Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Should I just fuck off back to the crap shack or swing back with my hate of Ultimate Spiderman?

Nah man, stay as long as you like, but if you do go... please take Ultimate Spidey wit ya (sorry Bendis)!! Ultimate Spidey IS suckin' these days!!

While your at it take MK Spidey too!!

Edited by Da Cap'n

Yes, please take the MK one...Millar left, then i dont know what the fuck happened, but it went all bad.

At this point, Spidey could order Wolvy to go make him a pina colada, and :D could whine that he's busy crocheting, and id be like "sounds about right for this title."

Y: The Last Man # 33-34 - "Girl on girl" is...hot. Great :D story too.

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «
Cant go wrong with Vaughan.

Anyone reading Spider-Man: Breakout? Is that any good? Ive been lookin at this interestin vamp one, Damn Nation, and thanks to Z-Cult, i now have Kenishin and Vagabond, which is amazing, but i'm knee deep in Berserk...Cap'n: the story keeps goin, and its crazy man, youd love it.

ps dont bother with any of the slasher books - Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street etc...all crap. Oh, and in fianlly read Toxin..not much better.

House of M #2: ENOUGH ALTERNATE REALITY! THERE'S A SERIOUS SITUATION IN THE REGULAR MARVEL CONTINUITY THAT NEEDS ATTENTION!!!!! It was nice to see... well you know, the same thing we see in any X-Men ish that gets the chance. I'm just wary of Bendis' big ol' wind-up which leads to inevitably low-yield.

uh...you do know much of House of M looks to be in alternate reality, right?

Captain America # 1-7 - Finally got all caught up, and Brubaker's making characters & an old line i havent cared about since Mark Waid wrote it pretty damn interesting. Older characters i always took to be something of a joke are given a closer look at during wartime, and Cap'n was right - its way better than the books been in years.

Then again, last time i read it, it was just after 9-11 when Cassady was drawing it, and then only for the first arc.

Amazing Spidey #521: I'm kinda liking this direction they're going with this new arc! I didn't at first, but I've warmed up to it! I guess Stracznski thought of givin' Peter some Avenger's villians, cause he's an Avenger now! It's a good thing too!! I don't know what I'd do if I saw another Goblin story!! I also am liking how JMS is making Hydra more badass! They're pretty serious now!!

Runaways (vol.2) #5: More surprizes!! The pace never slows this issue!! 6th issue should be awesome!!

Young Avengers #5: I LOVE THIS BOOK!! I don't know why, but I'm really enjoying this one!! I know that it's the Teen Titans of the Marvel Universe, but I don't care! The art, the writing... this is one of my favorite books out right now!!

uh...you do know much of House of M looks to be in alternate reality, right?

Yeah, but that all has it's place in the numerous tie-in issues. I figured the core book would deal with the core issue: The fate of Wanda Maximoff. I think the Ultimate Spidey Hobgoblin arc has made me horribly impatient when it comes to Bendis now...

So who reckons they got a bead on the ending?:D

I do.

ps on Cap'n say-so, im gonna read Young Avengers soon, if i can ever put Berserk down.

Nick, my offer stands for scanned books. I got everything current on Young Avengers & whatever else you're jonesin'. Tell me how & I'll make it happen.

walking dead is oen of the best books I've ever readm and some of the best zombie fiction i've ever experienced. Unfortunately I have every issue except 14, so I've gotta scour the orlando comic shops for it so i can get on with the story. In my downtime however, I've been reading Y the last man and that is one helluva book too. THe writing is a little spotty sometimes, and the characters often sound like the same person (for example, whenever anyone but yorick makes witty reference to a movie or book I cringe), but man, afetr the 10th issue or so I don't even really notice, I'm hooked, it's smart and extremely funny. I also read the first two issues of "Just a pilgrim" and I was mildly entertained by it. I'm a big enough ennis fan but it;s just not that interesting, the art is OK and the ennis-isms of people getting screwed over in funny ways are cute but nothing really gets me into it.

Also, so far wolverine the end is pretty lame. And the art blow both my nuts and some otehr dudes at the same time.

