Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Nick, Morries done some real good work in the industry, but I'll be embittered til the day I die about his messing with Hank like that. Say, does anyone remember Mutant X & their version of McCoy? Hell, their Iceman was the fucking tits.

Did you read his New X-Men run? if you did, you wouldnt say shit about the cat look, serously. Grant wast he best thing to happen to X-books in 10 years, ill go that far. You and Ly are really, really missing out and gonna feel crusty when you finally read that book, I still prolly woudlnt read the title if he hadnt made it so good. Even Whedon's run woudlnt be around right now without him.

100 Bullets # 76 - Here we go; lines are being drawn, the Trust is being thinned out, and shit's heating up. This was the first issue in a bit that really reinforced the idea that the book's gonna end one day.

Wolverine: Origins # 7 - Good, like usual for this book, tho a bit slow in the waiting-to-be-past-this-scene dept. The backstory (what im bascially readin ti for) was great, showed where the "memory implants" actually came from.

The Boys # 3 - Haha...more team building, more superhero/JLA-hate. I enjoyed it, but next month's issue (the action) is gonna tell me a bit about the book that ive been waiting to see.

Ultimates # 12 - HOLY SHIT IT SHOWED UP...its not the finale, but it showed up.

Well, there's not much left for # 13, im thinking....basically, the whole they-look-really-fucked-now angle of our heroes for the last 2-3 issues and uh, year+ of wait went right out the window, as every level of Ultiamte calvary that coudl show up, did, and now there's pretty much just one villian left standing....i imagine next issue's gonna be about who's on and who's not on the team (fuck you, Pym), but i wish theyd just hurry the oversize glossy HC already.

Lot more books left this week.

Did you read his New X-Men run? if you did, you wouldnt say shit about the cat look, serously. Grant wast he best thing to happen to X-books in 10 years, ill go that far. You and Ly are really, really missing out and gonna feel crusty when you finally read that book, I still prolly woudlnt read the title if he hadnt made it so good. Even Whedon's run woudlnt be around right now without him.

100 Bullets # 76 - Here we go; lines are being drawn, the Trust is being thinned out, and shit's heating up. This was the first issue in a bit that really reinforced the idea that the book's gonna end one day.

Wolverine: Origins # 7 - Good, like usual for this book, tho a bit slow in the waiting-to-be-past-this-scene dept. The backstory (what im bascially readin ti for) was great, showed where the "memory implants" actually came from.

The Boys # 3 - Haha...more team building, more superhero/JLA-hate. I enjoyed it, but next month's issue (the action) is gonna tell me a bit about the book that ive been waiting to see.

Ultimates # 12 - HOLY SHIT IT SHOWED UP...its not the finale, but it showed up.

Well, there's not much left for # 13, im thinking....basically, the whole they-look-really-fucked-now angle of our heroes for the last 2-3 issues and uh, year+ of wait went right out the window, as every level of Ultiamte calvary that coudl show up, did, and now there's pretty much just one villian left standing....i imagine next issue's gonna be about who's on and who's not on the team (fuck you, Pym), but i wish theyd just hurry the oversize glossy HC already.

Lot more books left this week.

I said nothingabout him, just Beast as a fucking cat. By the way, which part of New X-Men? I've been reading it since Decimation, is there something I've been missing (I admit, I need to read the issues before it)?

Yeah, Origins 7 was a bit slow, other than that.

no, i mean before decimation, about 2001 on...when the adjetive-less X-Men (i think it was that one) was named "New X-Men", now that's a whole other title, as i understand it...ill dig up the issue #'s and see if i can find you a torrent later this week, again its really worth it.

It starts with the arc/TPB "E for Extinction".

• 1 month later...

no takers on the morrison run? i got it all scanned now. Ima try to toss a disc of it into skeet's care package from panch if i cain, oughta get ont to Ly too...you guys just dont know.

Civil War # 5 - Best of the week, read the thread.

Girls # 16- im strangely still with this odd book, if this was anyone but the Luna brothers i mighta ditched it. anyone know how long its going for?

Astonishing X-Men #18 - ...huh? skeet's right, its surreal.

