Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

All-Star Section 8 #1

This is the comic my heart has dreamed of.

HNMP13L.jpg

MAJOR HITMAN SPOILERS

So yeah, Six-Pack is back on the wagon and he's got a new team.

tiAYN6t.jpg

Bueno Excellente was the only other surviving member of the team but Dogwelder is back with no explanation.

d5cWmuL.jpg

The new guys have not made their wonder known yet (I'm told they cameod in a recent Harley Quinn special) but Baytor is now a member. Also, Hacken has now grown a full head of hair and appears to be somber and intelligent. This trade is already pre-bought, I cannot wait for the other five issues and just wish this was an ongoing.

• 1 month later...

recent JLA viewings have had me in a DC mood, read Nightwing: Year One tonight & recently grabbed:

- Grant Morisson's JLA run (90s)

- Mark Waid's Flash

- Peter David's Aquaman

- Ron Marz/others' Green Lantern (never did finish his Rayner run) - also the 70's Green Arrow book

- Superman: Birthright

- Ostrander's Spectre

- volume 2 (wanna say Ostrander as well?) Jonah Hex, on baytor's say-so

regrabbed Kingdom Come, Batman: Long Halloween/Dark Victory since i should have them digitally as well. anything else come to mind?

• 2 weeks later...

Getting caught up on

-'68 - GREAT! Read it

-The Woods - Good, maybe read it

-Manifest Destiny -GREAT!!

-Hack/Slash vs. Army of Darkness - Better than expected

-Hack/Slash: Son of Samhain - decent

-Scream Queen - Boo

-Re-Animator - Meh

-Uncanny Avengers Volume 1 - Nice idea, so-so execution

-Axis - Meh, though I would totally read an ongoing of Carnage trying to be a good guy. Also Axis Revolutions 1 has a great Spider-Man story.

I recently finished the 2012-2015 Hawkeye series. Wow... I didn't realize that went on for three years. Reading them as they were released must have been torturous. That Pizza Dog issue was awesome. Reminded me of that episode of Pinky and the Brain where we

!

Now I'm working on:

- TMNT (2011-ongoing)

- Y- The Last Man- just started it and already hooked!

- Hip Hop Family Tree - this will take me forever because I keep stopping to research (i.e. fall into a wiki black hole) and listen to the artists on YouTube

- Torso - another recommendation from NZA who knows how much I love true crime stories!

I want to start reading more Deadpool. So far all I've read is his first appearance and Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe. I have all of his regular series, limited series and one-shots. Can anyone recommend a good place to start?

hmm...that Joe Kelly (i wanna say?) series in the 90s looks to be where a lot of the movie stuff (Blind Al, Weasel) come from, and i remember digging what i read of it...i'd skip the DP mini before (Joe Mad art), it's not bad but focuses more on sucker-for-love Wade & Siryn, felt like a whole other take.

I have those issues digitally, been meaning to go through them one day & lead into Agent X because Gail Simone is awesome.

I want to start reading more Deadpool. So far all I've read is his first appearance and Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe. I have all of his regular series, limited series and one-shots. Can anyone recommend a good place to start?

The 90s series has some good moments but it's mostly a slog, I plowed through them in a couple months and nearly gave up a number of times. Fortunately almost all of it has been retconned out of existence (Deadpool no longer carries a torch for Siryn, Blind Al almost never pops up, and I don't think D-Rey, Ajax, or Weasel have been even mentioned in over a decade.) I'd either start with the Volume 2 (Written by Daniel Way, starts with a Secret Invasion tie-in but gets better from there) or Volume 3 written by Brian Posehn in 2012 (first issue involves zombie presidents.) Volume 1, Deadpool Corps, Deadpool Team-Up, Merc With a Mouth, Agent X, and Cable vs. Deadpool are best saved for when your tolerance is higher.

