Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Damn, doesnt sound like many hits there, outside of Y....this week's books are a short order too, ill post reviews in a wee bit.

For non-new stuff, i just downloaded s'more of the cult favorites i never read, like Mage and Concrete, more on them when i get to read em some...

The Walking Dead # 16 - Damn good issue. 15 was insane; this one built off of that, lotta great plot twists here. This is one of the best books out there right now.

The Punisher # 18 - You know, i loved the first arc of this Ennis MAX take on Frank, but felt that last irish one was...eh.

But ive really enjoyed this arc, "Mother Russia", enough to buy the trade (seeing Ennis' take on Fury again doesnt hurt it either). Anyway, this issue ties up the arc, and it was a cool-ass ending too, a bit like watching Where Ealges Dare by the director of Die Hard...anyway, i hope he's got more in stock like this one.

X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (one shot, not the mini) - This was fun, just a few side-stories setting up things like the origin of Colossus leading Generation Next, as well as (beginning to) say how this timeline still exists...its a few short stories, but theyre solid, if youre a fan of the classic arc.

Shanna the She-Devil # 2 - # 1 was fun, but now im losing a bit of interest...

Flaming Carrot Comics # 1 - Fun, but im chalking this one up with Mage, Cerebus and Madman so far, under "fan cults built around this title i dont get". They cant all be Bone, i guess.

Also, I'm gonna get back onto Gotham Central soon (coulda sworn id made a thread on that one?), and im about 4 or 5 issues in, but She-Hulk is good fun, like Peter David's 2nd volume of Captain Marvel: it works as a parody piece of the Marvel Universe with a bit of plot here & there.

Ultimate Nightmare got my hyped bout that trilogy, and you gotta admit, on Ultimate X-Men, Vaughan is making some of the lamest X-villians look interestin.  Arcade, for godsake..

Man, anyone who's seen an episode of Queer-eye could make Arcade look cool. Fuuuuuck.

Classics29.gif

But in other news, read the latest

Ultimate Spiderman #72: Story arc's called Hobgoblin, and Harry Osbourn is back with a pretty big fuckin' axe to grind(he was used as a decoy so Nick Fury could empty a few clips in his dad's back). The pleasant lil' surprise in the form of exactly where his resentment is coming from is cool though...

New Avengers #2: Yeah, this Bendis fella seems to be handlin' his shit aight across the board. Electro breaks out every fuckin' prisoner in the Slab, and it's pure convenience that Daredevil, Spiderwoman, & Power Man(Luke Cage, natch) all happen to be there @ the time, with Cap & Spidey en route. Oh, and if someone could inform me what the fuckin' story with Carnage is these days, that's be great. Last I saw Venom/Brock took the symbiote from Kasady & ate it. Not that I'm complaining mind. S'okay tho, Sentry ran him up into space and tore him in half...

Edited by Skeeter

New Avengers #3: Cap wants to bring the clean-up crew from the Slab jail-break together to form the New Avengers, but who's in, who's not, and who's playin' double/triple agent?

Ultimate Spiderman #73: The week leading up to Harry Osborn's return is fleshed out as that fuckin' Bendis makes us wait to find out if it's gonna be Harry in the Hobgoblin garb...

Fuckin' Bendis...

AND WHERE THE FUCK IS ULTIMATES #4!?!?!?!?

Aaahh. FINALLY!!

Ultimates #4: Banner's outta sight & outta mind as we meet Ultimate Captain Britain(as well as captain Italy, captain Brazil, and captain Khazakstaaan. no joke) and Thor's origin is revealed. Trust me, it's worth the cover price for that alone...

Ultimate Spiderman #74: Bendis is REALLY draggin' this one out(or I'm too impatient), but still no affirmative action yet. More o'that dialogue shit he's famous for as Harry tries to get his missus back & Petey ain't helpin' matters by crying lots and yelling @ Mary Jane. Sooner he has a breakdown & becomes Ultimate Yellowjacket the better!

AoA gear is in, so I'll keep y'all posted.

Yeah, Ultimates # 4 was damn good, he's still got me halfway guessin on Thor's origin (i wanna give 'im the benefit of the doubt...)

I'm enjoyin the Hobgoblin arc in Ultimate Spidey, but yeah, he is takin his time on it. I'm hopin its big, cause the book's felt anti-climactic for me since the Carnage arc, though i do agree with Peter yellin a bit.

Utimate X-Men finished off the fun "Most Dangerous Game" arc with a twist, and its, uh, got me askin uncomfortable qeustions about Collossus...

Rising Stars: finale: ill post a review in that book's thread, for JMS fans.

I reviewd Ex Machina # 9 over in its respective thread; that was my pick of the week right there. Ive got more to read, but in the movie hype, i looked at this Star Wars: General Grevious dark horse mini # 1, wasnt bad, but Yoda & the counicl seem like assholes.

I'm behind on the end of Jim Lee's Superman run, as well as Marvel Teamup and Invincible.

