Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Scarlet Spider is interesting. It's not great, but so far every issue has had at least one "Yeah...that's cool" moment for me. He's like The Goddamn Batman of Spider-Men, and really a 90's throwback. Which makes sense, I guess.

Thief of Thieves is the Nick Spencer/Robert Kirkman book. Title sums up the main character. I haven't read the 2nd issue yet because I neglected it Wednesday. 1st one was solid though, clearly custom built to be optioned as a movie/tv series.

I'm not buying Spider-Man right now. There's BPRD, but I didn't get the first one so that's out for now. I read Fables in trades. I'm behind on The Goon. Waiting for the trade on Kick Ass 2.

I MIGHT end up getting Supercrooks. I'm gonna wait on non-'baytor feedback first.

What are you getting? I figure Amazing, Super Dinosaur and Hack/Slash, but what else are you after? Maybe I overlooked something.

Cathy reads Hack/Slash. For me: Amazing, Avengers: X-Sanction, Batman, Ghostbusters, Hoax Hunters (wanna try this one), Infestation 2: TMNT, Prelude to Avengers, Stan Lee's Mighty 7 (I'm on the fence with this one), Super Dinosaur, Supercrooks (been hearing about this one for a while, Millar? No brainer).

Yeah, that Madrox mini that relaunched X-Factor was fantastic. I dropped off on all the X-books though. Really the last time I read them regularly was back when Scarlet awitch went bananas. I justnbasically keep up w/ the X-verse though the Interwebs and geek speak whenever I hit the local comic shop.

X-Factor was always the most "meh" of X-books for me. Up until Peter David switched things up after the Madrox mini. Some good shit.

That said, I'm pretty behind. I can't speak for it's current quality.

it's still delivering - new mission quest from "headmaster" :wolvy: and convolutions galore but all thankfully self-contained, and you still got that Whedon-esque team banter, with some nods to old X-Factor fans...Polaris & Havok are back 'round, for one.

Haku - i don't blame you. one thing about x-books that's been true for me since the 90s is that keeping up is such a huge investment, time if not money. some stuff is fun but many arcs start interesting and result in things i totally forget about - taking a break after Messiah War like bindy did really helped me pan out which ones i wanted to stick with later, and X-factor was 90% of that.

You've gotta let us know how New Deadwardians is. I think I'm gonna snag that one.

Hey Panch, I/we sorta hijacked this thread with listing all the new shit we buy every week. I was thinking of making a "What's in your bag" topic, or was this exactly what this thread is for? I'm fine either way, I just figured I'd touch base before I made a redundant thread.

Today's new stuff was

Walking Dead #95

Astonishing X-Men #48

Spaceman #5

Morning Glories #17

Atomic Robo: Real Science Adventures #1

I also bought X-Factor #32-#48

and Paying For It

I've been anticipating New Deadwardians for a while now, but let her have it cause she saw it first on the rack. I still get to read it anyways ;)

I always envisioned this thread to be a weekly review thread. It started out that way but, as with lots of threads on here, it evolved on its own. I usually spread my reading out throughout the week. Most of the time finishing my last book to just before I have to re-up. Reviewing EVERY issue is dumb except for new stuff that deserves a look. Make a thread if you want. Doesn't bother me, but make sure it really has something different to it than what we're already doing or it really is pointless. Your call, man.

Dewardians is definitely interesting. It's fun to read because you have to read it with an English accent. You'll see why. it takes a few pages to get into it. Vampires and zombies. Couldn't ask for more. Too soon to give an outstanding review. We'll see how it goes next month. No spoilers.