Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

• 2 months later...

I DID SOME MORE EAR READING GUISE

I finished Grant Morrisons' Supergods, and SUPERHEROES! (an extended version of the PBS documentary I believe).

That's 3 books about the history of comics back to back so far, and each offering a pretty interesting perspective on the rise/fall/rise/fall of comics.

Grant Morrisons' book is part history of comics, part history of himself, part what the fuck happened 1/2 way through this guy is mental and he's suddenly turned into the Hunter S. Thompson of comics. Would recommend.

SUPERHEROES! Is...well it's a PBS doc in book form (the audiobook actually had clips from the interviews they did in it), so expect it to be a little more fact based but still great if you want to get into more...less biased views on the history of comics. Would recommend.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So does anybody know if the new Rat Queens are any good? I was loving the story, but only just found out they did a reboot for whatever reason after Vol. 3. Apparently one of the original artists was arrested (they're on the 4th artist now). I dunno. I wanna read it, but I'd rather not if it is just gonna trow out it's continuity which was really good. And yeah I know DC and Marvel can pull reboots all day long, but this one's a bit different.

• 5 months later...

Does Rick Remender write EVERYTHING? I swear I se his name on every other trade I get coming into the store. Granted they look cool. I picked up Tokyo Ghost and Seven to Eternity. I got my eye on Black Science and Low too. Hoping to get around to them soon.

I'm catching up on books for the first time in more than a year, starting with Saga of course(all the reacts and such).

At some point I would love to see Fiona Staples-and BKV depending on level of involvement- release a book on their character design, cause I swear aside from a top-notch, suspenseful story that continually delivers cliffhangers, that book blows me away near-every issue with some crazy new visual monstrosity. I'd love to know their process.

• 1 month later...

first issue of Ed Piskor's X-men Grand design: Second Genesis dropped last week and it's pretty great. Keeps up the momentum of the first two issues/ part and has some crazy-fun moments from X-history I never knew about!

Best part is he shows his research/source material in the back of each issue. I've picked up the window box variants for each #1 so far as a keepsake for Til, but the regular covers are great as well.

Image result for x-men grand design second genesis window box

• Really Like 1

• 1 month later...

Picked up Venom 1 and 2 tonight (I would have picked up the first 4, but they were missing #3) and its fuuuun. I've always loved Venom, but admittedly its mainly for aesthetics. He's a badass looking dark Spider-Man. I've never paid too much attention to his stories, but always wanted to. This is a cool jumping on point it feels like and giving some history on Brock and leading the lore of Symbiotes to cool places. Plus the art is gorgeous.

Also picked up the first issue of Bully Wars by Skottie Young and it's fine. Not exactly hooked though, especially since he isn't the one drawing it. I love I Hate Fairyland, but this isn't exactly the follow up I wanted. But that could all change after reading a few more.

• 3 months later...

Been reading alot lately! 

Reading some of those Infinity Warps. Arachknight #1 is neat. And Sleepwalker's new stuff is very cool. Kinda feels like they are just using him as a way to have other warped heroes piggyback on him, but I'm ok with that if that means more Sleepy. 

Also read Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 and Old Man Frank Castle is great. I love the art in this one and am looking forward to reading more. 

Getting caught up on Cates' Venom. I love the history they gave the Symbiotes here and the relationship building between Eddie and Venom. Carnage Born is looking to be a good time too. 

Lastly I rented Batman: Odyssey from work. That any good? It looks like it's absolutely nuts. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 years later...

finally caught up on my queue of monthly stuff again, trying out other books

Monsteress - really need to make a thread for this one; i'm 10 issues in and it's just fantastic.  the art is amazing, the entire world/lore are crazy interesting.  i'd be surprised if this one never becomes an animated/show. 

ill try to sum it up better in said thread, just dark fantasy stuff with so much world-building going on, but in a way that i really look forward to where the journey leads (even if it's always going to be bloody).

We Only Find Them When They're Dead - tried this out for al ewing's writing, one issue in but i'm intrigued.  basically, space mineral colonizing dried up, and what appear to be massive gods occasionally show up in corners of the cosmos, but as the title says, only when they've expired.  crews race to claim & harvest flesh/bits they can sell...it's pretty crazy.  i think it's up to 7 issues, we'll see if it holds up.

Murder Falcon - He's a falcon that murders monsters, for justice.  only, he's powered by heavy metal?  i only found one issue, but it was dumb fun, and i refused to believe tenacious D isn't somehow responsible here.

Hellblazer: Rise and Fall - i'm less familiar with tom taylor, but darick robertson's art is always welcome, especially when drawing demons.  it's a 3 parter that just tied up, and a really solid stand-alone hellblazer story about john's fucked up past ever catching up to him, which i've missed.  bonus points now that constantine's been openly bisexual for a minute too.

Spider-Man: The Spider's Shadow - chip zdarksky's nearly done (5 issue) mini-series of "What if Peter didn't stop wearing the symbiote?"...shit is dark.  we'll see if he nails the landing, but with all the peter david minis of black suit spidey these days, this one has been a lot more enjoyable for me. 

Alien - Marvel picked the rights back up to this one recently, and larocca's pencils aside, i don't really know the talent.  Alien(s) is a lot like Highlander and other properties for me, where i want to love it but most of what's out there is kind of shit (though i'm told a lot of Dark Horse's stuff was enjoyable), so it's only 4 issues so far but i've been digging this.  likewise, Aliens: Aftermath just started & is a fun follow up to the 2nd movie.

more to come - was gonna get back to Black Science at some point, and try out The Old Guard as well.

• 5 months later...

Batman: One Dark Knight - not familiar with Jock, but i like their art and story here so far. its issue 1 of (?) and it feels like batman done like dread/the raid, at least next issue.

Cloaked - speaking of bat stories, i've been largely burned out by "batman, but (x)" type stories for ages now (i blame millar), but this take seems interesting so far. only one issue in so ill make a thread if it stays consistently good.

Wolverine # 19 - part jaws, part highlander...i like wolvy stories like this, good standalone issue.[/b]

Amazing Spider-Man #82 - also a standalone, Ahmed is such a great writer. hospital horror stuff here, great change of pace for the book.

Moon Knight #6 - vamps, avatars, a newish villain, this book is already better than the volume prior.

Devil's Reign - really wish more folks read Zdarskys daredevil run, its the best one in ages and he's doing something big in this clearly-between-volumes event book. the setup feels slightly like "what if civil war 2 loomed, but it was interesting and not something bendis shat out"

oh, and it should tie up soon, but any fan of classic ninja turtles should 100% be reading The Last Ronin

• 2 months later...

The Nice House on the Lake #1 - damn, that's how you open a horror book. shin megami tensei vibes...gonna catch up on this & make a thread if it holds up

Batman: Killing Time - this was a fun heist book, so that's 2 bat minis i'm following

Radio Spaceman - literally down for whatever in mignola's universe, this space adventure is a departure from the usual settings and fun so far

also the first few issues of She-Hulk, Strange and Ghost Rider have all been good enough to keep up with them for a bit