Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

gif reviews

Wolvy & X-Men 14:

ibRIYF7ZCtv8v.gif

wasnt too bad but yeah, this event needs to hurry the fuck up and end.

Wolverine 311:

tumblr_m69a1g5C0u1rvzw0uo1_500.gif

it's shit, i don't know why i try with Loeb. his sabretooth story before was fucking garbage, why i expected him to salvage it is beyond me. Spoilers! romulus is back (UGH) and sabretooth clones. oh yeah, Romulus has a twin sister who's of course redhead and magicaFUCK IT, i'm done.

Green Lantern 11:

7X2zn.png

getting interesting again. we're back at black hand zombie shit and colors and prophecies but maybe this time it'll be okay

Daredevil 16:

birdman-hand-rub.gif

remains a top-shelf book. there hasn't been a bad issue yet.

BPRD: Hell on Earth - Excorcism 2 of 2:

0009.gif

was cool but you cunts dont read that stuff. Hell on Earth is clearly not going to end well.

Avengers vs X-Men 9:

ic57YFIq3tOqR.gif

advanced things a little more towards a conclusion at 12 so that's nice.

X-Factor 241:

tumblr_m06s0iemAj1qjuhqk.gif

this book is doing things! this arc is supposed to be big. i guess that was rhane upstairs, unless banshee's back?

Hawkeye 1:

LlHL6.gif

the single most exciting book this week, and not just because i love this creative team, but at least partly because i love this creative team. can't wait for 2.

So I was reading Spider-Man 116-118 today and it deals with Richard Raleigh running for Mayor. So anyway this guy called The Disruptor keeps fucking with Raleigh's campaign even though he's an apparent saint. Spider-Man ends up fighting this big bastard called The Smasher who is controlled via some shock collar thing by The Disruptor, during the final battle he presses the button too many times and The Smasher fucks up his shit. Spider-Man manages to beat him and as it shows that Raleigh is a guaranteed win Spider-Man unmasks the Disruptor who turns out to be Raleigh himself. He then removes the costume and leaves the guy's corpse, shouldering the blame on himself and making a martyr out of the hero politician.

I see what you did there, Christopher Nolan.

Re: Hawkeye.

Everyone keeps telling me it's good, I just have a hard time giving a shit about him. Blasphemy, I know. I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Another thing everyones been talking about: Daredevil. I know NZA has said a million times that I need to get on it, but I've slept on it anyway. The final straw was a couple of days ago. I was talking to my dad and he said he preordered the trade. Not that you guys are chopped liver, but that says a lot. He's very picky with his "sequential art" and hasn't cared much for superheros for decades.

So I was reading Spider-Man 116-118 today and it deals with Richard Raleigh running for Mayor. So anyway this guy called The Disruptor keeps fucking with Raleigh's campaign even though he's an apparent saint. Spider-Man ends up fighting this big bastard called The Smasher who is controlled via some shock collar thing by The Disruptor, during the final battle he presses the button too many times and The Smasher fucks up his shit. Spider-Man manages to beat him and as it shows that Raleigh is a guaranteed win Spider-Man unmasks the Disruptor who turns out to be Raleigh himself. He then removes the costume and leaves the guy's corpse, shouldering the blame on himself and making a martyr out of the hero politician.

I see what you did there, Christopher Nolan.

He more or less did the same thing with Norman Osborn on their first serious encounter too though. Is this all Ultimate Spider or post-one more day 616?

Also where the eff can I DL comics? Google's not telling me shit and every torrent engine I use has nothing.

Gotta ask. With Demonoid down I find myself lost for where to find books(when not purchasing them at the store natch). King of the Pirates Holla?

Pirate Bay, and half of it there is people tagging "please come back, demonoid" to give you an indication

Re: Hawkeye.

Everyone keeps telling me it's good, I just have a hard time giving a shit about him. Blasphemy, I know. I'm going to give it a try anyway.

I too find a hard time giving a fuck about Hawkeye or Daredevil (which is kinda weird since I dig Green Arrow and Moon Knight), I think I need to give these a try as well.

# of Hawkeye books/events i've told you to check out before the creative team behind Iron Fist came on: 0

# since said team: 1

issues in said run so far: 1

Another thing everyones been talking about: Daredevil. I know NZA has said a million times that I need to get on it, but I've slept on it anyway.

this is pretty much where i stopped reading; it's been top 3, if not the best, marvel book for years now, fuck yo dad

so we're officially done giving/taking recommendations, yeah? feels good deleting this 10GB of stuff

@Panch- thanks for clarifying the book man.

