Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

FF being Future Foundation being the Fantastic Four w/Spiderman in place of Johnny Storm is brilliant. I'll admit to there being entire decades of Fantastic Four I slept on because Johnny brought the intellectual tone of the book down, but Parker is the perfect brevity w/genuine contribution. Geddonit.

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus christ, the mainstream comics this week. This is a bad day for my wallet, but a great day for sitting at home.

the new Age of Apocalypse #1

Ultimate Spider-Man #8

The Manhattan Projects #1 (rolling the dice on this one, we'll see how it goes)

Sweet Tooth #31

The Boys #64

Swamp Thing #7

Animal Man #7

Wolverine: Alpha and Omega #3

Venom #14

X-Club #4

Hell Yeah #1 (another roll of the dice, in a week where I really shouldn't be doing that)

Killing me with this shit.

Logan, you and I, man. You and I.

Age of Apocalypse #1

Amazing Spider-Man #681

Avengers: Children's Crusade #9

Avengers: Prelude #1

Hell Yeah #1

Manhattan Projects #1

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Infestation 2 #1

Venom #14

Winter Soldier #3

X-Club #4

Here's my list of newly purchased comics for this week: (I'm not a Marvel/DC cape-wearing superhero type person)

1. Avengelyne #7

2. Magdalena #10

3. Hack/Slash/Eva Monster's Ball Part Four

4. Fables: Fairest

5. Charismagic #5

6. True Blood: French Quarter #6

I bought a few back issues on some other comics also.

I just finished reading Nancy in Hell #3 to get caught up for the Nancy in Hell on Earth that has just been released. Interesting, to say the least.

We should change Cathy's member title to "keeper".

Thanks, Logan. :)

Panch turned me into a monster. He infected me so bad that sometimes I have to force him to go to the comic book store.

I have 3 short boxes filled in 6 months. Sad!

If by "sad" you mean "glorious". I tend to do the same thing any time I start a relationship, try to see if I can get the chick into comics. Whether or not it sticks is a barometer for how successful the relationship will be. Glad to see Panch isn't just pushing spandex on you :P

Quick test! (I bet you're sick of these)

Do you find the following image funny?

t0pd5.jpg

I've tried, man. Little by little. What always works for me and getting girls into comics is Y the Last Man for obvious reasons. Cathy liked it, but is into vampires and fairies and shit so the Grim Fairy Tales stuff has really worked. Really, anything supernatural. I don't even coach her anymore. She just goes off on her own and comes back with a stack that usually bigger than mine. She's been my most promising student since Nick ;)

That's Bone. I know of it,but haven't read it. I absolutely laughed at those couple of frames. Very funny.

I read the first two trades of Y, but haven't gotten further than that. Like Panch said, I'm more of the supernatural/obscure reader.

Vampires and fairies and shit you say?

Death Ship - a comic about the crew of the Demiter, the ship Dracula comes to England on)

Rotten - A zombie western but it's smart and satirical and it has a con-man preacher that looks like Glenn Beck

I Am Legion - It's about the Nazis' attempt to create an army of vampire soldiers using a vampire who happens to be a creepy little girl, hijinks ensue

Moriarty - Sherlock Holmes dies, Proffessor Moriarty gets bored and decides to be a hero for a while

Criminal Macabre - Chain smoking, pill-popping, ex-heroin addicted detective fights vampires, werewolves, golems, and whatnot

Hellboy - You probably know about this anyway, but just in case. Evil demon summoned from hell, decides to be a good guy instead. Hijinks ensue.

The Goon - Gonzo horror dealing with a big ugly brawler and his tiny stab-happy sidekick running around a depression-era slum beating up monsters and shit.

Witch Doctor - About a doctor who deals with supernatural problems.

Food for thought then, stuff you may (or my not) dig, but may want to flip through next time you're in a shop (sorry, I do this kinda shit at the slightest provocation):

American Vampire - It's about vampires. I'll let you guess where it takes place.

The Crow (the original one) - like the movie, but not as silly

Locke & Key - Gets good and creepy, from the spawn of Stephen King

Morning Glories - There's definitely something supernatural going on and people are occasionally murdered. It's kind of like Lost in the first seasons. It's about a fucked up boarding school in the same sense that Lost was about people on an island.

The Strain - Adapted from the novel, it's a well written take on modern vampires. There's a lot of emphasis on how exactly they work, which always interests me.

Dresden Files - Fantasy/Mystery about a detective who happens to be a wizard, who investigates different supernatural events.

Severed - It's about a runaway boy in the early 20th century. He meets up with a shady salesman with unusually sharp teeth...

Animal Man & Swamp Thing - Yeah, these are technically super hero books, but they're fuckin' scary. Unquestionably horror.

House of Night - About a school that's sort of like a Hogwarts for vampires. Teenagers dealing with "changes", but definitely not the standard variety. Sounds like it would be up your alley.

EDIT: I started writing this before the above posts existed, and was distracted by dinner. You may want to disregard a portion of the list.

Edited by Thelogan

Interesting suggestions, Iambaytor. May have to look into a couple.

the new Age of Apocalypse #1

How is this new Age of Apocalypse thing?

4. Fables: Fairest

Fables is wonderful.

We should change Cathy's member title to "keeper".

Seconded.

Food for thought then, stuff you may (or my not) dig, but may want to flip through next time you're in a shop (sorry, I do this kinda shit at the slightest provocation):

been thinking about Locke and Key, may see if the library has it first. As for Dresden Files, I just started the books. The comic any good?

Much more reasonable this week. All I grabbed so far was Saga, Scarlet Spider and Wolverine &.

I almost got Incredible Hulk, I've gotten the last 5, but I decided to drop it. I thought it might have been going somewhere cool after the first couple of issues, but now I fear that's just not the case. I'll be ignoring it until someone tells me not to.

Somehow better than I anticipated. It's definitely a sci-fi/fantasy story, but it's grounded in our culture in a very weird way. It's like steampunk fantasy, where a garage door might be made out of dragon bone or someone needing painkillers might get a healing spell. People don't talk like fake middle english cunts either.

I'll be reading it as quickly as it comes out. I suspect that in a year or so, half the board will be chattering about it.