I'm enjoyin the Hobgoblin arc in Ultimate Spidey, but yeah, he is takin his time on it.  I'm hopin its big, cause the book's felt anti-climactic for me since the Carnage arc, though i do agree with Peter yellin a bit.

Since the Carnage arc? I thought the Carnage arc was one of the most anti-climactic yet. I think it's one of Bendis' very few weaknesses - sometimes he just can't seem to pay off what he sets up (god I hope that doesn't happen with Secret War).

Yeah, Ultimate Thor could still go either way, huh? I'm quite happy not to give'im the benefit of doubt tho. STRING THE HIPPY UP!!! I'm with Sibob on the carnage arc, tho. I'm a lil' worried about Lex Luthor: Man of Steel actually, more & more I've been noticing what a hit-&-miss writer Azzarello is...

Just finished up Ultimate X-Men, Nick. Where the fuck do you get off questioning Collosus' sexual preference? Ultimate Collosus is aaall about the pussy! Also read

Exiles #62(i think):The wrap up of the AoA tie-in, and Holocaust & Sabetooth have replaced Beak & Sasquatch on the team(thank fuck Beak's gone) as they use Apocalypse's M'Kraan crystal & the team's Tallus to storm the Timekeeper's stronghold. Apparently things are never going to be the same again.

So, Skeet, was Exiles worth it for the tie-in? And cmon, I'm not questioning Ultimate Collosus' orientation; Vaughan is...

This week:

New Avengers # 4 - When you one month's too awesome to be topped, the next one proves you wrong. And this story is movin at a great speed too; those bitchin about Bendis' decompressed style in DD got nothin here. I cant believe how much fun BMB is havin with the awkwardness on this team, and the interaction with S.H.I.E.L.D....he's tyin the Marvel U together in ways it needed years ago.

I wonder if this is gonna tie into Secret War much, whenever that book finishes? Either way, one of marvel's best out there right now, cant recommend it enough.

Wolverine # 26 - "Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D." officially started, and this book sets it off with Gorgon's origin, as well as some shocking moments with Wolvy vs SHIELD members...Millar's having fun with the villian end of the Marvel U, tying up Hydra & The Hand and all, and i cant wait to see where he goes with it.

Daredevil # 71 - "Decalogue" part 1, and it looks like BMB is revisiting the angle that brought DD into one of my favorites to begin with: the lost year of him as Kingpin, and he's sure shooting for epic, if the arc's name doesnt portry that enough. Maleev's pencils are even better than before, in some instances (as if the "Golden Age" arc didnt floor me), but i gotta admit, if you dont know DD, that cover looks like a bold man gettin ready to skip rope.

Oh, but this issue's all talk, and no DD really, so anti-decompressionists might wanna wait for the trade.

In other news, i officially dont know what the fuck Loeb is doing anymore in Lee's arc on Superman, but at least its pretty.

Ive still got Black Panther, 100 Bullets, Runaways and the last issue of Ultra to read later, so it was a good week. :D

100 Bullets # 59 - The group's gettin back together, slowly, after a major player got taken out last issue...and i think a decent chunk of the plot/plan came ou here too. It was a good stand-alone issue, much less settin up the next arc; if feels like Azarello had this thing set by the time he did # 1, and i cant wait to see where it goes, much less share it in trade when its done.

also, if youve read thsi far, its nothin new, but....Lono is one evil motherfucker.

Runaways vol 2, # 2: I think I'm enjoying this volume more than the last, and that's saying a lot. I thought there was really nothing to work with after volume 1 ended, but the plot for this one, playing with forgotten teen heroes and future shit...between this and Ex Machina, Vaughan is amazing.

Ultra: A slow last issue, but the overall mini was really enjoyable for what was basically a "Sex and the City" chick superhero book...i'd like to see more from the Luna brothers.

Gettin back to She-Hulk later too, last arc was pretty funny.

also, if youve read thsi far, its nothin new, but....Lono is one evil motherfucker.

Tell us something we don't know...

Runaways vol 2, # 2: I think I'm enjoying this volume more than the last, and that's saying a lot.  I thought there was really nothing to work with after volume 1 ended, but the plot for this one, playing with forgotten teen heroes and future shit...between this and Ex Machina, Vaughan is amazing.

Dont forget Y: The Last Man, either.

Anyways, I gots

Ultimate Secret #1: One may think a relatively 'outside-the-square' writer like Ellis might've taken a chill pill since writing for Marvel. No such animal tho. It may not be a homicidal Outlaw Journalist(*sign of cross* we miss you Spider) but the first issue of the second Volume of the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy does NOT disappoint. The tech is off the scale cool, and Steve McNiven's rendering of Ultimate Capt. Marvel is TIGHT!!

Marvel Knights Spiderman #12 The big pay-off. The brawl for it all. The final Showdown. Aunt May's life hangs in the balance as Osbourn & Parker duke it out, until a Government-brainwashed Dr Octopus turns up to assasinate Norman. Anyone know who's picking up writing duties on this title next?

Astonishing X-men #9 Fleshing out the angry Danger room story some more. I know the pencils are tight, and Whedon's prolly going somewhere with this, it's really just like when Cerebro became sentient & started hunting Muties down. Oh, except for the look of wonder on Wolverine's face when Collosus goes to work and he's like "Wow. Pete's really back."