With Osbourne he really just did it for Harry's benefit. This is Spider-Man #118 from the mid-70s so it was ahead of the curve by a pretty good margin.

No we're talking before Harry was in the picture. Like, first encounter when Norman was just some entrepreneur with cornrows and occasional memory loss. He undressed him and let him go because Norman claimed not to have any knowledge of the Goblin or the fact that he was infact it. Upon reflection not quite the same scenario we're discussing that overlaps with Dark Knight, so I probably should have just kept my whore mouth shut.

No we're talking before Harry was in the picture. Like, first encounter when Norman was just some entrepreneur with cornrows and occasional memory loss. He undressed him and let him go because Norman claimed not to have any knowledge of the Goblin or the fact that he was infact it. Upon reflection not quite the same scenario we're discussing that overlaps with Dark Knight, so I probably should have just kept my whore mouth shut.

Oh, he does that shit every week it seems. Green Goblin, The Prowler, The Gibbon, etc. He beats people unconscious, decides they deserve a second chance, drops 'em off in a hospital room and burns their costumes.

so we're officially done giving/taking recommendations, yeah? feels good deleting this 10GB of stuff

Oh we're gonna play that game, are we? Hey I'm caught up on Secret Avengers how was Suicide Squad or Thunderbolts?

Gambit #1 - Surprisingly not shitty. I actually find myself wanting to read Issue 2 (and Quire's essay comparing Wolverine to Joseph Stalin), the best thing they did in this was to downplay his accent. He still throws in a couple french words but it's "Hi my name's Remy Lebeaugh" not "Mon chere dis here cajun be name Remy Labeaugh, hear?" It makes the pill go down a lot easier. Still, I'm digging it.

Hawkeye #1 - Not much story in this, in fact he only holds a boy for like 2 pages, but it's a well written issue. I'm still not certain this character deserves a solo book, but the art's nice and I have no complaints about what I'm reading.

Venom #21-#22 - So this is apparently the last issue, or at least the last one with the current writer, which doesn't necessarily mean the death of the book but it did with that kickass Ghost Rider book a few years ago so we'll see. The sales were apparently pretty decent so I'm confident we'll be seeing Flash back in the symbiote before too long. One gripe:

What the fuck was up with that shit with Eddie Brock? The symbiote was on fire it shouldn't be able to grab him. I'm sure he's not dead, he'll probably turn up in burn-face down the line to exact revenge on Flash. They just mishandled the character a lot of late, I don't know where the whole Jesus freak angle came from, he's always been a Catholic but never a fanatic and the whole "kill all the symbiotes" angle would have worked if they hadn't turned him into the son of Sam. While we're on that what was the deal with Toxin, last time I saw him he was child-like but he bore no resentment for his "grandfather" and was still bonded to Patrick Mulligan. What happened to Mulligan and why did Toxin go so nut-shit all the sudden?

Amazing Spider-Man 121 - The Silver Age of comics ends with a resounding snap. I honestly think this issue has more impact knowing its outcome than not, though that guy-punch must have hit hard for kids back in the 70s, still the whole hope and futility of the whole issue just tears you down as you realize what's about to happen. Shit's rough. Gwen was a pretty worthless character (I'm assuming her clone does something more profound than be a sexy Aunt May replacement. The hints have been few and subtle but they've been gradually moving Mary Jane into the future girlfriend role by slowly making her less retarded. Now shit gets complicated as I move forward because Spectacular Spider-Man starts soon and I'll be reading back and forth between three comics at a time, then Marvel Team-Up will end just in time for Web of Spider-Man to begin.

So far I haven't read a bad issue of Spider-Man, I've read some silly ones and some that were just batshit insane, but they've all been enjoyable, which is pretty decent for 120 issues.

Deadpool Kills started out good but then suffered from the same shit the Punisher version did, I wonder if the guy writing it has even read another Marvel book. Obviously he hasn't because two of the most interesting and bullshit fights apparently happened off-panel between issues 1 and 2.

Edited by Iambaytor

New Avengers # 29 - may've been the best book of this whole AvX debate, only because i love bendis doing this Illuminati thing, it's great for character. i also dug Deodato here, he tried his damndest to not make Namor's phoenix outfit look like a S&M Nomura throwaway.