Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Been catching up on a good amount of stuff recently

Transmetropolitan: Working my way through finally. I read the first 2 Volumes awhile back thanks to Loggins, but haven't gotten any further until recently. I love this book. Hopefully gonna get through it by the end of summer.

Sandman: FINALLY started this up. Finished Preludes and Nocturnes. Kind of a slow start for me, but I'm digging the characters and hoping it picks up a bit. I didn't realize it was a DCU book which makes me even more eager to read more.

Caught up on Walking Dead. Hopefully the setup at the end of that last issue pays off somehow. Shit's going too slow for me right now.

Maus: Little more than halfway through the first book. Great stuff. Like reading a documentary with mice.

Wolverine Origins Deadpool: Thanks for this one Panch, that was fun. I still need more DP in my life though. (Deadpool too)

Wytches: still going strong, eager to see how this arc (there will be more right?) ends.

Autumlands: More people need to be reading this book. It's so good. The art is fantastic in this one.

Frank Miller's Daredevil: Started reading this after getting into the show. Liking it alot so far.

Meanwhile Planetary is just staring at me on that fucking shelf.

• Upvote 1

Finished Maus 1. Damn good stuff. I can't wait to read the second half. It's always interesting to hear different perspectives on that time period, and I think this is my favorite (albeit gutwrenchingly sad) version yet.

Also reading Deadpool by Posehn and Duggan. I think my first exposure to DP was in the Marvel Ultimate Alliance video game years ago. He ended up being my favorite character in the game. Unfortunately that and wikipedia would be my primary knowledge of the character until his explosion recently. Finally reading a proper DP book and I'm having a blast. It's like if Mel Brooks wrote a comic book. I can see how people are starting to get sick of him, but I think that's due to people finding the most annoying sound bites from him, mainly pertaining to tacos and chimichangas. Luckily that doesn't seem to be at the forefront of his character.

I need more marvel suggestions though! I'm still on Man Without Fear and have Brubaker's Iron Fist on my hard drive right now. I don't know why, but I've been interested in trying The Sentry. Can anyone recommend any of his stories?

The only bad parts in the old Deadpool series, regardless of who's writing it, is the bits where they're dealing with his big destiny as a hero and all that bullshit, but there's nuggets peppering every arc and every writer. That includes the Chris Priest and Gail Simone runs as well as whoever else wrote for that book.

I'm getting caught up on my Marvel books right now:

Howard the Duck - 2 issues in and I'm loving it so far, they managed to make a Howard book that is good but doesn't rely on trying to ape Steve Gerber and I like that.

Angela - I don't know why I'm still following this book. I've liked Angela in the Marvel U so far, but she is not a good protagonist.

All-New Captain America - I'm trying to give Sam Wilson a shot but this book isn't very interesting, admittedly the last couple of Steve Rogers arcs weren't great either but I'm liking Falcon-Cap less than Bucky-Cap.

All-New Hawkeye - Meh.

Ant-Man - Loving this new book, they're kind of biting off O'Grady's schtick and applying it to the previously lame Scott Lang, but that's okay. They kind of de-evolved his daughter though, which sucks because I liked her.

Black Widow - Still a decent read, better than Elektra's book but not the kind of thing I'll look forward to collecting in trades in the future. Still probably the best Black Widow book by a wide margin.

Deathlok - Drawn out, dull, ugh. By the time they get this series' first act finished, it'll be time to cancel the book.

Guardians 3000 - Surprisingly this has been a good book, I look forward to seeing where this group goes in their Secret Wars book. Having Dan Abnett (sans Andy Lanning) back on a Marvel cosmic book is good, even if he is stuck in the lame future of the original Guardians of the Galaxy.

Hulk - Interesting book, kind of a lead-in to Future Imperfect Hulk. It's mostly dealt with him de-powering all the others Hulks (he's taken out A-Bomb, Red She-Hulk, The Gamma Corps, Skaar, and Red Hulk. Doc Sampson and Abomination are apparently still dead and Thundra She-Hulk is trapped in another dimension (Captain America told him to leave Jennifer Walters the fuck alone.) It's been an interesting run if nothing else.

Inhuman - Still don't give a fuck about the Nuhumans. Go back to the bombastic sci-fi opera of the Inhuman family solving all their problems with violence and I'll be interested again.

Loki Agent of Asgard - Glad this is almost done with, this was a fun book for a while but I'm over it.

Moon Knight - Not nearly as fun as when Ellis was onboard, but still a solid series.

Ms. Marvel - Still a lot of fun, we're getting into Inhumans politics which seem kind of boring but I'm still largely loving this book.

Rocket Raccoon - I'm starting to find the zaniness exhausting with this one. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

Nova - Finally getting Sam Alexander to be his own character and I'm enjoying where things are going. Still kinda wish they'd bring Richard Rider and co. Back. We could have two Nova books, or at least have Rider be a supporting character in this one ala Johnny Blaze in 90s Ghost Rider.

S.H.I.E.L.D. - Okay, not really using the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. cast very well. Coulson is basically just playing a Batman/Misty Knight role and calling on superheroes to solve whatever situation. Still feels like its finding its legs so I'll reserve judgement until later.

Silk - Pretty fun. I'm interested, but we'll see where this goes.

Secret Avengers - Enjoyed this volume, much better than the super serious spy crap last time, but still nowhere near as good as the first volume.

Spider-Gwen - Cool idea, enjoyed the Spider-Verse issue, the actual book is less than impressive.

Storm - It's had some ups and downs, and I've never really cared for in-your-face-mohawk storm, but it's been decent.