I mean, i liked things like Whedon's usual great dialouge, and balls of yarn and shit but...the hellfire club was never there? this is just nova, right?

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

more to come, im sitting on a bunch of civil war tie-ins, action philsophers! # 7 and other books.

• 1 month later...

By the way: Civil War # 6 was awesome, Frontline # 10 was the best yet, and Wolverine # 49 was perhaps the single worst issue of this new volume. It's reminiscent of the crap i got from volume 1. Loeb better knock this Sabretooth fight in # 50 out of the park.

...oh! and Ultimate X-Men's current run on Cable has been pretty interesting, best in a bit id say, but this month's ending really jumped the shark. I dont know where Kirkman's going with that.

...fuck all that!! Nextwave # 11: the greatest thing evar!

is almsot all spreads, them vs the cyborg Stephen Hawking army, the elvis-MODOK's, the...fuck, you gotta see it. I adore this book.

Additionally: Daredevil # 92 was great, tied up the whole arc that i thought was going nowhere slowly. Bru owns this book, even if he did take the long, noir/mystery-ish way around the barn.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The Dark Tower: its up to # 2, and the writing/art's good. i might have to read this series yet.

Iredeemable Ant-Man: just got caught up to # 6...the title's right, he's a cock, but its good bendis fun with S.H.I.E.L.D. Id be surprised if this character lasts past thie mini.

New Avengers: Illuminati: I wasnt taken by the first issue (Kree/Skrull shit bores me, tho not as much as Shi'ar shit) # 2 was about the Infinity Gaunltet, and that was cool, im looking forward to the next one on the original Secret War, i think Bendis is having Brubaker-like fun writing these guys into marvel cannon.

I caught up on a lotta things, and dumped off more than a few books to narrow it down...i dont think this new, post-JMS Fantastic Four is gonna do it for me, for one. Ultimate X-Men and Spidey both were better in recent arcs than theyve been in a while, more to come.

PS Civil War - The Confession was prolly the best one-shot of the event, for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Not the best week for me, bookwise.

Civil War: War Crimes - i keep forgetting, not to read Frank Tieri...stupid, stupid, stupid. You think id remember, but its been years since Wolvy series 1 and uh, Weapon X series. :welcome:

Mighty Avengers # 2 - This team sucks, Im serious.

Stark - The uncle tom is the most interesting guy here.

Ares - I dindt read his mini. Hopefully, they fleshed him out a bit, cause he's a dimestore Thor here.

Jan - dont care.

Ms Marvel - note to bendis: i know you want her to be loved, to be the wonder wroman of marvel. I also didnt read her series. i know im still biased against these pro-reg kids, but im just not caring about her yet.

wonder man - fucka 2T, he's queer.

I dont even remember who else is on this team. I hope the new ultron with titties wins.

Ultimate X-Men # 81 - This was good; there's big revelations and just when i thougth "where are they gonna go now?" this issue's all about showing you the dangling plotlines.

Ultmiate Spider-Man - Sad to see Bendis/Bagley finally leave after a ground-breaking run, "Ultimate Marvel Knights" is a great take on a forced/failed MK idea from before, i dig it. I also like how Benis is making Ronin the madman of the Marvel U. PS moon knight is troubled.

Uncanny X-Men # ? - Bru has my attention for like 1-2 more issues tops. I read X-books for over a decade, but cant be made to care about the Sh'iar.

Girls # 24 - The Luna Brothers book finally ends. Girls was shorter and better, this one...i was interestd cause it was so odd, but felt like that late night movie on HBO that you keep watching even tho you know its not very good to see where it ends, then completely forget about it later? I dunno, i felt that way here.

Punisher: War Journal - Im about to drop this book and stick with Ennis' take.

Invincible # 40 - Prolly the best of the week, this is that book i occassionaly sleep on, then catch up & wonder why i did. Its great superheroics in its self-contained (largely) universe. 2 plotlines going, no idea who's gonna make it out alive from either, and im excited to see the next issue.

Lets get Ultimates # 13 and Planet Hulk going.

Didn't know where else to put this but...