I agree with pretty much everything Junker said there. Pilgrim is kinda fun but easily forgettable, Ennis is in much, much better form on Punisher (current Max series).

Wolverine: The End only gets worse as you go, seriously...do yourself a favor and quit now.

Did anyone check out the Pilgrim sequel Garden of Eden? More forgettable than the first series. Now if we could only forget about Wolverine: The End...

Young Avengers #5: Love this book. The art's crisp, the dialogue's very Bendis(without the "Bendis"), the story's a little convoluted, but I'm not gonna argue with the rollercoaster I'm being taken on.

New Avengers #6: Definitely Bendis' best work at this point, there's a lotta heart in this book. Looking forward to seeing what they do with Sentry.

Ok, here's a few of this week's comics:

Ultimate Spidey #79: Warriors: Part 1! One word... better! Better than some of the "Ultimate Sadness" Bendis has been puttin' out lately! He's still one of my favorite writers, but that guy PISSES ME OFF with all his "tuchas" shit!! STOP HAVING ALL YOUR FUCKING CHARACTERS (JEWISH OR NOT) SAY THAT FUCKING WORD!!! Jeez!! It really pisses me off to no end!!

House of M #3: Wolvie spotlighted (Nick and Skeet will looove this ish)! Great issue!! Bendis is still doin' it in the "Regular Marvel U"!! He didn't use "that word" either!! *shudder* Thank God!!

Shanna the She-Devil #6 (of 7): This one's almost done and that makes me sad!! I'm really liking this book!! Hopefully they'll give Cho an on-going (till then give me some Zombie King)!! Frank Cho's art is superb!! That fuckin' guy can draw tits in action better than anyone on the planet!! I bow to Frank Cho's tits!!

Marvel Team-up #10: That Kirkman!! Remember when we used to say that about Bendis, The Nick? His Fantastic 4: Foes sucks, but this book is tops!! Damn near EVERYBODY makes an appearance this issue (anybody you care about, at least)! Spidey, DD, Wolvie, Cap, Moon Night (I like Moon Night) and guess who saves the day!! Your Friendly Neiborhood... Skull-Chested Psycho!! That Kirkman!!

Daredevil VS Punisher #1: WOAH!! The whole time, while reading this book, I was thinking: "Nick is gonna LOVE this shit"!!! Holy crap... I didn't have too high a hopes for this, but damn was I wrong!! Can't wait for issue #2!! Nick read this ASAP, cause I wanna know what you thought about it!

Fantastic Four: House of M #1: Hands down, my favorite book this week (what the fuck is going on?)!! Ingeniously written!! WOW!! It's also got Scot Eaton on the pencil duties!! I love that guy (don't ask me what else he's done, cause I forgot)!! The whole book is awesome, but that last page I'm gonna dream about for weeks to come!!

Ironman: House of M #1: Not as good as the "FF: House", but better than that Spidey one!! I'm likin' what they're doin' with this one!!

Fear Agent Preview: Big ups for Titus for throwin' this in my box and the comic store (they only got 6 copies and he thought enough of me to throw me an ish)!! It's penciled by (holy shit)... TONY MOORE and CORY WALKER!!! It's some sci-fi shit, but it looks cool! I give a go when the monthlies start!

Oh yeah!!

Zombie Tales #1: Picked this one up the other day! Cool shit!! It's collected stories by random writer/artists that depict thier perspective on the undead apocolypse!! Some serious, some funny... all good!! Try this one as an "inbetween" Walking Dead!!

Damn that was a more than just a few!! I'll be back with more later!!!

Skeet - Garden had the zombies, right? Yeah....

Capn - Good reviews man, sounds like a great week! I'm gonna have to agree with you on the tuchas thing, its really outta place with some characters. Ive got no hard time with odd thugs in DD universe using it, but i dont think Peter would, and i swear Wolvy once did... :2T:

Im with you on Frank Cho's tits (he's no slouch on ass either, tho your boy J. Scott Cambell might still run that dept...we should do a poll!), but i quit on Shanna after like issue 3. Is it really worth it?