On the matter of Astonishing, did anyone else who read Runaways #2 recognise the leader of the X-men in the Future? I swear Brian K Vaughan is a walking reference point.

Damn, cant wait till this week's books, lot to look forward too it seems...and youre right, Y: The Last Man is fuckin excellent too.

I'm gonna go check Runaways # 2 now, see what i spot...Victorious already seems cool, with that power of his.

Who's your money on paternity-wise, mate? I reckon Magneto'd be WAY too obvious a choice. And Doom's already sired a bastard issue(sort of). I love how on the cover, there's the Marvel U's "Greatest Evils" and Dr. Octopus. Fuckin' hilarious...

Nah, Kang's younger self has already turned up in Young Avengers, so that'd be a repeat. I'm thinking Electro-magnetic manipulation is just the beginning of his abilities. Drawing the correlation between Manchu & Doom based strictly on name would be a total letdown. What other big-villians haven't we seen for a while that could've fathered a kid? And is possibly dead(Victor said his mum didn't wanna lose him like his dad).

Should we take this to a Runaways thread?

Yeah...yeah, we should. I could definitely talk more about that book.

This week, so far:

Secret War # 4: Fuck, it showed up. Page 1 has one of the coolest Wolverine's ive seen in a while... :D

It's good, action-packed, you get to se D'otello really do big fight scenes, and its all about to tie up in the last issue. I dont see this one having as big implications as it originally looked to have, but its been fun, and damn sure looks good (even got pnups inna back).

Ultimate Secret # 1 - Im with Skeet here; Ultiamte Captain Marvel might be cool. Ellis is havin way too much fun writing sci-fi/technology stuff lately between this, Iron Man & Ultimate FF.

Astonishing X-Men # 9 - Damn, i think ive seen this "Danger Room rebels" thing once before, but this is gettin interesting, Whedon might have a new cool villian. I think i ended out a lot more hyped about next month's issue, tho..you guys see taht cover i posted before? damn.

Next this week: NYX, DC's Coutndown, Seven Soldier, and maybe that AOA stuff. In queve are the rest of She-Hulk & District X, but its gonna be a while...

well i finally finished Identity Crisis, but that don't matter, what i wanna know is should i try'n collect Secret war? is it worth it? 'cause the books asre all down at the shop, it's just the first couple of issues aren't running cheap, so i wanna make sure this is primo bendis before i blow that kinda dosh

Hmm...well, the art's gorgeous, and if you enjoy classic marvel Secret War type shit (all the big charcaters come out & take on a ton of villians, etc), youll dig it, but lemme see how it ends before you go throwin down a lot for it.

At this rate, it shoudl tie up by summer or so.

I've found it worth buying for the art alone, but Bendis is doing pretty good. It's one issue away from finishing, though, so unless you're really into collecting single issues I'd say at this point you might as well wait for a trade. I'm sure they'd have one out by the end of the year or so.

good week, last week! I'm gonna start highlighting what i call my "best of the week", a la the4thrail, and its not an easy one to go with this time, cause there've been a few good ones so far...

Ultimate Spider-Man # 75 - Bendis is still toyin with me...the arc's still in the process of heatin up, and ive no idea what happened at the end, but it could be cool.

Marvel Knights: Spider-Man # 12 - Finally, the arc comes to a close, and it was a great Spidey story, i think: Millar coudnt resist revisiting some classic moments, but considering how sick i am of "its all about Osborn!" stories, this one was good. I'm not a big enough fan to buy the trade, but if i was a Spidey-guy, id get it for sure. Im comin around to Dodson's art.

Punisher # 19 - Holy fuck, this book needs its own thread if it aint got one....any Ennis fans round here better be readin this!

I wasnt big on "The Westies" irish/american story, but "Mother Russia" was better than some movies, if even just for what Fury did to those generals.. :D

But the arc this one's introducing seems like its not slowing down...they shouldve given him this book as a MAX title long time back. This one, i will get in trade, at least the last arc for sure.

Green Lantern: Rebirth # 5 - Yeah, Jordan's back, and its a big, pretty fight for most of the issue, with Scrier doin the work of givin the fans back what they want....GL is still that DC character i wanna like more than i do; at least this arc is fixing on his one decent villian, and its a solid read, just...im not a Jordan fan. I wish Kyle's stopped whining, its been years now.

Best of the week!

Walking Dead # 17 - Probably the best book out there right now, every month is a damn fine book. This one focused more on Rick, and the beginning of the establishing rules for this brave new world...its a goddam shame more folks dont read this book, there's tons of movie fans that'd love this one.

Y: The Last Man # 32 - wow, this new arc, its...interestin. Things are movin along, and one charcter event that's prolly been a long time comin...happens. Being part 1 of the next series, obviously there's somethin bigger goin on in the background here, but i cant say wha...look, when has this book not delivered? Again, slow in the beginning, but if youre this far on board, you're not goin anywhere.