Sherman Alexie, author of "Smoke Signals," "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven" and "Flight," who also wrote the introduction to Jason Lutes' "Jar Of Fools," has two projects at Marvel. One is a mini-series starring the Native American mutant inventor Forge, the other is a mature readers Daredevil MAX series.

Forge mini and Max Daredevil..?

• 1 month later...

Finally finished reading The Escapist, which was indeed a good book.

Punisher War Journal # 7 - is about to get dropped, soon.

Captain America # 26 - Best book of the week. It got delayed to let the fallout of last issue spread a bit, but this was really excellent, showed you that the supporting cast realy is strong enough to carry on without Steve. I cant beleive i actually care what Skull & Zola are up to, but the best stuff was

Sam's attending both wakes/playing politics while Winter Soldier took out a bar and realized he's gotta take down Stark somehow.

Ultimate Spider-Man # 109 - This "Marvel Knights" storyline is really top-notich, and its the first arc in a while that i really think ill have to get in TPB form. I was lukewarm to this title pretty much up to the recent Clone Saga (didnt care for Ultimate Deadpool, for one) but for Bagley's final arc on the book, he's really going out with a bang...DD, Spidey, Iron Fist, Moon Knight & Shang Chi unite to take down the Kingpin, and youre really seeing why its not enough.

Hellboy: Darkness Calls # 1 - Im behind on B.P.R.D., but i opted for this one, and...its shaping up to be a fun Hellboy book. I really cant add much here, you either dig this stuff or you dont, if youve enjoyed his previous books, it looks like this one could be great too.

American Virgin # 15 - With Y ending soon, this and 100 Bullets are the only Vertigo im reading right now. Im surprised im still reading this, but its got its moments.

X-Men 199 - Big fight, big event happens next month. Fight was good, forced romance between Iceman and Mystique (dude, that's Nightcrawler's mom) was odd.

Cable getting his psi-powers back for an issue and then losnig them was bullshit.

I was just greatful to not see any Shi'ar here.

More to come this week, im gonna try the video-game tie in books of Halo: Graphic Novel and Darkness level 3 soon. After that, its The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, the 28 Days Later tie in, and....Satan's Sodomy Baby?!

• 1 month later...

Great week for books.

Walking Dead # ? - the "slower" book, but it starts with the confession that's been forthcoming forever now, and a great reaction to it. The finale sets up a (hopefully) action-packed next issue...point is, this book simply doesnt dissapoint.

Invincible # ? - Second verse, same as the first: Kirkman's on with both books, albeit drastically different tones. This is one of those i put down every so many months & fall behind, then catch up and cant imagine why i did that. Kirkman's creating this whole universe around his main superhero, and i get hyped every time they learn about the Viltrimites or whatever it is - again, if you dig superheros and ultimate books, this is totally for you.

Amazing Sipder-Man # 539 - One part left in "Back in Black" and Peter's more on the edge than he's ever been....next month should see the kinda throwdown we usually only get out of DD. I cant wait.

Daredevil - Even if the idea of Matt's women constantly being in danger starts to wear thin, Bru still has you on edge this issue, unsure if Milla will make it out or not...either way, im impressed that every time i think Matt cant go futher over the law than he has, bru proves me wrong. Still Marvel's most consistently great book.

The Boys # 8 - Finally, things are tying together here, and the parod mecha-bats is on the spot...there's not much to add here. if youre an Ennis fan, youre on board; its the first time he's had his own book since like Hitman, and he plans on going for just about as long. I need the TPB in my life.

Ultimate Spider-Man - Well, it was a great arc. I think it jumped the shark a bit in the dealing with Kingpin, personally, but it was great character for both DD and Peter. Fine work all around, and farewell to Bagley, thanks for all the great art.

World War Hulk tie-ins: The X-Men book was better than i expected, not sure how they expect 3 or 4 issues out of it, but the first one was better than the Initiative-like one id envisioned.

Now, Frontline has this odd feel to it, as its about the "occupation" feel and kinda odd/slow, plus i dont know about others, but i think Sally's a shitty character ever since she told off Captain America (right before his death, natch) about how america's about paris hilton and he needs to accept that or some such bullshit. Fucking whore.