Ill look for DD vs Punisher and all the M books, youre right bout the Spidey one tho..interestin alternate story, but it didnt do as much for me, just seein that Peter too can be a dick.

Ive got Powers, Invincible, Age of Apocalypse, Young Avengers (movin up the queve from everyone's praises), Ultimate FF, Seven Soldiers, Wolverine: Soultaker (eh), and since SB pushed it more, DD: Redemption all waiting to be caught up on, but i just cant put Berserk down till im caught up...im on volume 24, theyre up to 30 now...

Ultimate Spider-Man # 79 - Man, i didnt even read 78, no idea how that hobgoblinness ended but i really didnt care anymore. This was much better, its like that old Miller Amazing Spidey "War of the roses" or somethin like that, crime war arc.

Peter's gettin more character, i like it. Not sure what all the oyoyoy and tuchas is about, but anyway....the "spider-man/parker no more" stuff was fun too, it feels more and more like classic Amazing Spidey to me these days.

Hammerhead sure is busy lately, too.

Daredevil vs Punisher # 1 - Here's hammerhead again...good, plays off the classic stories, and another mob war is brewing, but....i dunno, i think the DD and Punisher solo books lately are spoiling me, cause i have a hard time enjoying books about these characters that arent written like them....Murdock has a bit of character here, hating Pun for making him defend the scum, but its nowhere near the depth of Bendis' stuff, and Punisher...he's good, but the grouchy old Ennis one is all i care about these days.

House of M # 3 - I get it now...

Y: The Last Man # 35 - "Girl on girl" ends, and it was a cool arc. Im intrigued as to where it goes next (might be japan, now that the tall isrealis are on the loose again).

Next up: Shaun of the Dead # 1, Wizard, Iron Man: House of M, Green Lantern # 2, Hellboy: The Island # 1, Pulse # 9, mebbe that Oz manga one, but all this when Berserk's done, im on volume 28 or 30 so far....

All Star Batman & Robin # 1 - Its hard not to like Jim Lee and Frank Miller, but i wasnt as into this one until the last page or so, honestly. Its fun -

but otherwise a solid book, im expecting a lot from this one tho.

PVP # 7 - Ok im readin this one regularly now, its pretty funny fanboy shit. This is what id hoped for from Dork Tower.

Shaun of the Dead # 1- Fun, but its just the movie interpreted, that never really does much for me.

New Avengers # 7 - There's characters here that i dont enough about to say if theyre necessarily out of character, but...anyway, its a solid issue, with excellent art, and im hyped to see where this new arc goes...I thought i knew about Sentry from Jenkin's great mini, but that last page....shit.

Punisher # 23 - This arc feels less tight than it initially did, but im starting to see an overall plot here.....again, this is way more interesting than a Punisher book's ever been, for me. Ennis can do no wrong when he's matched with a character like this.

Girls # 2 - We'll see...im not enjoying it as much as Ultra, but the Luna bros still have my interest for the time.

Much more to come: im finally downloading David Mack's Kabuki collection, the current run of Distirct X, and there's stil Berserk left to go...

Finallly got caught up on....

Ultimate Fantastic Four # 21 or so? i dont recall... - The Negative Zone arc was fun, i enjoyed that and miss both Ellis & Kubert. The following arc was alright, but the current issue features...Ultimate Marvel crossing over with original Marvel U?!

Young Avengers # 5 - Ok, i didnt get to finish this issue, but i read 1-4, and its a really cool book. Builds off Marvel U way more than even Runaways does, as much of it seems to be figuring out the links between these kids and the old Avengers lineup...lotta fun surprises tho, definintely worth checking out.

Ok... this weeks books! A little late, but I've been busy this week! I'll also try to skip books that Nick has already reviewed! Here we go...

