Hondo's Bar

Hondo's Comics Journal

Da Cap'n

Just picked up the Ultimates2 HC and it's oh-so pretty. Has the variant sketch version of #1 and a whole bunch of unused sketches and the like. I forgot just how unique this book was and now when I compare it to Loeb/Maduera's Ultimates3 I see why everyone's pissed off.

i heard world war hulk had an awesome ending, lets see now what happens with the skrull.

I'M SORRY WHAT?

Just picked up the Ultimates2 HC and it's oh-so pretty. Has the variant sketch version of #1 and a whole bunch of unused sketches and the like. I forgot just how unique this book was and now when I compare it to Loeb/Maduera's Ultimates3 I see why everyone's pissed off.

Don't forget how Ultimates2 was worth reading. I didn't even want to finish reading Ultimates3#1.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Every time I go to Borders I say to myself "I'm going to buy comics off the rack like I've wanted to for years having not been able to due to being 2 hours from the nearest book store" and now since Border's is a 5 minute drive I go over, I spin the rack and am met with sadness. It all looks like such utter shit, though I almost regret not buying that Lobo/Supergirl Brave and the Bold. That was so random and stupid sounding that I ought to have bought it just for the novelty of having a bad idea.

after some prodding from panch, got caught up on a lot of my books. here's what's going on in em:

Ultimate X-Men #91 - Still a very fun book, and now Apocalypse is in town, fucking shit up. What's cool is even this far in, when theyve introduced more or less the full cast of characters, you still got no idea what the fuck theyre really gonna do. Is Cable really wolverine in the future, back to kill Xavier? Did the :confused: of our timeline just stab bishop? Why is nightcrawler crazy & running the morlocks, and shit, is colossus gay? who knows, shit's crazy! but you know, crazy-enjoyable, not like all-star batman.

X-Force # 1 - A black-ops team of :wolvy:, x-23, warpath & rhane, and so far, as a Messiah Complex spinoff, it's fun shit. it remains to be seen if it can last more than an arc, though: its fun to be hardcore for a bit, but after a while, i lose interest even in the Thunderbolts.

The Boys # something - Ok, were past glorious five year plan, and im hoping this arc does more for me, cause as it stands, its a fun book, but im thinking skeet & co might be right that it might not hit the heights of say, Hitman. I of course long to be wrong on this one.

Punisher- So Ennis' done here now, and that's sad but he went out with a bang, and honestly, if he didnt have any more great stories like Mother Russia, Man of Steel and such, id rather he call it a day than hang around and do crap like the last few arcs of volume 1 in his marvel knights run, where they fought squids and shit.

X-Factor # 24 - Much love again to 2T for this, cause honestly, its weird to say but most of the core X-books have been enjoyable again, since the shi'ar shit is done, and Messiah Complex seemed to have reinvigorated things for a bit, yet even saying that, this is the best x-book out. It took a team of people i cared nothing about and made it one of my top books.

Scud the Disposable Assassin # 21 (part 1 of 4, the finale!) is finally out, like 10+ years later, and its back in full swing, so baytor anyone of you that manages to read this fine series, its finally happening! if not, wait till june, im so getting that omnibus and passing it around.

Astonishing X-Men - So, now we're just waiting for the double-sized ending. I fear i may have to re-read this arc in trade again; panch might be right, the pacing/schedule is causing me to forget shit and get confused a lot in this book, and its not coming off as strong as i'd hoped.

The Walking Dead # 48 - Holy shit that was harsh. granted, that's the nature of this awesome book, but damn, didnt see that comin'....this has been the most intense arc so far, and i cant wait to see who's left from the original cast when the battle's done.

100 Bullets # 89? - yeah, skeet's right, that was a quiet death, but the major one looks to've happened off panel, although i cant assume shit since its all coming to a head, with Graves' team against whatever the Trust can put together.

All-star Batman # whatever - leaving the joker bits out (eh), this issue was surprisingly readable, and the idea of this being the dark knight returns, but year one, is fitting a bit better. nazi-titties dont hurt the notion.