The 90s series has some good moments but it's mostly a slog, I plowed through them in a couple months and nearly gave up a number of times. Fortunately almost all of it has been retconned out of existence (Deadpool no longer carries a torch for Siryn, Blind Al almost never pops up, and I don't think D-Rey, Ajax, or Weasel have been even mentioned in over a decade.) I'd either start with the Volume 2 (Written by Daniel Way, starts with a Secret Invasion tie-in but gets better from there) or Volume 3 written by Brian Posehn in 2012 (first issue involves zombie presidents.) Volume 1, Deadpool Corps, Deadpool Team-Up, Merc With a Mouth, Agent X, and Cable vs. Deadpool are best saved for when your tolerance is higher.

Thanks for the detailed response! I think I'll go with Vol. 2 to start. And maybe tackle the older stuff Nick mentioned over Christmas break when my tolerance is higher. I'd like to see the origin of some of those characters before the movie comes out!

I read the latter two, saving Providence until it's done so I don't have to go back and read the previous issues to remember what the fuck's going on (learned my lesson last time, Alan.)

Speak the words you wish to speak.

Also, didja read All-Star Section Eight #3? This issue was very Bueno Excellente-centric (I think this is the first time we've seen a full-body shot of the guy because I don't recall ever seeing the bikini pants and stockings before) and I think Ennis is just trying to find ways to make each issue more disgusting than the previous one and usually this sort of chicanery rustles my jimmies with Ennis (I was really pumped for Where Monsters Dwell but it's become a chore) but for some reason in the context of Section Eight I just find it hilarious. The page of Martian Manhunter reacting to all the awful noises actually made me laugh aloud.

yeah, Moore's stuff in those books can do that, that's not a bad call. release schedule seems better on this one so far but we'll see.

and nah, thanks for reminding me - i'm 2 issues behind on that one now, gonna get caught up soon. and yeah, Ennis gonna Ennis.

It's getting very Ennisy, but it works in this context. Mostly I'm loving all the callbacks (apparently all of the Justice League has seen the Lobo tape) and they explained Dogwelder's resurrection (kinda happy but also kinda bummed as I liked that) but Powertool and The Grapplah! finally have lines so it's not just Six-Pack talking to himself while everyone else says only one thing ala The Rifle Brigade. This is also probably the most lines Baytor has ever had, and impatient intellectual Hacken continues to be funnier than it really should be. This had better prove to be canon and not a dream or some shit.

I'd start post Civil War when Osborn is running the team and read forward. You can backtrack as far as the relaunch (round about the time New Avengers started) if you like; it's good but not essential. I'd give the original series and the early 00s series a pass, they're not bad but nothing earthshaking. The most recent volume with Red Hulk, Punisher, etc has it's moments but is mostly awful. The best stuff is from when Cage takes over the team to when the book becomes Dark Avengers but you need the Civil War thru Siege stuff to build up to that.

• 3 months later...

Nx8vvpq.png

I Hate Fairyland 1 and 2.

So damn fun. I might thread it later. The jist is a little girl gets sucked into a fantasy world like Alice in Wonderland, but is stuck there for 27 years while not aging a day. She goes on a warpath trying to find a key to get home, and it's fucking hilarious. Plus the artwork is fantastic.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently re-reading IDW's TMNT - so damn good.

TMNT_CoverSpread.jpg

VzwmQfI.jpg

I'm also pickin' at 2 sweet TPBs I got for XMAS:

3091058.jpg

2628011.jpg

So far, Ghostbusters: Get Real is a'ight. It is damn cool seeing the 2 versions side-by-side (though, you kinda hafta squint to make the IDW GBs look like their movie-counterparts). It feels like animation cells plucked from the show and placed in a...darker...comic book version of...the movie...selves - LOL! It looks cool.

Premise: An original ghost / supernatural entity, in the cartoon universe (He's never appeared in The Real Ghostbusters show - which already felt like a missed opportunity) accidentally sends the cartoon GB into the IDW Ghostbusters' universe.

Apparently, the story occurs after their TMNT crossover. Should've stopped reading and switch books, but I was deeper in the 'Get Real' story than the TMNT one when I found out. (shrugs) Minor plot spoiler - but didn't really ruin anything.