House of M #4: GIMME MORE! GIMME MORE!! I'm lovin' the core House of M book!! Wolvie being the main focal point is great! Bendis is writing Nick's boy awesome! I was scared at first, cause I thought that he might start to get outta character! He's the only one that knows something is wrong in the world, but Bendis is writing beautifully!! I also like how he's using Luke Cage, too! Oh and the return of... lets just call him "The Archer"!! Ah screw it... HAWKEYE'S BACK!!!! I like this idea, but he's gonna stay dead in the regular Marvel U, isn't he? Wizard was talkin' bout the return of all these dead characters, but I don't think this counts, does it? I mean... Alternate Universe, hello! I LOVE Hawkeye, but stay dead, will ya!

Secrets of the House of M One Shot: Informitive little book that helps you fill all the cracks in the House of M world! You know, like a sourcebook? Good stuff! I just don't like that certain characters are sittin' this craziness out! Where's DD and Punisher... and Galactus!! He needs to be Magneto's bodyguard or something! Bendis don't hate on the Galactus, man!!

Ultimate Spidey #80: Warriors part 2! Good book! Bendis continues to move along nicely! I think I like the Ultimate Spidey "crime stories" more than the "savin' the city from geneticly altered super-monsters stories"!!

Wolverine #30: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. part 5! Nick isn't likin' this arc, cause it ain't livin' up to the hype of Wolvie going on a killing spree like was advertised... but I like it! I can see what he's saying though! Well whatever, it'll be over soon and Millar will be gone and then the book is REALLY gonna suck (just be happy with what you got, The Nick)!!

Red Sonya #1: The art is BEAUTIFUL!! The story... ok! I don't know about this one... half naked chick and allstar cover artists might not be enough for me this time! We'll see... I'll give a chance for a little bit longer...

Daredevil #75: Decalogue finale! Holy shit!! If Bendis where to drop alllll his projects and just stick to one... DD should be it (Oh and Ultimate Spidey)!! It's too bad that his run on this book is finishing up! Damn! I don't think another writer could keep up this greatness! Maybe Ennis or Ellis (I don't know... lets make a poll)!!

Astonishing X-Men #11: Hands down, best X-book out there! We know this already!

P.S. Professor X, you sneaky little telepath you!

Ultimates 2 #7: Shit! Is! Heating! Up!! All this building up that Millar is doing is finaly paying off! HAWKEYE NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Marvel Knights Spidey #16: Ok, ok... I know that I previously said that this book was going down the drain! Well the toilets clogged and it's comin' back up... (that was the worst analogy I've ever come up with)! Yeah... it's getting a little better! Thats a good thing, cause Hudlin is part of this BIIIIIG Spidey story at the end of the year and he can't screw that shit up! JMS is heading it up and he said that shit gonna go down in the Spideyverse that is gonna change it... FOREVER!! How many times have they said THAT shit?!

Spidey Unlimited #10: I love this book! I just love to read stories of the world around Spider-Man! I was sad when they took "Tangled Web" away, but this shaping to be the same book! Great stuff!!

Army of Darkness: Shop till you Drop Dead #4: I was at grips with myself at the comic book store trying to decide which of the two covers of AoD to buy!! One where Ash is bustin' through an isle at S-Mart with Boomstick ready to lay down the law or a back shot of Ash dressed up like Elvis!! Man, thats a tough one... so I got 'em both!! Can't wait till the ongoing!!

New Avengers #7: Sentry part 1! This book blew me away!! I don't get it... (Sentry's the one Marvel character I know nothing about)! Oh that Bendis!

Allstar Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder #1: Sadly, I kinda agree with Nick on this one! Come on Frank... forget the stupid half naked chicks and get to the goods!! I don't know if I like Jim Lee's art over Frank Miller's writing either! It doesn't feel right...

Ultimate Fantastic 4 #21: Crossover part 1! Huh...?! I liked the book, but I hope that Millar does something to explain that last page! I thought they where crossing over The Ultimate Marvel U with The Regular Marvel U! Did we just crossover into The Walking Dead U? *scraches head*

Hunter-Killer #3: I like it, but I don't think it's gonna be on my list much longer...

Invincible #24: Bring on the rogues!! Thats what this book was missin'! A cool rogues gallery for Invincible! I can't wait for #25 and the first apperence of Science Dog!! This is my second favorite title out right now!! Oh that Kirkman!!