Wolverine # any recent issue - oh my christ, i think we finished that godawful "everytime he dies, wolverine has to fight the angel of death in the spectral plane!" arc. someone please get guggenheim to go back to writing TV, or anything else.

Wolverine Origins # 21 - so, the past-revealing shit's on hold for a slapstick fight with Deadpool, and i'm alright with that.

still need to read Daredevil, Runaways, Ultimates v 3 and a few other books, including the end of American Virgin. Oh, but of course, even with some of these books having been great, nothing in recent memory came near Y: The Last Man # 60. I mustve re-read that one a t least three times.

Edited by Irish Ninja
added more books

• 3 months later...

Just read the Ultra Miniseries on Trade by Image. It made me laugh out loud like no comic has in a while. I would describe it as an earthy dialogue between female protagonists. In a "Powers" like environment, only much happier. Expect no whizbang special effects and very simple art and you get a story about superheroes that are off the clock. Give it a chance if it comes by your hands.

i think we got a thread for it somewhere...hey, did you know there was a TV pilot episode for this? i downloaded it but have yet to check it out (shitty QT format, but you might dig it, ill make a copy if you like).

Also, if you like the Luna brothers work, you might enjoy Girls, their crazy maxi-series on aliens and vagina.

• 2 weeks later...

Man some suprises this month...

Ultimates 3 #4: If the next issue doesn't start, end or contain some form of elaborate rickroll, I'll be completely convinced Jeph Loeb is submitting his scripts on round sheets of yellow cardboard crayoned in his own poop in the next padded cell over from Stan Lee. Shit is insane right now, and it's in no way enjoyable. The ratio's like, 70% confusing and 30% sad, like watching a re re play Sonic or something.

Wolverine #66: On Nick's recommendation I picked this up and wow. Completely fucking amazing. Leaving an allowance for anything yet to happen in Secret Invasion, I'm calling this one the bright star of 08. I especially love the revised map of the US.

Although villians taking over the world is getting kinda done a lot,

which leads me into...

Final Crisis #1: Sure it's DC and I have no idea what the status quo is, but in my sheepinh heart of hearts I'm a sucker for hype. Not to mention I'm treating this as a kind of Elseworlds story(which is probably adviseable for about 85% of all DC titles) in which Libra is turning everything on it's head, balancing out the values of the universe itself-said values being that truth & virtue will always triumph over evil- and giving the villians the day I thought they had in Identity Crisis. Oop! Martian Manhunter is dead. I don't even know if he was the one I liked from the JLA stuff back inna day so I'm okay with that. I'm not spoilering it either because not even Morrison treated the death with any kind of granduer, not to mention he'll still appear in whatever JLA crap's being churned out, and pre-crisis Manhunter'll be back at the end of this series to kill the human flame with a burning pike.

still afraid to read Ultimates 3, but i was happy to read Ellis is on Astonishing now that Whedon's hit & miss run is over.

Dropped Final Crisis and Captain Britain/M13 real quick despite recommendations. newt says to check out the Bru on Iron Fist.

shit-ton of good looking books came out this week though, so off to that!

Walking Dead # 50 was surprisingly quiet, but good.

Mighty Avengers & New Avengers this week both added a lot to the current Secret Invasion arc, was happy with both of em.

what's weird is, Ellis is still fun over in Thunderbolts 121, but his first issue so far on Astonishing X-Men was...between him and the artist, this may've been a creative mismatch. I'm kind of having a hard time finishing the issue.

Reading the Messiah CompleX HC right now and I can't believe the hype was right-this really IS the best X-men story I've read in the longest time, and not even in the guilty pleasure way that I dug 'The Twelve'. I have questions though that I don't want spoiled by Wiki.

Pleasegodpleasegodplease tell me

Layla Miller

isn't dead or lost in Bishop's timeline forever?! She's my favourite new character and aside from digging the shit outta her in House Of M, she accounts for the 35% of Xfactor's success that Madrox's antics doesn't.

So uh,

Gambit

is bad now? Was Bad? I guess this one I can wiki but he's working for Sinister and the Maruders and the next moment trying to save Rogue She's gonna have to be another wiki moment. Just, someone tell me it isn't 1997 again, and that I don't have to repeat year 10 in Toowoomba with the bad haircut, and the oh-so terrible ties we had to wear. I will takle a second pass at Kylie Schultz though. Bitch be fine...