X-Men # 200 - Carey's doing what he can with Ramos' awkward "everyone with big lips & tits" thing going, and the books got some exciting shit, but ill be honest, ive been reading since this creative team came on a few months back, and i still dont know what's going on. Rogue's got a virus from where again? Why are Mystique and Mastermind on the team, again? Where'd Sabretooth go? Why the hell are Sunfire and fucking Gambit damn near killing Cable, didnt he have his powers again the other issue? Its an interesting mess.

X-Men: Endangered Species - This was the single most interesting X-book ive read in a long time, asks a lot of the right questions that needed asking. Its almost a shame this whole event's gonna be in the hands of like every x-writer and be written as backup stories, cause you get the feeling that this book is taking it more seriously than the others will...we'll see.

X-Factor # 20 - Madrox pulls a 300, which is awesome, as is Quicksilver getting his....kind of. Still a solid read, thanks again to 2T.

Ultimate X-Men # 89 (?) - The Morlock issue - its classic x-men, its just, it leaves you off with the team all over the damn place, still in dissaray....boy, that Cable arc really did change this book completely. We'll see where it goes, im still on board but i gotta admit, this current artist is weak, looking back at who we've had before.

Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty # 9 - Its towards the end, and the dream sequence with Raiden's past actually added to it; as a big MGS fan, this issue was great. its just that...Ashley Wood's art should only be in motion on PSP's, having seen that, i know it can work, just not...static, without voice-overs.

busy week, more to come.

heh.

i keep telling myself "one day ill buy comics again" but i just wanna read em and then buy the trades of the good ones. i dont wanna archive them all anymore, id just be buying them, reading them then resellnig or givin em to panch or something...wait, dont tell him that.

American Virgin # 16 - good, if youre enjoying the book so far. I went with this one over the Exterminators or whatever else, still havent dropped it yet so its worth a read.

Fallen Son # 6 - not as good as some of the others here & there, but it really had its momenst, and Cassady on the pencils made that happen for me. Stark just comes off so awkward to me here, its like he's practially the undertaker. Also,

its one thing to lie about the location of his shield to the public, but his body too, really? Why is Steven in Atlantis, cause he floated up there a while back?

Piont is, ill likely get the trade on this series.

Mighty Avengers: Most Wanted Files - Its a fun sourcebook if you still dig the Marvel Universe cards with the power meters, and pretty up to date.

Punisher # 49 - End of "Widowmaker", an Ennis series better than "Kitchen Irish" but not nearly as good as "Mother Russia" or even "Man of Iron", wonder what # 50 has planned? I hope its something solid 1-issue like "Do not fall in New York" or the start of a good event too. This book's solid.

Also, Baraccuda mini ended, about as comically as it began.

Silent War # 6 - Uh...holy shit. Not all got patched up like youd think, is all im gonna say...Jenkis just left the Inhumans, well, proper fucked. What comes next?!

Propes again to this writer for continuing my interest in a formerly boring group, i wish Bru coulda done that for the Shi'ar. How he tried.

Thunderbolts # 115 - BWHAHAHA that's all im gonna say. Something id wanted to see happen since this dark book started, happened. No clue what happens next, but youve got my interest, Mr Ellis.

Uncanny X-Men # 488 - Bru's down in the sewers with the Morlocks, and this feels more like an x-men book than the other 2 these days. Doesnt hurt that the "Endangered Species" story in the back keeps me gonig too, even if i have no idea what happened at the end.

Finally, the one everyone's kinda waiting on...

Y: The Last Man # 57 - This was a great, slow but important issue, i think.

Its the reunion, and it really fleshes out the character this book's been building.

I really dont need to say more than that; its 3 issues from ending, its a great series, you know all of this if youre reading it. Vaughn's at his best with stuff like this, cant wait to see how it ends.

Now, all i got left is Thor, Ultimate FF, Dark Tower, Astounding Wolfman, B.P.R.D & Hellboy: Darkness Calls, DMZ, Iron Man, few others, and....Loaded Bible: Jesus vs Vampires!?

• 2 months later...