NYX #6: Ok, let's just get this one over with! X-23 already made her first apperence! They stopped Amazing Fantasy after Spidey's intro!! Well wait... Quesada just introduced this new character thats pretty cool (not the cat chick)! He's some black kid that can "enter" other bodies with his spirit! The cool thing is that he uses these powers for evil!! And what a sweet evil it is!! He "enters" some hot chick (not like that) and starts to play with her tits (you know you'd do that if you could?)! He also had a cool name too... Felon! Admit it, thats cool!

Punisher #23: Up is Down... part 5! I love this book, but I just don't like how Frank is kinda outta character in this ish! I just don't think he'd... DO what he DID! I mean, why the fuck does he go around trying to avenge his wife and shit and then he's DOING that? Maybe, I'm just jelous...

The Walking Dead #20: Kirkman is really letting the pot boil, isn't he? Good set up issue! Not much happens (except little set ups) and the ending! Thank God! I was really hating that guy!! I got a feeling the next two issues are gonna be intense!

Zombie King #0: Comic of the Week!! Holy crap!! I'll never look at hamburgers the same ever again... thats all I gotta say!!!

Woah... that was a pretty good week!

Good post :blink: , i gotta lotta books this week aparently...first up, just finsihed:

Wolverine # 30 - Dammit, just call this book Elektra, or "the baddest ninja ho, and her sidekick".

Last issue, he's practially afraid of her, this one he's so scared when she's hurt, he forgets he was trained as a goddamn samuria before she was born. Where was i when she joined his league? This reeks of late 90's shit.

Millar: its been fun, now leave m'boy to whoever's next (i hope its someone cool), and please let Greg Rucka know i miss him.

more to come...

This week wasn't the greatest of weeks for comic collectors, but he's the books anyways:

Fantastic Four #529: Stracznski still doin' his thing, but a weeker issue this week! Next issue supposed to be big so I'll stick with it... for now!

Spidey: House of M #2 (of 5): A little better than the first issue, but not by much! I'm really enjoying some of the other House of M spin-offs, but my Spidey ain't deliverin'! Oh well, this HoM shit is really for the Avengers and X-Men anyway!

Black Panther #6: Crap in a bag-n-board!! They really dropped the ball on this one! This was gonna be the big climactic ending to the first arc... what the hell happened?

Hellboy: The Island #2 (of 2): As usual, Mignola delivers (in his "I can't understand what happened, but it was still cool" style)! Can't wait for his next (Hellboy) project!

Daredevil VS Punisher: Means and End #2: Good shit..., but I liked the first issue better! I still think Nick should like this more than he does! I know, these characters shouldn't mix outside of thier current corebook writers, but it's cool to see them around more than just when thier books come out!

Is it me or does the Jackal look like the Grinch in this book? *Singing* "You're a foul one, Mr. Jackal..."!

Superman/Batman #21:Man, this book doesn't come out fast enough for me!! Probably my favorite DC book out (I don't read much DC)!! I love how Jeph Loeb has created his own version of the Avengers in this arc! AND THEY KICKED SUPERMAN AND BATMAN'S ASS ON TOP OF IT (did I say too much?)!!! Shit... if you ain't readin' this, go get yourself the trades, get yourself caught up and start gettin' the issues! You won't regret it! I'm straight Marvel and I love this book!!!

Amazing Spidey #522: I'm REALLY liking this arc that Straczynski has cooked up! I never thought that Hydra would work in the Spidey U, but I was wrong!! Fun little Wolvie cameo too!

The Pulse #10: House of M tie-in featuring Hawkeye!! I honestly think this WHOLE HoM shit is going down just to bring Clint back!

*Singing* "You're a sly one, Mr. Bendis..."!

Runaways #6: Book of the week!! Damn, Vaughan is diggin' into the Marvel archives... DEEP!! I love it!! He's creating this whole new "universe" in Cali!! Lettin' the world know that the superhero gene pool goes farther than NY! BIG TIME new development in in the book thats gonna blow you away! And all it took was one panel!

Thats it for this week! I bought some other stuff, but mostly back issues and shit! See ya next week!!!