• 1 month later...

Wizard got me suckered into Millar & Hitch's FF since apparently his three summer books(1984, FF & Old Man Logan) will all feature the same dimension-hopping nemesis who turns out to be Dr Doom's Mentor(much as I fucking hate these DBZ-style villiany-escalations I'm laying early cash and hopes on it being the Dark Raider alternate reality Reed Richards obsessed with killing his alternate selves). So anyways...

FF#558: 'The death of the Invisible Woman' starts here apparently, although at this point it's pretty common knowledge she's a Skrull, so who bloody knows? I'm not sure when Millar & Hitch jumped on, but there's so much Days of our lives plot shit going on right now it's not funny, including Johnny dating a bankrobber/villianess/member of the New Defenders(heroes? Vilians? Who knows?), Valeria getting a new nanny

and at the tender age of two or three being a shade less intelligent than Reed, unbenknownst to all except this shady new nanny

and amongst it all of course is Doom. Goddamnit I want the next issue of Old man Logan

The Boys #21- I tell you no Lie, G.I part 3- More origin stuff revealed on the Seven, and we see why Ennis' approach to 9/11 has both towers standing and no Brooklyn Bridge. All I'ma say on the matter is, Homelander may be the single most destestable & terrible character I've seen in a comic. I look forward to the wrap up next issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic Four #559- Same creative team as the Ultimates doing a book that's not so grounded really makes this seem more uhm, Fantastical(no pun, I just mean very fantasy, and if you fucks can find a synonym for that I'll be impressed), it's a regular story about an unidentified team of shadowy-whatsits whale on our heroes and kidnap their greatest Villian(for instructional purposes, today we present: Doom), but this team's all chock-full of intrigue. One member's the afore-mentioned Hooded Man, another is Johnny Storm's recently ex-girlfriend who's robbing banks to build their shadowy team of whatsits' HQ, and then there's

what I can only assume to be an alternate realiy Bruce Banner/Hulk: Smart/Strong & green edition.

This all ties in quite well with my presupposed theory as to the ID of the Hooded Man, but the real spoiler of this issue is what's powering the engine they're creating for assumed other-worldly purposes. Here's a clue:

He's a purple headed invader that brings tears to young girls and silver emmisaries alike

PS-- After years of seeing nick pine for it, I couldn't resist picking up the Scud The Disposable Assasin Omnibus. It's actually pretty cool.

Edited by Skeeter

yeah, im on board with FF as well (who wouldnt follow the Ultimates team?), and dying for the next issue of Old Man Logan as well.

really glad you dug Scud, but with The Boys - you saying you like Homelander as a villain or want to be past him? cause it feels like he's gonna be a central character from here, if what Butcher said about his family's past says what we all think it says.

Regarding the Homelander- I agree that he's made to be a central villian(hell, this arc has shown the ones that aren't just uninspired jackarses are pitiable like say, Princess Maeve), I'm just saying he's a terrible, terrible flawed/evil person/character and I've never been moved so by a hero or villian in that his final fate should reflect his actions. Most villians are either funny or cool, and the ones that do something very contemptable generally don't last long enough to really hate.

Man, got #67 & 68 of Wolverine: Old man Logan. Can always rely on Millar to leave us with a cliffhanger... Story's progressing nicely, what with blind Hawkeye who man infact simply be Stick from Man without Fear & annoyingly insistent Pacifist Logan taking a roadtrip across the newly mapped US to deliver what may be drugs but we all know's gonna turn out to be some cool-arsed weapon. Hammer Falls? Not named so predictably after supervillian Hammerhead like the rest of the New America, and you all should read to see why, because it's fucking cool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Well if you weren't such a prissy cunt I'd throw you my softcover Scud Omnibus.

Punisher omnibus has Welcome Back Frank, & from what I can tell the entirety of the Knights stuff(key ommision being that terribly unfortunate time-travelling with Nick Fury bs arc #8-12) as well as variant covers, a few scripts & interviews, and Punisher Kills the Marvel Universe.