Superior Iron Man - Intersting dynamic in that the hero is actually the villain of the book, but this is nowhere near as interesting or as fun as Superior Spider-Man was.

The Punisher - The Rucka arc is still by far the best but this one has probably done the best of any to integrate Frank into the Marvel universe while not devolving into hokum. It's also allowed Frank to be a character who actually has friends and isn't a dour ass all the time, that's been nice.

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl - Ryan North (of Dinosaur Comics) has been writing a good series here, he's found the right tone for the character and its been a lot of fun. A tad zany, but I like it.

Thor - This is still a good book, and I love Jason Aaron but I'll enjoy this book a lot more when its not just page after page of She-Thor proving she's a worthy proxy.

Uncanny Inhumans - Not sure yet, but it seems to be less Nuhuman centric so I'm hopeful.

other shit I've read

War is Hell: The First Flight of the Phantom Eagle - It's every single book that Garth Ennis has ever written on war (sans the Rifle Brigade) and deals with the ugliness, the violence, and you're puffed up hero type getting taken down a peg. Still really liked it but it's nothing earthshattering. Mostly just wanted to see how this would lead into Ennis' new mini during Secret Wars with the same character going to what appears to be the Savage Land. (My guess is, not really at all.)

Alan Moore's Captain Britain - Quite good, bit of a Miracleman-lite (actually features Miracleman in both name in appearance, not sure how he snuck that one past legal) but in the upper tier of his work that I've read, it's not as revolutionary as Watchmen but its also not as stuck up its own ass. Like a lot of Moore stories, it's a lot more interesting than it is entertaining but overall I was satisfied. I've decided that as long as I set a cut-off date of like 1995, I quite like Alan Moore books.

• Upvote 1

Finally read Alias in anticipation of the new show and I enjoyed it. It had a good story, but thank Christ that Bendis became a better writer. The story's fine and Jessica is likeable after a fact but the dialogue is like nails on a chalkboard to me. Everything I hate about juvenile early 00's "mature" comic book writing, and MAX in general, is on full display here. I'm about to start The Pulse, so hopefully Bendis stopped writing like a teenager at this point.

Edited by Iambaytor

Pulse was good, missed the private eye angle but it still did a job of tackling interesting ground level stories. Nothing so far off the beaten path as Alias, but I could actually read the words without rolling my eyes constantly so it's a bit better and a bit worse than Alias.

New Avengers Volume 1 - Reading this all actually made me take my trades (1, 2, and 4) off the shelf and toss them in the resale box. This book was a mess and any potential it had was absolutely destroyed by event upon event upon event. The "heroes on the run" angle was cool, but it led to a lot of the same thing over and over again yet there was no consistency to speak of. It got pretty good right around Siege but it really is a forgettable book. Onto Might Avengers Volume 1, which I seem to remember being pretty good after Secret Invasion.

Edited by Iambaytor

It just kind of became the book Marvel used to tie off plot threads they didn't have time to tackle in other books. Occasionally it was about the New Avengers going on an adventure together, but usually it was a drama book, and not a terribly good one at that.

You also named probably the only issue of Pulse I didn't care for, then again I find House of M boring in its entirety so there's an established bias.

Mighty Avengers Volume 1 - Ugh, this started out even worse than New Avengers Volume 1. I have no idea why Bendis was so valued at this time because his writing was fucking awful (it also became almost a running joke how Frank Cho would find ways to fit butts into panels) but the book improved immensely after Secret Invasion when Dan Slott took over the book. The whole Hank Pym becoming The Wasp and becoming Eternity's Scientist Supreme was a pretty great book, shame it didn't last longer.

was that around that time when bendis had dialogue on the covers, again? i wanna say i remember that era as a sort've olive branch to classic avengers fans who were pissed at the way he tore the team apart & had everyone so out of character

No dialogue on the covers. It was the Avengers team that was composed of Iron-Man, Ms. Marvel, Sentry, Wonder Man, Ares, Wasp, and Black Widow. They stick together for 3 arcs (Ultron co-opting Iron-Man's extremis to turn Tony into a sexy naked Janet Van Dyne cyborg), the venom bomb, and the team going to Latveria to fight Dr. Doom. Then its mired in side stories to Secret Invasion for pretty much a whole arc and then Hank Pym shows up and saves the book.

New Avengers Volume 2 - SOOO much better than volume one. Bendis is such a better writer and the book handles the events so much better (though Bendis' take on Squirrel Girl is stupid), it's still not grade A stuff but it is a much more satisfying book than the previous one.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up old man logan 1, Fight Club 2, Alan Moores Providence (because fucking Lovecraft), Secret Wars 2099 1 and Infinity Gauntlet 1. I did finally open a box up with my local comic shop with the intention to get almost everything Secret Wars related (and the last of Superior Iron man which i've really liked).

...Marvel better not burn me on Secret Wars like they did Civil War. I'll be so fucking done if they do.

• 2 weeks later...

Avengers Volume 2 (The Heroic Age) - Not bad, probably the best JRJR pencils I've seen since his early 00s Spider-Man stuff. The books keep getting hamstrung by insipid events, you're your own worst enemy Bendis. Still a lot of fun, it's just that these Bendis books don't really have a set roster of characters. Spider-Man and Wolverine weren't even members of The Avengers proper at this point but they're in almost every single issue. Now onto Uncanny Vol. 1 and Mighty Vol. 2

Picked up Groot #1 and Walking Dead #141 on the road.

I loved Groot. It was hilarious and it felt like a Saturday morning cartoon.Cant wait to read more.

Walking Dead was... well fine. I feel like were just going in circles though.