I'll post in the GB thread when I'm done w/ 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

It's only on issue 4 but there's the previous volume which I think ran like 10 issues. It's all good. I'm reading through it all the ones I genuinely love right now:

All-New X-Men - Love the X-kids, love Kid Cyclops. First X-men book I've read and enjoyed in at least 10 years.

Amazing Spider-Man - Already shouted love at the heart of the world over this one but I'm still digging it even if it hasn't found a good villain yet.

Carnage - Obviously a mini but I'm finding it a really good read, uses just enough Carnage without him getting old.

Deadpool - Fell off the wagon ages ago but I'm starting over anew and I'm really enjoying this so far.

Deadpool and the Mercs for Money - They brought Terror back! I love this book!

Hercules - I kind of miss the boisterous drunken Hercules but as a big fan of the character I'm glad to see him coming back. Just wish Amadeus Cho was by his side again instead of starring in Totally Annoying Hulk.

Howard the Duck - Another carryover, wonderful in every way.

Ms. Marvel - A carryover from before. Kamala Khan is like Miles Morales except her book is actually as good as her character.

Nova - Still wanna know what became of the Nova Corps and am impatiently waiting for Richard Ryder to break out of the Cancerverse (at least we know what happened to him and why Star-Lord/Drax/Thanos are back finally)

Red Wolf - This is a weird book, almost a MAX book and so far has no even vague ties to the the greater Marvel universe but it's well written and Marvel really needs its own Jonah Hex so I'm interested in seeing where it goes.

Silver Surfer - Another carryover, still wonderful.

Spider-Man/Deadpool - Two issues in this is just an amazingly good book, best characterization on Deadpool I've seen.

Spider-man 2099 - Haven't read the book in years so I'm just jumping on with this volume but I've enjoyed it so far.

Spider-Woman - Jessica Drew is the second most pointless Jessica that Brian Bendis shoehorned into every fucking book for far too long but this new volume has made good use of the character and stopped making her feel redundant to Spider-man/Black Widow/Mockingbird/etc. (It totally is bullshit that we don't have a new Jessica Jones book right now, strike while the iron's hot Quesada!)

Squirrel Girl - Hilarious.

The Astonishing Ant-Man - Solid fucking gold. Love it.

Vision - Said it before but I'll repeat it. Weird, creepy, much more a horror book than a superhero book. Very similar to Animal Man in tone though in an entirely opposite direction as far as subject matter goes.

Still haven't gotten to Uncanny Avengers/X-Men yet so no opinions there but those are my highlights.

Edited by Iambaytor

yeah, i need someone else to talk Utlimates with, newt has me on Weirdworld as well

Nova - Still wanna know what became of the Nova Corps and am impatiently waiting for Richard Ryder to break out of the Cancerverse (at least we know what happened to him and why Star-Lord/Drax/Thanos are back finally)

wait wait

in the bendis guardians series, he took forever to tell us some rushed story about cosmic cubes or somesuch...did they give a better version here? feel free to spoil me on it

Yeah that's what I'm talking about, and it wasn't really rushed it took like 3 issues. Nothing can die in the Cancerverse and eventually they managed to get out using the Cosmic Cube Star-Lord had. Admittedly Star-Lord flat-out mentioned in the Thanos Imperative that it was out of juice but whatever. Nova stayed behind to keep the Cthuhlu Avengers at bay and the other three traveled to the 616. Nova was left for dead but since it's been established that nothing truly dies there he's still kicking around somewhere. What happened to his brother, the Nova force, time-displaced Namorita, and the rest of the Nova Corps has not been established and they were actually namedropped as still MIA in the new Nova book. I'm hoping now that Sam Alexander has become fully established we can bring Richard Rider back as a supporting character.

I'm reading Ultimates and Weirdworld but and I'm not disliking them (I think the only book I'm reading out of sheer completionism is Angela - Guardian of Hel) but I'm not in love with them yet.

Vision - Said it before but I'll repeat it. Weird, creepy, much more a horror book than a superhero book. Very similar to Animal Man in tone though in an entirely opposite direction as far as subject matter goes.

I'm going to download this now.

Also I wanna read something with Taskmaster in it. Any suggestions? His 2011(?) series looked cool, but I can't find it anywhere.