-3-part episodes, have only 7 characters, only include all 7 characters in the 3-parters (never all 7 in a 2-parter), and never have more than two heroes fighting in a shot at once. So far, JL animated has been great, and that's no small feat with so many character, but it wouldn't work as a film. Just look at X-Men, I like the movie, but look who many important charcters got bit roles or even cameos. The only real characters (and by that I mean developed round characters) were Wolverine, Rogue, and Xavier (unless I'm forgetting one). All these otehr important characters were just foils for those three characters. I'm not complaining too much because I know it would have really hurt the movie to try to concentrate it on more than that.

Anyway, I'm not sure what Affleck doign in that suit. Do you think those eye cover can come off, or do you think he has to take the whole mask off in order to see?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm still not convinced about Affleck being DD (I would have picked Brad Pitt, myself...at least he can act) but I'll hold off my judgement until I see it. I am becoming impressed with the director, though. He seems to know just the right DD stories to reference, just the right character elements to add to the script, and he's even planning on making an R-rated cut of the movie for when they produce the DVD.

By the way, the Superman movie is farther along than it ever has been, now that they've signed on a director - McG (of Charlie's Angels fame). But the production on the movie can't even start until McG finishes his sequel to Angels, and last I checked that isn't scheduled to be out until 2004.

You have to watch out for that Brad Pitt thing there, Bob. I do it myself. I'll be watching a movie or reading about a movie in production and think to myself: Brad Pitt would be way better for this! Unfortuneately, he is, according to all sources so far, still just a man. He can only make so many movies. I still think if they ever have Gambit in an X-Men sequel...Brad Pitt's the x-man for the job! He's slick, he's cool, and he's proven he can do any accent or dialect you throw at him. He would be the ultimate Ragin Cajin!

Hey, I know the guy's in high demand, but in a perfect world he could play all those perfect roles. And I think Matty Murdock woulda been a good role for him. But ah well. I can live with Affleck. On the bright side, he always acts with his chin, anyway, and now his chin is the only thing visible. Maybe it was a good idea. 'S still nice to imagine how the more talented Pitt could have done the roll. Yes, the man of many accents. Though I hear he never could nail a London accent...hence his role of the Pikey in Snatch.

Nice pic, Chiefy.  Couple quick things:

1)Namor predates Aquaman by quite a bit, as i recall (he's actually one of Marvel's first characters).  But he's far more lame, most times.  Only time i think i liked him was in a story called "Earth X", Marvel's "Kingdom Come".

2)Team movies are gonna do that, yeah, but then the books do it a lot as well...you think you wanna hear more bout Iceman, Nightcrawler etc but most times, ya dont; a 5-10 minute origin bit in the movie bout covers it.  Remember, outside of Wolvy & a few others, X-Men's a team of somewhate interestin characters (much more so than JLA or Averngers, i think) that still arent 3-D enough to hold their own in solo stories.

3)Bob - thanks for the Superman info, please keep us informed of any comic movie projects you come across.

Aquaman's first appearance was in "More Fun Comics" #73 (1941) and Namor's first appearance was in "Fantastic Four (Vol. 1)" #4 (1962). Sweet pic of Elektra there, chief! And Bob, are you sure Pitt took on the Pikey roles just because he couldn't master a London accent?

Yeah. I remember Guy Ritchie mentioning it in a documentary. Apparently Pitt was a huge fan of Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, so he asked Ritchie for a part in Snatch - any part. Ritchie tested him and realized that Pitt just couldn't quite portray a Londoner, so he gave him the Pikey role. Re-wrote it a bit for him, too, if I remember right.

Didnt know that bout Pitt, interestin.  

Jack - Actually, Namor (the 1st Marvel character after the original "Human Torch") 1st appeared in "Marvel Comics #1" as well as "Motion Picture Funnies Weekly" (1939), but thanks for playing.

For what its worth, both characters - especially Aquaman - have had some really good runs on their solo books (Peter David's stint comes to mind, redid the character from the ground up), worth checking out before knockin em.

Thanks again for the pic Chief, ill post more on Daredevil when i see it.

Hmm...yeah, the costumes are a lil different, but again, if it looks better, go with it - I really didnt want Wolvy in the gold & blue for X-Men, ya know? Glad they ditched it.  

But i see your point; the DD's not a bad detail, oughta be there.  Elektra might get headbands later, who knows - i think the sais are more important.

JMT - Heh...all i did was prove m'self the bigger comic dork, not exactly the kinda thing one benefits society with/scores with a lot, ya know? :D

There are hot chicks out there turned on by dorks, I know it! They're just never around! And I was ashamed becasue I knew you were right, I guess threw you false imforamation hoping you wouldn't call me on it. Anyway, teh best part about the X-Men movie costume thign was the joke. "You actually go on in daylight with these things on?" "Would you prefer yellow spandex?"